Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Fesarius Closeup

gregoredgregored331 Posts: 0Member
Fesarius_Closeup_A.jpg
Here's my take on the image released before the remastered episode aired. I finally had to beak down and do more than simply a displacement to get this. I exported a geodesic sphere from Hexagon--haven't yet found out if there's a way to change the geometry--so they have more facets than I wanted--then in Vue 6, "unmoothed" the sphere to retain the facets. Try as I might with material properties, I could not get all the highlights/reflections I wanted.

Yes I am compulsive/obsessive about certain things, hence the new render. I studied the episode stills more closely, and I think I've found the best compromise.--still can't get the orbs to have the right feel, but I think I will give up, for a while.
Tagged:

• halhal192 Posts: 157Member
    Another great picture!

The way I think you should do the text is to get rid of the banner it's self and just use a simple font in white (perhaps with a slight transparacy). Scale the font size down and place it in the middle at the bottom or in one of the corners.

Keep up the good work!
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Say, that's pretty darned cool!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
    :cool:
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    Great!
  • DaowulfDaowulf0 Posts: 0Member
    The Enterprise here is better than in the CBS remastered preview, although its specular highlights give it a slight plastic look. For the Fesarius, consider the possibility that the CBS effects team chose hemispheres rather than spheres simply to be able to map planar textures onto the surfaces without the worry of severe distortions that would happen on spheres. As evidence, look carefully at the CBS remastered preview: The triangular lattice textures mapped onto the hemispheres show nothing but 6-fold junctions, betraying their planar nature. A true geodesic-style 3D triangular lattice must contain some lower-order junctions. My point is that attempting to match the CBS effects in this particular case is not your only course of action, especially because doing so means that you are probably just reproducing some glaring shortcuts that they took. Instead, if you get back to this working on this piece, consider using full spheres, like in the original 1966 Fesarius, and using true geodesic lattices to cover them.
  • enyaliosavatarenyaliosavatar0 Posts: 0Member
    Beautiful work!