Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAshley's Random Sci-Fi Emotional Disaster Thread

ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,233Member
I was sick most of last week and I've been stressed out, in general suffering a spike in my depression through my drugs, and feeling like garbage, which means I go rooting around my hard drive and old CDs looking for things I either didn't finish, or I just wanted to play around with.

It also means I end up looking for low stress things to work on where I don't have to think of things like an Engineer (cause I'm absolutely NOT) but can go a bit more fantastical.

that_s_just_prime_by_ashleytinger_ddfdey5-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NjgzIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZmFjNDUyYTYtMGJhMy00YjNhLTkxMTUtNDk1Yzg2MDFhNzczXC9kZGZkZXk1LWU0Y2FiZWFmLTgxZTUtNDQ2YS05YjUxLWMxZWQ3Njg2YTIyMC5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.vsHZdE6FXXPVsrwaKfyPcnHmaKtY2acdU0qznwu4Nfw

Dusted off this 15 year old fossil from the remnants of a backup file on one of my ancient CDs. Then I went in and imported it in DAZ, gave him fresh materials, dropped him in the t-rex forest and let it 'bake' overnight.

Definitely one of the better models I found in my little archive, it could still use a refresh, but I just wanted to see him in action again for old times sake.

Optimal Optimus Built in TrueSpace 3.2
Rendered in DAZ Studio 4.10 with iRay

But wait, there's more!

gen_two_optimus_wip_01_by_ashleytinger_ddff188-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NDY1IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZmFjNDUyYTYtMGJhMy00YjNhLTkxMTUtNDk1Yzg2MDFhNzczXC9kZGZmMTg4LWFlZjU0MzE1LWRkYWItNGI2My05NjI1LTllMjRiYTdlZDYwMi5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.jhv4CGBXhc__FbKEWVzPb_atTu9Ct266sfG0dfmF5wA

So, still not feeling the greatest, so I started futzing with an old mesh and well, you know me.

I hate seeing this mesh not done, but my twitchy brain wasn't going to let the 'toy' version go, especially after I transformed what I'd built in robot mode into vehicle mode and realized I could do so much better at this point. It has been 15 years y'all.

So after a few hour deep dive into images of older Freightliner Overcab trucks, I settled on a kind of amalgamation for the vehicle mode and decided to keep the original Generation 2 color scheme for Prime, but bring that more into the cab, and in this case, also into his robot mode as well. The cab overall has been redone. I'm not doing an interior at this point, but I'm cutting it up with the idea of having an interior maybe down the road. That's going to be a bit more difficult with the robot bits behind them though and the Matrix when his chest opens up.

Front windows are cut, settled on a new grill shape and I'm working out the pattern for the grill which is going to match the Freightliner more which means Prime is going to have some more trucky bits on him than before.

Open to ideas for the trucking company and ODOT information to have stenciled on Prime's doors ;)

Built in TrueSpace 3.2
Original Masterpiece Prime Design by Don Figueroa

You didn't think I was done at this point did you??? I was still sick and stressed out and didn't even want to contemplate future human or alien dwellings in the Star Trek universe, so Optimus it is.

generation_two_optimus_wip_02_by_ashleytinger_ddfi3hl-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NTgxIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZmFjNDUyYTYtMGJhMy00YjNhLTkxMTUtNDk1Yzg2MDFhNzczXC9kZGZpM2hsLTQ5MzU2YWM5LTAyNTAtNGRjNC05ODJiLWNkMzNiZTcyMDFhYy5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.l2a6tMIH2gqcNuryfUohQMR9LVZ8E7obO2V_m4-gn3I

While I'm nowhere near done detailing the Optimus Freightliner, I did need to make sure that the basics were covered so I carved up all the general shapes from the base cab and assembled a very rough robot mode.

He's missing some of the classic striping as it got moved around a bit, and I'm thinking his head is going to have to be black and not blue to match the rest of his body, but so far I'm not completely unsatisfied with him. I am going to remodel the head. Wow that thing is chunky. I carved out the 'cavity' in the back part of the cab (this gets covered up all the time with the steel reinforced back plates on these old cabover designs) where there was access tubes, power lines, air lines, etc. I'm thinking I won't go that involved with it, but the big engine block is probably going to become a large customized shotgun.

I'd originally planned to model out the guns from the Gen 2 toy, but, eh. I am going to make his trailer a reefer (refrigerated trailer for those not in trucking) and the reefer unit is going to become that flight jetpack that was his voice box in the toy. Granted this also means modeling out a 53 ft. reefer trailer, but hey, it's what I do for fun.

So, Vehicle mode checklist:
New front rims
Front wheel wells and trim
Windshield and wipers
Driver and passenger doors
More road friendly bumper with turn signals
Oregon license plates
Thin out his feet and fix the shape
New smokestacks that are more accurate to the late 70's/early 80's Freightliner
Rounded headlights and mounts
Roof lights and mounts
Roof Horns?
More accuracte gas tanks and strapping
Handrails and rear view mirrors on the cab
cut in the steps
Adjustments to the back of the legs to look more like the beams on a cabover
Make the lower legs thinner to better match the cab width
Model in the Fifth Wheel and mounts to that it can be split with the legs.

Built in TrueSpace 3.2
Original Masterpiece Optimus Prime design by Don Figueroa

shaved_apeLizzy777evil_genius_180Warp Propulsion Laboratory
Tagged:

• shaved_apeshaved_ape433 USAPosts: 158Member
    Wow DAZ, now that brings back memories, such as using Poser, spending more on content than food in the house, staying up late to work with Victoria...those were the days. I've had days like yours, when you feel a bit of project burnout, start scouring the old hard drive backups and realize just how much unfinished work you really had, and then a spark of inspiration comes over you, you start with a smile, the creative juices start flowing and just when you're ready to move forward, you sigh and realize the very reason why the project never got finished. lol

This Optimus looks like a good start as a base, and only adding to it with more detail, but armed with better experience could likely turn out to be something awesome!

Keep the chin up, I too suffer from depression (not to the point of taking happy pills or anything like that), but I WILL say that some of the best therapy comes from design, or as I like to call it "free designing", where you pick something simple, just for the sake of doing it and finishing it, and then bask in your laurels of completing something. =)
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I'm a G1 fan myself, but anything Transformers being done instantly has my attention, no matter which generation. :)

This is really cool so far. I don't even want to think of the planning and rigging that it takes to make a vehicle that transforms into a robot and back again, so my hat's off to you. Also, I really like that top image. That's a really sweet mesh and it looks great in that forest.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,233Member
    shaved_ape wrote: »
    Wow DAZ, now that brings back memories, such as using Poser, spending more on content than food in the house, staying up late to work with Victoria...those were the days. I've had days like yours, when you feel a bit of project burnout, start scouring the old hard drive backups and realize just how much unfinished work you really had, and then a spark of inspiration comes over you, you start with a smile, the creative juices start flowing and just when you're ready to move forward, you sigh and realize the very reason why the project never got finished. lol

This Optimus looks like a good start as a base, and only adding to it with more detail, but armed with better experience could likely turn out to be something awesome!

Keep the chin up, I too suffer from depression (not to the point of taking happy pills or anything like that), but I WILL say that some of the best therapy comes from design, or as I like to call it "free designing", where you pick something simple, just for the sake of doing it and finishing it, and then bask in your laurels of completing something. =)

Yeah it's a big reason I jumped back into modeling. People weren't building Trek sets for the eras I wanted to play with and I don't have that much disposable income. lol

Thank you on Optimus. He's going to be a fun distraction before I jump back into Trek land. I need it.

Yeah my brain actually doesn't produce enough of the happy hormone. I got diagnosed about four or five years ago with Dysthymia, or persistent depressive disorder. It's not terrible when I'm on my medication (I don't go off it because we tried easing me off it again and there was darkness my old friend ugh) but when I have a nasty episode I tend to look for anything easy to keep me going but something I can interact with and do work on that won't leave me frustrated. I used to watch a lot more TV and movies but it's not the right kind of interaction for my brain to get me out of my funk and instead lets me wallow in it for far too long.

It's the only organ malfunctioning in my body and of course it's the one that I use the most in my day job :P
    I'm a G1 fan myself, but anything Transformers being done instantly has my attention, no matter which generation. :)

This is really cool so far. I don't even want to think of the planning and rigging that it takes to make a vehicle that transforms into a robot and back again, so my hat's off to you. Also, I really like that top image. That's a really sweet mesh and it looks great in that forest.

I am a HUGE first gen fan. I was 7 when the toys first hit shelves, and while I like MLP, I WANTED the Transformers. Prime was my first and my grandmother thought I was nuts, but I save up my allowance and got me a $20 Optimus Prime. Holy crap is that almost $50 now? No wonder she thought I was nuts. LOL

I think part of why I picked Gen Two is the Bot logo stamped on the artwork I found. It really is just going to be a revamped version of the Gen One toy with some Gen Two options and coloring, kind of like how the first release of Optimus was in Gen Two anyway lol

IF and I do mean IF I do up a rigged version of him instead of just posing an importing, he'll actually have 3 versions. One is vehicle mode, two would be the transforming version, and the third would just be robot mode. That way you don't get any weird rigging when you're trying to set things up for renders and you know how the mesh will behave.

And thank you on Optimal. :) He was a labor of love back in the day.
    edited September 2019 #5
    I am a HUGE first gen fan. I was 7 when the toys first hit shelves, and while I like MLP, I WANTED the Transformers. Prime was my first and my grandmother thought I was nuts, but I save up my allowance and got me a $20 Optimus Prime. Holy crap is that almost $50 now? No wonder she thought I was nuts. LOL

I remember watching the cartoon as a kid and having the toys. And, you know, I still watch the cartoon and have the toys. I recently got the Walmart reissue of G1 Soundwave (he came with Buzzsaw.) I never had him as a kid. :)

I never really got into much after G1, though. I do like some of the stuff. I was watching Transformers Prime on Netflix before I canceled my sub (again) and what I saw of it was cool. I'm not really a big fan of the more modern films, though, except for the first one Michael Bay did and Bumblebee. Those are both good, the rest weren't for me.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    I'm not really a big fan of the more modern films, though, except for the first one Michael Bay did and Bumblebee. Those are both good, the rest weren't for me.

Thank-you! The new movies are hard to watch. At times there is so much confusing destruction and mayhem that you almost get nauseated and lose your equilibrium. Often, you can't even tell what is going on.
  • shaved_apeshaved_ape433 USAPosts: 158Member
    "I used to watch a lot more TV and movies but it's not the right kind of interaction for my brain to get me out of my funk and instead lets me wallow in it for far too long."

Oddly enough, my inspiration kicks into high gear when I'm watching a Trek show, don't know why. I can sit and multi-task by watching the shows and modeling...benefits of working on a laptop. =)

I wish you luck on your treatment, I know it isn't any picnic. One minute everything is fine and the next, everything falls apart, but cheer up, at least you have your health!
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    I love the lighting in that forest image. Very atmospheric.
    ashleytinger
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift

I remember watching the cartoon as a kid and having the toys. And, you know, I still watch the cartoon and have the toys. I recently got the Walmart reissue of G1 Soundwave (he came with Buzzsaw.) I never had him as a kid. :)

I never really got into much after G1, though. I do like some of the stuff. I was watching Transformers Prime on Netflix before I canceled my sub (again) and what I saw of it was cool. I'm not really a big fan of the more modern films, though, except for the first one Michael Bay did and Bumblebee. Those are both good, the rest weren't for me.

Transformers Prime was well done. Beast Wars is pretty well done, but it is definitely a product of the 90s. I like the first 3 Bay films, but they suffer from his directing style and their need to go bigger and bigger. I thought the fourth was.. ok? I mean we got Optimus in a cabover finally, but...ok I really don't like Mark Whalburg when he's doing his goofy schtick and both his TF films were him doing his goofy schtick. It also started this meandering wandering plot-ish thing that was ok in one film but them it was the entire basis for the fifth film. Last Knight had good ideas but was all over the place. Literally, figuratively. It made my brain hurt and I can turn it off and sit through just about anything. I haven't watched Bumblebee yet but it's on my list. I used to like Michael Bay when his kind of frantic action was fresh (wow the 90's and early aughts were wild) and then everyone started doing it and now I'm over it. Shooting so that quick cuts are the only way you can propel an action sequence forward is.. eh... I don't want to call it lazy, but it definitely let's you do some weird stuff and get away with it. I was especially over that 'shoot for the edit' action take after i watched Fury Road with the really long planned out action sequences with these long lingering gorgeous shots and I was all like 'hells yeah that's what an action film can be like again'.

I haven't been collecting the toys again for a long while. I had a big stint again in '06 through '09 with the Classics/Universe/Generations that were re-imagined and updated versions of most of the characters I loved in the Gen 1 show. I ran out of places to put Transformers though. Sadly, I'm thinking that a lot of them are either going to be permanently boxed or are getting sold. I'm at that point where I don't necessarily need all these things around my house that I don't have time to mess with anymore.
    I'm not really a big fan of the more modern films, though, except for the first one Michael Bay did and Bumblebee. Those are both good, the rest weren't for me.

Thank-you! The new movies are hard to watch. At times there is so much confusing destruction and mayhem that you almost get nauseated and lose your equilibrium. Often, you can't even tell what is going on.

Bayhem as they call it on set. And yes, that is my biggest complaint about his films anymore. Dark of the Moon had a bit less of that because they filmed it in 3D and he actually had to plan his shots more to get the best bang for the buck so there's less shaky cam/quick cuts in that one.
    shaved_ape wrote: »
    "I used to watch a lot more TV and movies but it's not the right kind of interaction for my brain to get me out of my funk and instead lets me wallow in it for far too long."

Oddly enough, my inspiration kicks into high gear when I'm watching a Trek show, don't know why. I can sit and multi-task by watching the shows and modeling...benefits of working on a laptop. =)

I wish you luck on your treatment, I know it isn't any picnic. One minute everything is fine and the next, everything falls apart, but cheer up, at least you have your health!

I probably have a bit of adult onset ADD as well to be honest because I'll have a tv show on in the background while I model most of the time. Hell even when I game, etc. When I was in my teens and twenties I could sit with one thing and just focus and I've kind of developed a need to have multiple things going on anymore.

furswift wrote: »
    I love the lighting in that forest image. Very atmospheric.

I can't take all the credit for that as it's almost a load and go set-up from Daz, but I at least tweaked it a bit.
    edited September 2019 #11
    Transformers Prime was well done. Beast Wars is pretty well done, but it is definitely a product of the 90s. I like the first 3 Bay films, but they suffer from his directing style and their need to go bigger and bigger. I thought the fourth was.. ok? I mean we got Optimus in a cabover finally, but...ok I really don't like Mark Whalburg when he's doing his goofy schtick and both his TF films were him doing his goofy schtick. It also started this meandering wandering plot-ish thing that was ok in one film but them it was the entire basis for the fifth film. Last Knight had good ideas but was all over the place. Literally, figuratively. It made my brain hurt and I can turn it off and sit through just about anything. I haven't watched Bumblebee yet but it's on my list. I used to like Michael Bay when his kind of frantic action was fresh (wow the 90's and early aughts were wild) and then everyone started doing it and now I'm over it. Shooting so that quick cuts are the only way you can propel an action sequence forward is.. eh... I don't want to call it lazy, but it definitely let's you do some weird stuff and get away with it. I was especially over that 'shoot for the edit' action take after i watched Fury Road with the really long planned out action sequences with these long lingering gorgeous shots and I was all like 'hells yeah that's what an action film can be like again'.

I stopped watching the Bayformers series after Dark of the Moon. I could have cut a lot of the things humans were doing out of the movie and had a much better movie that was only about 90 minutes long. ;) The plot was recycled from the G1 first season three part episode The Ultimate Doom, which is a fantastic episode. I think his Transformers movies suffer from a lot of badly written stuff with the human characters. The Transformers characters were fantastic, but many of the humans were terrible. That's one thing I like about Bumblebee, the main character is really well written. I think she's the type of character we need for TF, since you obviously can't focus on the robots themselves all the time due to the expense involved.

Michael Bay's style was definitely fun and fresh in the '90s. He started off doing music videos, but then he had a string of hit films with Bad Boys, The Rock, Armageddon and Pearl Harbor. After Bad Boys II, his movies kind of became one dimensional and, as you said, full of frantic action. I do like The Island, but once he started with the Transformers films everything went downhill.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    generation_two_optimus_wip_03_by_ashleytinger_ddfmrrd-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NDY1IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZmFjNDUyYTYtMGJhMy00YjNhLTkxMTUtNDk1Yzg2MDFhNzczXC9kZGZtcnJkLWNkMmY0OTdlLTY5OGYtNGVmYS05NzdlLTQ5NmZmZWI4MDFjNy5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.0lSW4v3Yl5xanAf-lu7V2KDXxplvzbzh1XadqLhUu4w

Did a bunch more work on the truck back end which turn into Prime's legs. Decided the feet needed some traction so I tried to go with something that looks like grid work on the back end of a semi. I'm going to slide the fifth wheel back closer to his feet so the trailer has more clearance on turns. I also built a proper sized fuel tank that doesn't look like a beer keg like it does on just about every Optimus toy. I cut out the wheel wells in the front and subsequently the arms. I need to re-do the rubber strip that wraps around the top part of the well as it had weird errors on only an angle or two. So yay?

While he doesn't have 2 beer kegs for fuel tanks anymore, Prim does have the issue of these not integrating that well with his legs. I don't know if I'm going to make them smaller or just leave them at this point. I'm also thinking about something like a heel spur that pops up from the girders on the tractor for more 'stability' in his robot mode, but I'm also thinking I don't have to worry if he can stand or not IRL cause he's just going to be in my PC :P

Vehicle mode checklist:
    New front rims
    Front wheel wells and trim
    Windshield and wipers
    Driver and passenger doors
    More road friendly bumper with turn signals
    Oregon license plates
    New smokestacks that are more accurate to the late 70's/early 80's Freightliner
    Rounded headlights and mounts
    Roof lights and mounts
    Roof Horns?
    Handrails and rear view mirrors on the cab
    cut in the steps

Built in TrueSpace 3.2
    Original Robot design by Don Figueroa
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777
    That's looking awesome so var, very faithful to the toys. :)
    edited September 2019 #14
    That's looking awesome so var, very faithful to the toys. :)

Thanks. :)

generation_two_optimus_wip_04_by_ashleytinger_ddftrxf-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NDY1IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZmFjNDUyYTYtMGJhMy00YjNhLTkxMTUtNDk1Yzg2MDFhNzczXC9kZGZ0cnhmLTE0NTg1YzAwLWZhNjMtNDQ2OC1hODc5LWM3YTc2NTU5ODMyNC5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.J5MBramOPGl6xyy8jxz2WmSlL-Bi7L4c5M3z6NlHYY0

Didn't get a whole lot done this weekend as I was taking time to relax in our new hot tub and try to get some yard work done. But I did poke at Prime a bit and started blocking in some robot parts to figure out what else I need to cut out yet in the truck.

I am going to cut out into his torso in a square around the Freightliner logo so I can mimic that forward lurch or hunch in Don's design. I'm working out a shoulder joint as I'm not entirely happy with the joint here. I also need to slim his thighs just a little bit both along the sides and front and back. I think I can start detailing the lower legs at this point too. I need to model out the doors in the cab as I'm thinking I should at least have the driver door as an open-able object for the driver to 'get out'.

He's coming along and he's already more detailed than my previous version, so yay!

Built in TrueSpace 3.2
    Original Masterpiece Prime design by Don Figueroa
    Post edited by ashleytinger on
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180
    I'd love to see it animated.

Agreed.

Funny thing that. I was considering re-creating, or in this case creating and HD version of the Optimus Prime intro for the Generation 2 toy commercials.

Agreed.

I'm terrible at animating but it might end up becoming a thing lol
    Don't worry, I'm terrible at animating too.
    generation_two_optimus_wip_05_by_ashleytinger_ddg3itw-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NDU5IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZmFjNDUyYTYtMGJhMy00YjNhLTkxMTUtNDk1Yzg2MDFhNzczXC9kZGczaXR3LWE0OTIxYTdjLWMzYmEtNDI5Yi04OGVjLWFmNTBhOTc0MTI2MC5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.aO8vWe1Ph16-QdioQ2Q9TEGY51OwbVN8T3qqyiOh4Kk

Since I wanted the new trailer to be a reefer to account for Prime's 'voice box' in the Generation Two line, and I thought it'd make a cool jet pack, I went and modeled out most of his new trailer. It needs the brake units near the wheels, the wheels need better reinforced central bits, the rear swing doors need to be modeled, the 'landing gear' and hand crank, and I need to put more details into the reefer and the front of the trailer as well as the reflector strips, lights and license plate. For the sake of speed on this I'm NOT modeling the trailer to be able to open which includes not having to model the interior, roller, or that repair/missile platform.

Ok, I'm nowhere near done on the trailer, but this was a nice start! :P

And Prime has the star of his snazzy jetpack. I'm thinking a flip compartment in the bottom that rotates around and pops the jets out. The grille on the reefer unit is going to double as maneuvering thrusters.

Built in TrueSpace 3.2
    Based on the 20th Anniversary Prime design by Don Figueroa
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777
    The trailer is looking sweet so far.
    generation_two_optimus_wip_06_by_ashleytinger_ddh41wk-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NTE3IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZmFjNDUyYTYtMGJhMy00YjNhLTkxMTUtNDk1Yzg2MDFhNzczXC9kZGg0MXdrLWU2NWZkM2Y3LTQwMmQtNDFiMS04ZTM4LTQ5ODVkMmJiM2VlNC5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.X34cQJalSQmE2mOCz9tntt--RVZ_QRtz4ttqHBKw88M

Been really busy with work and poking at a few different things with not much to show for it, but I thought there was enough advanced with Optimus here to share.

Detailed more of the trailer and the reefer unit. Rebuilt the smokestacks so they don't go directly into the living quarters of the driver and go along the back of the cab like they actually did. Rebuilt the rims to better match actual rims both front and back. Two different license plates, front and back, both Oregon based circa 1993 (when Gen Two was released) as well as a new front bumper.

Before I move on to the robot mode I've got more to do on the vehicle yet.

Built in TrueSpace 3.2

Lizzy777P5ych0p4thevil_genius_180Warp Propulsion Laboratory
    That's looking great.
  • ViperViper1678 Posts: 717Administrator
    According to some ILM folks, there is a lot of cheating involved in animating them. Geometry will overlap and go through each other. So you have some space to work with ;)
    Viper wrote: »
    According to some ILM folks, there is a lot of cheating involved in animating them. Geometry will overlap and go through each other. So you have some space to work with ;)

I believe that.

Heh, there's always been cheating. The ones in the original cartoons changed shapes and sizes while transforming. Parts disappeared, etc. It's not surprising that they still cheat to get it done.
    That's looking great.

Thank you! It's kind of fun mixing in more 'real world' elements into the design.

Oh gods yes. You can see it when Prime's transforming in the first film just before the fight with Megatron if you look hard enough. They were hiding it really well. Then on top of that the metal bits bend in ways that don't necessarily work lol

I believe that.

There's a bunch of ILM interviews on it too. ;)

Heh, there's always been cheating. The ones in the original cartoons changed shapes and sizes while transforming. Parts disappeared, etc. It's not surprising that they still cheat to get it done.

Yup! All of them cheat really. Soundwave is the biggest 'little' offender. ;)

• P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    I think I remember reading somewhere that they tried grounding the transformations a little more in reality in the bumblebee movie. But I can‘t find it right now 🤔
    ashleytinger
    P5ych0p4th wrote: »
    I think I remember reading somewhere that they tried grounding the transformations a little more in reality in the bumblebee movie. But I can‘t find it right now 🤔

You can definitely see it in the Bumblebee film toys. They had to cheat MUCH less to convert them over.
    P5ych0p4th
    Yup! All of them cheat really. Soundwave is the biggest 'little' offender. ;)

Reflector is bad too. Three robots combine to form a camera that can be held by humans. Or Robots. Depends on the needs of the scene. At the very least, his (their?) robot mode is scaled to Soundwave's, because they appeared in a scene together in the second or third episode of the original cartoon. Of course, there also were the Transformers comics in the 1980s, where Megatron turned into a gun that a human could use. They made it a little more (though only slightly) realistic in the cartoon, where he became a gun that other Transformers could use.

But, yeah, I think the only thing that really cared if the Tranformers could actually work was the toy line. And, as we know, some of them didn't (and still don't) match their TV/movie counterparts that well.
    generation_two_optimus_wip_07_by_ashleytinger_ddh8q2o-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzE2IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZmFjNDUyYTYtMGJhMy00YjNhLTkxMTUtNDk1Yzg2MDFhNzczXC9kZGg4cTJvLWU5NGRjYjY3LTViZjUtNDI2ZS1hOGI2LTk2NjE3NzdiYTZiZS5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.2FlIOQfvY9qN4eMcmpQQGoTfB4htho3y9W58FhGPEvA

I worked on the cab front end a bit. Detailed out the bumper and had to rebuild the grille three different times before I ended up piece-mealing one together. Then I built the radiator behind it, so yay? I figured I'd get another part of the robot mode built in while I was at it and built in the 'tilt' feature that Don put into his design. There's enough play there that Prime can slouch, stand back with pride, or do like shoulder/chest rolls a bit so that's kind of cool.

Probably going to work on the cab some more since I got the 'hard' part over and fix some of the geometry issues I introduced carving up the cab to create his chest and torso. The windows are really starting to bug me at this point. I'm debating on whether to include the pull handles on the front of the cab like this model had for pulling the cab forward to work on the engine. Definitely including more 'modern' windshield wipers.

Built in TrueSpace 3.2
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180McC