Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Star Trek Thread

• BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    You know, I'll have to watch the episode(s) the Vor'cha appears in to see if the pink shows given the model lighting in the series. They paint it a certain color, then the lighting dictates the color anyway.

You're right. The Meshweaver guys must have hated the pink.
  • LoopholeLoophole48 Posts: 67Member
    Something I just noticed looking at this model is that this ship has a module similar to the D-7 bridge near the front of the ship. I really love these highly-detailed models because you can really appreciate the ships more than you normally would be able to on-screen.
    Standing among giants
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    edited September 2019 #454
    The texturing's looking great!

The model had no red/pink at all during TNG, see here and here.
    It was only for its appearance in 'Way of the Warrior' that it was repainted to add the red bits in, as shown here and here.
    The Negh'Var model was similarly repainted with red accents for the episode, having previously appeared in all green in All Good Things.
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    evil_genius_180Warp Propulsion Laboratory
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    I don't envy you having to texture alle that eventually =)
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    You know, I'll have to watch the episode(s) the Vor'cha appears in to see if the pink shows given the model lighting in the series. They paint it a certain color, then the lighting dictates the color anyway.

Yep. Model makers will use a certain shade of paint knowing that it will look different on screen. The Excelsior is a good example of this. They used blue paint knowing that it would look metallic grey in the film. Note the panels on bottom of the secondary hull.

Model

Film
    Rekkert
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
    You guys are great. Thanks for all the pictures. I'm going to do the pink free paint job.
  • shaved_apeshaved_ape433 USAPosts: 158Member
    The color might be a reasonable match to the Christie's photos. I tried to make it slightly greyer to tone down the pink. Go figure. Klingons with pink paint. But then again, prune juice is a warrior's drink- Worf.

u03lg8xdqobg.png

I'd vote for more of a gun metal texture for those plates. I think in some reference photos, a metallic color can take on whatever light source is shining on it, not to mention the quality of the image taken too. I can see how these panels would be construed as pink, but from my discriminating eye, it's a metallic sheen that is picking up some reddish hues? Then again, I have old eyes and whatever textures I work with on my on computer come out right, due to a color calibrated screen. lol
    edited September 2019 #459
    furswift wrote: »

Yep. Model makers will use a certain shade of paint knowing that it will look different on screen. The Excelsior is a good example of this. They used blue paint knowing that it would look metallic grey in the film. Note the panels on bottom of the secondary hull.

Model

Film

True (I always grind my teeth when people do the Excelsior with clearly blue bits), but as I posted above, that wasn't the case for the Vor'Cha. The model had no red at first, and showed no red. Then the model was purposely painted red to show those red accents for DS9. :)
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    Warp Propulsion Laboratory
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9712 Posts: 5,302Member
    If you look at those tour(hanging from a ceiling) pics the red/burgundy bits look a bit faded on the head. Also keep in mind most of these ships react badly to flash. The models are coated in a dull coat and depending on what was used it can "frost" the colors and react like a reflector on a car. I would do them as intended within reason. Only place that light pink is strongly evident is on the head plating in the vegas pics. I would also point out that paints will oxidize. Reds are most prominent in this category. EXP dark colors.

Do not use the Negvar as it was refitted at one point and it is not known if the red markings on the Vorcha were added them or at some other date.

Here found some history on both models:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Negh'Var_warship
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Vor'cha_class_model
    evil_genius_180
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    edited September 2019 #461
    Yeah, most models have gotten multiple repairs and repaints over the years, which can make figuring out the original colors a challenge. Plus, as MKF said, you're at the mercy of flash and lighting conditions, as well as fading. Also, you have no idea if someone has altered the images. I personally try to get close as I can to the original colors, but I also try to go for something that looks good to me.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    I'm working on the darker gunmetal coloring. The darker color made numerous polygons that I somehow missed when I UV mapped the Vor'cha very obvious. I'm having to go back and clean up.

@MadKoiFish - I'm getting the impression that the Vor'cha was one of the last real models built (If not the last) before they went CGI

I've gradually warmed up to the lighter version with reddish plating. As I work on the darker one, the dark color masks detail.

@evil_genius_180 - So true. Like you I want to be accurate, but not to the point of a butt ugly model.
    Here is the darker work in progress. It needs work.

us1omgda5c85.png
    Warp Propulsion LaboratoryRekkertChiefBrexevil_genius_180Lizzy777Freak
  • ChiefBrexChiefBrex256 North CarolinaPosts: 110Member
    That is one sexy Vor'Cha. Love the attention to the detail. Can't wait to see this in a final render as a "finished product"
    I think you're going in the right direction by making it darker. :)
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    That's fine, I think it must be a little bit darker. B)
    Looking great!
    Thanks all. I have been away on a bit of a trip (Iceland). I saw a lot of lovely countryside and many gorgeous waterfalls. There were sulfur steam vents from volcanic activity and lava tubes. Went whale watching and saw humpbacks feeding. The Island is an amazing mixture of volcanoes and glaciers. Most of the rock is obviously volcanic. I stood on the beach where the opening scene in Rogue One was filmed. I stood at the largest falls in Europe (Iceland is part of Europe) where the opening scene in Prometheus was filmed and finally a glacier where part of Interstellar was filmed. Iceland clearly makes a good place to shoot an alien landscape if you can just keep the sheep out of the field of view.

Anyway, I will be getting back to getting the texture on the Vor'cha right.
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180Rekkert
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Sounds spectacular - a once in a lifetime trip, my friend. I'm very jealous :) Looking forward to seeing some updates when you're rested and back on deck. :)
    Brandenberg
    Wow, that sounds like a great vacation. I'm glad you got to go on such a fantastic trip. :)
    Brandenberg
    You all are just great, thanks. I would go back to Iceland in a heartbeat.
    cjhplmjo98ai.jpg
    evil_genius_180
    Thanks for the picture, now I want to go.
    The above is a black beach near the Rogue One filming site.
    evil_genius_180
    I changed the Color on the Vor'cha. More gunmetal grey color in it.

gmx7ai7qyvyp.png
    P5ych0p4thevil_genius_180RekkertLizzy777
    Right over on the Left edge is the spot for the opening scene of Promethius. The "Engineer" drinks the potion that kills him and sets free his DNA

fkif5bndsaf6.jpg
    evil_genius_180
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Iceland is on my bucket list, there are so many site I want to go and see.
    There is a place where you can go "Dry" scuba diving. The water is said to be so clear that even clearer than the tank NASA uses.
    (For those don't know, a Dry suit is used to dive in extreme cold water. You basically keep you cloths on and put the suit ontop.
    The suit has two layers, one is next to your skin/ cloths and the outer layer. Air is pumped between the two layer so your body heat does not drained away as quickly if there was one layer.)
    Check out this video to see what I am talking about.

Anyway back onto subject. Loving the new paint job.
    Brandenberg
    I like that color for the Vor'Cha.

It's interesting how you show pics and I don't immediately recognize them, then you say that a film was don in that spot and I'm like "Oh yeah.."
    Brandenberg
    Wow, thanks for that video Freak. I have been to that spot where the two continental plates meet. Didn't know you could dive there. I do have my NAUI and PADI certifications. I've got to go back and do that. I saw the the geyser, the falls, the icy beach and the other places in that video. Iceland is an amazing place.

I have been struggling with Lightwave. It has this &@!$*&#@ bug that causes the UV map to export 1/4 the size in the lower left corner of the export.

mfun3ezykvmz.png
    P5ych0p4thRekkertevil_genius_180Lizzy777Warp Propulsion LaboratoryFreak
    Does anyone have a clearer picture or some definitive information on the Klingon lettering on the top of the right side of this model?
    I think this one from 'Reunion' is the best reference there is: http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/season-4/4x07/reunion-hd-068.jpg
    Brandenberg
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Rekkert wrote: »
    I think this one from 'Reunion' is the best reference there is: http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/season-4/4x07/reunion-hd-068.jpg

There is a Klingon insignia over the left wing too. ;)

Great work Brandenberg! Beautifull Vor´Cha.
    Thanks for the pics of Iceland too. Wonderfull place. That fog makes some pics looks like a renderend scenario. :)
    Brandenberg