Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

What are you working on?

GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
edited August 2020 in Work in Progress #1
h5df1secir4y.png

Welcome to What are you working on!

This thread is meant to provide a quick snapshot of what the good folks at SFM are currently working on. If you're currently working on something, feel free to post a shot in this thread. If you have a proper thread going on for your project, include a link to it as well.

This is a special thread, so it has a couple of special rules:

1. Post work
This thread is mainly for showing off your current project. If you want to comment, see if the author linked a thread.

2. Posts should contain at least one image (or video/sketchfab/whatever)
Since this is a thread for artwork, posts should ideally contain some actual work.

However,
3. Don't post too many images (or videos)
A couple of images per post is enough, and not all minor changes require an update. Focus on significant updates, and think of it as project highlights.

4. If it's huge, consider hosting it yourself
In case of truly massive images, please be mindful of the server load, and host them yourself. Videos should be uploaded to one of the many streaming platforms (youtube and vimeo embed directly). Also be mindful of page loading times. If your work is truly massive, post a smaller version and link to the big one.

5. Mind the text-to-image ratio
You can certainly explain what you're working on, but it shouldn't take longer than a paragraph. If you've come up with a cool backstory, technical specifications and such, post them in the actual project thread, and link to it.
Post edited by Guerrilla on
Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
Join our fancy Discord Server!

• Howard DayHoward Day632 Posts: 434Member
    Hey, Awesome new forum! I'll start things off in this thread. I'm working on a Set of short Star Wars animations/films. I'm sorta working my way through the workload right now, but thanks to some lovely help from quite a few friends (not the least of which fractalsponge!) I've made some good progress. My current task is finishing up this Corellian Gunship:
    gfurf1jpsjyv.png
    pbxlmjgaz4w5.png
    039x024ap7bu.png
    Here's the latest 4K turnaround: (another one is rendering right now with some model updates)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qVZe8iNTZ9bdyJL1uOh4j9SSmmwmIjuv/view?usp=sharing

And here's the latest WIP 4K render (it varies in quality, apologies, it's a bit of a patchwork render) of the animation itself - two B-Wings returning from combat to land on a Mon Calamari cruiser.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jx-_oha9CygGD0mCEHDbEUY9Q644oWD1/view?usp=sharing
    Anyhow, I look forward to posting round these parts again.
    Enjoy!
    GuerrillaNathan RubricscifiericLizzy777liam887ViperSamuraiMustang13Camaro68eagledocf15
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    Howard, that's lovely. That kind of ship used to show up in the original Marvel Star Wars comics all the time.
    scifieric
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    Awesome Howard, glad to see you back! It was your work and others all those years ago that inspired me to get into 3D in the first place.

Are you still working on the wings of Saint Nazaire game?
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    @Howard Day - Looks great! Looking forward to seeing some updates! How are you going about the fighter animation at the moment? Is it animated using spline paths? Or some other technique?
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    This is BEAUTIFUL work!
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    edited March 2019 #7
    Messing around with more logos for a change, instead of doing anything actually productive
    pglgoi3hh3ac.png
    ahai06mu2h2l.png
    Post edited by Guerrilla on
    Viper
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    I love logos! I did this kind of thing ages ago (pen on paper, of course) way back oin the day while I tried to create the logo for Xenoprobe. So this is right up my alley.

I'm still doing Iron Star work, what else, but I saw this hubcap that would be the perfect design for the flag of the Framework, the overseeing body of that universe.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Truly Amazing Work. Congratulations to you.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    Nice to see CBS is now empowering fan art theft.

https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/378880-trek-in-space?store_id=223493

This company is in partnership with CBS for licensing fan designed shirts. Sadly it is just another venue to exploit stuff by scabs.

Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    They finally found a legal way to make money off of fan art. As long as the cash rolls in, they probably don't care if the people making the shirts create the art themselves or not.

As I recall, IDW was also ripping off fan art a few years ago, and you know CBS was making money on that license too.

But, it's fan art. Odds are, if you make something people like, someone is going to steal it. It hasn't happened a lot, but I've found a few of my images with the credits removed/replaced in image searches over the years.
    edited July 2019 #12
    It just galls me when I see people claiming others work and making a profit off it. I mean yeah I loath when these paypal and patreon filled RPG sites use art without permission (reason I do not do orthos) but least they are generally just using it in their game vs any profiting.

Guess it is a reason I no longer release meshes as well though nothing stopping a person from shooping out the design pushing some filters on it and calling it theirs. Lack of professionalism. Almost makes me want to quit making scenes.

I have seen my stuff cropped reposted rehosted etc a lot. That I have gotten used to as part of the net. It is when someone is attempting to use it as a way to gain with it that I get pissed.

Yes IDW, I do not buy or read anything from it when a lot of it is just traced promotional photos and others work. How a artist could consider pulling a income from tracing others work be it a photo or a render/other art. hell I have seen some US comics where they use random photos off the net for poses etc. Just trace over a photo and alter it to suit.

And some assholes have the gall to call me a shill for not having interest in their "project" or not doing as I am demanded to do or say I do not have time to waste looking things up or communicating information to them on demand.

Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    evil_genius_180
    edited July 2019 #13
    I don't like it when people profit off of others' work either. But, I'm also a realist.

I stopped releasing meshes when I hardly saw them getting used. I did have one individual on another forum start modding one without asking permission once. He didn't understand why I didn't like that.

I buy some IDW stuff because they have licenses I like. I think they mainly have good artists now. I don't understand feeling good about tracing over someone else's work and calling it yours either. Then they drew a salary on that too. I remember one particular instance where someone traced over Tobias Richter's Kelvinprise, he could even identify it down to which revision of the mesh it was.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    Yeah when it is something you work on oddly you can pick it up right off. That tshirt thing was a small thumbnail on trekmeshes and I was like uh wait. . . .

I still remember that wars poster where the person used a imperial ship from here in it.(was it Howard Day's or fractals's original design ship)

That whole not getting it thing is really common now. People think we are there to serve them and nothing else. had some guy give me shit for a comment on Drexler's blog thinking we can just snap our fingers give up 3 months of life to provide them with the refitted NX mesh.

Professional Morals seem thin on the ground lately. Seen other cases where people pinch concepts from online for pro work as well as film production. Heck you could argue the whole Discovery design was keyed up due to the popularity of reimagined designs from those old titans concepts.

Cannot argue the 09 enterprise was not influenced by Gabe's connie design.

In the end I think that particular mesh of mine has created more headaches than anything I have done. People ignoring the TOS and kitbashing it and using it in promotional materials or other derivative works. BUT it has been the one mesh released that got used a lot.

I can totally understand the waste of time feeling when little is done with it.

IDW if they had stuff I really wanted to look at I still do not. Wont support a company who allows what was done or cannot be educated enough to know about what is happening. The blind eye.
    edited July 2019 #15
    The main issue is the thinking that, because it's on the internet it's free. "Oh, I found this, I can do whatever I want with it." That's the society we've turned into.

I actually had a discussion with a couple coworkers earlier who asked me if I'd seen the new Spider-Man film. I told them no, I hardly make it to the theater. It's true, I'm up all night and sleep in the daytime. (so do they, we all work 3rd shift) They were thinking maybe I'd seen it through **other** means. I was like, "no, I'm not a fan of coughing and heads in my movies." It's true, but I'm also not into digital theft. I'm not saying I'm a saint, but I usually prefer to at least pay for a streaming rental for a movie I want to see. If I like it, I buy it. The reason I'm mentioning this is because it's a great example of "it's available on the internet, so it must be free." I even had another guy at work suggest one of **those** sites for watching movies. He claimed it was legit, but I told him it sounded like piracy. I checked it out and found out it's piracy, as I thought.

Another ironic thing is how CBS and Paramount will throw a fit, issue C&D orders for people using their stuff, have YT videos pulled, etc. Yet, they're apparently cool with digital theft of others' work. Hypocrisy at its worst.

Speaking of Discovery and theft, the legal case between CBS and the makers of that Tardigrades mobile game is still ongoing. Apparently, everything from a giant space traveling tardigrade, which is usually a micro animal, to the character designs and even character relationships is copied straight from that game.

edited July 2019 #16
    Yup know some people who dl screeners cause they get to see it that few days earlier. it just is not worth the quality.
    I do not rent films anymore the price is often half that of just buying it.

I really doubt this is the sole reason for the issues of the internet, its free behavior. I think it is more of a case of I can look at it and copy it free issue.

As for that game it is dodgy at best. While I poo poo STD a lot only some superficial connections exist. The only real issue is the tardigrade and the spore network thing. The characters all showed up way after STD would have had that sort of thing sorted. While I support the game(it never really came out) side of things I doubt it will do much than litigate for years until the guy runs out of cash or his lawyers decide it is damaging their careeers/rep. They rarely care about what is right just the rules they have to play by.

I doubt I will ever get anything from emailing that company hell trekmovie deleted my post, so that just shows who cares about what.
    I don't know much about the game or what all is what. I think there's a good possibility that some of it is unintentional, but I still find it interesting. If they did copy anything from it, it shows at least how strong the moral fiber of the show runners is.

Anymore, I make a decision if I want to rent or buy a movie I've not seen. I occasionally get stuff I don't like as well but, as you said, rental prices are so high. I actually only rent movies very occasionally. A great example is Captain Marvel. I was going to rent it but, working at Walmart, the Blu-Ray was just too accessible, so I bought it. Fortunately, it's a good movie. ;)
    Yeah it is more like the movies are so cheap to buy. with Frys near me often new releases are like 13usd to 20usd.
    You have it bad as you see the discs daily lol. Still wish they would come up with a way to get a BRD experience in streaming content IE all the extras and stuff. Flix has started to at least release some of the stuff. Solo I think had some roundtable conversation special.

The "game" is a sort of forever in dev sort of thing and the dates are all a bit questionable. What stinks is he as the minority has to prove the theft and claim it was not a happy accident. Add in is they way he was treated by CBS. It just shows everything is geared towards protecting companies not individuals.

https://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2018/09/11/understanding-the-star-trek-discovery-plagiarism-allegations/
    Best article I seen so far on it. Too many of these "news" sites just elude to this or that or do not even do work to really understand what they are reporting on.
  • ViperViper1678 Posts: 717Administrator
    Let's get this thread back on track, shall we :)

So I've stepped away from Star Trek a bit, been working on mods for Kerbal again. The announcement of KSP2 kinda pumped me up. I was going to do low poly only, but decided against it. Here's some shots:
    uh1ia3xqqgtk.jpg
    2hlhk23l0rdc.jpg
    anfx7qaega66.jpg

ashleytingerP5ych0p4thevil_genius_180MadKoiFishLizzy777
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    Viper wrote: »
    anfx7qaega66.jpg

Looks great! Haven't really played kerbal but seeing some realistic artificial gravity solutions allways makes me happy
    I don't play that game either, but that is looking nice so far.
    Thats that game where the little green guys go screaming all over when things go wrong. Not played either but seen it around through osmosis, Loving the canopy and the stepped window frames.
    Well, media pc is a brick.
    Lesson learned run win8.1 do not buy ANYTHING AMD.
    Hell do not buy AMD period, so now I have a 130usd brick, and a fracked up pc that wont boot cause windows update broke shit so some stupid security thing(likely spyware) keeps crashing the system when you log in. Cannot revert to a old version cause I cannot get into anything to do so. Meaning a loss of all settings in things like FF and all custom set ups.
    So it means I try to get win7 installed on a 6600intel cpu with a NVME or deal with win 10 or take this videocard to the garbage can as I bought at newegg and find out no returns policy so another thing I wont do is BUY newegg.

I mean who wouldn't think to see win7 and expect no support at all for win8.1? Sheesh.
    Long and short I should have never tried updating the os to get the damned dll fixed to run the amd software so I can adjust the displays attached and gain access to the features needed for the 4ktv.

Lesson learned shoulda gotten a 1030gt over the rx570. 130usd lesson and a wasted few days to rebuild the media pc.
    edited September 2019 #24
    So, wait, the card you just bought? And you can't even return it? What kind of policy is that? You should try the manufacturer's warranty. There's no reason you should eat that cost.

There's a reason I usually buy Nvidia graphics cards. They're usually more universally compatible. I have one AMD graphics card, but only because it came with a computer. It runs Win10. If I'm actually buying the card, it's going to be Nvidia. I'm looking at possibly upgrading my desktop to a 1660 Ti.
    Manu warr is just a rma for a "refirb" that wont do me shit as there are NO drivers or software for this card in existence for win8. They wont refund my money, that is between me and the seller.

Newegg is return for exchange only. So if they send a bad card or it is damaged they will ship out a new one. But the wont take a return for something else or cash back. It is something new least since I last made a order there and did not see it until after I clicked order.

Serves me right to not go over every line in the pecs and to acually dl the drivers before even buying it. Just would not have expected to have this sort of crap from a company like AMD to not support an entire version of an os when it supports a older one.
    Using win update has bricked the entire system now as it was an attempt to get a dll updated that I guess was not there. Well a vain hope. So IO went from a soso driver only install with the crappy windows display controller to a system that bluescreens when I log in.

Reason I avoided nvidia was because of the stupid prices. Entry level cards in the 300usd+ range is a joke. The only card in my reasonable spending was a 1030 and it had issues and limitations when it came to the HDR 4khdmi and audio as well as the ram/power to push said pixels. But then again it has got to be better than a bricked os and a useless video card.

I mean I could use it sort of in my old pc as it is on parity, kinda with my gtx770. But I really do nto need to replace the 770 as it is useless for 4k HDR and dhcp over the hdmi. It'll do it over displayport, least 4k but no dhcp no hdr, amd well tvs keep pushing hdmi over displayport.

So yeah. . . . . . nothing new.
    edited September 2019 #26
    Putting the 460 back in allowed me to boot and finish or sorta finish those updates to the OS, at least I did not loose the install and all the setups in ff and other apps. updates have gotten really bad some took a hour to install or multiple tries. Just not confident that it is really using the card to it's full potential. I pretty much have no access to any of the "extras" (software end). If I could I would switch to win7 as it has none of the quirks of 8 and 10 with older software or some games, mostly crusto-games I play and plans for a emulator set up. But the idea of the hoops to get it installed on a nvme on a 6600intel z170chip is just eugh.

Newegg offered a 21usd restock fee on the card so I eat all of the savings I had tried to get plus 10usd. So I guess I eat the 21usd and return it. And spend that much or more for something green. Too bad as the card did look nice and hate to know itll just end up in a open box sale or tossed in a pile of broke parts.

I did find a few 1660s for 220usd or so but thats a good 70usd over what I really wanted to spend on a low end gaming to high end media pc. Probably wont touch a 1660ti for a media pc, looking at those 1650s though. 128bit but dunno how much that might matter. EUGH nvidia cards are so overpriced.

BTW what I have been reading is amd wont support 8 8.1 on any hdw. This means gpu cpu and any other amd hdw. (dunno if they still do soundcards) If your gpu is OLD enough you might find older drivers. Sadly the rtx500series never had a win 8 driver.

BTW need to see more of that Kerbal ship!

eh edit maybe a 1660, the 1650s have horrible heat management so I do not see them lasting. Laughing at this one and might go for it is short, but fat? 2.75 slots?
    https://images.evga.com/products/gallery/06G-P4-1163-KR_XL_5.jpg
    link only as it is a fairly large image.
    Yeah, that did look like a nice card. But, AMD unfortunately has spotty driver support. They completely borked their Linux drivers if you need any functionality that the open source drivers won't provide, such as 3D support. I had a hair pulling experience a few months back trying to get their "pro" graphics stack installed and kept getting a dependency error, even on the exact distribution it said it worked for. I finally gave up and put my GTX 950 back in. Nvidia has awesome drivers.

The restock fee sounds better than eating the cost of the card. Someone just may buy it as an open box, as it will be considerably cheaper.

I definitely prefer dual fan GPUs, as I figure heat can be an issue, even with a huge heat sink. That one you posted the image of looks like one of those 3 slot deals.
    edited September 2019 #28
    Yeah if you watch the videos and it is just funny looking, more so than in the photos. I will probably go with the 2 fan 2 slot though as the 3 slot ones have no backplate. I like backplates as they are so much easier to clean. Do not have to worry about knocking off a tiny microscopic SMD resistor or cap/choke. Debate is a 1650 with a meh block of alum with no cooling for the other bits on the boards or a 1660 for 60~70usd more and decent cooling on most cards. Def no higher though. heh ti are pushing 300usd. Likely EVGA though I have not been the happiest with them over a mobo a few yrs ago. not much choice for brands, amd seemed to have more options in brands. T_T.

Something more inline with the thread, old temp case the media pc is in is no longer square, it is from 2003, so a dodgy walmart linux pc from 05? primer-ed ans sprayed and waiting for the other gpu. Well might let it cure for a week first. Hacked out a hole for a 120mm fan as the 80mm and 60mm fan mounts were obviously a joke.

media-pc-02.jpg?w=300

Sadly that sapphire DID go with the mobo with the silver black etc.

media-pc-01.jpg?w=300
    edited September 2019 #29
    Update on the card thing.
    DO not order from newegg, I have been using them for like 17 years. So they demand a restock fee of 20usd or so on my 130.50 order. Ok they charge restock on the full price without including promocodes or discounts. I can take that.
    Expect a refund of 110usd roughly.
    I get a notification in my dashboard of a refund of only 77usd.
    That is a 40% or so restock fee.
    Only think I can guess if the free gift they foist on you is deducted from the refund as well so the free gift is no longer free and because it isnt "refundable" I have to eat that cost.
    BUT even if I used the crap gift (xbox something or other)
    I cannot use it without the video card as it is tied to the card.

So yeah a 40+% restock fee.
    Add in no where do they denote AMD anything no longer supports win8/8.1 I had to find this on some enthusiast forum of people complaining about buying amd hdw and finding no win8 support. Least I did not buy a cpu and mobo video card combo.

So yeah after some 15grand and 17years of being a customer this is how I am treated. So no more NEWEGG. And I recommend to everyone to stay away from them. It is not worth saving the 15usd promo or even worse the 10usd savings from amazon whom would have had the card to me in 2 days while newegg took 7days shipping usp to usps (means claims on damage is questionable)
    anyone want a used for 5min video card and run win10?
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Working on the same stuff as always: robots, rangers, armours, faces. It feels like forever since I designed a spaceship, though. Far too long, but I haven't really felt much inspiration lately and it kinda sucks. I have been trying to pound out some writing though, and I feel like I might be close to putting together a pilot story for Iron Star. Quite hopeful for that.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Update on the card thing.
    DO not order from newegg, I have been using them for like 17 years. So they demand a restock fee of 20usd or so on my 130.50 order. Ok they charge restock on the full price without including promocodes or discounts. I can take that.
    Expect a refund of 110usd roughly.
    I get a notification in my dashboard of a refund of only 77usd.
    That is a 40% or so restock fee.
    Only think I can guess if the free gift they foist on you is deducted from the refund as well so the free gift is no longer free and because it isnt "refundable" I have to eat that cost.
    BUT even if I used the crap gift (xbox something or other)
    I cannot use it without the video card as it is tied to the card.

So yeah a 40+% restock fee.
    Add in no where do they denote AMD anything no longer supports win8/8.1 I had to find this on some enthusiast forum of people complaining about buying amd hdw and finding no win8 support. Least I did not buy a cpu and mobo video card combo.

So yeah after some 15grand and 17years of being a customer this is how I am treated. So no more NEWEGG. And I recommend to everyone to stay away from them. It is not worth saving the 15usd promo or even worse the 10usd savings from amazon whom would have had the card to me in 2 days while newegg took 7days shipping usp to usps (means claims on damage is questionable)
    anyone want a used for 5min video card and run win10?

Oh yeah, never order from NewEgg. They used to be good, but now they're trash. There are issues like you had, then there was that sales tax thing in Connecticut last year. Even if I'd been a NewEgg customer, I'd have stopped ordering from them due to what they did to those Connecticut customers. Also last year, they had malware on their servers for over a month before they noticed it. Hackers were able to get credit card info and all kinds of stuff.

I've mostly been doing component shopping from Amazon these days. I think my last NewEgg order was about 3 years ago, when I bought the graphics card in my desktop.