Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    Ok some tuning for a hour or so and then collapsed and welded in, so the ship has a new butt. Setting the borked material shuttle in place it looks like I could just put a door in that recess and be done with it for a cargo bay. >_>

tsukuru-nx-0467.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0468.jpg
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180Lizzy777rojrenBrandenberg
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Corrugated garage door and a rough interior. Doubt I will do anything beyond this as I did for the saucer bays.

tsukuru-nx-0469.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0470.jpg
    Lizzy777ashleytingerlewisnivenevil_genius_180FreakBrandenberg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Fantastic stuff, as always.
  • LoopholeLoophole48 Posts: 67Member
    I didn't mind the butt but this tail end is looking good.
    Standing among giants
    Plasma flush vents in and a mess of grid cuts but those are invisible atm as they are just edges all over the strut and central hull. Think I have some more work before I can chamfer and extrude those out. Also some AO puke.

tsukuru-nx-0471.jpg
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180ashleytingerViperBrandenbergFreak
  • ViperViper1678 Posts: 717Administrator
    I like the changes you are doing here. Not so sure about the blue glow on the vents though. Might be the wrong shade.

I have an unrelated question for you. I was reading your blog and for the USS Mughi you mentioned that you used the TMP container design. I'm guessing those are the actual containers the workbees carry? The actual pods that hold them are your design, correct? I want to do a cargo ship as well, but reference is really low on cargo stuff for Starfleet. Anyway, just don't want to use designs that I don't have a right to ;)
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Love this ship.
    Viper wrote: »
    Not so sure about the blue glow on the vents though. Might be the wrong shade.

Heh, that's one of the things I complimented him on when I commented elsewhere. ;)
    Not so sure about the blue glow on the vents though. Might be the wrong shade.

Heh, that's one of the things I complimented him on when I commented elsewhere. ;)

Well, it's really a personal preference thing. I tend to not like that particular blue for glows.
    I like the changes you are doing here. Not so sure about the blue glow on the vents though. Might be the wrong shade.

I have an unrelated question for you. I was reading your blog and for the USS Mughi you mentioned that you used the TMP container design. I'm guessing those are the actual containers the workbees carry? The actual pods that hold them are your design, correct? I want to do a cargo ship as well, but reference is really low on cargo stuff for Starfleet. Anyway, just don't want to use designs that I don't have a right to ;)

Blue was chosen for subtlety and print. Not to mention having bright cyan glows everywhere adds some chinz to the fed ships in TNG era. Intent is it is just reflected light from the Cherenkov Radiation thing which drops to a deep blue. ATM I am just replicating what was there in the old model. I might change or even remove stuff and the glows were one of them.

Cargo containers mentioned are the ones the workbees turn into trains etc. The actual containers latched onto the spars are my design. Pretty much all that was there were the boxes and how they were stored in the enterprises cargo bay and those workbee trains. I could swear I had a photos of one and the clamp frame but I cannot find it. Likely was a christies auction set.

ah here we go least I found one of them.
    b_modell_shuwbhq_001.jpg
    updates of various things chamfered out the grids messing with the strut joint and added some other details about the ship. Most are all just decals atm as I work things. Example of one is the lower edge of the central hull panels I like all views except from the rear as you can see the lower edge curves due to the strut profile. Tempted to cut it flat from the side view to eliminate this but I dunno as it might screw up other angles of this area.

tsukuru-nx-0472.jpg
    tsukuru-nx-0473.jpg
    tsukuru-nx-0474.jpg
    tsukuru-nx-0475.jpg
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180ashleytingerFreakBrandenberg
    It's looking great, dude. :)
    Well, it's really a personal preference thing. I tend to not like that particular blue for glows.

Yep, different strokes for different folks. :)
    More grids and whatnot. Ignore the 2 turned edges.

tsukuru-nx-0476.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0477.jpg

and no I have not yet decided how to lay out the lower Phaser arrays. Hell I hope I remember how I did them for this ship EG the numbers and settings used. Heck I have been having to eyeball a lot of stuff as I have forgotten extrusion depths and bevel amounts on a lot of the bits on this thing. I likely have notes somewhere on them. >_>
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180FreakBrandenberg
    not sure anyone picked it out but the scoop had some issues so a new one is patched in. No funny dimples in the gloss/reflection and no wobbliness on the shallow lip. Dunno how but things got moved about back there. Almost reverted much of the surrounding area and altered the entire look of the cutout so it would be flat on the Y and scoop down to the hull with a little convex-ness but meh. I did not want to cut those damned grids again.
    A few other changes but not much sadly for the 2 hours work.

tsukuru-nx-0478.jpg

Also looking at a old paintover I did on the rough model way back then I oddly placed the phasers on the strut base and only 2 small ones. Dunno. I might warp a pair on the leading edge of the dark hull bit. Then again I might just stick to the painting.

the paint over for reference.
    tsukuru-nx-0187a.jpg?w=300
    Lizzy777ashleytingerevil_genius_180FreakBrandenberg
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    So many nice details to look at.
    I always like how you do grid lines. :)
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    So very Cool!
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    I still love how you've made this design work.
    Oops, forgot to post these loads of small adjustments to the grids, still some needed to be worked on as well. And cloned up some new phaser strips from the clone objects I found in the junk layer. Decided on a simple strip vs warping it to the hull across the belly as the original intent of this ship was to have that area as a large deflector surface for experimental FTL stuff. So off to the strut base they go. >_>
    tsukuru-nx-0481.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0482.jpg

Looking at things I might have to go in and re-cut or alter the grids on the forward shield bits that cover the saucer. You can see the grids are really weak looking there. I forget what extrusion chamfer etc that was used there but they seem a bit faint. Might be able to fudge it with materials though . Then again I might just pull em off and patch in new hull and cut them in a new pattern.
    Lizzy777Brandenbergevil_genius_180ChlorelFreak
    I have to admit that when I first saw the placement of those 3 escape pods on a much earlier render, I was going to say, nahhhhhhh. Boy do they look nice now. One of my fav parts of the whole ship.
    Slow day, only got some small fixes in the grids done and realized I had some room further back to relocate the docking collar on the neck. I had planned some windows here but I could still have some but figured it might be a cleaner approach vs skimming the saucer. Guess same argument could be made for being near the bussard for extension collars from stations and larger ships but I think those would likely dock via some hidden hatchway instead. Either way easily changed later on.

tsukuru-nx-0483.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0484.jpg
    and yes a screen cap cause I am not willing to deal with rendering it out.
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777FreakBrandenberg
    Ok, calling it quits for now I think. I might have to redo all of this and hopefully heh I have a autoback or save that is set just as a rounded things. Anyhow the reason I say this is if you look the outer vent is thinner than the inner one so the edges taper making the openings not consistent across the strut. The way i modeled it it should not have happened so somewhere I slipped up on something or did something wrong. I mean there is nothing wrong with the taper, I just like the idea each opening is the same so the parts were assembled as a series vs custom for each hole. Idea is these would act like the bussards in attracting rarified matter in space to help flush out the plasma in the strut and nacelle system. IE intake and exit out the top. I dunno exactly how it would work without some sort of "force" being applied. I guess just a tractor to jettison the plasma would work unless it was under some sort of pressure. Think of a straw or tube of water with one end blocked. If no one likes that pretend these are long narrow manipulation deflectors for slipstream drive!

I had planned a lighter blue glow for this but dunno I think the vents would be closed during normal operation and the plasma would run back like coolant through some sort of evaporator or radiator system to reset it for another go through the AM reactor to be all magnetoed or whatever the fuq is done to the plasma to charge it up and foolishly run it through the consoles and every part of the ship as well as the nacelles. Oh second image I have pushed the venty slot thing back into the hull more.

tsukuru-nx-0485.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0486.jpg
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777FreakBrandenberg
    On the other hand, mistakes like that make it look more like a model that was built during the days when they were physically scratch built. Having stuff slightly different sizes was common.
    nah efficiency sake if you got 6 flush vents on a ship you'll want them to be the same so you can have the factory just make the one 6 times. Eliminates screw ups and debugging flaws or issues in assembly.

Anyhow clearly I kept at it and reworked them. The openings are a bit larger than I originally wanted but the overall structure is what I had aimed for. Still cannot figure what I messed up but the bits are much better this go round. Just need to adjust the materials.

Then again I am reconsidering what the bits inside should look like maybe copper bull nosed things inside vs the multi shrouded vents. :p
    tsukuru-nx-0487.jpg

oops looks like I missed some smoothing on a few faces. Though it could be turned edges as there is a mess of ngons on the sides that need checking. (pesky hidden edges thing in max) YUP pesky hidden edges in the ngons, fixed now.
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Cargo containers mentioned are the ones the workbees turn into trains etc. The actual containers latched onto the spars are my design. Pretty much all that was there were the boxes and how they were stored in the enterprises cargo bay and those workbee trains. I could swear I had a photos of one and the clamp frame but I cannot find it. Likely was a christies auction set.

ah here we go least I found one of them.
    b_modell_shuwbhq_001.jpg

Ah, gotcha. I didn't have that photo. Your container pods are really nice. I need to rethink my design though, I tried working on it a bit last week, I don't like where it's going.
    Id say plan them for the logistics then work out a nice look. I think best would be is to organize the internals then shell it so arrange max load out of internal containers and build from there.

Third times a keeper. Second ones were just too deep for my liking.

second grills from last night:
    tsukuru-nx-0488.jpg

final.
    tsukuru-nx-0490.jpg
    tsukuru-nx-0491.jpg

Lizzy777evil_genius_180ashleytingerFreak
    The flush vents look great. :)
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    agreed!
    Yesterdays update. Had to redo a compression seal on something so not much work. Just planning of grids and panels. Though some do not really show up in render due to the material applied. Guess I need to get some transporter emitters on there somewhere.
    tsukuru-nx-0492.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0493.jpg
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerBrandenbergLizzy777Freak
    All I want is a tall ship...

Or this one.