Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Local TutorialThe 'End-All-Be-All 2D Human Anatomy Tutorial Thread'

TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
edited May 2008 in Tutorials #1
Ok everybody. I see how everyone is complaining how they can't draw hands, not to mention the rest of the human figure- WELL SHUCKS, PA!!! I will make some quicky tutorials on basic laws of proportion as well as foreshortening of the human body and all the jazzy stuff. The first tutorial will be with hands, so turn off your 3D app and pull out your stylus/pencil, cuz dudes/dudettes, your hand is now the rendering engine and your brain the 3D app... YOU'RE IN MY WORLD NOW [Evil laugh] MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! [/Evil laugh]
humananatomytutorialhanwq8.jpg
Ok, I was a little late, but I got the new tutorial made. It's on feet! Hope this helps some people out. I'll go back to feet again later after I've made some more tuts of other parts of the body.
humananatomytutorialfoodr7.jpg
Post edited by Tovette on

• Captain J. WesleyCaptain J. Wesley0 Posts: 0Member
    coolness!
    I will definatly be using this :) I learned how to draw hands from a 'draw easy manga' book, so needless to say, I'm not that good :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    ^ Perpective to you and me. :p

And thanks for these tutorials, there going to be very helpful Tovette :thumb: :D

(and dude, stop sounding like a old teacher who's trying to impress his young "hip" class :p ;) :lol: )
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    coolness!
    I will definatly be using this :) I learned how to draw hands from a 'draw easy manga' book, so needless to say, I'm not that good :p

OH GOD. Yeah those books aren't really the best way to learn realistic anatomy from. They teach you a 'style' but it's best to learn from life and learn the rules of the human figure because after you know the rules you can then bend them to create your style.
    Choo1701 wrote: »
    And thanks for these tutorials, there going to be very helpful Tovette :thumb: :D

You're welcome. This site is full of people who love art and love to make it but seem to have some trouble with the human figure. Hopefully these tutorials will help them make better stuff and feel good about it. If I get some feedback on it then perhaps I'll do tuts on other things than just anatomy.
    Choo1701 wrote: »
    (and dude, stop sounding like a old teacher who's trying to impress his young "hip" class :p ;) :lol: )

Har har. Smartass. You stay after class.
    well, I was in fifth grade a t the time... I didn't know any better!
    well, I was in fifth grade a t the time... I didn't know any better!

Yeah, I hear ya. I used to trace the **** out of stuff. While tracing has a dubious reputation akin to purgery, it's actually an excellent way to train your hand to comunicate with your eye.

Alot of new artists have these great images in their heads of something cool and then when they go to draw it, the picture comes out looking like grand-mal seizure during an acid trip. The reason for that is your brain can't form an image in perfect clarity, just large 'brush' strokes of what your image is, and also it's a bit of your hand not communicating with your brain correctly. With practice that will improve though.
    Thats reassuring. I'm going to assume that you are a lot older than me, and that I have plenty of time to catch up. :p
  • B.J.B.J.1 Posts: 0Member
    I don't want to hijack your tutorial thread, but I had a couple of references that I've found immensely useful when designing spaces, and I'm sure others will find them useful for your kind of work. These are the overall proportions for 95th percentile male:
    personfrontts0.th.jpgpersonsidewx4.th.jpg
    I just wish I could remember where I originally found these! :D
    wow. thats really complicated.
  • RamielRamiel5 Posts: 0Member
    Nice idea for a tut, Tovette... If only my Enlgish was good enough this could have been a tutorial made by me!:flippy:
    :lol: ;)
    Ramiel wrote: »
    Nice idea for a tut, Tovette... If only my Enlgish was good enough this could have been a tutorial made by me!:flippy:
    :lol: ;)

Hehe silly. :p

I'm going to start a new anatomy tut soon everybody!! Stay tuned.
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    Great tut. For those looking for more excellent figure-drawing info, hunt down the books written by Andrew Loomis. Yes, they're fifty-sixty years old, but, yes, they are still great. If you are good with Google, they are findable online (they are out of print and very very expensive).
  • LarsenLarsen171 Posts: 0Member
    Great idea man... the basic proportions aren't really that hard to learn, and it helps alot... But one has to have 'THE EYE' Like shortening the hand there mate, the touch! That's the hard part!

Kepp 'em coming, I'm deffenatly gonna try these out:thumb:
    Jedilaw wrote: »
    Great tut. For those looking for more excellent figure-drawing info, hunt down the books written by Andrew Loomis. Yes, they're fifty-sixty years old, but, yes, they are still great. If you are good with Google, they are findable online (they are out of print and very very expensive).

I agree with Jedilaw. Loomis is a badass and his technique is quite classical but allows for a bit of conventional aesthetic with the lines.
    Well, Loomis is definitely a very straightforward, even conservative artist. There's nothing much impressionistic in his work, it's all strictly representational. Personally, I think classical technique is great as a foundation. If you want to deviate from that once you know it, fine. Breaking with conventions you understand is one thing. Never mastering them in the first place is quite another (that would be me, which is why I model instead of draw).

Not that I'm at all suggesting that you are in that category. Your chops are obvious. :thumb:
    New tut has been moved to the 1st post.
    Great work again, Tovette. For the sake of simplicity, it might be a good idea to edit your first post and add this image and the images from your later tuts, so it's all available in one big post up front. Just an idea.
    Oh yeah... I was wondering how I was gonne ensure that no one missed a tut. Good I idea!
    Nice work;)
  • mental|platemental|plate333 Posts: 0Member
    Crap...i forgot to comment on this....
    well as i sad it is the only one tut about human anatomy that i understand.....thx mate...and keep them coming

For Ramiel:
    When the heck are you going to continue your textures making tutorial?...I learned everything i know about photoshop form thouse tuts!.....
    For Ramiel:
    When the heck are you going to continue your textures making tutorial?...I learned everything i know about photoshop form thouse tuts!.....

As soon as my real-life will be less busy!:D
    I still don't know which tut I should do next... If you have any ideas let me know (via PM;) )
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    if you want to help my little poor person, some sketches about muscles

anatomy is the thing that handicapes me most in my work :s
    im good at hard surface, even semiorganic, but characters have always been my big weakness (yeah, vray too)

edit : sorry for the necropost. didnt see the dates