Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Star Trek Thread

• FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    I am loving the details on the back end of that Klingon Shuttle.
    yeah the NX can be hard to build. I did the Akria Class it was base on and found that very hard to do.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    edited May 2019 #123
    fcstlvjiqyeg.png
    An Akira Class is in my to do list too, and to some degree I'm dreading it. Having tackled the NX-01 though, I have a better feel for how to do the extensions from the saucer back to the engine complex. How about the end cone of the NX-01 engines - for some reason a tough one for me.

On another note, I suddenly realized something was screwed up about the previous NX-01 render I posted. I will replace it.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    Lizzy777
    edited May 2019 #124
    During my 2 year hiatus from Scifi-Meshes I did a number of ships. The Ares from Axanar was one. Below is a variant --The Ares as a diplomatic envoy ship with a conference center add on. The UFP logo on the top front of the saucer was actually a mesh that I rendered with Lightwave and then used the image on my UV map.
    3gnoeepsoa2u.png
    Lizzy777
    That an interesting variant, I like the conference centre on top. Though I think the connection pylon should be a little thicker and straighter. How do the crew get in there? turbolift or stairs.
    Intership beaming? :)
    If you consider the window sizes, I think the pylons might be wide enough for a turbolift.
    However, perhaps I should consider another design.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,233Member
    Cruise ship style glass tubes that the lift travels through. That'll either terrify people or give them a huge sense of awe. ;)
    I had actually thought of that.
    edited May 2019 #129
    This is a ship I've been working on that I modeled from a John Eaves concept drawing that never got used. It's a shame it was never used, because I find it to be a design that looks attractive to me from all angles.

wc5w8nmpok22.png

Lizzy777
  • ChlorelChlorel171 STRASBOURG (France)Posts: 5Member
    nice ship, deflector look's a bit 'flat' or 'primitiv' ... but interesting concept :)
    edited May 2019 #131
    The dish is physically concave, but you are correct it needs surface features to make that apparent. Edit - Did an inner ridge and gradient color on the Deflector above. Replaced image
    Below is John's concept drawing.

80ua3kogz5sg.png
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    looks like a good start.
    John did some great designs for STO, but most of them got trashed when the company that was working on it dropped out.
    When Cryptic Studios took over they used some of his designs, but when building the models for the games they changed something's.
    Thank-you Chlorel, Lee80 and Freak. So Freak, are you just guessing or do you know that design was for STO? Just curious.

Another angle.

8pee0lft1zuc.png
    RekkertkomaroLizzy777
    This is close to the angle of one of John's drawings.

hfjw7c5rtttk.png
    RekkertLizzy777srspicer
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9712 Posts: 5,302Member
    edited May 2019 #136
    if I remember right Eaves made comment about it on his blog "Eavesdropping" It has been a number of years since then, like 8? lol The dates match up as well. march 2006

url, not trusting the dodgy editor here as it does strange things.
    https://johneaves.wordpress.com/
    article it appears in
    https://johneaves.wordpress.com/2010/04/15/new-starships/
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    Brandenberg
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    @Brandenberg ship is looking good.

That was a great blog John did, got a great insight into the production side of trek. John also posted about his photography and did articles on films. Great stuff.
    I guess his work load got really busy as he stopped posting and never came back.
    Brandenberg
    Yeah, would love to see the blog updated.
    Thanks Freak and thanks MadKoiFish for the reference.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    I miss the Drexfiles too.

Good job on your art.
    Brandenberg
    I appreciate it. :)
    Added detail and paint on this other angle seen in John's original drawing.

oyxjlwpif1km.png
    Lizzy777ashleytinger
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,233Member
    That came out great!
    Brandenberg
    Thank-You Ashleytinger. I'm still trying to refine the surface texture. The new Lightwave 2018 - 2019 has taken some getting used to. The settings for specularity are different.

The following is an Enterprise C I did within the last two years.

mhsoqtrrr2dn.png

Lizzy777
    That good looking Ent-C
    Brandenberg
    Thanks. It was actually a lot of fun. On this forum I showed an Excelsior years ago. I have made progress on that as well.

mbgvi9wg9ays.png
    Lizzy777
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    edited June 2019 #146
    Your ships look fantastic. It's nice to see you kept busy during your hiatus.

Did they fix the problem with fireflies on surfaces with glossy reflections for Lightwave 2019? That was really off putting for me in LW2018. As much as those upgrades cost, I wasn't about to drop another $400 on software with issues like that.
    Hi. I dropped off the site for a good while because I decided to try a new security software that indicated the old Sci-Fi Meshes website had security problems and it blocked me from logging in. I have missed the site.

I dropped off for the same reason. It's nice to be back. :)
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
  • admiral hortonadmiral horton201 Posts: 145Member
    please do orthos for these ships
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    These are really beautiful objects.
    Can you download them somewhere?
    edited June 2019 #149
    Hey, good to see you evil_genius_180
    Did they fix the problem with fireflies on surfaces with glossy reflections for Lightwave 2019? That was really off putting for me in LW2018. As much as those upgrades cost, I wasn't about to drop another $400 on software with issues like that.

I called it "Lint on the model" when I contacted them about it. :)

They tell me they are working on it. I sent them part of the Eave's model (3 images above) and was told to turn "Threshold" and "Filter Radius" to zero and then uncheck "adaptive sampling." Then I had to have "Minimum Samples" at least 14. It's considerably better but I wouldn't say absolutely perfect. The real problem I have been having concerns the new thinking process for texturing called "Principled BSDF." I like the concept a lot but I am on a new learning curve with using texture maps in Nodes. There is soooooo much to learn. If you have skill in node texturing, I could use some help.

Going the direction of Principled BSDF has helped the Lint / Fireflies too.
    edited June 2019 #150
    please do orthos for these ships
    I'll work on it. Of course, very good orthos exist for the NX-01, Excelsior (Tobias Richter's), Enterprise C and the Ares from Axanar (Tobias Richter again). The last one admittedly without the Diplomatic Envoy addition.
    trekki wrote: »
    These are really beautiful objects.
    Can you download them somewhere?
    Thank's trekki, I always appreciate your enthusiasm. I believe you were the one who did the Klingon D5 Tanker when I did. If nothing else my wife would kill me if I posted my models after all my hard work on them. :)