Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DPen and ink ships since I can't model

• BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Something different, some helmet/armour designs that I'm not nuts about but throwing up here in hopes that maybe an idea will sprout.

tumblr_plqyc2edLo1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_plqyp8IWfR1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

Some ideas for the "heads" of spaceships.
    More helmet/headband concepts.

tumblr_plts6kg34F1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg
    More buildings!

tumblr_plzbhifxE11u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

The big one on the left is my favourite one but it's not remotely what I wanted to do (isn't that always the way?) A skyscraper castle with a little bit of the mountain it was made from still visible... I'd probably remove that if I had to do it over again. The stack ideas remind me a bit of the H34V3N ship, maybe it's a stationary hotel version of that.
    That picture can't be THAT old! insane. Here are some more buildings, but rather than being futuristic, they're meant to be ancient.

tumblr_pmfvckBTeJ1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg
    Watching ""Brainstorm"" (which I rented on DVD but evidently there's a blu-ray so I just ordered that) and there are these brill 70s locations. This one exterior feels like the kind of thing I'd incorporate into the design of the Iron Star.

tumblr_pmjb4ownF11u9hwe3o2_1280.jpg
    I need to work on some ships or robots or something to give this thread some more pep. But for now, here's another thing I'm adding into my Dune folder, a doodle I did while watching Dark City. Thought it might be useful for the Still Suits.

tumblr_pmjnnnGUCW1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg
    So Starrigger likes fish ships, does he? Let's see how I likes this little baby I cooked up the other day.

tumblr_pn25pvTVwp1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    Oh, I like very much! I've been liking your building designs as well.
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
    tumblr_pnd5rrtT2b1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

Industrial vehicles, doodled while stuck in an airplane over Christmas.

tumblr_pnd5prBrcr1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

More doodles for a robot dog, a concept I've been wanting to revisit since i have a use for it now.

tumblr_pnd5o2yzWW1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

Not really digging this one, a sort of non-specific future computer thing.

tumblr_pnd5ncNOx11u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

And a doodle idea for a smart watch, was thinking it could show up in Iron Star It can't do much, but it could send out a distress call.
    Lizzy777
    tumblr_pndd7lfBmp1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

Concepts for redesigning the Digivice. Trying to figure out how to simplify that 90s design, keep it recognizable, but also not make it look like everything else out there. Though some of them do look like that post-it note design I did ages ago.

I also didn't appreciate how much these things look like tape measures.
    Lizzy777
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member

If you put your foot down, I'm sure you'll inch something out. I know how tricky it can be to meter out a design.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    edited February 2019 #523
    Lizzy777 wrote: »

If you put your foot down, I'm sure you'll inch something out. I know how tricky it can be to meter out a design.

SMH... Give them an inch and they take a mile... all in all some very cool stuff here. I actually like the "Future Computer" terminal design. I think it could go somewhere.
    Post edited by Starrigger on
    Lizzy777
    Starrigger wrote: »
    SMH... Give them an inch and they take a mile... all in all some very cool stuff here. I actually like the "Future Computer" terminal design. I think it could go somewhere.

Thanks, I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with it. I can see it folding out in pieces, being like a planning terminal or something. I was trying to go into a deliberate 80s type of design.

Starrigger wrote: »

Thanks, I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with it. I can see it folding out in pieces, being like a planning terminal or something. I was trying to go into a deliberate 80s type of design.

I could see it as a purpose designed rugged portable control panel, that an engineer would lug around from one location to another. You can't access a piece of machinery to repair or modify it without this panel/PC.
    That's exactly what I was thinking, too. It all unfolds when you get there and everyone gathers around it.
    So I figured out the ring design digivice, it actually has three functions, whihc are selected with the side button. Normally, it's green and functions as a compass. When you switch to active user mode, the ring glows white and functions a bit like an iPod clickwheel. You use that to scroll through options like the scanner, Digimon analyzer, messages and whatnot. During battle, it glows blue and functions as an energy meter, turning to red when the digimon's power gets dangerously low. Pretty intuitive, I think.
    tumblr_pns1pmrR7v1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

So I finally watched (most) of Pacific Rim Uprising. There are several more pages of robots and details on the way, but here's a sample. It reminds me a bit of the K-Trons from Valerian.

tumblr_pns1o3F6601u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

Ideas for some retro-style terminals. I couldn't get the folding one quite like I saw it in my head, the ones that are there... which I like... aren't close to what I was thinking of.
    Lizzy777
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    I can see the K-Trons in the sketch since you mentioned it. My first thought were the robotic Cylons from NuBSG.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    edited March 2019 #530
    tumblr_pnvpegTU9u1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

One more terminal idea. I did these in the dark before bed, I just had a few ideas and drew them down. This is the only one that came out all right.

Actually, after doing these designs, I saw this old computer on Twitter and it's close to what I was thinking of!

D02pyDQX4AEVpoV.png

tumblr_pnvps6Nu9B1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

Some doodles for ship details. I like the idea of odd shaped windows and so on, informs interesting interior shapes that could make for cool settings.

tumblr_pnvprbf48J1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

A big robot.

Post edited by BlueNeumann on
    GuerrillarojrenLizzy777
    tumblr_po7rl7HLpS1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

Okay, ONE more retro futuristic terminal.
    Lizzy777
    Robot Samurai time!

tumblr_po7yg7JlAS1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_po7yfbp57Z1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_po7yfbp57Z1u9hwe3o2_1280.jpg

Not sure what I'm going to do with these yet.
    Lizzy777
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    The last one looks kind of Middle Earth elvish.
    edited June 2022 #534
    tumblr_po7rl7HLpS1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

Okay, ONE more retro futuristic terminal.

Kinda Diggin'' this one!

So I decided to sell them...

amgi48qwlxtu.jpg
    Lizzy777
    edited March 2019 #535
    Oh my gosh, I LOVE this! And it looks so much cooler than I thought it would, I was imagining the contemporary aluminum/titanium look, the retro 80s look is so much sharper!

I definitely want to refine this design a little now based on what you've created, give it some more of that "Apple" style.

Also

giphy.gif

So I was thinking about refining this, swapping out the keyboard or something, and i found a couple images:

mechanical-keyboard-mac-matias-quiet-pro-01.jpg

but even in that case I feel like the keys might just be generic or abstract buttons... I never really thought about that.

Or maybe the keyboard pops up on the screen, I remember a keyboard window on that Mac interface, so the keypad area might be useful for something else... the hotkeys or something. Not sure.

Maybe something like this?

Avid_9900_65170_00_Artist_Transport_900828.jpg

Or this

Tangent_Devices_ELEMENT_MF_PANEL_Element_Mf_Panel_842363.jpg

And I can totally see this autocue being the "hockey puck" mouse of this unit.

shuttle_express.jpg

Looking at these hand controls reminded me of a funky slanted computer screen I did a couple years ago, I don't think I ever posted it. Enjoy!

tumblr_poa2c2v2ir1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_polftcaeaY1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

Another page of terminals, starting off with inspiration from an interesting slanted tape recorder. I think that top tiny one might be... not the best, but it's the least complicated, the most likely to be a thing.

tumblr_polfu1JEN31u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

Brain helmet, I just liked this idea of the cables connecting and then connecting and connecting, I dug the visual of all these tendrils coming out of the back.

Lizzy777komaroStarrigger
    edited June 2022 #537
    Liked the Brain Helmet, and saw it as a cabling challenge..

Still needs additional detailing, but I thought the wires came out nice.

qcfye15oodwi.jpg
    3oq4i5tm82ak.jpg
    That came out great, man! Surprisingly sleek for a design I thought would be more Gilliam-esque (or Blompkamp-esque, I've been watching a lot of OATS).

Seeing the design, and given that I wasn't buts about the headphones, I think I'll try and play with something for that as well, to take up that empty space.

Right now, it definitely fits into the Hyperion universe style design... so does the texture on that suit, now that I think about it.
    edited March 2019 #539
    dd2on8n-105e018d-b34b-4833-a4a1-3f64ff53e0be.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzYzMjgwNTdkLWVjMGMtNGNkYS1iZDc3LWFjMTRjNTIzM2Q5OFwvZGQyb244bi0xMDVlMDE4ZC1iMzRiLTQ4MzMtYTRhMS0zZjY0ZmY1M2UwYmUuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.gN_Br4Zr6EHc_MhS6MmAmLgNE4fH-A2zLihuzkKkDW4

Saw Spiderverse finally and loved it... and something about it made me think of Lexx in an animated style since I was already playing with the visuals. Here's my first crack at Zev, trying to merge her looks together and extend her features. I like the shoulder strap things, definitely seeing some more texture for that in the future.

tumblr_poqnhyJXLq1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

My first attempt to upgrade 790. Was thinking very bug like, but I also went a more traditional look. Like the idea of him having legs or tentacles or some way of moving around, to make him more of an active character. Probably a bit like the Cyberman head in the" Pandorica" episode of Doctor Who

cyber1.jpg

And giving tendrils to a horndog robot like 790 is probably a really bad idea, meaning it could lead to interesting scenes... though I'm picturing a lot of gesticulating, overacting, wringing... get your heads out of the gutter!
    Lizzy777
    So no new art, quite yet, but I just saw this on Tumblr and it's somewhat similar to what I was thinking for Dragon Colony... just imagine the building is rock, and the dragon is glass.

tumblr_ppcdnsCDOo1wmjsx1o1_1280.jpg
    Concept for the minimalist bridge of a ship called Eternal Midnight. I just had the idea of a simple set of touch screen TVs as the control panels, with the officers being able to see each other, and a massive view into the unknown. Not quite sure what configuration to go with yet, or what to do with the back wall.

I'm imagining the interior dark, gray carpets, dark blue/gray textured walls...

tumblr_pppzxyjDKI1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg