Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Blender layer question

[Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
in blender, is there a way to have the same object in every layer instead of moving it from layer to layer?

thanks

K.
Post edited by Unknown User on

• SphynxSphynx195 Posts: 461Member
    I suppose the first question is, why? What have you got in mind?

You can share objects between scenes, and you could pretty much simulate sharing objects between layers by doing a linked copy using alt-D, but it really depends on why you want to have the same object in multiple layers - are you looking at an edit-time purpose, or a render-time purpose?
  • ernestoernesto0 Posts: 0Member
    If you want work with libraries look Blender Library Script -- Introduction
    that`s a library-script for blender.

Ciao
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    im just wanting a person for scale to be in every layer so i dont have to keep moving it from layer to layer. It would also be nice if i moved it in one layer, and then it moved through all the other layers.
  • BerticusBerticus171 Posts: 63Member
    Try using instances. Just have a single vert object in all the layers tied to your guy.

If you would like I can throw together a demo blend for you to look at.
    -albert
    that'd be great bert, cus i have no idea what your talking about.
  • B.J.B.J.1 Posts: 0Member
    Why would you need it in more than one layer? Can't you just put it on its own layer and leave that one visible while working in another?
  • AnthonyAnthony0 Posts: 0Member
    The short answer: yes.

Select the object, press 'M', then shift-click on as many little boxes as needed, click OK.
    B.J. wrote: »
    Why would you need it in more than one layer? Can't you just put it on its own layer and leave that one visible while working in another?

i separate my meshes into the layers, so i parts dont get in the way and so it doesnt slow the view up.:thumb:

thanks anthony, worked exactly how i wanted it to.:thumb:
  • BerticusBerticus171 Posts: 63Member
    It didn't work like I thought it would (the dupliverts). Apparently the parenting system does not carry across layers, and if it does I have no idea what the process looks like.

Sorry mate [edit]I mean sorry I couldn't help[/edit], glad to see that you did get it figured out.
    -albert
    Berticus wrote: »
    It didn't work like I thought it would (the dupliverts). Apparently the parenting system does not carry across layers, and if it does I have no idea what the process looks like.

Sorry mate [edit]I mean sorry I couldn't help[/edit], glad to see that you did get it figured out.
    -albert

no problem! i solved my problem and i didnt make you write a mini tut:thumb: