Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DVisualizing the Four Years War

ora tzoora tzo68 Posts: 17Member
edited September 2019 in Work in Progress #1
So I've wanted to do some pictures set within the Four Years war in the TOS aesthetic ever since Discovery came one.
Got three ideas for pictures but it's a matter getting the stuff together for it, at this stage my lack of texturing skills is whats getting the way of finishing this.

An Andorian ship weaving through a destroyed city in the fog.
unknown.png

Explorers older and new. A ship in the starfleet museum style and a FASA Destroyat.
An.png

A listening post near the Klingon border.
LP2.png

And here's where the WIPs will go.
Post edited by Guerrilla on
evil_genius_180Lizzy777
Tagged:

• FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Nice start.
    I look forward to seeing where you go with this.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Nice to see my Buckner-Class is still around, looking forward to this!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice start on everything. I love the Starfleet Museum style ship.
  • ora tzoora tzo68 Posts: 17Member
    edited September 2019 #5
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Nice to see my Buckner-Class is still around, looking forward to this!

Yeah I liked your model, thought I could use it as the transitioning point into the FASA style models for this mashup of the two.
    Nice start on everything. I love the Starfleet Museum style ship.

I've just bashed this together quickly, but here's what the Marklin could look like taking up some SFM details. Already its more palatable I reckon.

unknown.png
    Post edited by ora tzo on
    evil_genius_180RekkertLizzy777
    edited September 2019 #6
    I like that a lot, and I'm not even a fan of the Marklin class. It looks like you thinned out the back some, which makes it look more appealing, in my opinion.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Nice idea! I look forward to seeing more.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1999 Central OhioPosts: 1,233Member
    Love what you're doing. Four Years War was always an interesting concept I wish they'd done something with in canon. This looks very cool.
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Very nice work you are doing. It is amazing how little information there is on the Marklin class of ship. I did a model for the Prelude To Axanar film, but didn't get it done quite in time to make it into the film. This is what it looks like. Tobias Richter had done the nacelles and I did the rest with input from both him and Alec Peters.

7pumcv31b9en.jpg
    Rekkertora tzoLizzy777Loophole
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9712 Posts: 5,302Member
    edited September 2019 #10
    Yeah the marklin is some dodgy overhead image that is 100pixels wide? I vaguely remember the backdrop being that pc green you used to see for transparent gifs. I tried to make it work but gave up.
    latest?cb=20070606104110

I think the ship was intended to have a ugly box secondary below the struts and the saucer giving it that strange top down. Somewhere there was a small game piece version of it but I could not figure out if it was contemporary to the FASA game itself. There was one in the sketchup lib that looked pretty good. I cannot find the pewter model anymore as there are tonnes of images of the Marklin class now vs just a few yrs ago.
    Anyhow your take is looking good, want to see what you do with the bottom as that area is the stumbler of this design.

That listening post made me grin, lol. Maybe cause it just screams TOS in it's simplicity.
    Texturing a couple of unwrapping tuts should help, focus on surfacing as I got by for ages on procedural maps, or projection maps for details on the hulls.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    ora tzo
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    Hadn't heard of the Marklin class before, but sure looks interesting. I did a Bonaventure Class ship a couple of weeks back and it somewhat reminds me of that ... I like the idea of basically integration the enegeering Hull with the saucer in that way.

wm4wisomnle2.jpg
    ora tzo
    edited September 2019 #12
    Now that looks slick, the smaller cylinderical hull compared to the Eaglemoss makes it feel less bloated.

Regarding texturing, i'm pretty inspired by what Donny's done with his TOS ships though that probably would be difficult to do without substance painter which i'm now looking to get a student license for.
    I'll probably take a shot using scifieric's methods in photoshop in the meantime and figure out how to do the additional PBR maps.

And also heres my first shot at compositing anything spacey with an EEVEE render.
    Are there any particular tips to getting more realistic lighting other than tweaking the exposure?

unknown.png

Post edited by ora tzo on
  • ViperViper1678 Posts: 717Administrator
    It's pretty hard to get the lighting correct before doing the materials and textures. You have to nail those down before moving on to composition otherwise you'll struggle to get good results. At the same time, you need good lighting to get the materials correctly :D

What I do, is to use an HDRI image for my wip shots and set up my materials with that. They need to look good in a real world setting. If you get that right, then you can do the space lighting and it should work out of the box.
    Lizzy777
    Everything Viper said.

Also, are you doing your entire compositions in Blender? While that's certainly possible, it's not necessarily going to achieve the desired results. Using a blend of 3D CGI and other software like Photoshop/GIMP can provide a less limiting set of tools than just sticking to one program. What I would actually do (not saying it's "correct," just what I like to do) is render the ship with no background in Blender and save the render to a RGBA .png image, then add the background and any other effects in GIMP. (or Photoshop, if you have it) I used to do all of my comps that way for space shots, as I found it was the best way to achieve the results I wanted.
    I'm using photoshop, also I've got Madkoi's composition tut bookmarked.
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    There are tutorials on how to make Eevee look like the lighting is realistic but It‘ll never look like proper raytracing.
  • ViperViper1678 Posts: 717Administrator
    Something I forgot. Use different HDRI probes. Grab 3 or 4 different ones and do test renders with all of them. And you also have to make sure the white point is set correctly for each of them so that your colors look right in all settings.
    Lizzy777Comco
    The texturing is getting there.

Cy3.png

Lizzy777Rekkert