Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    I like the horseshoe idea, though it's sadly a little lost against the red carpet as it stands. Have you thought of using a darker wood to complement those colors?
  • JMP11JMP1151 Posts: 130Member
    I'm jealous that I didn't think of that for the Challenger's horseshoe. =)
    I like the Voyager style doors. One thing I loved about the DS9/Voyager era was the sharing of sets. Mostly DS9 borrowing from Voyager, but it was nice to see consistency throughout the fleet. The DS9 episode "Waltz" comes to mind where they use Defiant and Voyager sets for the USS Honshu.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    I loved that too!

Best example might be Star Trek Borg, where they used the quarters from TNG, an access corridor from First Contact, hallways from Voyager, and the Excelsior bridge.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    @Starscream: As I mentioned before, the all red carpet was temporary while I finished the floor. Now that I have, the horseshoe is a lot more noticeable. :)

@JMP11: Hahaha, to tell you the truth I also kicked myself for not doing it sooner when I came up with the idea. :pensive:

@BlueNeumann: Borg will forever be canon in my mind just because of so many reuses. No matter the fact that the story is completely silly.

I've kept working on the horseshoe, modifying the top facing wood faces so that they curve in a more pronounced way than the bottom faces. This means that the thickness is the same as on the TNG horseshoe at ground level, but at the top, it's twice as much. I've also added a new tactical station on top of it, heavily inspired by the Nemesis Enterprise-E station. (This last bit was one of Bolian's first requests for the bridge, ironically followed by Starcream suggesting the same thing lol)

I've also worked on the aft alcove, making the MSD screen and the doors larger. The doors are now identical to the forward ones, but they'll actually be removed on the final bridge, replaced by just a frame. I just haven't gotten around to modeling the corridors that go behind them yet, so having doors look better than having holes. :p

I've also modified the aft ceiling, opening up the alcove a bit and making it feel a little less claustrophobic, while adding more light.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-16.jpg?1553810197
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-17.jpg?1553810201
    Lizzy777
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Man, that's PRETTY!
    edited March 2019 #1897
    @Rekkert AHA! I thought maybe you'd modded as much as you were going to of the carpet at that point. This looks much better now, and I love the little wooden skirting you've added underneath! The wooden beams likewise look a bit more noticeable now, too.

The only things I'm noting right this second are:
    Guest seats: The ribbing on the handrests seems a bit out of place. Maybe try a smoother version?
    Command seats: Compared to the other seating, the outer backrests of these seats seem a bit flat/thin - could maybe do with padding out a bit? I'd recommend metal armrests+pedestals to match the other seats (and First Contact/+ pedestals) too, plus it'd make the seating "pop". :)
    Aft sconces: Might be an idea to go for something like one of the newer Ent-E types, rather than the ubiquitous, century-old Excelsior version:
    r3z8r36lemvb.jpg

Again, I love that new horseshoe. It truly looks and feels like a what a legitimate "Mark II" horseshoe could have looked like for the post-Voyager era :+1:

ETA: The Defiant/Odyssey panels are a nice touch, too :sunglasses:
    Post edited by Starscream on
    It’s funny how illumination can much such a difference. Personally, I’m not a fan of the Nemesis tactical lip. I always asked myself, why not just expand it across the length of the station rather than having the center part stick out?
    Because:
    1) In terms of the console aesthetic, the lip continued the existing central trapezoid-shaped interface panel forward.
    2) In real life they needed to expand it to fit the relatively bulky flatscreen displays they added to them for Nemesis :lol:
    Starscream wrote: »
    Because:
    1) In terms of the console aesthetic, the lip continued the existing central trapezoid-shaped interface panel forward.
    2) In real life they needed to expand it to fit the relatively bulky flatscreen displays they added to them for Nemesis :lol:
    Well, right, but why not have a larger station rather than just having part of it stick out?
    edited March 2019 #1901
    Most likely because of the realities of film production: - time and money would've precluded building new ones outright, especially when they wasted so much on Picard's ridiculous excuse for a Post-Midlife Crisis scene.

ETA: Frankly we should be grateful they made any changes to the bridge at all. It looks somewhat improved over the prior two outings IMO.
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918266 Posts: 451Member
    I wonder when I can request a variation of this Frontier bridge. It would be for a different class of Starfeet vessel, one that I think would fit the angular design of this bridge.

Also, Rekkert, remember that Dobrovolsky bridge I requested? Here's the story that features the ill-fated ship for all to read: https://www.deviantart.com/rusty0918/art/Oizys-791618647

• BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Rusty0918 wrote: »
    I wonder when I can request a variation of this Frontier bridge. It would be for a different class of Starfeet vessel, one that I think would fit the angular design of this bridge.

Also, Rekkert, remember that Dobrovolsky bridge I requested? Here's the story that features the ill-fated ship for all to read: https://www.deviantart.com/rusty0918/art/Oizys-791618647

Why not just design your own? All this is is basically the Odyssey bridge elongated, with 1701-E style side stations.

A few things on this bridge are going to change. Since Rekkert added those new aft ceiling lights, I’m getting rid of the aft wall sconces lights on either side of the MSD panel. I’m also reconsidering the 1701-E style vertical columns in the turbo lift alcoves... I kind of want that area to have a more TNG feel, since most of the bridge ties in to that era.

Rekkert, I love the chairs for the CONN/OPS stations and all the side stations... I want to leave those as-is, and only have the center three command area chairs be the same style as on the 1701-E, when the time comes. I love these new renders... I love how well the TNG carpet colors work here, and the aft Defiant and Odyssey panels.
    Why not just design your own? All this is is basically the Odyssey bridge elongated, with 1701-E style side stations.

True, but there are some aspects of the bridge that would fit said design, especially its angular look.
    I've swapped the aft light scones with modify versions of the Ent-E columns. These will be alert indicators as on the TNG bridge, and will further tie together the back and front parts of the bridge.

Also, I've added the two smaller panels on the tactical console, plus I've modified the ceiling to continue the ribbed motif on the light panels.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-18.jpg?1553912232
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-19.jpg?1553912235
    StarscreamashleytingerLizzy777
    edited March 2019 #1906
    Nice, those new aft column panels kinda tie in with the Defiant access panels a little, too :)

ETA: The corners of those aft walls might look better rounded off like the forward egress walls, and help to unify the forward and aft bridge areas.
    Some more work on the aft section, tweaking the ceiling and adding some more lights there, plus modeling the little corridors that come out of the back. These are quite small because there's not much room in there given the expanded side consoles.

I've also added some subtle vertical lines on the walls with the Ent-D brig details, to add a break point for the detailing at floor level, which before kinda just stopped and looked glued on top. I've added the same cut line to the front of the bridge.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-20.jpg?1553985216
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-21.jpg?1553985218
    Lizzy777Starscream
    Very nice. I like the new little details and the small corridor! I still love the way those VOY doors look here... they just work. The only suggestion I can make now is a very tiny one, which would be to lower the small red labels on the two aft 1710-E columns, so that they’re just above the LCARS screen area, since as they are now, they look like they’re almost touching the ceiling.
  • ViperViper1678 Posts: 717Administrator
    That all looks awesome. What's that grey material supposed to be?
    Viper wrote: »

Viper, that gray material is the same “fabric” wall covering as is used on the TNG bridge turbolift alcoves.

Viper wrote: »

Viper, that gray material is the same “fabric” wall covering as is used on the TNG bridge turbolift alcoves.

Ah, right. I didn't meant the question in a bad way btw. Was just curious if it was fabric or plastic. I can see my question came out a bit off.
    @BolianAdmiral: I've changed the position of the red labels :)

@Viper: As Bolian pointed, they're supposed to be fabric. The material used is the same as on the little fabric squares just above the floor level lights. And no bad intention was read on the question on my end, don't worry! :)

I've added the circuitry access panels on the front of the bridge, plus I've modified the aforementioned floor level lights to use the pattern from the Nemesis conference lounge. Unless I'm missing something, the only modeling bit still left to be done are the Ent-E style command chairs, which I've been dreading doing. :p

tadeo-d-oria-c1-24.jpg?1554160948
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-23.jpg?1554160945
    Lizzy777
    edited April 2019 #1913
    Oh, wow, those Nemesis floor lights really ended up working well here! Yeah, I think modeling-wise, everything should be done... just the remaining LCARS and isolinear graphics. I’d still like to think of something to fill up at least a bit of all that empty space on those rounded corners of the front side walls... maybe a TNG style vertical light strip?
    Post edited by BolianAdmiral on
    A LCARS screen on those round corners might also make sense.

BTW, it's really cool that the helm is so close to the screen. Obviously they couldn't do it in the shows because they needed to film, but it makes a lot of sense.
    I've started work on the graphics, finishing the door labels and the alert indicators.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-25.jpg?1554239510
    Lizzy777
    Oh, I love how those isolinear chips turned out on the screen! Everything’s looking great!
    No bio-neural gel packs?
    No bio-neural gel packs?

Nope. It’s a useless technology that was just a gimmick for VOY. How can anything organic increase the speed of a computer that can process at FTL speed? If anything it’d sow it down. Plus, as we saw on Voyager, the gel packs can get sick, and you’re screwed. The Frontier was built to be sent on a mission to Andromeda’s Alpha Quadrant shore, so they need a technology that’s dependable and tested, just in case there’s no access to replenishments. Isolinear, all the way.

Yeah, bio-neural is one of those examples of Trek lore that, at least with our current understanding, doesn't make much sense. Not to mention the fact that both the Enterprise-E (launched around the same time as Voyager) and the Sao Paulo (launched 5 years later) both have isolinear circuitry, so it seems that at the very least both technologies coexisted for a period of time.

I've worked on the aft area graphics, including the MSD. Bolian left me to pick the registry number for the ship, with the only requisite being that it should be higher than those from the first-batch Galaxy-Class ships we know from canon. Given that, and that the Frontier's mission in his fan-fiction is to basically establish a second Federation on the Andromeda galaxy, I've chosen NCC-72161, alluding to the year the Federation was founded.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-26.jpg?1554266879
    ashleytinger
    That MSD looks great, as do all the LCARS. I love the way this bridge has come together and evolved. I think it looks more spacious than the GEN version, personally, mostly because there’s no side sections cutting into any ramp space. I also loved how well adding the wood trim to the ceiling struts worked... I love the way that looks! I think now that I see how this has turned out, when I design the Quasar’s “refit” bridge, I’ll definitely be going with the lower ceiling height of the Odyssey, as seen here, instead of the much higher TNG ceiling.
    edited April 2019 #1921
    No bio-neural gel packs?

Nope. It’s a useless technology that was just a gimmick for VOY. How can anything organic increase the speed of a computer that can process at FTL speed? If anything it’d sow it down. Plus, as we saw on Voyager, the gel packs can get sick, and you’re screwed. The Frontier was built to be sent on a mission to Andromeda’s Alpha Quadrant shore, so they need a technology that’s dependable and tested, just in case there’s no access to replenishments. Isolinear, all the way.

The packs were subjected to a subspace field IIRC, and it was this (plus their organic decision-making) that led to more efficiently managed data.

There was some indication from background graphics that the packs were used aboard the Ent-E, but certainly we know that isolinear chips were used aboard both this and Voyager -- not least as backup systems, and for systems requiring manual intervention.

As far as them getting sick, I imagine SF refined both the pack design and the genetic code of the organic elements based upon experiences in the field.

ETA: Somebody years ago (maybe Stuart Baldwin?) postulated that isolinear chips might evolve to enclose a bioneural "central processor" in each one; combining the technologies to give the best aspects of both. I imagine though that backups might still be more of a "bog standard" version...