Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DHWK-290

JonnieLPJonnieLP29 Posts: 11Member
Hey guys, I wanted to share my progress on my first ever 3D build, the HWK-290 freighter from STAR WARS. First thing I modeled is actually the main body, but I went on to the big vertical exhausts.

I haven't come insanely far, but that's my progress so far
Front
mbxs4gumbivsb7kzg.jpg?size_id=a
-> to see it better (material + lighting = bad :lol:)
xekek55b8hyoi19zg.jpg?size_id=a
Back
This is where I want your opinion, which one do you think is better? Or do you have an even better idea?
185k0bx2k61vg55zg.jpg?size_id=b
Nathan RubricLizzy777ashleytingerevil_genius_180lennier1
Tagged:

• rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    Are there any references to show what it's supposed to look like?
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Will Watch with interest. Hadn't noticed this ship before.
    kpgvx4ehrnmx.png
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    I like version two because the outer pieces are angled. I'd say, leave them that way and try two down the middle that meet at a point on the 5th cross piece from the top. Just an idea. It might look bad. The other option would be to do the same thing as you did in the front.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,233Member
    I like version 2 as well.

Holy hell there's a lot out there about the scale of this ship lol
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Ah yes, the Moldy Crow. Great ship. :)

It's a good start. Every project has to start somewhere. I agree with the others, I like V2 also.
  • JonnieLPJonnieLP29 Posts: 11Member
    After a long break I got back to modelling today. Left off with the Exhaust model and went on today with the rest of the Wing.
    fwdc06w5yke1.png
    xweq7taamlfl.png

What do you guys think about the air intake grills? Do you like them or would you change them? Colors and all are not final. Once I finish modelling this ship I'll texture it in Substance Painter. Looking forward to that as it is my first time doing that. =)
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777Freak
    otgablgilekm.png
    Continued my work a slight bit and added details to the back. Gotta rebuild the main hull unfortunately because there are some minor mistakes on it. Not sure how I'm gonna do it, but I'll get around it.
    evil_genius_180ora tzoLizzy777
    Those details are looking great.
    Continued my work on the HWK-290. Nearly all external parts are done now. Only missing the detailing and a proper way of connecting the Turret (Same as on the Millennium Falcon) to the Hull. How do you like the 2 new parts, are they too fine in detail in the sense of needing broader structuring or not? Not sure how to describe it. Maybe you still get the idea :p
    4fb6hpq2u2is.png
    Also added a small detail which is the docking port on the ship's roof. It is also the similar to the one on the Millennium Falcon as both are ships from the Corellian Engineering Corporation and hence would share certain parts.
    rr6vs09yao5y.png
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180Lizzy777
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,233Member
    It's coming along really well

Agreed. :)

Agreed. :)

Thank you =) More stuff coming soon hopefully
    New progress. Got around to put in viewports for the cockpit of the ship and also created a big chunk of the hull paneling on the main body of the ship. Really happy with how it turned out. Looking forward to how it'll look once it's all finished up :D
    30lrvfcicgc0.png
    P5ych0p4thevil_genius_180Lizzy777Brandenberg
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    I swear, that's the 3rd ship that I've started considering having a crack at modelling only to have someone else start it within a month of my thoughts. :D

Looking really nice so far. This, to me, was a great addition to the Star Wars canon. Always loved the Moldy Crow. :) Although it's a tough ship to get references for, one thing that stands out to me is the 'stilts' that you've got the vertical engines sitting on. The original material has the engine module extending down much closer to the 'wing' boxes that they sit on. Those boxes look a little more rounded as well.

This part here -
    ubozz13who9r.png

It could be an illusion based on the angle, but I'd suggest that your wings should be taller, as well. They look a little on the skinny side, at the moment.
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    edited September 2019 #16
    Another shot that may be helpful.
    uv31mcvzahdh.png

And I'm assuming you've seen it, but if not, Jason Lewis did a great high res Crow for a Dark Forces remake he's been working on that might be of use. https://www.artstation.com/artwork/A929GX

Obviously he's done a lot of work filling in detail that isn't visible in the source material, but I think he's done a pretty good job of it.

And one more for good measure.
    nectqx53d72w.jpg

Post edited by Comco on
    Comco wrote: »
    I swear, that's the 3rd ship that I've started considering having a crack at modelling only to have someone else start it within a month of my thoughts. :D

Looking really nice so far. This, to me, was a great addition to the Star Wars canon. Always loved the Moldy Crow. :) Although it's a tough ship to get references for, one thing that stands out to me is the 'stilts' that you've got the vertical engines sitting on. The original material has the engine module extending down much closer to the 'wing' boxes that they sit on. Those boxes look a little more rounded as well.

This part here -
    ubozz13who9r.png

It could be an illusion based on the angle, but I'd suggest that your wings should be taller, as well. They look a little on the skinny side, at the moment.

Thank you for your kind words. I might make the "stilts" a bit shorter, but I don't think I'll change them too drastically. The thing with this version of the HWK-290 is that I model it for a personal project and for that reason it is also customized to fullfill the needs of my personal project. Once I'll get to work on it again you'll see what I mean by that even more. And as you said, references are first of all hard to find and secondly quite different so it'll always end up as an interpretation of that ship =) .
    On a different note. Does someone happen to have a shader setup for Arnold that I could use for a STAR WARS look for the Ship's hull? Can't seem to get it look right myself unfortunately. Or maybe for Substance Painter. That would also be very nice :D