Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

External TutorialMad Hull plating The MadFish Way!

MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
edited May 2016 in Tutorials #1
Sorry everyone, the webhosting went with the hacking here sometime I will get it up on my blog It will take a while since I have to redo everything to the blogs format. That or when I get a new host.

Version 2.0
tytle.jpg
NEW URL

actually the old url is dead, crapcast finally killed it :p

BTW this work on curved surfaces see the blue addendum part of the tut. Its all the same idea its just when you say have a rounded corner you got to make sure you have enough geometry there to not segment when you extract the corner. Or you can chamfer it round AFTER you do the extrusions depending how round you want it.

UPDATE NEW URL
http://www.madkoifish.rr.nu/
This is on my blog look under tutorials if you do not see it on the front page.
Post edited by MadKoiFish on
Each day we draw closer to the end.

• farcryfarcry0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice one :thumb:

I will be trying this in the morning no doubt :shiner.

I was wondering though, how the hell do you get such a shape as you have in the image above. I can never get curving shapes like that no matter how i try (extruding a spline or chamfering). Got any tips on how to do that too? :D
  • RedEyeRedEye0 Posts: 0Member
    Good stuff. Just a few crits; the pics were a little small to see all the detail especially when making the first set of cuts, and for tutorial making purposes enabling antialiased wireframes would be really nice (would also help with the first crit by making the close-together lines more legible).
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    Re you refering to the rough hull itself? or any rounded cuts? if its rounded cuts on a object ZI usualy use templates set behind the mesh and cut along it or freehand it. I wont though on windows or round IE circle cuts those I boolean cut. I will select the faces the cut will cover then detach them and do the cut and reattach. Il have a tut on this sort of thing later on as well as my window tut will as well. Busy looking for all the data I had I know I lost quite a bit when I though I had backups and went around deleting stuff. So thinks like the shuttle butts windows etc will have to be rewritten some I still have the original images for so it wont take too much. Others I have to redo totaly. Having a 400gig hdd full of folders called "sort **** 06-13-06", "Crap sort 07-23-05", or "System back up #date" Heh painfull sorting. . . Site is slowly going up rough html at Rushedart Portfolio
    Not sure if I will do things in this manner or not tuts will resemble this one in layout though IE like a book. Url will later be www.madfishway.rr.nu
    ugh forgot to change the char set so itll load up funny. lol
    I dont think antialiasing the viewports will make much of a diffrence maybe result in fuzzier images when resized. I dont see where larger images would make much of a diffrence either. Its simple cuts into the mesh. I do agree the jpgs are way too compressed and that will be dealt with when I rewrite the file. I will provide larger click images on areas I think need it on the http site. This tut is old and originaly written to disply here on the sfm forums so image size was a limit as well as file size.
    This is the proper link Ill edit the OP post as well. Tutorial updated with new info clearer instrustions ans clickable images!!! I found the original files. One thing that isnt fixed is some of the more basic function icons etc as well as theme to the rest of the site. As I state on the tutorial I am planning a total redo of the tutorial. Mostly since I do things quite a bit diffrent now in regards to the "loose vert" Not to mention I do stray into correcting bad modeling instead of keeping the user on the proper track of just PLAIN avoiding those annoying errors to begin with lol.

MKF-
  • TikeyTikey0 Posts: 0Member
    HUGE thanks for your tutorials. They helped me a lot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Sorry to bother, but it seems the link for the tut links to nothing :-(
    I've read this post in a hurry almost three weeks ago, but now I've the time to dig into it, the site and pdf seems to have vanished... can you re-post it please?

Yours, faithfully

Andrea "hawksmoor" Scatena
  • fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
    They are currently doing maintenance on that site server thats why the page isn't showing up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    gosh, thanks for the news, Flux
    its my redirect. . . its taking a huge dump prolly because they offened some script kiddie. heh
    Ill fix the urls so ppl can access it directly.
  • BEMEUPBEMEUP171 Va BeachPosts: 0Member
    Some awesome help there MadKoiFish, thank you very much!!! Quite a few things I've neglected to figure out on my own...
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    its my redirect. . . its taking a huge dump prolly because they offened some script kiddie. heh
    Ill fix the urls so ppl can access it directly.

*cough*ATTACHMENT*cough*

Or is the file too big to post directly to SFM?
    its a COUGH WEBSITE COUGH
    Second I dont have attachment room if it wasnt. The pdf is the old version. And well crapcast killed the site so its only the other one now. :p sp version 1 of the tut is DEAD gone now >_>
  • mental|platemental|plate333 Posts: 0Member
    hhihihihi, thx mad, your the best :D....i was kinda waiting on this one :D
  • Chris VickersChris Vickers0 Posts: 0Member
    Do you have another address for this, MKF? I tried several times to access the site, and all I got was a message reading, "You don't belong here." I'd swear that wasn't there the last time I was on that sight. That's how I ended up with you lighting trick (some of it, anyway).
    Site is down at the moment, doing some matinence and to avoid broken links while I yank and remove things (well that was the plan a few weeks ago :p) I dunno how you accessed earlier unless it was cache or some old route server that hadnt refreshed, cause I took the site down about 2weeks ago? maybe more.
    Direct link to the plating tut is:
    Tutorials The madFish Way!
    it should be intact.
    btw the "you dont belong here" is a directory placeholder to avoid indexing of the directory. IE cheap way to not allow the contents to be seen. :p

Plan was to revamp the site but I have little motovation for html lately. (busy modeling) The hull tut requires some knowledge in poly editing and basic max functions, if its a issue understanding it I suggest you look for some basic poly edit tuts (ones in max are quite good, thats if your using max) Now to use some of these tuts for other apps youll have to know the app and be creative.

I do plan to provide some sort of dlable pdf, its just my website is a bloody mess so I just have to sit down and clean it up, my hss cleaning takes presidence though. all 2tb of it. ugh. .

MKF-
  • Chris VickersChris Vickers0 Posts: 0Member
    I think it was more a psychological issue than anything...I get impatient sometimes even when I shouldn't. I'll be attempting to go through that tutorial again. Could you supply a link to the entire site over PM so I can bookmark it? I find your tutorials useful as all get out most of the time. It's a matter of patience, even on quick-fix items. And sometimes, I have a sad lack thereof.
    Bit of a necro but since this is oddly a sticky Ill post anyway! I recommend using this tut in conjunction with the knowledge contained in this tut.
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/modeling-tutorials/41652-smooth-panels-app-unspecific.html
    This will allow you to utilize info here across curved surfaces. This is something I totally overlooked when setting this tut up. And thanks to Melak I don't have to !!! hah!
  • DaveKDaveK0 Posts: 0Member
    MadKoiFish, Thanks. I've got a ship to get back to and it needs to be armor plated. No exposed plumbing so Ensign Expendable doesn't get sucked out through a sewage pipe rupture.
    This tut is alive again and up on my blog. See OP post. Hopefully everything is proper and nothing is broke!
    HTTP tutorials are back online!
    http://madfishway.rr.nu
    blog will serve as back up. But I recommend the http since it is the original formatting.
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Thank you!
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    Thanks man!
  • JazzMann121JazzMann1210 Posts: 0Member
    Great tutorial!

having some problems with my cut tool though, keeps stopping cutting when i don't want to. Help? using 3ds max 2010
  • ami23neami23ne0 Posts: 0Member
    tnksssssssss
  • Hilk_v001Hilk_v00187 Posts: 37Member
    Hi, i checked out your site, but the link towards the tutorial seems to be a unavailable.
    Is it a fault on my end or is there maintenance goin on?

i reeealy want to see this tutorial :(
    It is a isp changeover and they complicate the access so much that it is a PITA to gain access again. KIM too this refers to a post from 6 years ago.

I do have a copy paste on my blog.

https://madkoifish.wordpress.com/2010/02/05/mad-hull-plating-the-madfish-way/

A few others exist, not many though. some for profit craphole site might have them as this was part of the reason I stopped writing tuts as they just get stolen.

https://madkoifish.wordpress.com/category/3-d/tutorial-3-d/

Oddly I have not seen some of the earlier replies.

If it is specific to a particular version I cannot really help.

Best advice I can give is to install all hotfixes and patches available to your version. If bugs persist and it is not I think 1 year past the version you use you are stuck with them as max is considered abandonware at that point.
  • Hilk_v001Hilk_v00187 Posts: 37Member
    Hey MKF , thx for the link to your tutorial. This is exactly what ive been breaking my head over, what technique it exactly was since my efforts were too simple ( just new meshes with poly bevel) .

Im hearing a lot of warning and whatnots to do from my teacher so im starting to understand copyright and or just creative rights and such. It take a lot of work and time and i respect that now. Youll have no worries from me. :thumb:
    I would classify the plating tut as a box modeling technique or style. Some will detach the panels as separate objects as well. This was done mostly in the past as we did not have the tools to correct issues such as hidden edges pinching or spanning over visible edges. Re triangulate or manually turning edges never used to exist. Heck editable poly did not exist at one point.

If you are at a stage of just mushing shapes together Id look into sub division modeling, with concentration on poly flow and using smoothing groups and edge loops to control the division smoothing and tricks in box modeling. I really have no remaining tuts that touch on these in much depth but there should be some online or on youtube. I do have modeling sessions on youtube that might help I dunno heh.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Madkoifish/
    Anyhow those are the 2 biggies for hard modeling. If you want to animate organics or model organics you will need to delve deeper into things.

Another good trick is to look at a wireframe and try to think how it was made. Key tip for how I model is I start out with a box or cyl. I do not lathe splines unless there is a absolute need (IE constructing a exact duplicate of a profiled shape)

They should show some subdiv and little tricks in box modeling like bridging edges, detaching and boleaning bits etc. It might at first seem like a bit of wtf but if you are on max it should click in time. If your using another package the translation to it might take a bit longer as you learn the ui.

Oh no worries I have no issue with individuals using the tuts it is just people taking them to profit from that irks me as it deters others from making free tuts. So if you as a individual wanted to say save this as a pdf for easier take with format be my guest. (though really these tuts are fairly simple) It is part of why I switched to those image based mini tuts as they are far easier to "take with"

Stealing techniques and tricks is part of the game.
    Hilk_v001