Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Found bugs? Report them here!

GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
edited October 2020 in Site Support #1
fi2jtm0098yx.gif
Is this going to be a stand-up fight, sir, or another bug hunt?

So, brand new forum software probably means all kinds of small bugs crawling around the place. Report any you can find in this thread, and we'll deal with them as soon as we can. This post will be updated occasionally with open bugs and their status.

--The big bug list--
  • Sorting works weird, if you search for a specific tag
  • Latest posts on the main index not always correct (should fix itself, once people get posting since new posts will have significantly higher IDs)
  • Search functional, but results could be better formatted
  • Postcounts aren't working at the moment. Have a theory about cause, might correct themselves, once people start posting.
  • Timeouts maybe caused by kind of aggressive firewall settings. Investigating.
  • Mobile theme needs a rewrite
  • Edit post not accessible on mobile. Changed icon to be always visible. Waiting for CSS to propagate
  • Sidepanel can get too long to fit on page on smaller resolutions.
  • Emoticon picker is kind of useless.
  • No easy way to delete private messages. Workaround: Leave conversation button will remove it from your inbox.
  • Edit post and delete draft icons really difficult to see
  • Searching by tags is broken (wrong URL)
  • Update broke editing. Fixed now.
  • Update messed up top menu icons. Fixed.
  • Sign In link on the top menu doesn't work properly. May need to refresh page for it to take effect. This will apparently get fixed in 3.0.
  • Clicking on image or URL button in the editor does not focus on it as expected, so anything you paste ends up in your post instead, which is very annoying
  • Search box and link missing on mobile
  • Emails aren't getting through to people, especially on gmail. Have been manually confirming people's addresses
  • Changing avatar reverts theme selection to default
  • People with "invalid"(containing dashes or spaces, mostly) usernames unable to switch themes. Get error message about invalid username instead
  • Some badges get awarded multiple times, when user signs on for the first time (Level 2, most commonly). Workaround: remove extra ones manually. Users get to keep the reputation, since removing that is a hassle.
  • Editing first post of a thread will wipe the prefix, unless you remember to set it again. Workaround: Edit thread again and add prefix.
  • Youtube URLs are a confusing mess. Profile field only works with specific kind, so needs a bit of reworking.
  • Using URL tag on mobile kinda sucks
  • Hitting enter, while the focus is not on main textbox, when creating new thread, will post the thread.
  • Counts go out of whack when posts are moved from one thread to another, which means that # new tag will not work until the thread catches up to its previous comment count. No biggie though, will fix itself, once the comment count is back to what it was. No easy fix, since counts for new users are stored by user and different for everyone.
  • Twitter embeds occasionally just don't work. Think the issue is in Twitter's end though.

--Not quite bugs--
  • Slightly stricter Content Security Policy may result in broken images, if they're not available over https (most things should be in 2019, but I realize it's a hassle with some service providers)...
    Workarounds: You can use the attachment feature. Most free image hosts should offer https these days.
    I'll keep an eye on this, but I'm not too keen on lowering security settings
Post edited by Guerrilla on
Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
Join our fancy Discord Server!

• GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    Postcount should correct itself as soon as you make your first post on the forum.
    edited February 2019 #3
    Edit post isn't accessible on mobile, because you need to hover over whatever you want to edit, and there's really no hover on mobile. Changed the gear icon to be always visible. Waiting for CSS to propagate through the CDN.

--edit: Works for me
    Starscream
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    edited February 2019 #4
    My Drafts needs work. Auto saves anything and there is no way to manage or remove them. Could see them building up for everyone. Would not miss the draft thing anyhow. Only a few times in the past 20yrs have I lost a post due to something strange.

Messages is missing this option too, actually missing a lot of options like exportation of messages and ability to edit them or delete them, set to staff, off, or friends only. But mostly the ability to remove or delete.

Oh also not really a issue but anyone on smaller screens might have issues with the member box on the right being offset downward requires me on a 1920X1200 to full screen to see the bottom of the tags. I don't use tags but it looks odd but if someone needs or wants to and is on a phone or old display they might not be able to access "my threads" or anything below. Then again it would be cool to be able to edit what is displayed here so for me Id yank anything off it that is duplicated in the banner links.

Small observation and probably unique to me as I do strange things I cannot drag links from one window into a current one. So say if I have a window open on monitor 2 I cannot drag a new one from recent posts into the existing open thread. Dunno if this could be a issue outside of that.

Getting a kick out of the pinched logo styles from shows. Some though I cannot figure out lol.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    The emoji dropdown is only showing 12 icons for me; on both desktop and mobile. Anyone else getting that issue?

I'm also enjoying the multi-franchise logos, great idea! :+1:
    edited February 2019 #6
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    My Drafts needs work. Auto saves anything and there is no way to manage or remove them. Could see them building up for everyone. Would not miss the draft thing anyhow. Only a few times in the past 20yrs have I lost a post due to something strange.
    You can remove them in My drafts. There's a little X you can click on each draft when you hover over them, but turns out it's really difficult to see, and doesn't work on mobile. I'll see if I can make it a little more visible.
    Messages is missing this option too, actually missing a lot of options like exportation of messages and ability to edit them or delete them, set to staff, off, or friends only. But mostly the ability to remove or delete.
    Conversations (as the messaging bit is now called) is a bit of a different animal from vbulletin. The old Private Messages operated pretty much like email, and you can sort of think of the new one as more of a Messenger type thing. It's actually kind of limited options-wise. There's currently no way to limit messages to specific groups, and I don't think that's possible, without significant development effort, but I'll look into ways of adding some of the functionality. You can block users by setting them on your ignore list, but that's pretty much it.

As far as deletion goes, you can remove things from your inbox by going into a conversation and hitting 'Leave Conversation'. That doesn't delete it though, so I'll see if there is a smart way to actually add a delete option. It's a little tricky to manoeuver though, since the recipient is looking at the same conversation, and I'm not sure if one participant should get to make the call for the others.
    Oh also not really a issue but anyone on smaller screens might have issues with the member box on the right being offset downward requires me on a 1920X1200 to full screen to see the bottom of the tags. I don't use tags but it looks odd but if someone needs or wants to and is on a phone or old display they might not be able to access "my threads" or anything below. Then again it would be cool to be able to edit what is displayed here so for me Id yank anything off it that is duplicated in the banner links.

The site is designed to be run at 1080p and fullscreen (since that's what most people seemed to have, when I asked on Discord), but most things are responsive enough to make basic forum browsing and posting functional on smaller screens. I'm still messing around with the breakpoints, but I'll probably end up designing a better navigation menu that incorporates the functionality, when there isn't enough horizontal space for a side panel. Still, a little bit of redundancy makes for good usability sometimes.
    Small observation and probably unique to me as I do strange things I cannot drag links from one window into a current one. So say if I have a window open on monitor 2 I cannot drag a new one from recent posts into the existing open thread. Dunno if this could be a issue outside of that.
    You mean a like pasting a link into a new post by dragging and dropping? Can you remember which forum the new post was on? It might be a permissions issue.
    Starscream wrote: »
    The emoji dropdown is only showing 12 icons for me; on both desktop and mobile. Anyone else getting that issue?
    Uh, yes. I didn't really do anything with the emoji dropdown at all.:grimace: Will try to improve usability a little. I think we're using the Twitter Emoticons collection, if that helps. I usually just type : and start typing an emotion.
    Getting a kick out of the pinched logo styles from shows. Some though I cannot figure out lol.
    I'm also enjoying the multi-franchise logos, great idea! :+1:
    Great! There's more one the way :wink:

Starscream
    Delete draft button is more visible now. Also made the little cog icon always visible, but it's still kind of hard to see. Will need to sort out a new icon.
    edited February 2019 #8
    The link drag link thing is any link dropped onto this site. I doubt anyone else does this though except me. I tend to have a window open for browsing and another window in another display to drag from. It works on tabs but not on the site's body. Likely some code to prevent it. Like I said it is just something I noticed, as other sites do this now and likely is a way to avoid exploits or some other issue.

As for the full screen, I did not know anyone did that since the mid 90s. But then again I do strange things.

As for the emoti looking at them now they are overlapped and only a small set in a 3X4 arrangement. <3 that looks like an apple.
    Emoji picker slightly less useless now. :)
    As for the full screen, I did not know anyone did that since the mid 90s. But then again I do strange things.
    I was kind of surprised as well, but to be honest, my poll got like 6 responses :tongue:. Anyway, added a vertical breakpoint,so the side panel should scroll along happily in shorter windows.

CSS may take a while to propagate.
    Starscream
    Made the edit post icon a little easier to see.
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    The thumbnails in my post aren't showing up any more. The links work, just no thumbs.

example:

tower0323-thumb.jpg
    That's probably an https issue. There's a new Content Security Policy in place for mixed content. Basically, all requests get upgraded from http to https. This gets rid of the mixed content warnings (yellow padlocks) whenever someone is linking things via http, and makes things a little more secure, since there aren't any unecrypted requests in the mix.

Is https something you can enable on your site easily?
    Yeah... I'll just figure out if I want to spend some money, or go to the trouble of changing hosts and moving everything to save some money.
    IUf you mean the little yellow triangle (FF) commenting site provides no ID then most pages including outside sources the site pops this up.

And yes https on a private host usually means a higher monthly fee. My isp hosting is like this. They want like 30usd more for https and cgi bin for java code.

I suggest anyone looking to migrate look at wordpress, they give 3gigs of storage and allow multiple blogs. Support https as well as little extras like adding ?w=300 to make the image show as 300pixels WIDE or even altering aspect with W= and H=code. I do not think I have ruin across a forum this wont work on unless they have a overriding display plug in. And there is no silly restriction like BW image size or req to link to a page full of garbage or roping people to sign up to view the full sized image or decide to shill and then break everything. (photophukit imagecrap and imgur I glare at thee)

One thing I have noticed though as thumbnails are being generated as hotlinked objects the newest posts results are pretty heavy in load and often lags quite a bit. FF chews up a substantial amount of ram and given it is stuck in 32bit land that tops out at about 3gigs.
    edited March 2019 #15
    I realize it's a hassle. In an ideal world https would be the default offering everywhere at no additional cost. Letsencrypt.com and Cloudflare offer free SSL certificates that are pretty easy to hook up. (We use Cloudflare).

It's not difficult to change the setting back to the way it was, and passive content is probably pretty safe in general, but given the issues we've had in the past, I'm kind of leaning towards keeping security settings pretty strict.
    edited March 2019 #16
    Also forgot to mention I get a error on the linked image. "cannot be displayed because it contains errors"

ROJREN: Also on your thread all the thumbs appear for me. They do however open inline vs new tab. The "URL" bb code causes this. I also cleared cache before looking.

shipthumbs.jpg
    edited March 2019 #17
    Yes, I agree. Keep the security strict. I knew that I'd eventually have to address this. I just kept putting it off.

MadKoiFish, That's weird. I can't see them at home or at work.
    Post edited by rojren on
    Guerrilla
    edited March 2019 #18
    Maybe it is some security setting in my client vs yours?

OK just tested on my cel with chrome. The thumbnails show up and I have not visited the site with the cel in over a year. Loads of scrolling about though. <_<

MadKoiFish wrote: »
    One thing I have noticed though as thumbnails are being generated as hotlinked objects the newest posts results are pretty heavy in load and often lags quite a bit. FF chews up a substantial amount of ram and given it is stuck in 32bit land that tops out at about 3gigs.

Yeah, it just grabs the first image in a thread. I was kind of worried when someone would notice. :grimace: Caching helps a little as does limiting the forum index pages to 30 threads, but obviously proper thumbnail generator is something that I need to code at some point.
    Yeah I figured it was the only real way to fill the thumbs with something a user could edit or change without it generating one once and never change if the first image is changed out. Not to mention minimize load on the server having to actively check the thumbs every time or least every time someone edits first post in a thread.
  • rwkingrwking189 Posts: 173Member
    Search feature on mobile can't be found
    Doh! I'll add it to the new mobile theme. In the meantime, you can access search at https://forums.scifi-meshes.com/search
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    I'm finding that when writing a quick reply, pressing the 'attach image' popup doesn't focus on it. So if I press ctrl+v after clicking on it, the image link will get pasted onto the reply text dialogue, not on the 'attach image' popup.
    This only started happening recently. Is it possible that one of the Vanilla updates broke this?
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Yeah, it's happened to me a bunch of times, when posting links, and it's really annoying. I don't think it's a new issue though...

Anyway, I'll look into it.
    New, slightly less useless, mobile theme online.
    Email delivery problems should be mostly resolved. Verified on Gmail, Outlook and Yahoo
    Might have found one changed avvie image and lost the configured theme. Went from warm tones to the cyan one. Unless something happened at the exact same time. Not a breaking bug but heh.
    Looks like changing the avatar does indeed reset your theme selection (the blue one is the default). Huh. Weird.

Workaround is going to Edit Profile and changing it back. :p
    Needing to reload page when logging in bug should now be fixed. Works in my end, but do let me know, if that's not the case for you.
    Youtube has a confusing mess of 3 or 4 different types of URLs for profiles, only one of which is currently working. I'll change the field to take the whole URL instead.
    Forget when the update hit but cookies expire far sooner than they set. Log in forever does not last. Default the cookie I think sets 12yrs ahead or something but mine expired recently.

The typing in say urls or image urls in the pop overs still does not change focus to the pop over field. you still have to click into that field to type the content.

Hated the draft saving but I just blocked the script and it fixed that annoyance. Dislike anything I have not deemed public is stored on site like that. Luckily this software contains everything on it's end unlike others whom use public repositories like googleapis.