Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Those chairs came out great, Rekkert!
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    edited April 2019 #1953
    @Viper: I don't want to overdo the AO effect, particularly for hard surfaces. Some 3D renders end up looking way too unrealistic because of their AO overshadowing everything, light doesn't work that way. I'd much rather have Cycles' realistic ray tracing take care of that. For the chairs there it kinda works as a cheat, but I'd rather use it as little as possible. :)

As for the chair bases, the problem there is that they were using the beige TNG material, which is extremely rough and thus leads to uninteresting results in such cases. I've now swapped that over to use the same material I'm using for the viewscreen wall, which is a bit more reflective and darker.

@BolianAdmiral: Thanks! :)

I've finished the remaining LCARS, including the little chair screens:

tadeo-d-oria-c1-34.jpg?1555210706
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-35.jpg?1555210706
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    Arvis1804Lizzy777
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • JMP11JMP1151 Posts: 130Member
    Has it been discussed to have the "bend" in the horseshoe to occur closer to the seat cushions to offer them some support?
  • ViperViper1678 Posts: 717Administrator
    Rekkert wrote: »
    @Viper: I don't want to overdo the AO effect, particularly for hard surfaces. Some 3D renders end up looking way too unrealistic because of their AO overshadowing everything, light doesn't work that way. I'd much rather have Cycles' realistic ray tracing take care of that. For the chairs there it kinda works as a cheat, but I'd rather use it as little as possible. :)

As for the chair bases, the problem there is that they were using the beige TNG material, which is extremely rough and thus leads to uninteresting results in such cases. I've now swapped that over to use the same material I'm using for the viewscreen wall, which is a bit more reflective and darker.

Yeah, that makes sense. I try to use it as little as possible as well, but I didn't know if the material for the base was set in stone yet. The new one looks much better!

Those LCARS are beautiful!
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Boy I wish I had an idea for a bridge.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Boy I wish I had the technical understanding (and time) to make my ideas into actual visualisations like that....
    @JMP11: Not really, they're floating near it, kinda like in Generations. :)

Here's are the finished renders! I've tweaked the tactical console slightly, changing the black line across somewhat and adding a red label on the front.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1555355508
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-02.jpg?1555355503
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-03.jpg?1555355507
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-04.jpg?1555355510
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-frontier-bridge-cutaway.jpg?1555355514

Arvis1804Lizzy777rojren
    Those are all stunningly beautiful! Thank you so much again, Rekkert! As always, you knocked it out of the park! Seeing these final renders on my birthday is a great present! :D
    Rekkert
    I wanted to have a break from the TNG era as a whole to avoid more burnout, so a commission with just what I needed appeared last week:

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1555468371
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-02.jpg?1555468375

Veeery early days, but this is the beginning of the bridge for the USS Avenger, @Arvis1804's modified Crossfield-Class starship.

Nothing of this bridge will be a direct reproduction of the Disco bridge, but logically the aesthetics and features will be heavily based on it. Layout will essentially be identical, except for the wall directly behind the Captain, which will contain an MSD style graphic on this bridge. The consoles won't have physical buttons though, just screens.
    Lizzy777Arvis1804ashleytingerslybrarian
    This will be interesting!
  • Arvis1804Arvis18047 Posts: 16Member
    That is definitely coming along quite nicely! :smile:
  • mdtamdta390 Posts: 95Member
    edited April 2019 #1964
    I love the large and impressive Tactical panel on the Frontier bridge.

Alt-Crossfield will be interesting to see. You have the Discovery, Shenzhou, Section 31 ship, and Enterprise bridges you can draw reference and inspiration from. Guessing it will be a ship without a Spore Drive.

What I would to see is the Discovery or Discovery Enterprise bridge, with carpets, less shiny surfaces, and some more TNG/TOS Movie lighting.
    Post edited by mdta on
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    The idea of marrying the Discovery style with some of the aesthetic traditions of old school Trek could be quite interesting. What would it look like with carpet? With proper LCARS and so on.

Though you are doing this project to get the heck away from all that.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    Nice! Looks like you beat me to a Disco bridge! ;)
    To be honest I prefer the shiny floors to the carpets. Both look "futuristic" in the sense that they aren't practical for today's navy ships (the closets analogue we have to Trek), but the carpets IMO help with the "luxury liner" feeling some TNG designs have, while the shiny floors look futuristic while still retaining the "funcionality first" look of the TMP era metal floors.

I've added a ton more lights to try and make the bridge more clear to read, the lighting levels will certainly be higher once everything's done.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-03.jpg?1555620278
    ashleytingerLizzy777
  • Arvis1804Arvis18047 Posts: 16Member
    edited April 2019 #1968
    Lights are really helping to make it pop!

I agree that carpet makes it feel much more "luxury liner" than truly functional in many ways. I'd say I also prefer the bare metal, and perhaps the rubberized flooring of the Movie Era over the soft, carpeted look of TNG onward. Plus this ship would have been built right on the heels of the Federation/Klingon War, so their design aesthetic would still have been very functional as opposed to being designed for comfort.
    Post edited by Arvis1804 on
    edited April 2019 #1969
    Sigh... Just so you guys and gals don't think I'm organized...

A user on another forum made a comment about adding a "pool table" to the Frontier bridge, and I couldn't get it out of my head, so I started thinking and working on a Voyager-inspired Akira-Class bridge. Once I had everything in place I didn't like it, so I kept the modifications I had done to the front of the bridge, and pretty much cut the aft section of the bridge off (including the pool table that started the whole thing). This resulted in a much smaller bridge (similar in size to the original Odyssey), thus I'm making this a Steamrunner-Class bridge, specifically for the USS Appalachia we saw during First Contact.

Still some work to be done on the materials and LCARS, and as you can see I'm bringing several elements over from the Odyssey.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-02.jpg?1555721832
    MadKoiFishLizzy777
    Where is the pool table, lol.
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918266 Posts: 451Member
    Rekkert, I sent you a redress reqeust since this bridge redress is almost EXACLTY what I had in mind for a Prometheus-class starship, the USS Indefatigable.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9708 Posts: 5,302Member
    edited April 2019 #1972
    Rekkert wrote: »
    To be honest I prefer the shiny floors to the carpets. Both look "futuristic" in the sense that they aren't practical for today's navy ships (the closets analogue we have to Trek), but the carpets IMO help with the "luxury liner" feeling some TNG designs have, while the shiny floors look futuristic while still retaining the "funcionality first" look of the TMP era metal floors.

I've added a ton more lights to try and make the bridge more clear to read, the lighting levels will certainly be higher once everything's done.

Issue with glossy/smooth floors is slip potential. Most of TMP they used hard grip surfaces and TNG relied on carpeted like surfaces so if lube water or other things get on it you still have grip as the ship shakes about all the JJ era stuff and STD stuff means people are slipping all over as bits of ship or liquids get on it and they end up on their arses before the wall goes and they complete the trope.

advantage as a set the pyro doesn't burn the carpet or melt the peel and stick diamond plate.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    @BolianAdmiral: I threw the pool table away along with the rest of the aft section. :lol:

@Rusty0918: Interesting! The size and layout would certainly fit in for a Prometheus-Class. :)

@MadKoiFish: A very good point, though I would imagine that it's some sort of futuristic glossy but non-slippery material, maybe even alien in origin.

I've tweaked the LCARS a bit more and shuffled the materials around to better reproduce the Voyager aesthetics. As ever I'm also taking the chance to experiment with some new things, such as using procedural textures for some of the metallic details around the bridge.

I'm quite happy with how it's looking now, it was too plain boring white before. I think I'm ready to call this one pretty much done. :)

tadeo-d-oria-c1-02.jpg?1555750454
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1555750458
    JMP11Lizzy777
  • JMP11JMP1151 Posts: 130Member
    Perfect bridge for a Steamrunner-Class! I am curious to see it with a more Voyager style of command seating with the chairs built into the horseshoe area.
    edited October 2020 #1975
    @JMP11: I originally tried something like that, and it certainly could work, but I liked how the TNG style command console looked in the middle more. :)

I made some very minor tweaks, here's the finished bridge!

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1602417907
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1602417848
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1602417856
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1602417864
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1602417873
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-appalachia-bridge-cutaway.jpg?1602417882
    Lizzy777
  • gpdesignergpdesigner203 MontrealPosts: 323Member
    Wow, you do someexcellent work my friend.. can't wait to see the Disco bridge come in...
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Yes, it´s a very nice mesh :)
    @gpdesigner: Thank you very much! :)

@trekki: Thanks!

After updating to Ubuntu 19.04, I'm back to the Avenger bridge. I've added lighting right above the viewscreen, which due to the reflective floor helps quite a bit with the overall illumination of the bridge.

I've also started work on the door alcoves. This is a point where the Avenger will be quite different from Disco, as on the latter ship the aft and front alcoves are completely different from one another. Here they will all be identical.

I've started adding paneling on the walls and columns as well. Keep in mind, the colors and materials being use are highly temporary at this stage, I'm mostly focusing on the modeling and lighting right now; I'll tweak the materials later.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-05.jpg?1556073112
    Lizzy777Arvis1804ashleytinger
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    You know, i always felt the Odyssey bridge we saw in DS9 was more like an updated Battle Bridge than the Odyssey's main bridge.

Not too sure the horseshoe is technically appropriate for the SteamRunner/Akira era, i think that's more the grey flexed Voyagerish consoles. But you make it work somehow :)
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    edited April 2019 #1980
    @count23: We actually discussed that point when doing the original Odyssey bridge. IMO it's the main bridge, not only is it closer to the Ent-D bridge than to the battle bridge in size, but it also has the same number of stations that the main bridge has. Plus it's the same module that we saw being used on the Nebula-Class, so it makes sense for a more utilitarian Galaxy-Class. :)

I've added a ton more paneling on the walls, plus several other details all around. The biggest update however is on the helm consoles, as I've collapsed them and started working on their details. These include two status indicators near the Captain's chair.

tadeo-d-oria-c2-03.jpg?1556142144
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    If you just upgraded your Ubuntu, what software are you using for modeling and rendering? Great work by the way.