Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It looks fantastic. I honestly wasn't sure about the bass ackward design when you first started, but you have a knack for making every bridge you do look great. :)
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918266 Posts: 451Member
    About doing an Oberth-style bridge, there's that one Tsiolkovsky bridge that had the emergency hatch door that had blown out. Interesting on all the Oberth-class ships we saw on TNG, we never saw the bridge module itself on any of 'em.
    Yeah, the only Oberth class to really have a bridge was the Grissom, and even that was underwhelming.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Yeah, we managed to see a couple chairs and stations on the Tsiolkovsky, but honestly having the hatch in there is so nonsensical that I don't see myself doing that bridge. :p

Anyway, I decided to call the Merced bridge done, here are the high quality renders:

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1560456603
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1560456606
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1560456609
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1560456612
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1560456615
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-merced-bridge-cutaway.jpg?1560456582
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777ashleytingerFreakBrandenbergAdam Warnock
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    The bridge looks great, Rekkert.
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Yeah, we managed to see a couple chairs and stations on the Tsiolkovsky, but honestly having the hatch in there is so nonsensical that I don't see myself doing that bridge. :p

Now I'm thinking of Sigourney Weaver in Galaxy Quest yelling: "This episode was badly written!"
    RekkertJMP11
    @Rekkert and @evil_genius_180 - "The Naked Now" was a pretty awful episode, not to mention the one that came after it, "Code of Honor." I never really understood why they did that, since there was really no place you could stick an emergency hatch/airlock like that on the bridge.

For Oberth bridges, you can use the Conn/Ops (Helm/Nav) from the Chekov and the Shockley, that would fit!
    Rekkert
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    The Bridge turned out really nice!
    Rekkert
    Rusty0918 wrote: »
    @Rekkert and @evil_genius_180 - "The Naked Now" was a pretty awful episode,

Yeah, it was just a rehash of "The Naked Time." There was absolutely no benefit to doing a newer version of that episode 20 years later. About the only thing that gets mentioned from that episode moving forward is that Data and Yar had "relations" once.
    Rekkert
    As with variations, I could easily think of perhaps a variation for a Miranda-class that has been transferred to civilian duty (a Lantree variant with no roll-bar: there's one in the beginning of my "Galaxy Chronicles" first story "The Sound of the Shiant," an SS Sirena with a registry of NGL-11789 (the NGL prefix was used for the Odin in "Angel One"), though the viewer would be facing forward again. There would be a single turbolift alcove behind the command chair. The seats would be the TMP "butterfly" chairs seen in the first four movies as well as on the Tsiolkovsky bridge in the aforementioned "The Naked Now," the Stargazer bridge in TNG's "The Battle," and on Okana's ship in TNG's "The Outrageous Okana." Helm/Nav would be Stargazer style, with blue/green movie okudagrams.

This isn't a request - but some inspiration.
    Rekkert
    edited June 2019 #2081
    After pondering about it and trying (and failing) to get back to them, I have taken the decision to stop working on the two remaining commissions I had (the USS Avenger bridge, and the USS Stormcrow ship exterior).

I've been able to take more work afterwards, but I simply wasn't able to return to those two I was doing when I burned out. So rather than keep them in limbo, I decided to offer a refund and move forward, as hard as that was.

I'm expanding a bit outside of Trek and my comfort zone though, taking in commissions for 3D-printing-ready props for a cosplay prop maker (which I'd rather wait to have the prop ready before showing). I will continue to take on commissions for Trek interiors, but things might be slower on less frequent on this front.

Having said all that... I did start work on my next interior commission, which was already planned for a long while: the first concept bridge for TNG. This one will be hard, as the only two references (the perspective drawing, and the top-view plan drawing) are nothing alike, so I'll probably have to mix the two somewhat.

Very early stages so far, and I've already had issues with the turbolift "columns", as they are quite a lot thinner on the perspective drawing when compared to the top view, so it's very likely I'll tweak them going forward.

I know they were other drawings of elements of this concept (the Captain's chair, and the forward "table" in front of it), but I can't seem to find them. If anyone has them on hand, I'd appreciate very much if you share them here.

The end product of this commission will also be different than the norm, as my client will receive a copy of it and be doing renders himself. Depending on how unique this ends up looking, I might go all in and release it freely under a CC-BY license.

tadeo-d-oria-7y2xsoj.jpg?1560803438
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1560803429
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777Freak
    Ah yes, the really ambitious two story "lounge" style bridge. It's very cool to see you tackling this, as I've never seen this one done before.
    I'd say that would look better as a station ops than a bridge, but then again, that's just my opinion on it.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    I'll be watching this with interest... I've always been curious to see how this concept would translate into 3D. Looks like you're off to a solid start!
    Like Chris I don't think I ever seen anyone take this bridge on before.
    This should be a fun challenge for you.

I have to say that I am glad they never went with this design. It never really said "Bridge" to me.
    I always though it would be cool as a lounge (before ten forward was shown.) or some other department to work in.
    Yeah, I certainly agree in that it's fortunate they didn't pursue this concept (or even the later concepts that retained the conference table at the center), it would've been too much of a departure IMO. Still, the design itself is cool if taken in a vacuum, like Rusty said it would make for a great starbase OPS center, or maybe even a civilian generational ship bridge.

This iteration simply assumes it's the Ent-D bridge though, so the LCARS and details will retain the Galaxy-Class graphics.

I'm still working on the basic shapes for the time being. I've made the turbolift shaft smaller to better fit in with the drawing. This means the turbolift themselves would be smaller than in TNG, but still usable.

The upper level will probably have an open office for the captain near the back. Some sort of ready room for when one-on-one conversations are needed, though still retaining the overall openness of the lower level.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-02.jpg?1561002390
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1561002394
    Lizzy777ashleytingerFreakevil_genius_180
    Looking good so far.
    That's looking really good so far.

It's fun to do "what if" projects like this. Obviously, Andrew Probert would have submitted dozens of designs for the possible bridge, this is just one that surfaced. While it does seem impractical in a lot of ways, it's still fun to explore the possibilities. Also, if you really were designing a ship that's going to explore the vast reaches of the space and is going to be built for comfort as well as efficiency, it's hard to say how a room as important as this would be designed.
    I'm loving where this is going, and how it's turning out.
  • NevetsNevets201 EarthPosts: 134Member
    edited June 2019 #2090
    Just recently watched "The Warlord: Battle for the Galaxy" (A.K.A. "The Osiris Chronicles") (1998) - available on YouTube [not great quailty], and it looks like the production designer might have been influenced by Probert's bridge on a bridge.
    Post edited by Nevets on
    Thanks for the comments, I look forward to seeing it take shape myself. :)

@Nevets: Wow, that could very well be the case! That bridge has a very Trek feeling to it, and that balcony is pretty much identical.

I've done some more progress on the concept bridge, though it's a lot of small tweaking of vertices that don't produce any significant change for showing right now. It's all for making sure the wall consoles are correct once I extrude them out. Particularly on the area where they connect and kinda open up into the viewscreen, it's a really tricky shape.

Meanwhile, I moved forward with another project I'd had in the waiting list for quite a while: the Captain's quarters for the Galaxy-Class USS Astraeus. I started this one today, and I have most of the basic structured in place, though lacking refinement of course.

It's obviously based on Picard's quarters from TNG, but with another room added mirroring the bedroom (essentially, using the full crew quarters set from TNG). Given the time frame of the Astraeus on the 2390's, furniture and colors will be based on the Enterprise-E, as was the case with its bridge (and yes, I will do something to fix that carpet).

I've decided to work on these two commissions together to give me some financial breathing room, and thus avoid situations that had happened before with burning out.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1561457001
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180ashleytingerFreakscifieric
    Great start on the quarters. :)
    @evil_genius_180: Thanks! :)

Progress on both projects today. I'm still tinkering with the front and sides sections for the concept bridge, but I did work on the back consoles. The dimension of these are very much identical to the aft consoles in the "real" TNG bridge, and I'll probably detail these in very much the same way.

The turbolifts also got some attention, with the area around the doors getting some more details. I've also started work on the exit alcoves, but it's an area I want to have further developed before going into detail on it.

tadeo-d-oria-c2-02.jpg?1561512971

On the Astraeus quarters, I've finished the room structure itself (though not all details are yet in place or properly beveled). I changed the colors to that of the Ent-E interiors during Nemesis, and placed the exit doors.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-02.jpg?1561512305
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1561512309
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    An amazing amount of work going on here! Some truly beautiful pieces.
    Nice work on both projects! Regarding the NEM-era quarters, I always found it funny that the doors had the same gold labels on the INSIDE of the room... I never understood the reasoning behind that, lol. I mean, the occupant of the room knows which room they are in - the labels are for the people outside to find their way with.
    Both rooms are looking great. Man, that bridge probably would have been a filming nightmare.
    Stunning Work.
    I don't think the inside labels say much. Perhaps a caution message or something.
  • NevetsNevets201 EarthPosts: 134Member
    edited June 2019 #2099
    Ref: Warlord: Battle of the Galaxy

The Production Designer was Sandy Veneziano, who was also a Art Director on some unknown series entitled STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION during Season One. Check out her IMDB page at https://imdb.com/name/nm0893079/ for more productions she has been involved in.
    Post edited by Nevets on
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    edited June 2019 #2100
    Yeah, it was just a rehash of "The Naked Time." There was absolutely no benefit to doing a newer version of that episode 20 years later. About the only thing that gets mentioned from that episode moving forward is that Data and Yar had "relations" once.

I thought that since Roddenberry was starting a new series, he used "The Naked Now" as a way of introducing us to what everyone was really like when uninhibited (i.e. "drunk"). Did I think it was a great way of doing it? No. It definitely was a rather corny episode, but I could see why he did it.

You do great work Rekkert.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
  • I14R10I14R1070 Posts: 140Member
    Rekkert wrote: »

tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1561002394

Damn it Rekkert, now you make me want to make this bridge myself :)