Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DPen and ink ships since I can't model

• BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    tumblr_ppu12qbiEs1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

I saw a few videos on yachts os I tried to take that design and see if I could make something. I had the idea of swapping out flight sticks for motorcycle handles to make something a bit unexpected... and potentially real fun for the high speed sequences. I'm kind of stealing from myself, the Seeker bridge I did way back in the day had a steering column that had bike-style handles for high speed and regular upright sticks for maneuvering.

And now... more Iron Star.
    (the Anubis is part of the Iron Star universe, but you know what I mean)

tumblr_ppu149waFd1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ppu149waFd1u9hwe3o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_ppu149waFd1u9hwe3o2_1280.jpg

A more public room in the Iron Star.
    Lizzy777
    More interiors. The doc spent a lot of time in this room called RIB, the Rules Infraction Board. It's like a little courthouse inside the prison. So I started toying with the interior, I was toying with the idea of the desk pointing at the accused...

tumblr_ppz4ebuA4j1u9hwe3o3_1280.jpg

And then I had an idea for the back wall, with built in shelves and everything...

tumblr_ppz4ebuA4j1u9hwe3o2_1280.jpg

But then I started playing around with that triangular shape and thought what if the whole room was like that? It would fit with the pointed aesthetic of the station, So I have two possibilities, one where the whole room is pointed towards the accused, or one that's dominated by the Justice Meter. It could also double as the mug shot room, now that I think about it.

tumblr_ppz4ebuA4j1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg
    More retro-futuristic terminals.

tumblr_pq1c44SM9h1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    edited April 2020 #545
    Introducing the

Ikeya Louchupa a modular detainment unit. Philips head screw driver and Hex key wrench included!

I was thinking about the whole process of constructing the interiors of the Iron Star and came up with a modular system for building them. This is a 6x8 version. Minus the lav, desk and chair. it can be constructed with 20 individual parts (the cell door is one unit and can be ordered in either the bar front or optional solid face w/ swing out security door)

I would like to develop an entire construction manual with your permission ( I would create a new thread so as not to clog-up this one)

0nbrp6ln0df9.jpg

ddb9b1gi69ya.jpg

xx11ohp5j4va.jpg
    Post edited by Starrigger on
    cavebear
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
    edited April 2019 #546
    Had another thought about Guard wardrobe:

The Guard Glove.

It would be a finger-less glove with a photo ID/Key card sewn into the back of it. It would lead to the "Guard Salute" which would consist of the Guard holding the back of his hand up next to his face so that the person being "Saluted" could easily compare the ID with the Guards face.

Since the glove would have a Key card embedded, when the guard reaches for a door handle the card would be read and the door unlocked...
    That's a cool idea! That's actually a really cool idea for the glove! It totally fits with the minimal and functional motif of the series, too.

And the modular cells look cool too! I can see the inmates having to construct them for use in other prisons, feeding into that self-perpetuating machinery that's the underlying current of the series.

If you go back to the Hades cell, there's that fold-out sink and toilet as well as the pillar with the mirror, light, outlets and so on... that would be perfect for this modular design.

You wanna make a construction thread? Go right ahead. Pop-up space prisons, it's not a bad idea.
    Your idea for a construction thread is also reminding me of the old Mr Scott's Guide To The Enterprise book that we all had as kids.

I've just wrapped up watching this National Geographic series called Hard Time b/c it was about to expire off Netflix, and these cells totally look like the ones in someplace like SMU, the jail within the jail. One of the prisons is more of a bunk bed hall situation, but they'd still need an SMU and these would work great there. They could be the ones used in the patrol ships too, I can see versions of these with half-mesh walls as well for Hades or other locales.
    Starrigger wrote: »
    Had another thought about Guard wardrobe:

The Guard Glove.

It would be a finger-less glove with a photo ID/Key card sewn into the back of it. It would lead to the "Guard Salute" which would consist of the Guard holding the back of his hand up next to his face so that the person being "Saluted" could easily compare the ID with the Guards face.

Since the glove would have a Key card embedded, when the guard reaches for a door handle the card would be read and the door unlocked...

They would also need to be wearing it for their weapon to operate. There would be a chip in the palm.
    That's a really cool idea too! Very smart. Was trying to figure what kind of weapons they had. Paintball guns are used a lot now, which looks a bit weird when you see it in action. I was thinking also maybe sonic wave throwers like the ones in Minority Report. There'd be guns, for sure, but I'm not quite sure what the SF element of them would be yet.
    edited April 2019 #551
    Kinda Like the paintball thing, probably a taser type of thing or maybe a fast acting drug absorbed through the skin.

Edit: or maybe a gas?...
    edited April 2019 #552
    It might still be a pellet... maybe some kind of beanbag thing where it hits with more of a slam than you expect. Fires like a paintball but feels like you're hit with a medicine ball.

Actually, the techno chewing gum gag I thought of for the pilot is making me think of maybe shock slime. When you hit something, it splats like a paintball and zaps.

See, I keep fluctuating between how futuristic and advanced this should be. It's the future, but it's a bit like the Futurama future, what I call the squared/cubed rule. Everything is bigger, not always better. Plus the Iron Star itself is old, underfunded, understaffed, so even the futuristic stuff they have isn't that advanced or works that well, so every advantage should have a disadvantage. Especially since we follow the inmates POV mostly and disadvantages make stories possible.

Post edited by BlueNeumann on
    Those pop-up cells would be great for H4D35, I'm trying to think of how to do the cellblock for that. Just a circle of those with the pod in the center, a few service shuts for food/commissary, public washroom, service elevator, and a gateway for the service bridge to connect. Conceivably they could just keep plugging in levels upon levels depending on deep the wells are.
    So this thread's been pretty active today! Well, here's what I've cooked up:

tumblr_pq4t2tBlNG1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

Two potential layouts for those pop-in-place pods made from the Ikea cells and units. Not quite sure how to lay out the bathroom in the center. I really should have balanced those gates, one side has gates leads to the lift, and directly opposite it would be the gates that lead to the (retractable) bridge leading to the exterior.

tumblr_pq4t415kyu1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

Idea for the layout/display in the RIB room, that triangular thing. I drew those two slim little displays so I thought we should know what's om there. Basically a polygraph, a live video, an automatic transcript, and... not quite sure what the fourth one is yet.
    Lizzy777
    Just saw this on Yanko Design, this looks so much like the seat/desk dealies I drew... though soft, not concrete.

Designer: Rudolph Schelling Webermann for Wilkhahn

wall_relief_landing_layout.jpg
    Some more drawings. I haven't shaded in a while, I quite like it.

tumblr_pq57aiy1Sh1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pq57aiy1Sh1u9hwe3o2_1280.jpg

Lizzy777cavebear
    Some more drawings. I haven't shaded in a while, I quite like it.

Love it! It brings the sketch to life. B)
    edited April 2019 #558
    The dismal life of intergalactic incarceration.

Although as a counterpoint, this song is in my playlist for the series:

To show there's still vibrant people and activity going on in there. Plus it sounds a bit like part of the soundtrack to The Fifth Element, which is always a plus.
    cavebear
    Played around with some control panel ideas for the Anubis, inspired by various yachts. Ironically, I don't think I'd want this interface on the space yachts I have designed. I'd want something a bit more unexpected.

tumblr_pq6xwoUGkS1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg
    Lizzy777
    edited April 2019 #560
    No new art at the moment, but here's some cool reference I found recently.

tumblr_pqcrpnzZnO1wmjsx1o1_1280.jpg

I can see this being the wall of the light well in the center of the Iron Star... and I love how little things like the stairwell are in relation.

tumblr_pqimzanLqo1wgsj27o1_640.jpg

tumblr_pqin2mTciZ1wgsj27o1_640.jpg

This is a pool, but you can kind of picture this being a cellblock. Though perhaps too wide in the center. Liking the idea of a weird mural at the back.

tumblr_pqinaaA9xh1wgsj27o1_640.jpg

Those balconies! Awesome shape, and you can actually see through them! I didn't even notice that the first time.

tumblr_pq4keaXVQ01u9hwe3o2_1280.jpg

Cailee Spaeny from Pacific Rim Uprising. I saw her and thought she'd be perfect for Page, one of the Iron Star characters.
    Lizzy777
    I can't believe it's been two weeks and I still have no new art.

I did see this thing just now, totally works as a fixture for the Iron Star cells.

twofold_table.jpg
    Lizzy777cavebear
    Finally something! This kind of observation thing for the interior of the IS. That arc could have computer controls or something in there.

tumblr_pr7e0eg3ys1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

I do wish I had rendered the cone better.
    Some old art.

tumblr_prbi9bDjY61u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

Maybe the best one of this batch, which isn't saying much. Something about these old ships are so hard for me to redraw, but I might try this one. experiment with how all the shapes merge into each other.

tumblr_prbi22D1901u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

A syringe ship. Feels like an old BBC studio model, but not in a bad way. Could be made out of parts.

tumblr_prbhv29B9I1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

This tanker dealie.

tumblr_prbhrsUi9o1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

This interesting motif I had been playing with, I can see them being spines and buildings for a space station. They kind of look like melting crystals or something, line-wise. I figure the texture might simply be traditional glass and steel, not sure yet.
    Lizzy777cavebear
    Playing around with some ideas for Spacedock.

tumblr_prhdo6vOL51u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg
    Lizzy777
    Toying with drive sections for a Starfleet style ship. Want to explore more of this shape, integrating more of the traditional functionality like shuttlebays into the curves.

tumblr_prmk4yjcP81u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg
    Playing around with this key officer's desk from a documentary I saw in one of the various prison documentaries I was watching for research, and decided to expand and play with it. Not really nuts about any of these, though. And they certainly don't match the Iron Star motif either.

tumblr_prski46WGU1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg
    Lizzy777
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    They feel more Nasa then prison to me, but I like them just the same. Nice work
    edited May 2019 #568
    No, I agree. Which is why I'm not digging them. Despite being in space, there isn't much of a NASA feel to the Iron Star.

I think that circular viewing post I did is far better for the key officer's desk. Though I don't know if it would be practical to build that as part of the set.
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    Depending on the rest of the design of the pod, it would be pretty easy to integrate a viewing post like that, you would have to scale it down though as from the concept it looks like it sits rather high up.
    If you'll excuse a bit of facelaiming since I don't have any new art atm...

Season Five of The Flash dropped on Netflix... I was thinking of JPK as the lead for Iron Star, but I'd forgotten how adorbs she is. Doesn't actually change much, though, it still works for the main character of Keeley.

IMG_20180722_020821.jpg

And I already mentioned Cailee Spaeny as Page a few posts earlier.

If I could figure out the right person for D, that's the basic trifecta right there. I have ideas for other minor characters, plenty from Canada which suits me fine since that's probably where the series would be made. Wanna tap into that SF infrastructure they got there. And there are some faces I'd love to put in that I'm not sure what I'd do with yet.
    edited June 2019 #571
    I haven't done much art lately, which I'm sorry for, I've been trying.

Here's another set of inspiration screencaps, this time from a prison episode of the show Mutant X (Rodney McKay was the villain in the episode, which was a very welcome surprise).

tumblr_pseqw5FI271u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

Obviously, this gave me ideas for the farm level of the Iron Star. It didn't occur to me that they would still have horses, which just alone would be interesting because horses on a space ship is always a funky juxtaposition.

the_girl_in_the_fireplace_230.jpg

I'm also digging the way the natural light goes into the rooms, I was thinking there could be light wells on the ceilings for that top level/underground hallways right beneath the farm.

That torture shot gave me an idea for what I want to do for the taser weapon, it's a telescoping rod so that they can be used either like a jab (like a shiv or a hypospray that shocks you) or like a cattle prod. It's an offensive weapon to compliment the "soft' air gun weapon, which is used to knock people back or send pressurized bursts of air.

I'm not sure if the mounted officers still have shotguns or something else.

The torture shot is also making me think if they have a whipping post on the farm or some kind of futuristic variant. I figure there's no hot box because you're there to work. Also has me imagining a room like that on the same level as the solitary cells for the regular inmates. H4D35 would have a room like that as well (maybe the same set redressed), seems to fit the masked guard hard labour feel of that world.

As for the uniforms for the farm, digging the denim, definitely thinking barcodes stamped on everything, the tank top, the vest, one of the trouser legs... not sure if they have something different as well, in terms of livery/names/codes... or if anything there should be future-y, different fabric or pattern or something. Maybe they're on the chain gang as well, maybe there's something on their arm... not sure how I'm going to play with it all yet.

The bathroom, you can't see it but there are a few tiny shelves on the wall, kinda like the one I posted earlier. I"m getting the idea of a grid of sunk-in squares as shelves there, that could work. Did some not very good sketches, debating if it's just a few squares, the whole wall pattern, what's behind it...

And that shot of the hallway, I'm seeing all this cabling and so on. So while the Iron Star is brutalist, I can see extra stuff bolted on. Easier access for the inmates to screw with something.