Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    I gotta say, every time i see that concept image, I keep thinking that turbolift tube is transparent. Which would actually be great for cetacean ops, I like the idea that the dolphins have as unobstructed a view of the room as possible.
  • ChiefBrexChiefBrex256 North CarolinaPosts: 110Member
    It's interesting to see just how much actually made it into the final version of the bridge.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    @mdta: Oh, that's a cool concept for Cetacean Ops!
    I won't be modifying the concept to fit the exterior, as it wasn't what my client wants here, but rather to be as accurate as possible to the original concept. :)

@BlueNeumann: Interesting... I never considered that... It clearly wasn't the original intention of Probert, but it would make for an even more futuristic aesthetic.

@ChiefBrex: Indeed! It's very distinct, but at the same time oddly familiar due to the elements that survived to the final TNG design.

I've tweaked the shape of the forward consoles a bit more, and created the second "sofa" for the bridge, behind the command table. As with the forward ones, it's just the basic shape for now, I'll have to modify it some more, specially where it meets the walls.

tadeo-d-oria-c3-05.jpg?1566450503

On another topic, I've unfortunately still to hear back from my client for the Astraeus commission, it's been almost a month now and I can't carry forward without their feedback on several issues. Because of that (and because I need to keep things moving, as I need to eat and do stuff like that) I've decided to leave that commission "on hold" until I hear back from them, and moved forward with a pending, smaller commission while I keep working on the concept bridge.

This one's from @JMP11. A canon design and, fittingly, another alternate Enterprise-D bridge. ;)

tadeo-d-oria-c1-02.jpg?1566450502
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1566450499

Yes, the second alternate bridge from Parallels. I have most stuff already in place for this one, the only big new element will be the glass MSD, which I look forward to doing.
    Donnyevil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777BrandenbergFreak
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Anyone else just see a giant tongue?
    RekkertBrandenberg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I like the Parallels bridge a lot. It's interesting to watch that episode and note the subtle differences.
  • JMP11JMP1151 Posts: 130Member
    It is interesting how far they have the “tongue” sticking out. I wonder why the designers brought it out as far as they did... in any case I’ve always been intrigued by this bridge. Without the additional command seating it looks pretty bare, but I bet the “glass” MSD will help with that.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Anyone else just see a giant tongue?

I wouldn't have noticed until you said it, but you made me laugh.
    Rekkert
    edited August 2019 #2169
    Same as @Brandenberg, I never saw a tongue... now it's all I can see... dammit @BlueNeumann! :p

I've modeled the new circuitry access panels, which while similar to the 'Future Imperfect' have the bottom details inverted, with the 45° angled elements swapped to the outside of each panel. I've also finished the command area and tweaked the material for the frosted glass panels.

The changes to the whole command area are very weird, but it makes sense I guess as they wanted to make it blatantly obvious that it was a different Enterprise. The captain's chair moved a good half a meter forward (and with the stand mounted backwards) is very... unique.

Finally, I've started work on the MSD thing. Most of the details and more importantly its size were easy to find out given the other uses of this panel. Specifically the ones on 'The Quality of Life'; and as the Ent-A engineering on 'Star Trek VI'. This last one shows the panel being nearly as tall as the engineering set, so knowing how tall that is, makes it easy to scale the prop to its real size.

tuchd2288.jpg
    the-quality-of-life-hd-115.jpg

The prop itself has three rails for the glass panels to fit in, but the three were only used concurrently on the original appearence of the prop, 'Booby Trap'. The two forward rails had movable graphics, while the one on the back had a static darkned glass. As far as I can see, this wasn't used afterwards, so only two panels are percent on Parallels. Their shape is really cool and intricate though, so it'll be fun to do.

booby_trap_hd_169.jpg

Anyway, here are the renders of the new bits:
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-05.jpg?1566512528
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-04.jpg?1566512525
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-06.jpg?1566512531
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    Brandenbergevil_genius_180Lizzy777Freak
    Your answer to Blue Neuman was hilarious.

I like what you are doing.
    That's some awesome work.
    edited August 2019 #2172
    @Rekkert Wow, I never realized the history of the MSD prop and I never noticed that the captain’s chair stand is mounted backwards! It looks great and I love the maroon. I do think that the gray needs to be a few shades darker. Looking at the screen captures, the renders don’t seem to have the same contrast with the unchanged parts of the bridge.
    ngton3hsqv5d.jpeg
    Post edited by JMP11 on
    All the maroon and the giant pointless piece of glass is making me think that this is the JJ-verse in the 24th century.
    @JMP11: Technically that's not a problem of the material colors themselves, but rather of the contrast settings I'm using for my renders. Late TNG was very inconsistent in how color correction was done, so a lot of episodes ended up having a higher contrast than others (I guess different directors did things differently, I'm not well versed in how film was shot or processed). Parallels in particular was very high contrast and very saturated in its colors (you can see the beige walls look almost mustard yellow on that shot you posted).

Because of the inconsistency, I ended up having to "average out" the appearances of the season 7 bridge for my rendering setup. As an example, here's the same render with two different color management setups. The first is my usual, which is an average of season 7 and IMO more geared towards realism; the second is a higher contrast, more "cinematic" one, which I believe looks closer to what was used on that particular episode.

@BlueNeumann: Wow... another thing I never thought about but... now that you mention it, I do see the similarities.

I've finished the shape of the glass panels, and started laying out the graphics for the MSD. You'll notice the ship's silhouette is full of artifacts, that's just a result of the low quality render. Still plenty of work to do there before it's worth a proper closeup.

I hope to be able to do most of the MSD tomorrow, as well as the balcony area for the Probert concept.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-10.jpg?1566557004
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-10a.jpg?1566557007
    Brandenberg
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    edited August 2019 #2175
    This looks very good.
    How do you do the MSD ?
    Post edited by trekki on
    It looks great.

Heh, at least now we know where JJ got the idea for the big transparent panels.
    @Rekkert Interesting, now that you mention it, that wall in the screen cap does look pretty yellow. Could you add an “Easter Egg” on one of the displays and have the “Parallels” comm badge design on the glass or one of the aft displays? I think that would be a nice touch.

@BlueNeumann Could it be the bridge of the Ent-D in the Kelvin timeline? :p

@trekki: Thanks! I use a plane placed just on top of the glass panel. The texture for the MSD is transparent in everything but the graphic itself. For the actual texture, like all my LCARS those are made with Inkscape.

@evil_genius_180: Thank you!

@JMP11: Sure thing! The bottom part of the MSD is pretty much completely unknown, so I'll have to make that up. Perfect spot for adding some Starfleet deltas. :)

The more I look at this graphic, the more I'm actually sold on its idea, if it were flipped 180°. (in fact maybe it already is, I can't read any of the text, but maybe it was intended to be read from the aft stations). It closes the aft area of the bridge, creating a little CIC in the process.

Sure, the tactical officer is kinda stuck in a smaller space; but people working on the aft stations have a central status panel. I can imagine Data standing up from the Science station he usually sat at when doing science-y stuff, and explaining something using this as a backdrop.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-11.jpg?1566598746

Going back to the Probert concept, I've worked on the balcony rails. The concept image has a weird detail in that the rail isn't drawn from edge-to-edge of the top level. To try and be accurate to this, I made the end bits go backwards a bit.

tadeo-d-oria-c3-06.jpg?1566598761
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerFreak
    I'm imagining a violent torpedo hit that sends Worf flying backwards through that glass. After all, they liked to send Worf flying on that show.

Both bridges are looking great.
    ashleytinger
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    I'm imagining a violent torpedo hit that sends Worf flying backwards through that glass. After all, they liked to send Worf flying on that show.

Both bridges are looking great.

Tasha didn't die by black goo monster, it was a random accident with the inertial dampeners sending her through that.... ouch.
    edited August 2019 #2181
    Honestly, that probably would have been a better end for Tasha. Most (if not all) of the cast thought her death was awful, as most of the fans did as well, which is one reason Denise Crosby was able to convince the producers to let her come back.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DduO1fNzV4w

You've probably all seen this, but just in case. TRANSPARENT ALUMINUM
    edited August 2019 #2183
    I don't watch YouTube videos. But, yes, I've seen Star Trek IV, so I know what transparent aluminum is. ;)

Though, after the saucer crash in Generations, they show the dome on top of the bridge and the remains of the dome with what looks like shattered glass more so than destroyed metal. But then, that movie is full of plot holes and continuity errors anyway.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    edited August 2019 #2184
    If you didn't watch the video, they have actually succeeded in making it.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    evil_genius_180
    Yeah, I think I heard about that a while back.
    It's transparent aluminum. It won't break. Though that might smash the head of the poor person flying into it. Maybe instead it could secretly be rubbery, so if you fall into it, it turns soft., I was thinking it might also be holographic like the saloon window in Firefly, though that would just send you flying into the other consoles. Who knows?
    @Rekkert Great idea for the placement!

I love the glass MSD. I like how it separates the aft stations and makes the bridge more dynamic, but it does take some space away from the tactical officer like Rekkert said. I don’t really understand why everyone thinks it’s a safety hazard. The officers work on a bridge with exploding consoles... having transparent aluminum behind me would not be my biggest concern lol
    @Rekkert Would it also be possible to add a display monitor or any LCARS display on the empty area on the “box” that was added to the tactical station on the horseshoe? I know it was like that in “All Good Things” but it feels like a missed opportunity to give the tactical officer a bigger display.
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918266 Posts: 451Member
    I could easily see these variations find their ways onto sister ships.
    JMP11 wrote: »
    @Rekkert Interesting, now that you mention it, that wall in the screen cap does look pretty yellow. Could you add an “Easter Egg” on one of the displays and have the “Parallels” comm badge design on the glass or one of the aft displays? I think that would be a nice touch.

@BlueNeumann Could it be the bridge of the Ent-D in the Kelvin timeline? :p

Usually, I consider the bridge they have in "Star Trek: Bridge Crew" the Ent-D of the Kelvin Timeline (different instrumentation primarily).

• ChiefBrexChiefBrex256 North CarolinaPosts: 110Member
    Didn't they also use the Parallels bridge in "All Good Things" - just without the glass MSD?
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918266 Posts: 451Member
    @ChiefBrex - Pretty much so, although it had the raised platform that would eventually be used for Generations with additional command seating instead of that "tongue."