Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DConstitution Class Refit

• ViperViper1678 Posts: 717Administrator
    Nevets wrote: »
    STUNNING...

Perhaps a yellow version could a testbed vessel.

Thanks :) Well, that's what the NX designation is for. Not sure if they would go to the trouble of painting it yellow though :tongue:

Aztec on the underside of the saucer is done. I'll handle the details later. I want to get through all the aztec panels first.

constitution168.jpg

Lizzy777
    Progress is steady. Finished navigation dome and deflectors. Engineering up next.

constitution171.jpg
    constitution174.jpg
    constitution173.jpg
    MadKoiFishLizzy777ashleytingerRekkertStarrigger
    edited April 2019 #64
    More:
    constitution175.jpg
    constitution176.jpg

Here's where things stand:
    constitution177.jpg
    Post edited by Viper on
    ashleytingerStarriggerLizzy777rojrenwibble
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    Wow! What you have there sir, Is a thing of Beauty!
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
  • John MarchantJohn Marchant336 Posts: 96Member
    Really like the Aztec and the spec looks really nice.
    Well, I finished texturing the last couple of parts:
    constitution178.jpg
    constitution179.jpg

Now I have to tie a few loose ends. Decals for the various text as well as a couple of pieces that I think I need to redo. The overall textures might need some tweaking still, but I'm very happy with what I have so far. Couple of full body shots:

constitution180.jpg
    constitution181.jpg
    RekkertMadKoiFishashleytingerLizzy777Starriggerwibble
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Very slick
    Viper
    Got through most of the decals tonight. Also tweaked the materials a bit. While the strong reflections are nice, they were bothering me a bit, so I increased the roughness of the material a bit to compensate. Should still look metallic under the right conditions:

constitution183.jpg
    constitution184.jpg
    constitution185.jpg
    ashleytingerStarriggerLizzy777wibble
    Are the decals stenciled or just textures. Looks great.
    Are the decals stenciled or just textures. Looks great.

Originally I was going to to texture them in the base texture itself. But I found pretty quickly that I'd either have to deal with low resolution in a few places or create some huge textures for the ship. Stenciling them in would be the natural solution, but that would go against my goal of having this be a generic Constitution Class model. So I decided to use decals for all the text. It provides me with enough resolution to get close and I can quickly change the name of the ship by just changing the PSD file and exporting new PNG files.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    My friends... we've come home.
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Wonderfull work all around Diogo!
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Yes that's it!
  • NevetsNevets201 EarthPosts: 134Member
    REF: Yellow

Just a thought... Yellow is the natural colour of the material they use during construction. They then paint it to the version we've come to love.
    Thanks all for the compliments :) I had to take a break from this for a couple of days, just to get some fresh eyes on it. I did have some progress today, but it was mostly just tidying the file up, collapsing a few parts into a single mesh and so on. I'm working on a nice docking port to attach to the bridge, neck and engineering, will post something in a little bit.
    Took me more time than I thought. It's tricky to get all the dimensions right. I'll do a better closeup once I finish the details on the docking ports:

constitution188.jpg
    constitution187.jpg
    constitution189.jpg
    constitution190.jpg
    ashleytingerLizzy777wibble
    I still have things to finish on the exterior, but couldn't resist trying a beauty shot. I'm hoping to do something better than what we saw in the movies. Never thought they did her justice:

space01.jpg
    RekkertLizzy777MadKoiFishrojrenwibble
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    Stunning.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    The subtleties of the aztecing and panel/grid lines on that lower saucer are simply perfect. All in all this is such a beautiful model!
  • MichaelDBeckwithMichaelDBeckwith1 Posts: 1Member
    Viper I love what you have done. Roughly from the beginning to this point how long did it take you?
    The subtleties of the aztecing and panel/grid lines on that lower saucer are simply perfect. All in all this is such a beautiful model!

And to think some folks suggested not having those at all :tongue: I might still give that a shot, but I think it's very important to the look of the ship. And thank you!
    Viper I love what you have done. Roughly from the beginning to this point how long did it take you?

First, welcome ;) My first wip shot is from the 16th of February. So I'm coming up on two months. That said, I didn't work every day. I took some breaks from modelling, and I have some concurrent projects that I work from time to time to give my mind a reset on the project. But it's definitely near the 100 hour mark I think.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    I think some of the ships from the old Klingon Academy computer game deserve the love you have shown here. Any thought to refit-era ships of your own design?
    edited April 2019 #84
    publiusr wrote: »
    I think some of the ships from the old Klingon Academy computer game deserve the love you have shown here. Any thought to refit-era ships of your own design?

Actually, I have two designs in progress right now. Here's a quick preview:
    qwycjzlcm0ib.jpg

The Akira type is much more refined. The one on the left is supposed to be a cargo/supply ship for war time. That's why I'm using the Refit saucer instead of something else as it needs to have weapons. Open to other design ideas. I feel like the TMP era has been explored very little and most of the designs are just weird variations of the Connie or Excelsior.

I've been posting these on the Discord chat, but if there's interest in seeing these progress I can create a thread here as well :)
    Post edited by Viper on
    Lizzy777ashleytingerRekkertwibble
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    I really like the cargo ship. The Akira is a cool concept but I'd tweak the catamarans to make them less identical to the TNG version.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Rekkert wrote: »
    I really like the cargo ship. The Akira is a cool concept but I'd tweak the catamarans to make them less identical to the TNG version.

If you have any suggestions that are more specific, I'd love to hear it. I tried a lot of variations on that, even doing them from the bottom of the saucer as well. None of it really worked. Then a couple of days ago I just put in the Akira catamaran and it looked instantly better. Here's a couple more images of her:

tmp_akira46.jpg
    tmp_akira48.jpg
    Lizzy777ashleytinger
    She looks great Viper.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    Viper wrote: »
    Rekkert wrote: »

If you have any suggestions that are more specific, I'd love to hear it. I tried a lot of variations on that, even doing them from the bottom of the saucer as well. None of it really worked. Then a couple of days ago I just put in the Akira catamaran and it looked instantly better. Here's a couple more images of her:

tmp_akira46.jpg
    tmp_akira48.jpg

That does look great. Maybe some supports to the rear on the saucer or on the underside of the saucer to balance it out? It looks great either wat.
    That does look great. Maybe some supports to the rear on the saucer or on the underside of the saucer to balance it out? It looks great either wat.

Thanks. I'll see if it makes sense to add any other pieces. The underside still needs work. And I had some ideas for the catamarans to make the shape a bit less organic. Next time I update, I'll create a separate thread. Don't want to mix this with the Constitution further.
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Beautiful work Viper!
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    One idea could be to raise the whole bridge superstructure somewhat between the two catamarans, kinda like what Paul Frenczli did with his redesigned NX-01.
    Lowering the catamarans position could also help in making it look more inspired by the Akira than as a simple kitbash.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio