Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Star Trek Thread

• BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Is John working on Discovery? I don't recall noticing for sure. I know there is a book on his drawings you can buy at Amazon.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    edited June 2019 #183
    He worked on the first season. I don't know about season 2 or if he working on Picard.

I heard he quite STD after he was asked on Facebook why the Enterprise was so different and he said they were told to make it 25% different.
    Then a few days later CBS came out and said that was a lie. But that just a rumour.

I got that book very interesting though with the amount of work he done on Trek it could have been double or triple the size. A lot of stuff he posted on his blog was not in the book.

He did work on the Godzilla movie that just came out.
    Post edited by Freak on
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Is John working on Discovery? I don't recall noticing for sure. I know there is a book on his drawings you can buy at Amazon.

Yeah, I have that book too. He indeed did a lot of work early on Discovery, and he also designed the Enterprise for later in the season. But, he also does a lot of movie work, as Freak said. In fact, he had just finished up work on Spider-Man: Homecoming when he got the call for Discovery.
    Freak wrote: »
    I got that book very interesting though with the amount of work he done on Trek it could have been double or triple the size. A lot of stuff he posted on his blog was not in the book.

Hell, his book from Generations and First Contact is thicker and it only covers two movies. But, I still like the newer book too. John has definitely had a great career as a very prolific concept artist.
    Does anyone know if all his stuff is just hand drawn and painted, or does he know 3D software like we do?
    As far as I know, all of John's stuff is done by hand. Everything I've ever seen from him for SOTL has been hand drawn and painted. Beautiful work, he's a great artist. :)

He did start off as a physical modeler, though. His first Star Trek work was as a model maker in Greg Jein's model shop in Star Trek V.
    Does anyone know if all his stuff is just hand drawn and painted, or does he know 3D software like we do?

I think he did dabble in it in the mid 00's but nothing professional, but he could not get into it. He was always amazed with the stuff the fan community posted and visited this site to have a look. (I even got him to come on as a consultant for the SFM 3D film project we where working on, but alas shortly after the project fell though.)
    I think he posted a one or two render of Treks ships he was blocking out on his blog, but did not go feather than that.
    I was away for a week. Also binge watched season 2 of Discovery.

Back to the Mawson. I've taken steps to make the engine more accurate and redid the saucer a 3rd time.

nrmcdiz4ntnq.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777lewisniven
    I need to watch S2 of Discovery one of these days.

That looks really nice and accurate to the drawing. :)
    That looks really nice and accurate to the drawing. :)
    Eventually to be a near dead ringer I hope. :)

evil_genius_180
    So I have been working to get things located correctly. Also refining elements of the model.
    okoog91a4acd.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777Freak
    Looking great. :)
    Thanks Man. I highly recommend S2 of Discovery. There's a new engineer who is hilarious.
    Yeah, I've been wanting to see it. I liked season 1, I have it on DVD. I saw the first episode of S2 on YouTube when it was on there for free and I actually liked it.
    If you remember the engineer from the crashed hospital ship who kept all the personnel alive, she stays on board Discovery. She minces no words but has a good-natured charm about her.
    I do remember her. She was pretty cool, and kind of creepy. :)
    Ship is looking good.
    you are really bring John design to life.
    Brandenberg
    I do remember her. She was pretty cool, and kind of creepy. :)
    They expand her personality and give you insight on her. She cracks me up for some reason.
    Freak wrote: »
    You are really bring John design to life.
    A nice thing to say. I read once that he (I think it was John) likes to see how CGI artists interpret his designs and bring them to life.
    edited June 2019 #199
    A nice thing to say. I read once that he (I think it was John) likes to see how CGI artists interpret his designs and bring them to life.

Yeah, that was something he posted on his blog years ago.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    Bring back the blog John. Puleeeeeeeze.
    evil_genius_180
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    So I have been working to get things located correctly. Also refining elements of the model.
    okoog91a4acd.png

Thats looks really good, I've wanted to see that design reaslised in 3d for a long while.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    I really like that long runway on the back, like an aircraft carrier. I can see this ship operating as a hub for shuttlecraft and work pods. An engineer ship or a rescue operations ship.
    edited June 2019 #203
    lewisniven wrote: »
    That's looks really good, I've wanted to see that design realized in 3d for a long while.
    Yeah I have had it in my ship images collection for a long time. I always had a positive reaction to it. So thanks.
    I really like that long runway on the back, like an aircraft carrier. I can see this ship operating as a hub for shuttlecraft and work pods. An engineer ship or a rescue operations ship.
    Yeah, I had vague thoughts of a carrier, but your other suggestions might actually be better, since now that I think about it, it comes across rather small for a "carrier" in the traditional sense.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    That I know of, only John might have drawings of what he intended for the underside of this ship. Here is my first take. I'm pretty pleased with it. The deflector is going to be unique.
    7p4v6icshv9n.png
    oho76ndlazi6.png

Lizzy777evil_genius_180
    Interesting take for the secondary hull.

I could see this ship being used by Starfleet Crops of Engineers.
    I like what you're doing with the underside.
    Brandenberg
    Whew. You didn't comment for a while and I thought everyone hated it. Sometimes a ship will look good from a lot of angles but then there is one where it is just bad. I know people have different esthetic tastes so it's ok. However, to me my other John Eaves ship does not look great from a side orthographic view. To some degree I can't help that, if I follow what I see in his original drawing.

I thought this one had a pleasing shape from front low and side. Anyway thanks for your comments.
    Oh. And I love the Corp of Engineers idea.
    edited June 2019 #209
    Whew. You didn't comment for a while and I thought everyone hated it.

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I work nights, so I was at work when you posed that. I didn't see it until sometime in the morning. Based on when the forum is saying I posted that, probably my last break.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    I've been working on the Saucer today. Scoring lines and other minor details.
    s5tq4w0c8s3z.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777Freak
    Looks great. There's something satisfying about panel lines on a Star Trek ship. :)