Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAkira Class

• FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Nice, loving those glass Materials you got on the blue part of the nacelles.
    lewisniven
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    edited June 2019 #33
    Phaser strips in, I've spent some time proving the array-round-a-curve- concept and I'm happy with the result, need to tweak the profile of it a bit though;

fwisz3k7xatk.png

b9zm4mgct8fx.png

Post edited by lewisniven on
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180ashleytingerFreakscifieric
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That looks really good, I like the detailing.
    lewisniven
    Just more random detail bits

fpgppdt6igb0.png
    bxqe74lrnqrd.png
    evil_genius_180FreakLizzy777scifieric
    She really coming along.
    lewisniven
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Amazing work on those details.
    lewisniven
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    Looking really nice!
    lewisniven
    edited September 2019 #39
    I rebuilt the phaser strip to raise its profile a bit, and also added the ends. Blender can end caps on an array but it was proving a huge pain to get them to line up so I just did a spin on the end cross section and then a merge vertexes, which seems to have worked fine. You can see a bit of segementation but we're at extreme close up here so I'm fine with that.

ioyq9vntvg10.png

Next thing I'll do is probaby start with the window booleans.
    FreakashleytingerLizzy777evil_genius_180
    The Phaser strip look good!
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,233Member
    Nice work!
    lewisniven
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    I love how this is coming along!
    lewisniven
    We have some windows. I don't know if I'mm 100% happy with the placement and alignment so might come back to this later and redo bits of it, but it's good to move things on for now;

kvmyxcgm6f1g.png
    n6d3oept0613.png
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180Lizzy777Rekkert
    They look good.
    lewisniven
    Windows look good.

I see you put the twin torpedo launcher on the side of the saucer. I never liked that placement, so did not put it on mine. Instead I went with windows.

This ship is already over gunned with the 12 launcher in the weapons pod and the two forward facing launchers on the bottom of the saucer.
    I never saw this ship as being a gun boat, but with the number of launchers it had it gives that impression. At first I though this ship was some sort of Carrier, for small fighters. (something not really seen in Trek.)
    But it come across more as a Troop carrier. It gets the troops to a plant then start dropping them down by shuttles (reason for the shuttlebay to got though the ship) as Transporter dampening fields are in place stopping them transporting down to a planet.
    Freak wrote: »
    Windows look good.

I see you put the twin torpedo launcher on the side of the saucer. I never liked that placement, so did not put it on mine. Instead I went with windows.

I'm not wild on the idea of lateral torpedo launchers either, it's not something we've seen anywhere else canonically, but they are there so I've stuck with them for now. I guess they could be there to help protect shuttles on approach/departure. A troop carrier seems like a good theory though.

I think that was thinking behind them. But a torpedo has RCS/Impulses Drive which allows them to turn.
    If a ship was able to get that close to make the launcher useless, then the Phaser array should be able to do the job.
    I just think the design when a little to happy with the launchers. ;)
    edited June 2019 #48
    I think that was thinking behind them. But a torpedo has RCS/Impulses Drive which allows them to turn.
    If a ship was able to get that close to make the launcher useless, then the Phaser array should be able to do the job.
    I just think the design when a little to happy with the launchers. ;)

Yeah they defnitely had fun with those, especially given how the ship only has 2 phaser strips (saucer top and bottom), it is an odd one. Maybe it's a duel role long range gun boat and carrier. ;)

• RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    edited June 2019 #49
    Great progress! It's certainly a unique arrangement to have so many launchers, but given it's a unique trait of the design, I don't see a problem with it, it gives the Akira a unique role within the fleet.

Speaking of which, on the old Armada games the Akira was a standard cruiser, while the Steamrunner was a long range artillery unit, with tricobalt torpedos that could be fired on a full 360° angle. I always though the roles should've been reversed. :p
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    edited June 2019 #50
    I remember the Star Trek: The Magazine article about the ship from around 20 years ago. Alex Jaeger designed the ship to be a torpedo boat. Also, it's preserved on Memory Alpha:
    "This was my gunship/battlecruiser/aircraft carrier. It has 15 torpedo launchers and two shuttlebays - one in front, with three doors, and one in the back. I really got into it with this one, with the whole idea that the front bay would be the launching bay, and then to return they'd come into the back, because they'd be protected by the rest of the ship." (Star Trek: The Magazine, July 1999, Issue 3)

So, that tells you his thoughts when designing her. It's possible this was yet another ship designed around the Borg threat, much like the Defiant. The Borg led to some unconventional ships being built.

You use the ship in Star Trek Online as a tactical officer. You get it as a Commander, if I remember correctly. It's got lots of guns, especially forward facing, but still only a standard number of torp launchers.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    I had a theory that other variants might have different 'pods' fitted on the back too, so the Akira may be the tactical variant with a torpedo pod but maybe there's a sensor variant which a sensor pod up there, or a logistics variant with a tractor beam suite up there or something. Think Thunderbird 2's pods, they can be swapped out depending on the mission profile.

Anyway, speaking of that, added detail to the torpedo pod, and added the windows to the underside of the saucer;

nkmsm8xwaviz.png
    0c3r8wstihdb.png
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180Lizzy777
    The pod is looking nice. :)
    lewisniven
    lewisniven wrote: »
    I had a theory that other variants might have different 'pods' fitted on the back too, so the Akira may be the tactical variant with a torpedo pod but maybe there's a sensor variant which a sensor pod up there, or a logistics variant with a tractor beam suite up there or something. Think Thunderbird 2's pods, they can be swapped out depending on the mission profile.

If you go with that Theory, that would make the Akria Class a replacement for the Nebula Class. ;)

Loving what you have done.
    Personal I never liked the layout of those rear Launcher as it would create issues with the load mechanisms. So I had them all pointing to the rear to resolve that issue.
    Alex Jaeger was not thinking about the interiors when he design her and went with what looked cool. It might have also been down to the amount of time he had to work on it. I know he a huge fan, so if he had the time he would have though about it and designed it differently.
    lewisniven
    Alex Jaeger was not thinking about the interiors when he design her and went with what looked cool. It might have also been down to the amount of time he had to work on it. I know he a huge fan, so if he had the time he would have though about it and designed it differently.

I'm aware that it wasnt a 'hero' ship either, so despite getting a bit more attention than Steamrunner and Norway, it didnt get the full blueprints and production drawings treatment with real thought going into the placement of everything. I think that kind of detail happened more when physical models were built too, now everything is CG it's easy to just knock cool designs out without investing a vast amount of thought in to the logic of everything (see most ships from Discovery, JJ-Prise etc)

• ViperViper1678 Posts: 717Administrator
    This is looking great :) I've been following the progress on Discord and it's nice to see it coming along.
    lewisniven
    5ot3bym8xgft.png
    dtccpqze26i0.png
    McCevil_genius_180MadKoiFishLizzy777
    lio5gp5xcbr5.png
    7gl73wqbidtf.png

Needs work but the idea is there
    Lizzy777ashleytingerFreakevil_genius_180scifieric
    Very cool work and nice job with the deflector.
    I was sure that there was trop Launchers in that cut out above the deflector.

I just did a search to see if I could find a better reference for that area to see if I was right and came across an old WIP picture of my ship.

weapons-full-ship-bottom.png

Dam that model was bad! LOL, I can see why I took such a long break form modelling. ;)
    lewisniven
    I really like what you're doing for the deflector.
    lewisniven
    edited June 2019 #60
    Very cool work and nice job with the deflector.
    I was sure that there was trop Launchers in that cut out above the deflector.

I just did a search to see if I could find a better reference for that area to see if I was right and came across an old WIP picture of my ship.

Dam that model was bad! LOL, I can see why I took such a long break form modelling. ;)

Haha it's not that bad! We've all got models we look back on and cringe a bit, thats how we get better. I'm almost certain they're not torpedo launchers but like a lot of things here there's room for interpretation. I've made them grilled vents but there's various things I could do with them tbh.
    I really like what you're doing for the deflector.

Thanks, 1701-E style but with the dual-tone of 1701-D / Voyager.

edited June 2019 #61
    Windows windows windows. I'm gonna have to break this up and do other bits in between because all the cleanup from the booleans is super tedious.

dylca069i1tm.png

evil_genius_180komaroLizzy777RekkertFreakChlorelscifieric