Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStarTrek DS9

• LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    gpdesigner wrote: »
    Thanks Saquist, I thought so when I started the project in 2007. I didn't want to build a Cannon station, the lack of detail references made me want to kick the station up a notch. Not a huge change, just fudge the details a bit to make sense of the things I couldn't see. Anyway it's not 100% DS9 physical model it's DS9 ala gpdesigner :D

update:
    Attachment not found.

Love it, what color is this, copper? I know what you mean about making it your own, that's what I am doing with my Nova class.
  • gpdesignergpdesigner203 MontrealPosts: 323Member
    Hello all,
    I'm back...lol
    I hope everyone is doing well... I put down Lightwave for a while as I was getting burned out big time... lots of unfinished models floating around in my hard drive and computer time was becoming premium
    I am getting a twitch to get back into this but it will be slow going untilI get back into the swing of Lightwave again..
    I chose this DS9 to finish first, The Mesh is done and I remember starting on the image maps... going to chip away at it slowly until it is finished...
    Only took 12 years to do... but hey who's counting...
    gp
    Starrigger
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    Welcome back, look forward to your progress!
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
    Starrigger wrote: »
    Welcome back, look forward to your progress!

Thanks Starrigger, I can't say I will devote as much time as I use to when I was doing this 24/7, but I have some free time now and want to get back into finishing this.
    I added some detail to the main dock on the outer ring, moved around a few details and added a few more just to make it look more full.
    I am afraid that I will be modelling and tweaking while doing textures... hope I can remember how to put this station back together.
    GP
    0ilespn39gv1.jpg

v8tt0c2tfvaq.jpg

qsaxi2kdq5hx.jpg

for reference this is how the old dock looked

cbiezhgqgcob.jpg
    Lizzy777
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    It's gorgeous.
    gpdesigner
    OK .. so I realized that my present procedural texture skills will not cut it... oddly enough when Nodes came out I didn't bother to learn how to use them... guess what... what a perfect time to learn...
    The last 2 days I have been teaching myself the Node Editor... mind you I have seen it before so it is not new,
    I had a version of LW9 with manuals and in those manuals they cover Nodes in depths so I have been reading that religiously...
    tragically, over the years since LW9, I have upgraded to 11.6 so there are some differences but I don't see anything drastic...yet.
    The best thing to come out of this is in Learning Nodes, my relationship with Lightwave is being renewed...
    I am liking it again...
    just an update
    gp
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Hello all,
    I'm back...lol
    I hope everyone is doing well... I put down Lightwave for a while as I was getting burned out big time... lots of unfinished models floating around in my hard drive and computer time was becoming premium
    I am getting a twitch to get back into this but it will be slow going untilI get back into the swing of Lightwave again..
    I chose this DS9 to finish first, The Mesh is done and I remember starting on the image maps... going to chip away at it slowly until it is finished...
    Only took 12 years to do... but hey who's counting...
    gp

Welcome back bro! How you doing?
  • NevetsNevets201 EarthPosts: 134Member
    Welcome back gpdesigner. (First thought was someone necroposted.)

Yes DS9 LIVES!
  • John MarchantJohn Marchant336 Posts: 96Member
    Glad to hear you are back on her.
    Starship wrote: »

Hello Starship, how are ya? Long time...
    I am doing great, good to be back, going to be here in moderation of course. I just got burned out on LW and life seemed to turn up the volume so things just kept me away from 3d. Plus it didn't help I found World of Tanks which took up all my spare time... that game is addictive...lol
    How are you doing Brother?
    Nevets wrote: »
    Welcome back gpdesigner. (First thought was someone necroposted.) Yes DS9 LIVES!
    Yep, .. going to finally finish this Space Station off, I think the new found interest in nodes has re-engaged me in 3d again... going to see if I can complete the texturing in nodes where possible, wish me luck.
    Glad to hear you are back on her.
    Yes, So far I have textured the Pylons and the docks on the Pylons now I am wrapping up the outer docking ring, here are a few shots of completed progress...

Thank you all for the warm welcome home...
    gp

dvf9bd5tsrp5.jpg

be64yaqug63d.jpg

Lizzy777Rekkert
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member

Hello Starship, how are ya? Long time...
    I am doing great, good to be back, going to be here in moderation of course. I just got burned out on LW and life seemed to turn up the volume so things just kept me away from 3d. Plus it didn't help I found World of Tanks which took up all my spare time... that game is addictive...lol
    How are you doing Brother?

I´m doing great too. I have two kids (10 and 15 years old), and I´m working as a manger in TI department. I also got the hobby of fruit trees in pots
    It all together leaves me with almost no free time. So, my hd is still full of unfinished wips. I played with sketchup a few years ago, and it didn´t help to reduce my backlog. In fact, it increased. :D

Talking about the DS9, wonderfull work bro. You came back even more skilled. ;)
    Talking about the DS9, wonderfull work bro. You came back even more skilled. ;)
    Two kids 10 and 15... good luck to you my friend... I have one daughter 13, ... it's just starting... :angry:
    My brother in law is working with sketchup, he likes it, tried to get me involved I told him one vector program is about all I can handle atm...

Skills, I don't know if I have more, but I can say I have mellowed in my approach to modelling and texturing.
    Taking my time and seeing what works is about all...
    and I have decided to finish this dang mesh at all costs... this way I can say I did it, and on to another project which will take me another 20 years to finish... lol
    Outer ring is done, now to move onto the inner ring... have to start that from scratch, now image maps, no textures not even sure I did the poly optimization on it yet...lol
    Here is a before and after shot of the small docking stations on the outer ring

3zc9csy107cs.jpg

9zicabsddv2o.jpg

Oh and one more thing... I saw a bit of detail in the series photo's that I may want to model... unfortunately the detail envolves the windows of the ship... all of the windows... I may remodel them, I don't know, I have to see how I feel
    Here is what I have:

bh3lgl1vh2nb.jpg
    I had some for thought and added the oval bits in, but left them flat... here is the series:

w6rd6bajfxpp.jpg

All I need to do is bevel them out a bit and round the edges... but all over the outer portion of the ship....

and then I spotted this:
    j4nb9nerv62j.bmp

this is what I have

9xupczgsjkqb.jpg

Anyway this is the inner ring and I haven't gotten there yet so my options are open...
    personally, I think I am going to change them... :)

Lizzy777
    Worked on the Habitat Ring this week, man was there a lot of random surfaces to clean up, getting ready to create UV maps for the ring this week, hopefully by friday I should have some images to post .
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    looks good man.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    That is just beautiful!
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    That is one stunning build of DS9.
    Freak wrote: »
    That is one stunning build of DS9.

Thanks Freak... it's only taking 10 years to finish...LOL... no rush
    Update...
    chipping away at it... making maps for Habi Ring. As long as I do one thing per day It will get done.
    a1cpd81bvh5k.jpg
    ashleytingerLizzy777
    Thanks Freak... it's only taking 10 years to finish...LOL... no rush

I was thinking of build her myself, but I think if I was to do it at this level of details it would end up being like tobian's Endless Pluto station. Never finished. ;)

I was thinking of build her myself, but I think if I was to do it at this level of details it would end up being like tobian's Endless Pluto station. Never finished. ;)

Is he still working on that? I haven't seen the build in a long time... Pluto Station is a one of a kid for sure.
    as far as building your own DS9, go for it. take as long as you need. Enjoying the build is part of the process.
    Is he still working on that? I haven't seen the build in a long time... Pluto Station is a one of a kid for sure.
    as far as building your own DS9, go for it. take as long as you need. Enjoying the build is part of the process.

Last time I saw him he was, but that was a few years back. He started a blog and was updating on there for a little while but then it all stopped.

You know I think I will build it, could you point me in the right direction for some decent ref/ blueprints?
    You know I think I will build it, could you point me in the right direction for some decent ref/ blueprints?

I will see what I can do, I downloaded all my reference images years ago. don't know if I have links to that stuff anymore. would be better if I zipped my reference folder and sent it to you. got a gmail account?
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member

Last time I saw him he was, but that was a few years back. He started a blog and was updating on there for a little while but then it all stopped.

Pluto station is still going. And going. And going.
    edited June 2019 #565
    mattc wrote: »
    Pluto station is still going. And going. And going.

I wonder how big it is now... but you have to admit it is awesome... maybe someone will want to use it in a film as green screen backdrop... that would be great to see.

This morning I was laying on the first set of uv images and I ran into the lift elevator for the Runabout. The outer hull is solid, there is no interiors to my DS9, but I do want to do an animation and I may need the lift elevators to be functional, which means there needs to be some sort of interior.
    a while back I downloaded a Runabout from Thomas Slanitz and thatnk goodness he built it somewhat to scale... I loaded it into my DS9 section and the universe made total sense.... things built to scale are beautiful below are the 2 images, followed by screen shots of the TV Runabout Hangar, the versions are so damn close it was almost like I knew what I was doing... So the question is do I build a low res cavity for the hangar or just have a small elevator shaft type deal seeing how you wont see the interior that much anyway. = save on poly's
    What do you think?

gyhigf17797c.jpg

ousrs83a2wgw.jpg

68dokmy3ezm9.jpg

57s49veadr9g.jpg

pzj08a9a0705.jpg

6ocwn833wgzv.jpg
    Post edited by gpdesigner on
    Lizzy777
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    I imagine you could get away with a low poly version for the interior. Unless you're planning on doing extensive interior shots that lead to the exterior?
    gpdesigner
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9708 Posts: 5,302Member
    I would do a boxed in int just large enough to give a sense of depth. Then use image software to straighten out those wall details in those images and use them as textures on the walls. Slide in some self ilum maps for the lit bits and maybe some lum/glow (forget what it is called in LW) elements to produce some ambient light inside.
    gpdesigner
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    I would go with what Dan said.
    As your not going to see much or get that close it would be the best way.
    I imagine you could get away with a low poly version for the interior. Unless you're planning on doing extensive interior shots that lead to the exterior?
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    I would do a boxed in int just large enough to give a sense of depth. Then use image software to straighten out those wall details in those images and use them as textures on the walls. Slide in some self ilum maps for the lit bits and maybe some lum/glow (forget what it is called in LW) elements to produce some ambient light inside.

Think I am going to go the image projection route, as I don't think I will go inside with a camera pass... I can't see myself doing any more serious modelling on this project anymore.
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    The hangar is a good idea, nice !
    gpdesigner
    Been working on my maps for the habitat Ring, but life seems to be keeping me from doing 3D.
    This is what I have been up to for the last 2 weeks, Home projects out the wazoo..

https://youtu.be/AWPp13BjhMY

https://youtu.be/ynbvdfASoLM
    Lizzy777