Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAlt Trek Spherical hulls

• psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    a6eaibcs70v4.jpg

Trying a different sensor dome with subsurface and translucence, with some mesh lights inside, and roughness texture on the side.
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777lennier1caveat_imperator
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    I DO see the difference in that from your previous renders. Nice effect.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I like how that turned out.
    No idea why the emission discs inside the dome are shadowed instead of bright. Might have to add a solidify modifier to the dome to give it empty space inside if the subsurface is treating it like whole solid the way a glass shader would.
    Perhaps it needs a Lava Lamp. Ha! Gotcha. :3
    In the Captain's shag carpet ready room. With blacklight.
    Back to pretty pictures.

Adding Solidify solved my problem. Sensor dome looks like what I had in mind. I also have a node set-up to keep the backface of those emission discs from shining so I only get the normal face light source. I also have a noise node added to the material. Added 70% anisotropic to the hull material and played around with the roughness texture sample, which I duplicated on the opposite side.

4u8o9by35njz.jpg
    1024 samples and D-NOISE add-on applied.

az2we9pns5ob.jpg
    1024 samples with standard denoiser at default parameters.

xgvqlayeudq9.jpg
    2048 samples with standard denoiser at default.

Light path settings: 256 max bounces, Dif: 64, Gls: 128, Trsp: 256: Trsm: 256, Vol: 32.
    Clamping: Direct: 3, Indirect: 9, Filter Glossy 1. Caustics both checked.
    Color Management: Filmic, medium high contrast, Gamma set a little high at 1.382.

evil_genius_180BrandenbergFreakLizzy777ashleytingerMcCcaveat_imperator
    Well that was worth the work...
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    Looking great, @psCargile !

If you want to really take advantage of Filmic, you might want to consider cranking up your main light source to physical values closer to the actual sun. If you're using a Sun lamp, something around ~520 is a good ballpark. You will almost certainly have to adjust Direct and Indirect clamping, as a result, and then tweak the Exposure setting to get to expose properly, but the resulting dynamic range tends to lend a much more "space realism" feel to renders.
    I know switching over to the Eevee renderer, lamp output is in watts, which is what I read the cycles renderer was as well, and once tried to apply a formula for solar output based on distance, but those number didnt appear correct. For outdoor scenes, I tend to use 3 to 5, which looks about right, so I use those values for space scenes, even though I'm not trying to match the bright ambience seen in LEO photos—usually because I want the lights and glows to stand out.

520 sounds like it will wash the scene out like an overexposure. But I'll look at it.
    psCargile wrote: »
    I know switching over to the Eevee renderer, lamp output is in watts, which is what I read the cycles renderer was as well, and once tried to apply a formula for solar output based on distance, but those number didnt appear correct.

The situation in Cycles is a little confusing, because some lights--the sun lamp, in particular--are in Watts/m^2 (irradiance), while others--point and spot--are in consumer-bulb-equivalent Watts (i.e. a 40W light bulb, not 40 W/m^2 received radiation). The documentation talks about it a bit, although my understanding is that Area lights use irradiance for Power and not wattage rating.

This site goes into great detail about the topic, too.
    520 sounds like it will wash the scene out like an overexposure. But I'll look at it.

Without Filmic, 520 will absolutely blow out the scene. With it, though, it actually works. The recent renders I've done in my Coro WIP thread all use that 520 sun lamp, yet I can set their exposure such that you can see both inside the shuttlebay and the exterior of the ship, as well as areas lit by nothing but bounce lighting.

Granted, I've got some pretty awful noise, but I currently suspect that to be related to poor setup in my materials or some other artifact of my scene having migrated through several versions of Blender. Once I finish the model, I'll pay more attention to what's going on with the noise, but based on the experiences of others (we've been talking about this a fair amount on the SFM Discord), my noise problem is atypical.
    3gdcrwuzb3si.jpg

Yeah. This is what I get.
    Look at the bright side... Oh, we ARE. =)
    Look at the bright side... Oh, we ARE. =)

HA! I literally chuckled at that one.
    Setting my sun lamps to 8 is when the scene starts to wash out. 5 looks ok. Anything over 10 looks about the same as the render above.
    edited July 2019 #47
    Yeah, I mentioned here, albeit not in a very prominent way that you'll need to go into the Color Management panel and crank down the Exposure (I usually use something around -3, -5, or even -7, depending on the surface) to get it to not blow out. It's the same area where you set the View Transform to Filmic.

Combining Exposure with Filmic should still preserve a fair amount of detail in the darker areas, giving you a very nice dynamic range. :+1:
    Post edited by McC on
    Oh, ok, lower the exposure too.

9ewur329n2g4.jpeg

I'm sure we'll see your work in a whole new light... (sorry, couldn't resist) :)
    4meoos0w3sxu.jpg

lq5b1zspo8wt.jpg

Yep, there's a bit of a difference.
    Brandenbergevil_genius_180Lizzy777caveat_imperator
    Nice. And you can still see the work you did on the sensor dome. B)
    jprhvwmiulnk.jpg

evil_genius_180Lizzy777Freakcaveat_imperator
    It's got to be kind of hard to breathe out there.
    Waving back.
    I thought at first he was doing the Vulcan salute, but closer inspection told me I was wrong.

All joking aside, these latest renders are looking really nice.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    This is looking really great.
    I thought at first he was doing the Vulcan salute, but closer inspection
    told me I was wrong.
    I was thinking the same thing.

edited July 2019 #57
    It's got to be kind of hard to breathe out there.

He's in a soundstage.
    Post edited by psCargile on
    He's in a soundstage.

Ha! Great answer. :D
    edited July 2019 #59
    That's one big soundstage. =) But enough of that. More art please... :3
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    nhx34jybatau.jpg

I noticed the problem with setting the color management exposure low is it makes the material preview dark.

Lizzy777Freak
    I really like your impulse glow.