Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTroop Transport

• StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    edited April 2019 #482
    Progress..

eknc0yhlg55s.jpg

gtsofe3q2pjn.jpg

93lwagk3gzth.jpg

Post edited by Starrigger on
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Oh wow, that's WAY bigger than I expected. I love that thing. What if it's a big tanker, there's a skin of chambers and corridors, but in the center are aquatic creatures that humans are working with? The intelligent whales and dolphins helping mankind colonize their new solar cluster?
    edited April 2019 #484
    Oh wow, that's WAY bigger than I expected. I love that thing. What if it's a big tanker, there's a skin of chambers and corridors, but in the center are aquatic creatures that humans are working with? The intelligent whales and dolphins helping mankind colonize their new solar cluster?

Interesting Idea! The ultimate in Eco Rescue.

Actually I was seeing this as the transport ships for the Upper-crust colonizers who move in after the Seeders have done their job of terraforming a planet - with the Seeders becoming trapped in an under class - "worker bee" level on the planet.

some new images:

fw193mhf0vtn.jpg

ujdbqumkcy99.jpg

6v77k5kf0n4k.jpg

2b2pw6e9zlvx.jpg

d0v5dxuocddr.jpg

zxuoac7zfcth.jpg

Lizzy777
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    I'm getting kind of a Homeworld vibe with this ship design. Going back a page, I think I see some Mass Effect influences, too.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    Oh, I like that idea too! I think the upper crusters might have more of a yacht-type luxury ride... especially if the ship is retained in service as a cruiser to take them between other colony worlds, the moons, or just a nice lifeboat in case the worker bees revolt.

The worker bees catacombs beneath the planet, I can see them all living in hexagonal rooms like a capsule hotel made by bees, very space-efficient. KInda crummy. Fits a bit with the IS-verse.
    edited February 2019 #487
    I actually have this idea for a "Travel/Colonize brochure" Idea rolling around in my head... based off current cruise ship ads.
    Lizzy777 wrote: »
    I'm getting kind of a Homeworld vibe with this ship design. Going back a page, I think I see some Mass Effect influences, too.

I have never actually played either franchise, but I do like the look and feel of both.
    I've actually got this catalog for a National Geographic ship, love the interiors... definitely thinking of them as inspiration for my 2600 ship interior.
    Oh, Oh, Oh... I think I shall dub thee.. The Mako... Works on many levels... (nod to Mass Effect) (feeding off the work of lesser creatures)
    edited April 2019 #491
    long way to go, but already wanting to leave orbit...

x8q7tywwzrlh.jpg

Lizzy777gpdesigner
    "And I think it's going to be a long long time, until touchdown brings me around again to find, I'm not the man they think I am at home. Oh, no no..."
    edited April 2019 #493
    "And I think it's going to be a long long time, until touchdown brings me around again to find, I'm not the man they think I am at home. Oh, no no..."

Rocketman!

xiumeadvam3x.jpg

Lizzy777
    Burning out his fuse up here... alone!

(oh my god, at the rehearsal for my brother's wedding, the band played a 20 minute version of that song)
    edited June 2022 #495
    Some More... Bridge started, and a size comparison with one of my more recent cargo ships.

g9czdwau7z1i.jpg

wyw3k7azvual.jpg

kttl5ivyw3rg.jpg
    Lizzy777
    Digging it, though I was thinking way more consoles in that big bridge... lower too, so everyone can see out of those big windows.

I love how that nose n the final image reminds me of the Planet Express ship as well as looking like it's cooing at the tiny ship.
    edited March 2019 #497
    Digging it, though I was thinking way more consoles in that big bridge... lower too, so everyone can see out of those big windows.

I love how that nose n the final image reminds me of the Planet Express ship as well as looking like it's cooing at the tiny ship.

Actually that control group is about 12 feet from the windows and is just the beginning. I imagine way more stations, Those are just the main flight controls, there will be more, like systems monitoring, navigation station, life support substation, etc. All the bells and whistles I can think of, and then some...

Cooing at the cargo ship... Just before it eats it! =)
    edited April 2019 #498
    Added Cabins, and some more detailing, and tinkered with the Hull texture:

esq3me15acr4.jpg

ek13vc42zibt.jpg

vp4lk22in1au.jpg

gpdesigner
    I like the camoflage texture.
    edited April 2019 #500
    Thanks Blue, I like it too, but I think the effect may need to be softened a bit.

Here's another look at the bridge. It is slightly reconfigured from the original.

r3t1cc7vu14g.jpg

Lizzy777
    edited June 2022 #501
    Okay, here we go... down the rabbit hole!

bc2arzzgzj9q.jpg

In my mind there are two ways to produce the effect of gravity in space.
    1. The centrifugal method in which you plaster an object against a surface by spinning
    2. The other way would be to use an object of some mass to "pull" other objects toward it

The first one has been utilized in many SF films, most notably 2001.
    The second has in my opinion, been used in many more in the form of "Artificial Gravity" Anytime we see people and things firmly stuck to the floor with no visible means of tethering, we have the mythical "AG." But I do not recall any of them trying to explain how this said AG is being created (Please let me know if you recall any).

I would like to attempt to do so...

The image above is a visual of what I was thinking. I have always had some issue with calling this process "artificial gravity" since the result IS gravity (the effect of two masses on one another)

The basic Idea is to create a highly dense mass and then building your ship around it.

My question to the audience, since I'm more grounded in the fiction then the science, is this: Do you need an "Earths" worth of matter to create the effect of 1G? In other words How much matter would need to be crammed into the center containment vessel for the people to feel like they are standing on Earth?

Being unable to see the picture, I can't comment on your solution. But I don't think you need an earth's worth of matter, merely an earth's worth of pull.

Personally, I think the issue is that we just don't know enough about gravity at the moment to envision more than the most rudimentary solutions. And the cycle-style AG like 2001 have are fraught with issues from size/scale limitations as well as UX issues (you can't pour something straight down). That really limits what we can do in space at the moment.
    Being unable to see the picture, I can't comment on your solution. .

Do you see any of the images on the thread?

• Howard DayHoward Day632 Posts: 434Member
    Nope. They're all broken.
    I have to right-click and open image in a new tab to view the pics posted. The links work, but the images themselves just don't show up on the forum for some reason.
    edited April 2019 #506
    Sorry guys, I'm screwed... it looks like the site has chosen to enforce https I can't afford the cert and I'm not going to dump all my work on some file share site so they can make money off me... I am not certain how much space SFM provides for file storage, but the last iteration was very small. Knowing all the trouble that the old site had I can not blame them for the move, I just cannot move with them.

I did embed the images of the last posts, we will see how far I can go
    I see the pictures!
    The images are showing up in the forum now.
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    Starrigger wrote: »
    Sorry guys, I'm screwed... it looks like the site has chosen to enforce https I can't afford the cert and I'm not going to dump all my work on some file share site so they can make money off me... I am not certain how much space SFM provides for file storage, but the last iteration was very small. Knowing all the trouble that the old site had I can not blame them for the move, I just cannot move with them.

I did embed the images of the last posts, we will see how far I can go

There's quite a bit more room available than there used to be. You also can get free certs from Let's Encrypt or Cloudflare (which is what we use), which are pretty easy to hook up, but I do realize this is a hassle. :/
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
    Guerrilla wrote: »
    There's quite a bit more room available than there used to be. You also can get free certs from Let's Encrypt or Cloudflare (which is what we use), which are pretty easy to hook up, but I do realize this is a hassle. :/

Thanks for the info, I will also check out those certs, thanks again
    edited April 2019 #511
    Sooo.... Thanks, Guerilla, since I was placing all my images on my own server and I have full control of it, I just went with Certbot It automates the whole certification install stuff for "Let's Encrypt".

I was in process of moving all my images over from the hosted server, now I will just speed that process up.
    Guerrilla