Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Star Trek Thread

• BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Thanks. I suddenly realized that he might have used a horseshoe crab as inspiration for this shape. Or it just might have come out that way.
  • admiral hortonadmiral horton201 Posts: 145Member
    i want these models, great job
    Thanks. I haven't forgotten your request for Orthos.
    edited July 2019 #275
    I had an urgent thing I needed to do, so departing from the Mawson for a bit. I had an outside request for a Federation-like station. I'm fiddling with ideas at the moment and drew some inspiration from evil_genius_180. It's just a start, but is intended to be bigger than Regula I and smaller than Vanguard and the earth-orbit Mushroom station.

bwwfbak0ea3n.png
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180ashleytingerFreakAdam Warnock
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It looks good so far. I like the way you're doing the top. :)
    edited July 2019 #277
    Thanks man. You're so great to always comment too. Any suggestions? I'm working on windows. I think the dark scoring lines will fade when it has a surface texture.

xszmhuddcvfj.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777Freak
    It just occurred to me. Do we ever see escape pods on stations? It seems like they might need them every bit as much as a ship.
    It looks good so far. :)

Jupiter Station has escape pods.

jupiter1.jpg?w=600

Many of the other Federation space stations we see are from the TOS and movie eras, where you never even saw escape pods on the ships. The Utopia Planitia space stations weren't that high detail, so it's hard to say on them.
    Working fast and furious

sqlen2033wf4.png
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    It's like the only lighting option is green and blue lava lamps. =)
    Those greeblies are looking nice. :)
    edited July 2019 #283
    psCargile wrote: »
    It's like the only lighting option is green and blue lava lamps. =)

Big laugh. Don't you think the Federation can be groovy? Seriously, for some dumb reason I could not get light to show at the windows at all. I finally turned up the luminosity to 300% and got SOMETHING. I need to work with it. Your right Mr. Cargile. (Did Data have a lava lamp on the Enterprise D?) :)
    Those greeblies are looking nice. :)

I have a greeble database. Why re-invent the wheel? I add to it all the time. I realized that the guy (his name escapes me momentarily) who does all the Star Wars ships was doing some custom stuff while re-using a lot of greebles on his hull. This is entirely valid. Even in the real world no one starts from scratch on EVERYTHING.
    evil_genius_180
    I'm cranking away on this station. The surface texture is just a beginning. There is a lot modeling yet to do. And I haven't done the windows yet.

tcwwzvwazxf8.png

axcgvg789sde.png

evil_genius_180Lizzy777
    Oh, one thing.

The little yellow areas outlined in red are phasers.
    edited July 2019 #286
    The station looks great. B)
    Seriously, for some dumb reason I could not get light to show at the windows at all. I finally turned up the luminosity to 300% and got SOMETHING.

Yeah, that was one of my pet peeves when I was using LW2018, the luminosity had to be cranked up to make anything show.
    I have a greeble database. Why re-invent the wheel? I add to it all the time. I realized that the guy (his name escapes me momentarily) who does all the Star Wars ships was doing some custom stuff while re-using a lot of greebles on his hull. This is entirely valid. Even in the real world no one starts from scratch on EVERYTHING.

This may just be the guy you're referring to:

https://www.artstation.com/fractalsponge

Absolutely drool worthy Star Wars work, and I do believe he has a greeblie pool from which he grabs stuff. It makes sense, especially when you're doing details to that level.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    Absolutely drool worthy Star Wars work, and I do believe he has a greeblie pool from which he grabs stuff. It makes sense, especially when you're doing details to that level.

Boy you got that right. And yes we both mean, "Franctalsponge." His website is vast-and you can spend hours just looking at one model. Ok, hang my head in shame - confession is good for the soul. Some of the greebles in my database (and on the station above) are modeled after some of his. I try to make original changes but his stuff is so innovative. I'm lousy at that.
    The station looks great. B)

Thanks. I appreciate it.
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    Nice!!
    Looks great.
    Thanks to both of you.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    That does look great. Neat take on that design.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Really nice work on the station!
    Thanks all. I'm feeling motivated to detail the heck out of it. You all inspire me.
    That does look great. Neat take on that design.
    Freak wrote: »
    Really nice work on the station!

Awwwww, thanks.

So the following still needs more surface work but for now I am filling in tiny details.

7fl1ph5zxlrj.png

oomsqnnghe4b.png

It looks good. :)
    Greebles, nurnies, greebles, nurnies, greebles...

I had a minor disaster with LW19 and lost my UV maps. It is probably just as well since I was still doing work on areas that I had UV mapped and shouldn't have until later. I learned something about LW, a problem I had been having in the past that the guys at NewTek couldn't figure out. Every now and then my EPS file output from my UV map would just occupy 1/4 of the UV grid. Lower left corner. I figured out I have to delete the map and do everything over. Nice huh... :'(

51fouw8esbig.png

cp2saylbed9m.png

The details look fantastic.

Even if you should have mapped it later, the program still shouldn't have lost the maps. That sounds like a bad bug. :(
    I was the culprit who deleted the map because of the bug of the left lower quadrant output. :#
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    In the Main Works in Progress page--it looks a bit squished--I actually like that.
    The boxy greebles in the trench look a little too big. All the other details look rightly scaled to each other. Scaled down about 25% might look better, unless you plan to texture them with additional details.
    psCargile wrote: »
    The boxy greebles in the trench look a little too big. All the other details look rightly scaled to each other. Scaled down about 25% might look better, unless you plan to texture them with additional details.

Thanks man. The trench on the upper main station or the trench on the lower section above the tanks or both?

Now that I look at it. I'm betting you mean the upper one.