Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    @mikala: Thanks! :)

@BolianAdmiral: Yeah, it's a weird detail, but it was clearly done in all 3 Ent-E movies. The decals themselves don't have the room name as the ones on the outside do. I think @Rusty0918 is on the right track, maybe it's a guide to the nearest turbolift (useful for guests), or to shelter areas in case of emergency.

@evil_genius_180: Filming, building, and lighting nightmare I bet. ;)

@Freak: Thanks!

@Nevets: Ah, that makes sense!

@Brandenberg: Thanks mate. :)

@I14R10: Hahaha, feel free to do so, would be great to see different interpretations on it. ;)

I wasn't kidding when I said updates were gonna be a lot slower for a while. ;)

I've been working on the quarters some more, changing the door labels, adding some shelves, and starting work on the secondary room, which is a small office space. Layout isn't set in stone yet. I've also added a small indirect light source on the ceiling, casting over the windows, to make that wall less dark.

tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1562187683
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1562187679

I'm also planning on adding some spotlights looking up from the floor, identical to the ones Picard's quarters had on Insurrection. However, I can't seem to make out how the light sconce actually looks like. Two of them are visible in this shot (bottom right). I've been looking at auction sites and behind the scenes pictures, with no luck. Anyone can help identifying it? :)

tadeo-d-oria-screenshot-from-2019-07-03-18-10-02.jpg?1562188490
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777I14R10
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    The quarters are looking great. I like the door colors and markings. I have no idea on the light. Hell, it could be a flashlight propped up over there.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    edited July 2019 #2104
    Looking good.

It look like the light source is just a simple light, like this one. Just turned up side down. Maybe embedding into the floor.
    0326026-2.jpg
    Post edited by Freak on
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Strangely, I don't see the pictures....
    I've been mostly busy with non-Trek stuff these past few weeks. I've worked on the commissions, but doing menial stuff mostly. Don't worry, I'm still fully committed to them, no burnout or anything like that this time, I simply got into some other work that needed to be done fast.

Yesterday however, while doing some sketches I came across my old design for the Potemkin engineering. Back when I started doing the interiors for the USS Potemkin, as a "generic TNG workhorse ship", I draw several top-down concepts for a ton of rooms (engineering, transporter room, brig, labs). After looking at that engineering concept and expanding it some more, I started mocking-up the room in Blender, and next thing I knew, 6 hours had passed.

So today I kept at it, I guess this kinda took over, so better to finish it off. The logic for this room (as with the rest of the Potemkin interiors) is to be quintessentially TNG but clearly from a ship that's past its prime (and that was made on the cheap by the TNG production crew ;) ). The center area with the pit is very much based on the Pegasus engineering seen in TNG, while the consoles at the sides of the warp core are reused elements from the Potemkin bridge.

I tried to base the warp core on the external shape of the Excelsior somewhat, while still being fairly similar to the TNG one.

Still a lot of detailing to do. The central wall mounted display will be changed as to not reuse the bridge MSD graphic (most LCARS display will be changed or tweaked in fact, right now they're just copied and pasted from other rooms), while two stairs going to the upper and lower levels will be added flanking the warp core, outside the glass on the aft walls. I also have to add random wall detailing, and a rail around the core.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1563325841
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1563325843
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1563325845
    ora tzoLizzy777Freakevil_genius_180ashleytingerI14R10rojren
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Wow... I like that Engineering concept! The style railing and lower panels surrounding the sunken area remind me of the USS Pegasus Engineering. I like the idea of having the pool table in a sunken and more "secure" looking area. I also like the way the warp core's aft midsection trails off into the wall tunnel.
    This is a great looking Engineering.
    I agree, that's a great looking main engineering.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    Oh wow. That looks fantastic.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    ^^ What they all said. Great engine room.
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918266 Posts: 451Member
    It is a good looking engine room except for one problem I can see; the way you have your plasma conduits melded to your warp core, since from what I've seen in all the tech manuals, you can't eject those with the warp core if you have to jettison it.
  • JMoneyJMoney189 Posts: 127Member
    Hi Rekkert! I've followed your work for a while but my first time posting. So many wonderful bridge sets. I Always enjoy browsing through your work.

Have you ever done a 1701-E bridge from First Contact, Insurrection, or Nemesis?
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    edited July 2019 #2114
    I think that that sunken engineering area is a great idea to keep people from stumbling over individuals around the table while they are doing something important.

Years ago a traveling display of Next Generation stuff came to a city near me and I got to touch and photograph the same table from 1701-D.

It's truly beautiful work Rekkert. Not a bad thought on Rusty0918's part that it might be wise to add a technical looking breakaway for the plasma conduits. Shame to ruin such a smooth design tho.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    edited July 2019 #2115
    It was 2010. I found the photos. I think yours probably looks better up close.

pea6vqqj4vdo.jpg
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    I'm glad you all liked the overall design!

@BolianAdmiral: Thanks mate! Indeed, the center section is heavily based on the Pegasus. The rails for example are directly lifted from there.

@Rusty0918: Oh they are certainly detachable in an emergency (and are modeled as separate pieces), they just look smoother than the Ent-D ones as they meet the core at a shallower angle.

@JMoney: Thanks! I haven't done the Ent-E bridge yet though. Sooner or later I bet it'll end up here. ;)

@Brandenberg: Oh, thanks for that pic! It's certainly been hard to try and get good pictures of the pool table LCARS graphic from the show. :)

I've done the LCARS display for the pool table, with a readout of the ship status as the centerpiece. I might tweak it a bit further, but overall I'm happy with how it looks.

I've also done the ladders at the back of the room, heavily inspired by the TNG jefferies junction. I did turn the doors sideways 90° though, because otherwise they wouldn't have enough room to fully open. As with the main doors, I have yet to add a keypad for opening these.

Overall illumination on this back area is pretty dim. In a sense I like to have the core as the main light back there (kinda like it was in TNG sometimes), but it might be too dim. I could re-add the floor level lights on the consoles, as they were on the bridge. What do you think?

tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1563428434
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-02.jpg?1563428436
    Lizzy777ashleytingerevil_genius_180Freak
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    I say leave the lighting in the back. It looks great and makes it feel like an older class of ship, less worried about aesthetics and more worried about working.

That and unless the TNG people were going to have main cast hanging around the core or those back consoles they'd have gone cheap on the lighting too. ;)

Speaking of, love the braces near the consoles. Reminds me of the WoK Torpedo room.
    I agree, dark is good. It makes sense from a military standpoint to not waste resources. (I know, Starfleet isn't military, and all that)

Besides, I think it looks great. The reflection on the glass partition is drool worthy.
    edited July 2019 #2119
    Yeah, I had pretty much the same logic going in my head. I might experiment a bit, but I'll keep things dark in there.

I've modified the standing wall console on the front end of the room, to have a smaller keyboard area. This was done for several reasons, first of all it makes walking through that area when someone is working on that console more comfortable, while also being less of a hazard risk for people there to fall down the stairs when the ship is shaking.

Also, this allowed me to move the wall closer to the rest of the room, thus making it a bit smaller. Plus, the keyboard area is now pretty much the same size as on the Ent-D engineering, while also making it less of an obvious reuse of the bridge console model.

On the other end of the room, I've added rails around the warp core. These are maybe a bit too curvy for the TNG "ship of the week" aesthetic, but I just liked the idea and had to do them. ;) Also, keypads are now in place, as well as another light sconce on top of the doors.

tadeo-d-oria-c5-03.jpg?1563483625
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-04.jpg?1563483627
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777FreakBrandenberg
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918266 Posts: 451Member
    Man, I'm tempted to request that USS Galaxy engineering I had in mind a year ago once more!
    Rekkert
    Nice I loving that railing around the warp core.
    Rekkert
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Interesting.
    Rekkert
    I'm serious when I say, that's super beautiful work
    Rekkert
    edited July 2019 #2124
    Worked on the LCARS and other graphics for the room. I replaced the MSD copied over from the bridge with a new one based on the cutaway graphic the Ent-D had in its main engineering.

I must admit, I quite like the MSD style we saw in TNG. The later ones we saw so much in DS9 and Voyager ended up being overly complicated and hard to read in my opinion.

I've also added isolinear banks to the seated stations at the back, and below the central pool table.

I think the room's finished now. I might add some further details around the core, like a Deuterium Control Conduit (that white tube the Enterprise-D had right behind the warp core), but I'm not sure how "necessary" it is. No ship that I know of had a DCC other than the Ent-D, after all.

Looking at these two renders next to each other, the room has two very distinct personalities on the front and back end. Sometimes I think that's good, sometimes that it's bad...

tadeo-d-oria-c5-06a.jpg?1563592655
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-03.jpg?1563594087
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    evil_genius_180BrandenbergLizzy777Freak
    That looks fantastic. :)

I agree on the MSD, the one in the Enterprise-D's main engineering is the best. It also makes sense to have it there. It makes less sense to have a huge section of your bridge dedicated to one, in my opinion. Especially since you can likely bring up the ship's status on a number of monitors.
    @evil_genius_180: Thanks mate! Yeah, I concede that it looks cool to have that big diagram at the back of the bridge, but it doesn't seem especially useful to have a full station dedicated just to it.

sigh... Okey, I bit the bullet and did the Deuterium conduit. I decided to add two small conduits rather than the sole big one the Enterprise had. This was mostly so that I didn't have to modify the circular glass floor/ceiling structures very much, but it has the added benefit of making them more visible.

I went with a semi transparent white plastic for the material, with a diamond pattern added as a simple bump map.

tadeo-d-oria-c5-04.jpg?1563600718
    evil_genius_180BrandenbergLizzy777ashleytingerFreak
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    I like how you integrated/adapted the Brittain/Zodiac support struts as supports for the computer stations.
    They look great. I really like that bump map.
    I really feel like I'm in a room.
  • NevetsNevets201 EarthPosts: 134Member
    Like the Potemkin's Engineering. Partly reminiscent of the Defiant's very cool Engineering.

The sunken area with the pool table in as a torpedo bay look/feel to it. Perhaps Potemkin's torpedo bay (with some alteration).
    This just keeps getting better and better!