Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DConstitution Class Refit

ViperViper1678 Posts: 717Administrator
edited March 2019 in Work in Progress #1
Hello folks. I haven't posted here in a while, but now that we have a new home, I decided to come back. For the good folks that are on our Discord channel, you'll have seen me posting my progress on this project that I started about a year and a half ago, thought I have been on and off about it. Last I had worked on this was back in October. When I got back to it a couple of weeks ago, I decided to start over as the model just had a few nagging issues, and wasn't very accurate in places. I found some really nice blueprints, that are way better than what I was using before and those have helped me getting to basically the same point I was before in a much shorter time span.

About the project itself, the goal is to build a high resolution model of the Enterprise that can hold up in close range. No budget on polygons so I'm going a bit crazy in a few places :tongue: While I'm trying to be as accurate as possible, a few minor details might get reworked to either improve the resolution, or to make the internals of the ship work, which brings me to my secondary goal. After I am done with the exterior, some interiors will be made as well. I don't think I'll do full interiors, but anything that has a window or can be seen from the outside in some other way (IE: Shuttle Bay) will be made. That will probably be low polygons as the objective is to give the windows depth. Anyway, enough text. I'll post renders of the model in the next post.

y9q1bk9t1fh4.png
Post edited by Guerrilla on
Guerrilla
Tagged:

• ViperViper1678 Posts: 717Administrator
    Here's a couple of general status images. The basic shapes are almost all done. Missing a few major areas like Impulse Engines and the dome on the bottom of the saucer, but apart from that I'm already going into the detailing phase.

constitution62.jpg
    constitution63.jpg

Some details:
    constitution59.jpg
    constitution57.jpg
    constitution64.jpg

And finally, right now I'm working on the bridge:
    constitution61.jpg

I also have a couple of side projects, but I'll post about those later. Comments, critique and suggestions welcome :)
    ashleytingerStarriggerLizzy777StarscreamrojrenComcowolfmangmd3dChanur
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Ohh, this sounds very cool and already looks great! What kind of changes are you planning on doing to have the interiors fit in?
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Thanks :) Nothing drastic really. Just might need to position a window or two in a slightly different place. The part that is bothering me a bit is the side hatch in engineering. According to internal plans that should be level with the shuttle bay floor. It's not :tongue: Most of the other problems will be solved by manipulating the interior itself. Windows in the saucer rim don't make a lot of sense for instance, so I'll have to do some creative work there.
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    Wow. This looks terrific! Very nice job on the nacelles. I've never been brave enough to try them.
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    This is beautiful work!

May I ask where you got the superior blueprints?
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Very nice work! Are you using the Big Jim Slade prints?
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Very nice. :sunglasses: I've enjoyed watching this come together on the SFM Discord. :)

What sort of setup are you planning on using for the Deflector? These days, with PBR, I always try to emulate the actual physical models as much as possible - eg, putting a transparent, refractive material on the buzzards and then a 'light' inside them. I'm not sure how the actual model's Deflector worked, but i'm assuming it's similar?
    Tallguy wrote: »
    Wow. This looks terrific! Very nice job on the nacelles. I've never been brave enough to try them.

Thanks! Nacelles are complicated until you understand how they are built. They are still tricky, but it makes it quite a bit easier.
    scifieric wrote: »
    This is beautiful work!

May I ask where you got the superior blueprints?
    Very nice work! Are you using the Big Jim Slade prints?

Thank you both! Yeah, I'm using Jim Slade's. He worked out a lot of shapes and issues that other blueprints don't show correctly. Here's a link: Constitution Class Refit blueprints
    Comco wrote: »
    Very nice. :sunglasses: I've enjoyed watching this come together on the SFM Discord. :)

What sort of setup are you planning on using for the Deflector? These days, with PBR, I always try to emulate the actual physical models as much as possible - eg, putting a transparent, refractive material on the buzzards and then a 'light' inside them. I'm not sure how the actual model's Deflector worked, but i'm assuming it's similar?

I was already using a setup like that on the old version. I decided to go ahead and do the shader on the new one. Also gave me an excuse to model the rectangles in the dish.
    constitution65.jpg

And here's how I built it:
    mvxs9po81tfb.jpg

The shaders are a bit more complicated. The cylinder is just a light of course. The dish glass is using SSS and roughness in the refraction channel to get the dispersion looking right. The glass is not colored though, so that when the light is off it'll look like the studio model. The housing is a slightly metallic blue. I can control how much the edges of the dish will light up by controlling the IOR in this one.
    Lizzy777
    This is fantastic work all the way around.
    edited February 2019 #12
    scifieric wrote: »
    This is fantastic work all the way around.

I wasn't feeling well yesterday, so I didn't get much done. I finished almost all details on the bridge structure. Missing windows and the hatch doors. I'm going to hold on those for now though. I'm trying to not get bogged down on a single area too long to not lose motivation. I need to plan the windows properly anyway, as I kinda want them all to be the same size. I think impulse engines are next.

constitution69.jpg
    Post edited by Viper on
    Lizzy777Starrigger
  • gmd3dgmd3d250 DublinPosts: 132Member
    exciting project. watching with interest
    “You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.”
    @ST-One on the Discord channel pointed out the shape of the bridge wasn't exactly right, so I tweaked it quite a bit. Might not be 100%, but there are differences between the several studio models, and I'm not going for an exact recreation of one. Anyway, here's the revised bridge. Those little details need to be remade now.

constitution72.jpg
    constitution73.jpg
    Lizzy777ashleytingerST-OneStarrigger
    Very pretty!
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Welcome back bro! How the life is going?
    Wonderfull work all around!
    Starship wrote: »
    Welcome back bro! How the life is going?
    Wonderfull work all around!

Thanks! Life is ok. Hit a rough patch a couple of years ago financially. Still recovering. Things aren't easy in this country of ours. Excited to be back though :)
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    This may be a bit forward of me--but I'd love to see a model of what the 1701-A should have looked like--with a Balson hull:
    https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/publiusrs-starship-designs-large-images.260404/

Second image down.
    Time to update this! I haven't posted much here but I've been working on it the past few days. Mostly trying to figure out the hull panels, which I did manage to find a solution that doesn't involve booleans and massive cleanup. Anyway, for some general progress, first I started to work on the structure on the bottom of the saucer as well as the bits around the deflector. Neither are really finished, so I don't want to do major closeups:
    constitution83.jpg

The impulse engines are close to done. Just need to make the panels and that should be it:
    constitution82.jpg

And the hull panels:
    constitution81.jpg
    constitution84.jpg

As you can see, each panel is separate from the other. My intention is to build the ribs of the ship as well. Should give some nice detail if I ever decide to blow it up :) Also, you'll notice that I created some hull lines that doesn't exist in the studio model. I'm planning on keeping them. I think it gives a better idea of assembly.

publiusr wrote: »
    This may be a bit forward of me--but I'd love to see a model of what the 1701-A should have looked like--with a Balson hull:
    https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/publiusrs-starship-designs-large-images.260404/

Second image down.

To be honest, that looks a little silly, and would be a lot of work to try as the secondary hull would have to be made from scratch.

Lizzy777
    Quick update. Kinda proud of how this looks:
    constitution85.jpg
    ashleytingerRekkertrojrenLizzy777Starrigger
  • ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    B)
    Still going. I had to re-do the dish as it was pointed out to me that the strips are not inset. It's actually good, as there were some smoothing errors there, now there aren't anymore. Also finished the impulse engines.

constitution87.jpg
    constitution90.jpg
    constitution89.jpg

I'm also starting to try and figure out some smaller details, like the docking ports. In the engineering, the placement is completely wrong as the travel pod can't dock correctly at all (ignore the low poly mesh. That was just to test proportions):
    travelpod.jpg

I don't want to put the port in a different place though, as it won't look like the Enterprise otherwise, so I came up with this solution:
    hatch.jpg

It'll require the travel pod to have an extensible docking tube, but that doesn't sound like an impossibility. Either way, this solution lets me do a slanted door as well if I just want a similar look to the model.
    Lizzy777ST-One
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    I love how clean and bright it is, like it just came out of the box! (big box)
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    Love the detailing on the impulse engines! Kind of what I was going for on one of my models with mixed success. Yours looks amazing though. Might have to try something similar!
    Still moving along. I'm at a point in the process that it gets a bit boring. So it's slower.

constitution98.jpg
    constitution99.jpg
    constitution100.jpg

I love how clean and bright it is, like it just came out of the box! (big box)
    Love the detailing on the impulse engines! Kind of what I was going for on one of my models with mixed success. Yours looks amazing though. Might have to try something similar!

Thank you both :) Nothing special on the details though. Just a lot of boring cleanup.
    Lizzy777ashleytingerStarriggerlennier1
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Some very nice detail here. I love how clean and new everything looks, lol. And I love the shade of red used for the impulse engines.
    Viper
  • Howard DayHoward Day632 Posts: 434Member
    Muwha! Loving the details, the subtle lighting, and the lovely reflections. Cannot wait to see more of your take on this lovely ship. :grin:
    Viper
    Some very nice detail here. I love how clean and new everything looks, lol. And I love the shade of red used for the impulse engines.

Thanks! I can't wait to do the windows and then get her textured ;)
    Howard Day wrote: »
    Muwha! Loving the details, the subtle lighting, and the lovely reflections. Cannot wait to see more of your take on this lovely ship. :grin:

Thanks man! High praise coming from you :D
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    Finally able to see this on a decent sized screen! Looks very nice so far, and all of the glowy bits work well to my eyes!
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    Your work is reminding me why this is my favorite version of the Enterprise.. VERY nicely done (doing?)
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
    Thanks guys :)

Some more progress over the past few days. I've been battling a cold, so I've been slower. Still, I managed to work on the neck today. I also finished a few other things over the past few days.

constitution111.jpg
    constitution103.jpg
    constitution107.jpg
    constitution110.jpg

The neck lines are not final. I might remove them...or not. Not sure yet.

Lizzy777rojrenashleytingerChanur