Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Local TutorialHow to build the Starship Enterprise in TrueSpace 3

• scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    You may be many things Alareth but ...

LOL!
  • drudru0 Posts: 0Member
    Are those crickets I hear in this thread? :D
    Hard to hear anything at all anymore. LOL!
  • AlarethAlareth331 Posts: 0Member
    Hmm... Dusty in here.

*sweeps and dusts*
    *hint* <--- Oh. Here, I'll take that!
  • drudru0 Posts: 0Member
    With no updates since July, are you still planning to take this tutorial up again, SciFiEric?
    Yes ... but I am a little slow.
  • AlarethAlareth331 Posts: 0Member
    scifieric wrote: »
    Yes ... but I am a little slow.

Do be so hard on your self, the term is "special". That's why you got to ride in that neat little school bus as a child.
  • startrekfan001startrekfan001171 Posts: 0Member
    WWOOOOOTTT!!! I'VE READ THE HOLE TOPIC FROM BEGIN TO END!! ERIC YOUR DA MAN! so... now my explosion of hapiness, gratitude, and... happiness is set on paper, i hope the rest of the tut is coming soon. when i made the bussards with splines, i tought: this cant work. then i tried it, and within 5 minutes i had a BE-AU-TI-FUL nacelle, far better then my own modelled nacelle. thnX dude, and keep up the good work! im still awaiting the rest of the tut :D
    Uh, wow! Thanks man! I should post more soon. I've done a couple of more sections.
    here's a WIP from the ship i made so far using your tut:
    (btw, i just redid the saucer but im redoing it again today, and the engineering hull was improvised. will that be your next point in the tut?)
    test9kz3.th.jpg
    test10oj2.th.jpg
    test11gp1.th.jpg
    test12cm3.th.jpg
    test13vl3.th.jpg
    Wow startrekfan001, that's better than my first Enterprise model!

A couple of points to help in your continuing efforts if I may:

1) The B/C deck (egg shaped atop the saucer) needs to be a little more sharply defined. It looks a little too flat if you know what I mean.

2) The underside of the saucer at the very bottom appears flat on your model. It should be rounder. I would probably reduce the depth of the three rings or make them slightly smaller but very nice work!

3) The neck and pylons are actually round, not rectangular.

You have done VERY well on your own with the engineering deck! Yes, I will be getting to that area next.

Nice work. Keep going!
    1) The B/C deck (egg shaped atop the saucer) needs to be a little more sharply defined. It looks a little too flat if you know what I mean.
    can you post an examplary image? i have all the reference images you suggested, the ones from alan sinclair, but they match... sharpen what?
    3) The neck and pylons are actually round, not rectangular.
    huh? same to that one!
    You have done VERY well on your own with the engineering deck! Yes, I will be getting to that area next.

Nice work. Keep going!
    thank you :D

edit: i will be redoing each part of the mesh, to perfection it. the bussards have been redone 4 times now, and im going for a 5th time now. the saucer is about to undergo its 3th redo. these redo's were not in the pictures i sent. after the bussard and the saucer, i will do the deflector dish for the 2nd time. ofcourse, i will first figure out what to change on the B/C deck.
  • dan1701adan1701a2 Posts: 0Member
    can you post an examplary image? i have all the reference images you suggested, the ones from alan sinclair, but they match... sharpen what?

huh? same to that one!

thank you :D

edit: i will be redoing each part of the mesh, to perfection it. the bussards have been redone 4 times now, and im going for a 5th time now. the saucer is about to undergo its 3th redo. these redo's were not in the pictures i sent. after the bussard and the saucer, i will do the deflector dish for the 2nd time. ofcourse, i will first figure out what to change on the B/C deck.

I think what Scifieric meant by the neck and pylons being rounded and not rectangular is that they have rounded edges - look at Alan Sinclair's drawings again. The cross-sections for the dorsal are actually semi-teardrop shaped (rounded forward edge, bulging sides, and a somewhat flat trailing edge) and the cross-section of the pylons shows that the corners are rounded (or filleted, in 3D speak).

Another observation: The bridge turbolift needs to be directly aft of the bridge, not offset as you have it. If you look at Michael McMaster's blueprints of the bridge, it notes that the bridge is actually offset 36 degrees from the ship's centerline. That's why the turbolift is directly behind the bridge dome, but everybody is actually looking 36 degrees port when they face "forward". (Also, the other explanation was so they could have the lift doors directly behind Shatner when someone entered the bridge, so they didn't have to pan the camera over.)

It also seems as though the bussard collectors on the warp engines are a little squished. Consider using a half-sphere - it's a lot easier. :thumb:

Other than those minor nits, your model really looks good! Hopefully I can get back into mine soon...I may consider giving up on Blender and going back to Cinema 4D or 3ds max, but I have a couple ideas I may try.........
    the bussard IS a half sphere... but i see what you mean. its fixed.
  • MakotokatMakotokat0 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent.........maybe I should make one.....
    20 minutes work.....
    703ara7.th.jpg
    703bnn5.th.jpg
    Nice going Makotokat!
    I never realy played much with splines before, but this was fun. I am however going to remake it in 3 pieces probably, I know the woes of texturing in truespace! I was thinking of scanning my Franz Joseph Technical manual for fun!
    secundary hull!!:help:
    edit: i have made the neck completely detailed now, and im REALLY proud of the windows :D as they are textured in high res to show whats behind them. i used about 5 different interior textures that i applied to the windows. ill post a few pics as soon as i get to the right computer :)
    Have you started a Work In Progress yet? That way we can all go see!
    here is a WIP of my neck. i am not making any other full ship WIPS since the engineering doesnt match the reworked rest of the ship anymore. im awaiting your tut for that :D here are a few window shots:
    test15wf3.th.jpg
    test16og7.th.jpg
    well?

edit: ofcourse these pictures dont really show the right things, they're mostly TNG interiors. but i couldnt find any TNG rooms, with a view from the window to inside. could someone PLEASE give me some accurate TOS interior shots, that can work as window texture?

edit2: expection date of the engineering part tut? :eager: :P
  • scaramangascaramanga331 Posts: 0Member
    here is a WIP of my neck. i am not making any other full ship WIPS since the engineering doesnt match the reworked rest of the ship anymore. im awaiting your tut for that :D here are a few window shots:
    test15wf3.th.jpg
    test16og7.th.jpg
    well?

edit: ofcourse these pictures dont really show the right things, they're mostly TNG interiors. but i couldnt find any TNG rooms, with a view from the window to inside. could someone PLEASE give me some accurate TOS interior shots, that can work as window texture?

edit2: expection date of the engineering part tut? :eager: :P

Just blur those interiors a bit. I doubt you'll ever render pictures that close to the hull :)
    actually im trying to make an ubership: a ship that CAN be rendered so close to the hull. i want it to be at LEAST (and some more) as detailed as the studio model. (it has just white windows!?)
  • Ah, ST001 are you still using Anim8or? last I saw you did a pretty danm good model of ?E-D? in it.
    yea im doing anim8or. i think you mean the D that i made once. tough im planning on redoing it, (the old version was deleted in a crash) i am first going to finish some other models. like this ent, and a sovy bridge, and then the D i think. the excelsior looks like quite a challenge also.
    engineering section!!! :help:
    I haven't forgotten this. Startrekfan001 keeps asking for the Engineering section so I thought I'd show what I've got so far. I did something a little strange (for me) for the cowling in the front, just behind the deflector dish. I want to be able to get right in close for images and you should be able to see that the ends of the rings are rounded.

So, here it is thus far:
  • backsteptbackstept2018 Posts: 918Member
    sweet!

care to explain how you did it? :D
    It's a-coming! *chuckle*