Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Local TutorialStar trek warp tutorial (In hipnovision)

SkynetSkynet0 Posts: 0Member
edited January 2007 in Tutorials #1
Ok this i not realy a tutorial ... just the scene in max.
It's complete with coloring for the trails, u have 2 cameras set ups:
camera01 for the side view (notice that for the side view u may need to adjust the particle birth rate to a smaller number) and camera02 for front flight.
U may need to reduce the particle size too. That is up to you too.
All you have to o is to go to video post and render !!! Small and simple effect, it takes only 2-5 minutes to render 300 frames.
If by any chance I forgot to include the material just add gradient ramp (or gradient ... can't remember) and set it to circular and the 3 colors to RGB.

Simple.

P.s. max 7 minimum needed ... prior versions don't allow loading ...
Post edited by Skynet on

• SkynetSkynet0 Posts: 0Member
    And please review
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    just a sec.. you made a warp effect animation or cool background? just wondering.
  • jasongodwinjasongodwin0 Posts: 0Member
    hey skynet, looks really really really good:D thanks for sharing with us.
    i know alot of n00bs and people still have no idea how to really make one. i am still learning how to make a really good one, and by looking at yours and studying yours i believe i can improve on mine :)
    thanks once again
    jason
    It's a what you want ... you can either render it as a single image or an animation.

Well basicly I'm a n00b too ... just have a lot of good ideas ... the straight path to something is not allways the best ... what you need to do is study the particle array in detail ... It's no big deal and I don't think I need to write an 10 sentence tutorial for something this simple that you can figure out how to make in about 10 minutes.

And again don't forget to render it with video post ... It needs the glow filter to make a diference :D
    By the way tell me if u find this usefull ... And to kill all traces of doubth ... this MAX scene is an warp animation made with particles including the color disociation of the light traveling at high speeds (RGB).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Could someone please do a conversion for older versions? Or do a tutorial? I've only got Max 5... :(
    Borgscan wrote: »
    Could someone please do a conversion for older versions? Or do a tutorial? I've only got Max 5... :(

Why don't you ask the guy that posted ... oh wait thats me ... :devil:

Can't help you there pal ... I only use max 7 and even though it hasn't changed much from max 5 the save system is a bit weird ... I mean u can convert from an previos version to new ut not new to old ... and there even isn't much diference between the version ... but hey it's ony marketing strategy
    Thanks for the reply Skynet. I've got one that I've used but its not real good. Any chance of getting a screen shot from you to see if yours is better? I'd say it is... ;)

I think I'll have to try and get Max 7...
    well i'll be away for a while ... so if any reader can post a screen ... please do so ...
    I got a good effect (best I've had) using Parray, a sphere (as the Parray object), an SDeflector (between the camera and Parray), and a wind force behind the Parray to stop the paricles from going in all directions and just to go towards the camera.

Then a gradient colour map to give it the colours. Some image blur. and it looked just like DS9/Voyager style warp. The only problem is with the wind force it speeds the particles up too much. I fiddle with the settings but if I set it too low it doesn't force them in the direction of the camera properly.

Any tips would be fantastic? When animated the warp effect is just too fast because of the wind...
    I like this effect, it'll come in very handy... :D

I have slightly altered it though, I changed the Red to a gradient so that I had the top of the streak in White, then Red, and so-on, if you want I can post it, but it'll be for Max8 only...
  • I did the same thing 2cvbloke. The DS9/Voyager trails have the white, red, orange etc. The TNG doesn't. Actually the Voyager trails look smoother than the DS9 ones.

Btw, FINALLY getting Max 7 this week. :D
    Borgscan wrote: »
    I got a good effect (best I've had) using Parray, a sphere (as the Parray object), an SDeflector (between the camera and Parray), and a wind force behind the Parray to stop the paricles from going in all directions and just to go towards the camera.

Then a gradient colour map to give it the colours. Some image blur. and it looked just like DS9/Voyager style warp. The only problem is with the wind force it speeds the particles up too much. I fiddle with the settings but if I set it too low it doesn't force them in the direction of the camera properly.

Any tips would be fantastic? When animated the warp effect is just too fast because of the wind...

Why the hell do you complicate things so much ... sphere sdeflector wind ... dude just use an plane as your emitor and make your particle array emit particles from all the surface ...
  • Ahhh! Thank you! Like you said, its so obvious... lol
    No update ... just to bring it out in front :)
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    thanks, I've been wanting this for awhile.