Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Star Trek Thread

• BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    edited June 2019 #152
    I should note that all these meshes might appear to be "finished" and so are in the wrong section on this site. They aren't actually finished. I'll go back and fix accuracy again and again. Even though I "finished" it months ago, right now I am working on details not visible in the top post for the NX-01.

One of the first ships I ever did was the Enterprise A refit. Like many, my favorite of all the Star Trek ships. I have tweaked and tweaked trying to get it nearly identical to the original studio model. I'm close but still not satisfied with it, and so have never posted it.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    edited June 2019 #153
    Hey, good to see you evil_genius_180
    Did they fix the problem with fireflies on surfaces with glossy reflections for Lightwave 2019? That was really off putting for me in LW2018. As much as those upgrades cost, I wasn't about to drop another $400 on software with issues like that.

I called it "Lint on the model" when I contacted them about it. :)

They tell me they are working on it. I sent them part of the Eave's model (3 images above) and was told to turn "Threshold" and "Filter Radius" to zero and then uncheck "adaptive sampling." Then I had to have "Minimum Samples" at least 14. It's considerably better but I wouldn't say absolutely perfect. The real problem I have been having concerns the new thinking process for texturing called "Principled BSDF." I like the concept a lot but I am on a new learning curve with using texture maps in Nodes. There is soooooo much to learn. If you have skill in node texturing, I could use some help.

Going the direction of Principled BSDF has helped the Lint / Fireflies too.

Heh, working on it. Lightwave 2018 got seven revisions and it wasn't fixed. That issue totally messed up my bussard collectors and other domes with glowy bits underneath. Turning off the reflections got rid of the spots but killed the effect I was going for.

I never messed with the Principled BSDF materials, I switched to the standard materials. (like what was in prior versions)
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    edited June 2019 #154
    I never messed with the Principled BSDF materials, I switched to the standard materials. (like what was in prior versions)

As I'm sure you've read, they are trying to make the settings closer to the real physical world and consequently make it so that objects don't have to be completely relighted if pulled into another scene.
    Yeah, I like what they're doing for sure. It's a vast improvement over the render engine with Radiosity in Lightwave 10. I just didn't like the spots, but I was working with it until I had to give up my Windows install when I replaced a bad motherboard. That killed my ability to run Lightwave 2018 at all. I was just curious if that had been fixed in LW2019.
    edited June 2019 #156
    I believe there were a lot of things fixed in 2019 (they are already to revision 3 of 2019). Perhaps the Fireflies were fixed too and I just didn't notice since I had the other suggested fixes in place. One thing that was driving me nuts in 2018 was that they dropped any cursor indicator of what tool you were using in modeler. The cursor was the same no matter which tool. Consequently my most commonly used tool? -- "Undo." Well the cursor indicators are back again, thank goodness!!!!

On a somewhat related issue: I had suggested to them that they needed to horizontally lengthen the little tools in the upper right corner of each view port so you could hit them easier (especially on high resolution monitors) and add a tool along with them for "deselect." Right now they have some aggravating hidden "deselect" that makes you lose point or edge or polygon selections if you miss the little move tools and click on the border they are placed in. I've done a lot of swearing over that design idea, and I'm not even kidding.
    I just completed improvements to the boom attachment at the bottom of the engine and the opening where some engine greebles are placed in the original model.
    2kvs33cgrrt2.png
    Lizzy777
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Ha Ha, for me it's just a hobby and no hard work and anyone can have my objects when they ask me. I just wanted to ask ....
    Your objects are very good !
    Brandenberg
    Thanks as always trekki. You too.
    Yet another ship I worked on during my time away was a Miranda class before the refit version on the original Wrath of Kahn (I'm obviously taking a liberty with calling it that). I think someone here did it. It was such a beautiful model as originally done, I kept the images of it around a while and then couldn't resist. With kudos to the original artist.

79kufl3ji0pk.png
    Lizzy777
    TOS Miranda class. Sweet. I'd love to see more views, if you don't mind. Your NX class looks sweet too.
    Brandenberg
    Another angle on the TOS Miranda

sywc7dvtu8cg.png
    Lizzy777
    A similar angle on the Eaves ship.

2tdwulb9u4mh.png
    Lizzy777
    edited June 2019 #164
    Orthos
    81p58zd2ffm7.png

e42y1e21s4dl.png

z9oihgbtdwr8.png

s75y2fakpvf5.png

Lizzy777
    Sweet, thanks. I love that Miranda class. The Eaves ship is cool too.
    Brandenberg
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,233Member
    Oh wow. Really like that Miranda class.
    Brandenberg
    Thanks to both of you.
    Another project was Crusher's hospital ship.

e41yc3ogummm.png
    FreakRekkert
    edited June 2019 #169
    Sweet! I love that design and your model looks great.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    Brandenberg
    Thanks eg-180. I might as well point out the effort that went into the raised grey area on the main hull (behind the sphere). If you see pictures of the original physical model it has the rounded somewhat puffy appearance you see in this mesh. It took a while to get that.

I still need to add details that make it seem more physically real.
    Here is another angle.
    chpvx5lj9g0m.png

I am also refining a Nebula Class
    lye7j6sdu3rc.png

RekkertLizzy777Freak
    Both models look fantastic. I can see why that part on the back of the sphere of the Olympic took a while to do, it looks like an odd shape. I love the Nebula class, that's such a great design and the model looks awesome.
    Another angle on the Nebula Class
    71jxyxfqaawa.png
    Lizzy777
    Very nice. Man, I love that ship. I've contemplated building it more than once. Someday, I just might do it.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Always liked the Nebula Class, the only thing I did not like about it was the location main shuttlebay.
    I always though it should have been in the neck for what ever pod was attached. (yeah I know she a kit bash of galaxy class. but they could have still covered it up.)
    edited June 2019 #176
    There is this John Eaves drawing online. It is the logo for a social club in Adelaide Australia. You've probably seen it - its called the U.S.S. Mawson. I'm going to take a crack at doing the ship 3D. Below is a comparison shot of step one. It isn't all that close yet, but it's a start.

kxcz0pkiop9n.png
    evil_genius_180FreakLizzy777ashleytinger
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Holy cow, there's a lot of great work in this thread! Nice!
    Brandenberg
    Man, I miss John's blog. He shared all kinds of great stuff, like unused concepts like that and stuff he drew for the fun of it.

That's a great start on that ship, Brandenberg. It looks spot on to the drawing.
    edited June 2019 #179
    Thanks Eric. Thanks Chris. I've already lengthened the front yellow portion of the engine. Also have to taper the back end of the engine more. Unfortunately one has to live with the fact that drawings are not like 3D meshes. There are things that can be done in drawings that can never occupy 3D space. Case in point, notice the curve of those two ridges on either side of the bridge area. They curve down more than the drawing. However if you flatten the saucer to lose the curvature, the foreground portion of the saucer doesn't look right.

Another project on the drawing board is the 1701-D

aofdvtoy211r.png

I'm still shocked by the fact that there are 19 cutouts in the bottom of Picard's ship with windows in them. I think I have 6 done.

Lizzy777evil_genius_180
    edited June 2019 #180
    Freak wrote:
    Always liked the Nebula Class, the only thing I did not like about it was the location main shuttlebay.
    I always though it should have been in the neck for what ever pod was attached. (yeah I know she a kit bash of galaxy class. but they could have still covered it up.)

Yeah you are right. You'd have to fly a shuttle out of that hanger very slowly. There is something at the bottom of the back of the main hull. Small bay. Probably for cargo.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Looks like your off to a great start on Johns ship.
    Like Chris I miss John's blog always had a great insight into things and not just trek.
    He also replied to comment made on his posts which was nice. I guess he got busy with work and personal life and forgot about it.