Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    I love the little venting things! Oh man, I'm picturing a flyby of this thing and all the little details like that just sell its scale so well.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9708 Posts: 5,302Member
    Spent most of the day doing and undoing. Roughed out panel lines so far aft ones are meh right now.

yeager-366.jpg

yeager-367.jpg

test extrusions.
    yeager-368.jpg

yeager-369.jpg
    evil_genius_180FreakLizzy777JES
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    You have such a great instinct for design. Awesome work!
    Thanks

Extruded out and unique uvwing on the panels. Now to stop putting it off and to figure out what I will do for the lower panels.

yeager-375.jpg

yeager-376.jpg
    Lizzy777Freaklewisnivenashleytingerevil_genius_180
    Ended up passing up the lower grids to work on these fin things.

yeager-377.jpg

yeager-378.jpg
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180FreakJES
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    I'm in to those little chamfered corners you do on the panels, that's a nice detail.
    Always gotta knock those hard edges down!

Central spine detail. And a few overall renders of the ship to give perspective to the recent work. Mostly to convince me I am not going to heavy with the panels etc.

yeager-380.jpg
    yeager-381.jpg
    yeager-382.jpg
    yeager-383.jpg
    ashleytingerLizzy777evil_genius_180FreakJES
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    As always, I'm in awe of your modeling skills. This looks fantastic.
    Thanks

Ok started on the nightmare that are the lower nacelles. Pretty much have had to recut all the edges so I do not have a mess of slanted or angular edges crossing the panels. This in max at least results in a fing mess of inconsistent chamfering. As I am chamfering an edge cut into the hull. KIM you should never chamfer existing edges as it creates "flat spotting" in the geometry. Though I am altering geo slightly by manually cutting vertical and redirecting the horz edges. Maybe I should have shown a before and after lol. Anyhow renders show existing IDEAs of what I plan to do.

yeager-384.jpg

yeager-385.jpg

I really do not like that forward panel and the midway one with the angle but if I make that panel consistent with the 2 behind it it makes for some janky shapes around that strut mount cowling. Idea of these panels like on almost all my trek/fed ships is they can be removed to gain access to pull large chunks of the drive system out. EG that panel that creates a ring enables them to pull off that whole backside off and access parts en masse. Also seeing as it renders the lower panel line on the 2 aft-ward panels is not really following the hull shape all that well (augh) looks ok in viewport but heh. And well as canon says they can also be used as shielding sections, assuming the emitters are ringing the groove. (not gonna model that crap lol, just pretend all along the sides of the grooves there is a dental molding like detail ringing all along each panel gap.

AND yes, I need to adjust my pennant decals as they stand far too proud of the hull for some odd reason. Likely as all the junk in the nacelles have to be mirrored in the X and Y axis for 4 nacelles alignments are not all centered on all the crap that makes up the nacelles. I did want to semi mimic what they had done in STD making the markings look as if they were more than paint on the hull. Though I am sure it was done less because of the idea of durability and more of a software or time/machine limit.
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180FreakJES
    edited June 2019 #971
    Ok here is a wireframe cap to show how I altered the edges on the mesh. Part optimization of useless edges as well as altering the flow by manual cuts and manual edge removal.

yeager-386.png

Blue cowling is still a subdiv object. Aft nacelle cap is detached to mirror the details I was doing on the topside of it. All of this should be welded in once done but often I leave it in bits as long as the detached bits are on a face angle change or inside a groove (which is a face angle change anyhow!) it rarely is a issue in rendering in max. Exporting this would probably turn it into a mess.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180
    There we go other side is cleaned and marked out for panels.

yeager-387.jpg

yeager-388.jpg
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180JES
    Panels uvwed and extruded etc.

yeager-390.jpg

yeager-391.jpg

yeager-393.jpg

yeager-394.jpg

yeager-395.jpg
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180FreakLizzy777RekkertJES
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    They look great. I really like the way you're doing these nacelles, especially the bottom.
    Decided to fool with photometric lights vs the good ol MR omnis. Also messing with render elements but some of those were a letdown. Basically they allow separations of elements of the render IE spec, self ilum. Sadly it only works on direct view self ilum which is useless as almost all of mine are lensed or are used as ambient, such as rooms and stuff. I still like the slow way which is setting up these passes myself as I have much more control of the output. But hey if I find one in the long list that can save me a few renders >_>

yeager-406.jpg

I think in the end it is not suitable for WIP as the renders are slow 50min slow. It also adds a lot of noise to the ship, well more like fidelity issues you can see them in the forward heatsinks the grills on the nacelles and some of the panel work (again mostly on the nacelles)
    Lizzy777ashleytingerevil_genius_180JES
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    It´s a fine Ship ;)
    Rough composite from the above render.
    yeager-405b1.jpg
    Lizzy777lewisnivenChlorelashleytingerrojrenFreakevil_genius_180JES
  • LoopholeLoophole48 Posts: 67Member
    Have you considered making the Bussard collector lights a little more subdued and the domes slightly opaque? They're good the way they are but seeing them blacked out for your WIP renders reminded me of how they were more opaque on the original Enterprise model.
    Standing among giants
    This is to go with the wedge and Daedalus I have which use a slightly blurry dome. mostly because opaque ones ramp render times to the ridiculous. Some times in the realm of 1hr per dome.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    I could look at this ship all day. Beautiful. Interesting.
    Welp mostly spent the last evening collapsing and optimizing the cowlings then skipped a day sleeping I decided to start adding some more "features" that should reflect the canon model more.

yeager-412.jpg

yeager-413.jpg

yeager-415.jpg

yeager-416.jpg
    evil_genius_180FreakMcCLizzy777BrandenbergJES
    Mess of small details and more scoops and venty disc things.

yeager-417.jpg
    yeager-418.jpg
    FreakMcCLizzy777BrandenbergJES
    Nice
    Some grids and more small details here and there and mostly busty work like getting those annoying panel latches in. Having to cut them by hand as I figure it is faster than booleaning the stupid things in to the panels. Dunno, could argue either way is slow as snot. heh took most of Rouge One to align templates cut the damn things in and replicate the inset bevel etc that I had used on the Wedge as I wanted them to match somewhat. Yeah they look simple but crossing edges etc means loads of fiddly rubbish and repetitive work as each needs manual attention. inset, bevel, change mat inset bevel material inset material smooth, edit edges and all while making sure crossing edges are eliminated. BLEAH.

yeager-419.jpg
    yeager-420.jpg
    yeager-422.jpg
    yeager-423.jpg

I really should have cut panels that outlined the warp coil cut out. Oh well. Hope to be done with these stupid nacelles soon. Afterwords I think all that is left is figuring out what details to do with the struts and just decals all over.
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180BrandenbergJES
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    Fantastic! Better & better......
    Ok all the little hatches are done as well as adding a few. Spent some time making a dummy set of nacelles for some full renders. Some of the small details around the bussards wont match up exactly as I have to re-clone and position these parts.
    yeager-426.jpg
    yeager-427.jpg
    yeager-428.jpg
    yeager-429.jpg
    yeager-430.jpg
    sheesh took forever to render and clone off the nacelles >_>
    Lizzy777ashleytingerFreakChlorelevil_genius_180BrandenbergJES
    Ship lighting tests.

yeager-431.jpg

yeager-432.jpg

yeager-433.jpg

Mostly some reg objects. ATM they are just bent angled bits vs anything cut into the hull or applied as decals. Max lacks a proper shrinkwrap or what not for raw text.

yeager-436.jpg

yeager-437.jpg
    ashleytingerLizzy777Rekkertevil_genius_180BrandenbergJES
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    This is so awesome, you always do great work. :)
    Spread the "pill" cancer to the blue panels and did a in between registry layout. And I ended up cutting it into a extruded section of hull as I disliked the shadow edge the text created as it was a flat surface on a not quite flat face. Added white outlines for the hell of it.

yeager-442.jpg
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180Lizzy777FreakJES
    edited June 2019 #990
    Light it up baby! Beautiful work.
    I love this design.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    Not a real update as I did not have time to do anything but it was stuff from lastnight that was taking too long to render and one I set up whilst walking by the pc. >_>

Tried a proper material vs my jet black lettering material. A bit of reflectivity and roughness. The nose ship name though I am not so sure on. Hence why it isnt cut yet. Actually that whole area of the model bothers me.
    Anyhoo a couple of renders.

yeager-444.jpg
    yeager-445.jpg
    evil_genius_180ChlorelBrandenbergLizzy777commandersozoJES