Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• ViperViper1678 Posts: 717Administrator
    I like the changes. Made the ship look a bit less aggressive. Funny how changing just position of things can have such an effect :)
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9712 Posts: 5,302Member
    yeah it kept feeling too awkward as a object in the viewport. I did not like the length of it vs what was there for bits. I think the "IT WORKS" part of the original is because of those wide flat nacelles.
    Hardest thing atm Is finding places for stuff. The original has these ultra tiny impulse drives right under docking bays that I doubt would fit a shuttle as seen in the show.

mydC4Gu.jpg
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Yeah, those impulse engines are terrible. How close do you want to be to the original?
    Dunno this is another one I figured I would wing it without any drawn work. EG 3d doodling. I want to retain the look as it being recognizable and not to make any large changes like impulse lumps on the saucer etc. Likely I will annex the aft bays as this ship has whats looks like 2 large doors on the forward saucer. I have already decided to redo most of the weapons emplacements except those that reflect the marklin such as the forward torps.

yeager-016.jpg

I dunno if I want to aim towards a heavier TOS look or go more towards some of my own ideas for TOS.

miranda-tos-594.jpg

wedge-trek-308.jpg

rex2connie-160a.jpg
    rex2connie-217.jpg
    Lizzy777StarriggerJES
    Some more small changes some of which will likely get undone as I dislike how the single hull but across the bottom just looks to plain and weird in viewport. I will likely restore the old part or do something similar to what is there now but make it as separate hull parts or something. I also obliterated the aft hull and am looking at how a new layout for the impulse drives work. Not full sold as the internal components would be super tight with impulse bits, the warp plasma crap and a aft shuttle bay. Also what I thought was a done deal on the materials is rearing ugly in the aft view.

yeager-017.jpg

yeager-018.jpg

And yeah those intercooler brackets are spinning all over the place.
    Lizzy777JES
    I don't know why, but I tend to not like the Miranda class that much. Funnily enough, I think the design works much better as a TOS ship. Yours is very nice :)

Anyway, I was going to suggest either impulse engines on the sides of that area of the hull, or combining both bay doors into one in the center and using the leftover space to add the engines in. But that'll depend on how much you want to follow the original. Another possibility is just adding the impulse engines below the bays in a separate structure.
    yeah, I think I will likely leave them flanking. It is a issue of heights to get a bay in there and not fink on mechanical internals etc. ATM the bay is the one thing that can sacrifice in my opinion. If there are 2 large forward doors and what appears as 2 large openings on the port and starboard sides of the saucer there is no real need for aft doors.

New central hull I think I need to work on it a bit more to pinch the deflector area to produce a defined crease from the forward corner.

yeager-020.jpg

yeager-021.jpg

yeager-022.jpg
    Lizzy777JES
    edited April 2019 #849
    Weapons in some more refinement on the central hull some other details and fooling around with the aft cargo bay. Aft torps are likely to move from the bottom of the hull. The original model has loads of small square holes all over that look like torps but as we never really see any emplacements on these ships as phasers look to be about only 2ft in dai on them. That or window scale is way off and the original is scaled to more like 1200m. You can see how my phasers appear on a 1200ft long model vs the studio model. I also added 2 pair aft as the rearward units on the saucer are pretty useless for anything towards the rear. Lower nipples I had to push inward a lot to clear the saucer and improve the lateral coverage. IE area centered around the saucer.

yeager-023.jpg

yeager-024.jpg
    Alt arrangement for the impulse. Likely the one I will go with as it is so much cleaner than anything else. Joke is this is what the original had. . . . . Granted I do now have much more hull back here now to work with.
    yeager-025.jpg
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    Lizzy777JES
    Yeah, I think that last one works well enough. I'm thinking you'll cut the gap at the front of the saucer for the bridge and deflector? It looks odd with that small space between the bridge and the saucer right now.
    edited April 2019 #851
    Yup once I am done messing with the profile of the saucer Ill collapse it and cut the holes in. The studio model looks like they cut the holes into it as a low poly subdiv as the saucer is all oblong. I kept thinking things didn't match up early on to overlay a circle onto it and see it is all over. Guess it does not matter when it is onscreen for 1 to 3 seconds.

however I am not fully sold on my work on the topside. It might stay it might get altered. I do know my going with the round hull has lost me the chance to do what the original had that I sort of liked. Which was the odd hull angles just aft of the saucer leading to the struts. This results in a different look to the central hull from top to bottom. Adds complexity.

Fore those not using max I do this to avoid the pinched chamfering (rounder in LW) effect that happens to edges not at an exact 90deg in X,Y,and Z to the chamfered edge.
    Hmmm...you sure it's not circular? It seems to me that illusion is caused by the angle on the secondary hull shape that is at an angle. Here's the eaglemoss miniature:
    buran7.jpg

Also not sure I understand the pinched problem. I use max, don't remember seeing that.
    edited April 2019 #853
    I think intent is to be round but as they likely altered a subdiv object with the cuts in the saucer it is no longer a perfect circular shape. It is slightly elongated and flattens a bit near the front. It is subtle in the low rez images but it is there.

dis-cardenas-top.jpg

Small changes here and there and a idea for the shuttle bay. I am thinking the frames would jut out more or do something not to be flat and the doors themselves would be a roll top that curves down from the top of the bay. Just so it is not a flat door. I had considered doing a roll door or partition door on the curved surface of that rounded end but was not so sure I liked that. Also enlarged the impulse drives some more. I think I am at my limits for space. I have enough bulk above the bay doors to feel comfortable and the bays themselves have a good 6ft or more above the shuttles, or my reimagined shuttle. which I think is quite a bit taller than a TOS one and likely much larger than the STD ones.

yeager-027.jpg

Also being lazy and stuffed the old nacelle guts from the Wedge into the domes. Which I think I stole out of my Daedalus? shrug

yeager-028.jpg

yeager-029.jpg

And yeah adding in those wings means my aft phaser nipples are hemmed in so I need to relocate those to a less confined space. The fins will be made into heatsinks.
    Lizzy777ViperashleytingerJES
    The start of chopping things up. Somewhere I lost track of the vertical alignment of things so lots of oops gotta realign this crap work. Sigh so I lost the nice taper to the deflector housing etc.

yeager-032.jpg

yeager-033.jpg

yeager-034.jpg
    Lizzy777JES
    Saucer cut out.
    yeager-035.jpg

yeager-036.jpg

Well dookie.
    Eaglemoss%2BStar%2BTrek%2BDiscovery%2BThe%2BOfficial%2BStarships%2BCollection%2B%25237%2BUSS%2BBuran%2BCardenas%2Bclass%2Bmodel.jpg
    Guess that explains the strange struts doing odd things in various views. Question WTFH is the opening between those decks for? No way in hell are those upper struts structurally sound floating out there in a long pillar. Oh boy. Anyhow need to think about how to deal with this in my model. Some elements are different in location and spacing not to mention the changes in the "width" of stuff as the amount of taper on the upper section is far larger than I had though via the other views.
    JES
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Incredible work!
    The Buran's by far my favorite of the "Battle at the Binaries" ships, but it's sadly clear that not much attention was paid to how logically sound the designs were by whoever translated Eaves' concepts into CGI.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    Are we sure that the model doesn't just have that odd space there for construction purposes and the CGI model would have had something better?

Wouldn't be the first time they've cut corners or parts off a ship to make it easier to assemble rather than be accurate.
    The gap between the lower impulse slit things and the "shuttlebays" I think is a manufacturing error. However the photo is suppose to be a shot from a con display. Something I would think they would want to avoid. The struts though are clearly made in that vertical unconnected style on the cgi model. If you look at the photo then compare to the orthos out there you can see hoe there is that gap with the struts and the upper hull. As for that gap I dunno the cgi aft shots are either all blurry or so over filtered and distorted (screen caps) it is hard to tell what is going on back there. Some caps even show those shuttle bays glowing yellow.

I pretty much am going to ignore that floaty upper hull and impulse deck, though I think I will alter my other details to match up like the radiator fins etc. Then again I am also considering rethinking the model as a whole.
    As much as I wanted to use a round deflector It just makes no sense with all the dead space. I had planned on using smaller details or other comms things around it but to get the lower hull where the bridge superstructure to the right shape the round deflector was just too small.

yeager-037.jpg

yeager-038.jpg

yeager-039.jpg
    ViperLizzy777ashleytingerJES
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    I Think some of the PLANET OF THE TITANS designs also had a leading edge bridge.

Nice work!
    Slow progress today for some reason. shrug.

yeager-043.jpg

yeager-044.jpg

yeager-046.jpg

yeager-047.jpg
    ashleytingerLizzy777JMP11JES
    Mostly messing with the deflector and messing with alignments etc.

yeager-053.jpg

yeager-054.jpg
    Lizzy777ViperJES
    Starting to look really nice now. I love that bridge. The Cardenas is indeed one of the best designs out of discovery. I might give it a try in a TMP era later.
    Yeah, I think this with refit like nacelles and excelsior like details elsewhere might look better than a TOS take. ATM I am thinking of even hinting at some altered ENT details. I think this is what Eaves was attempting in the concept art.
    Pushing bits of this and that about. Need to figure out what is in this scene file that is causing this blotchy shadow crud.

yeager-057.jpg

yeager-058.jpg
    Lizzy777JES
    more adjustments. I have decided to follow the cgi images over the model photos as I have noticed more and more changes made to that "toy" even though they supposedly used the cgi model as a base to make the molds from. Largest area changed is that aft hump near the upper fins. In the cgi model it is all square to the hull and the model it tapers and rises oddly. In some ways I like what they did on the model vs the CGI ship but it would serve no purpose on my model as I am not sticking a small impulse exhaust above the shuttle bay. Anyhow this whole area I have re jiggered all the bits around to better match the original. The vent/radiator thing needs to be pushed about some still to rescale it. Still hate that I am having to pull detail out of something only a few pixels wide or less. So likely some things will be off or wrong.

yeager-059.jpg

yeager-060.jpg

yeager-061.jpg
    Lizzy777JES
    Just as I posted the last update I found this at Thingverse but most of the page is broken images and the link. Likely loads of blocked content. Heh spent a hour looking for where this object came from and no dice so uncredited possible game mesh. . . . . (shows up in google as a OBJ file lacking textures and well imports like poop in max but did so without materials into bforartists allowing me to FBX it out. I think it is a STO mesh as I just cannot figure out where it is from. ANYHOW, just gonna use it real quick to show size and shape differences. I scaled it to the 441m listed on the eaglemoss data sheet. Window scale though says more like 600+ meters but Ill go with the given size. Some of the proportions on the whatever model look a lot better than what I have so I dunno. PFFFT.

yeager-062.jpg

yeager-063.jpg
    Lizzy777RekkertJES
    I like yours better :tongue: That model doesn't look like it is from the game though. The ones I have here are quite a bit less detailed. Though, I don't have any of the new ones.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    edited April 2019 #869
    I also prefer your version, but it's really cool to see them side by side all the same.

I'm pretty sure that is the STO model, it has the same modeled details and saucer segments. They've been increasing the accuracy of their in-game ships quite significantly as of late, given that Donny Versiga is now working on ships rather than interiors there.
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    edited April 2019 #870
    Yeah the thing is only 31k polies and that is a mess of triangled faces due to the flavor of defective OBJ the file was in then going to fbx through blender (bforartist) as that lacks all sorts of extras that avoid making a 3sided mess of the models. So, it would be much lower as a game asset maybe 20k or even 18k. What made me suspect game were all the odd detached faces and unibody modeling. Anyhow some of the details I can decern in the model give me ideas on what to do with things like the nacelles. Or at least try out.

Anyhow it is small things like the heights of the forward decks and those shoulder pad things around the bridge align up nicely to give clearance past the struts and so on.

I can tell my model is a eyeball off low rez images. Missed a lot of small details I should have caught. I know a lot of features wont translate well due to the scale and changes to style such as a rounded hull vs a segmented multi part hull.

Deciding what I want on the bottom and how it will appear. I am thinking maybe I should eliminate a lot of this plating and suggest it through panels and grids instead. Also adjusted the deflector forward a bit and prepping that part of the hull for collapsing so I can start chopping it up and integrate bits on the rear end around the shuttle bays. One image I pointed a spotlight onto the shuttle bays so it is not a black blob.

yeager-065.jpg

yeager-066.jpg

yeager-067.jpg
    JES