Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DU.S.S. Kelvin

PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
Up until now, I've mostly used other people's computer models when I've wanted to make something. Making a computer model from scratch just wasn't in my skill set.

I'm trying to get better at it. So I started on one of the Kelvin. It's ""simple"" enough that I don't fear it will be beyond my ability, while also challenging enough to learn new techniques and practice. Here is the top superstructure completed so far.

xNk4WGW.jpg

ETNPxKW.jpg

TrTaWaV.jpg

B9CSn8G.jpg
112911.jpg
Tagged:

• elitewolverineelitewolverine171 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good, clean lines from what I can see, no weird connecting parts that distorts the mesh. What program you using?
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    Looking good, clean lines from what I can see, no weird connecting parts that distorts the mesh. What program you using?

3ds max
  • trekkitrekki947 Posts: 1,400Member
    Very nice start. Which time line do you take?
    Very nice start. Which time line do you take?
    Oh sorry, that's the bridge. Nice :thumb:
    Started UV mapping the bridge. The most fun part, right?

Xj8Z52z.jpg

YaFlrcn.jpg

pTZrXy6.jpg

Fd23x73.jpg
  • floodcasso2floodcasso2259 Posts: 124Member
    magnificent work! Love the detail.
    Deflector dish complete. I must say, I am not a fan of modeling greebles.

aZpcLtu.jpg

0w8nh6s.jpg

ZivGE6z.jpg

t2MFZxw.jpg

xlxq32a.jpg
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2014 Central OhioPosts: 1,245Member
    VERY nice. I would have gotten frustrated about halfway through that.
    WoW !!!:)
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Looking great. :thumb:
    Dish shaded and textured.

SQlAjAi.jpg

VWNBjiF.jpg

tkfW7g1.jpg

jLfo9ca.jpg
    Got the major saucer forms modeled. I think next I will probably work on the bussard collector. It's pretty complex. Like a turbine engine.

OdPbZFc.jpg

ARKwEW4.jpg

LrkklG0.jpg
    Lawd have mercy those back nacelle fins were a bitch to model and blend smoothly into that nacelle cylinder without pinching or distortion.

8at5t5K.jpg

3g6jPTa.jpg

h1tOEFn.jpg

kxYpWPl.jpg
    this looks very good !
  • ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    Very nice work!
    Got the major hull form of the nacelle finished, and started to detail the bussard.

O499mNr.jpg

TdOPv7W.jpg

gGl7ujy.jpg
  • ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    This mesh looks like it's gonna be a beauty when it's done.
    3d modelers, I got a question if you can help me figure it out. I have an area that needs holding edges to keep a sharp panel line (marked in red). On the other side, I have a large cylinder that needs to smooth properly, so it can only have one edge running out (green). My solution for edge loop termination (blue) produces pinching and folding of the geometry after subdivision, as you can see. Any suggestions?

5iBmOTs.jpg

eGc2hVf.jpg

UQyrleP.jpg
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9790 Posts: 5,322Member
    [COLOR=""#FF0000""]posting this here as f3d is giving me grief[/COLOR]

Placing any edge on a curve will distort no matter what you do. It sees that panel line as a fixed length and width so when you divide it it is a fixed detail so it will stretch around it. It acts like a bone in a tent. You can bodge it to appear like it isnt affecting the roundness but there will always be some level of distortion there.

here is what I think you have above. I am not sure why you have the 5 sided poly on the panel loop endpoint with the one loop radiating in the outer groove. (red in my image) As on it's own it would be a quad. Now my sample is a bit lazy as loops are not straightened out all pretty and are a bit exaggerated. Using 3 iterations on the base mesh. Removing the red loop for me resolves in a smooth result albeit there is a hitch due to the panel acting like a spar.
    subd-001.png?w=300

subd-001a.png?w=300
    subdiv with that edge removed.
    subd-001b.png?w=300
    Both seem to smooth OK sans any folds. Might be some loose or doubled verts in there. It could be I only have one panel groove and adding in the others causes something so maybe increasing the geometery in the outer rim so you can distribute all those edges along the rim would avoid any pinching.

Like so.
    subd-002.png?w=300

subd-002a.png?w=300

Personally I would leave the panels and any crossing geo for after you collapse the subdiv and model them in minimizing poly count and any possible distortion the uvwing will gain in division. I am guessing your doing the unwrap on the base mesh then applying the subdiv ontop. Anyhow I could not reproduce the pinching and pulling in your example.
    Comco
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9790 Posts: 5,322Member
    Lets see if I can attach the file. I saved it out to max 2010. I am sure your using something much newer than I am so it should open. Likely will vomit errors as I have preset backdrops etc.

also sample of the smoothing groups applied. this is a way to tighten curves without having to use multiple loops just make sure the smoothing group falls on a edge that is not changing the geometery or you'll get a hard edge in the smoothed surface.

subd-002b.png?w=400

Anyhow hope this sorta helps. What you have SHOULD be working unless there is some loose vert or edge in the mesh.
    Comco
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Lets see if I can attach the file. I saved it out to max 2010. I am sure your using something much newer than I am so it should open. Likely will vomit errors as I have preset backdrops etc.

also sample of the smoothing groups applied. this is a way to tighten curves without having to use multiple loops just make sure the smoothing group falls on a edge that is not changing the geometery or you'll get a hard edge in the smoothed surface.

subd-002b.png?w=400

Anyhow hope this sorta helps. What you have SHOULD be working unless there is some loose vert or edge in the mesh.

Thank you so much for that post, and the one before it. I will attempt those tonight. I am at work right now, so I can't really play with for about 10 hours. I really appreciate it.
    Back of nacelle complete.

JjX5kZz.jpg
    OTdDran.jpg
    KyQyUIX.jpg
    qjYaFwH.jpg
    Lizzy777Guerrilla[Deleted User]
  • gerb200gerb200176 Posts: 114Member
    Good lord, this is absolutely beautiful. Following this with bated breath.
    Are you still going on?
    greetings
    trekki wrote: »
    Are you still going on?
    greetings

Yes, I will be going back to this. The person I get reference from was busy for about 3 weeks, and couldn't get back to me. I needed reference of the shuttlebay. I have that reference now, but got sidelined on another project while I was waiting for it. I'll swing back around to finish up the Kelvin.
    thanks, I'm looking forward to it =)
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Amazing work!
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    edited April 2019 #29
    I'd like to see a kelvin-prize, perhaps with a new-build secondary hull. It has a great bridge.
    Post edited by publiusr on
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    publiusr wrote: »
    I'd like to see a kelvin-prize, perhaps with a new-build secondary hull. It has a great bridge.

ZsnzQyv.jpg
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.