Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• Rusty0918Rusty0918267 Posts: 453Member
    I'm with Starscream on this one. I assume that they were used on newer ships like the Sovereign-class (in the books it states the Enterprise-E did indeed have them). Not quite sure about the Defiant-class, but I'm pretty sure the Prometheus-class would have 'em.

I know my refit Galaxy has them.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,565Member
    That’s nice. This ship doesn’t have them. ;)
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    The MSD looks great, @Rekkert! It's also nice to see again you're using your more refined version of the FC/INS LCARS color palette (the versions in those movies being pretty garish in comparison to yours).
    That MSD looks great, as do all the LCARS. I love the way this bridge has come together and evolved. I think it looks more spacious than the GEN version, personally, mostly because there’s no side sections cutting into any ramp space. I also loved how well adding the wood trim to the ceiling struts worked... I love the way that looks! I think now that I see how this has turned out, when I design the Quasar’s “refit” bridge, I’ll definitely be going with the lower ceiling height of the Odyssey, as seen here, instead of the much higher TNG ceiling.

I definitely agree on both the wooden beams and the issue with the GEN bridge (personally I'd love to fix that and a couple other minor issues on that bridge one day...), too.

On that note, there are a few things I'd adjust to give this bridge a more unified look, since at the moment it seems to lack a coherent identity as either a Galaxy-class bridge, or as being from a specific point in time (eg you've got TNG labels, colors and plant-ons, vs VOY doors, vs Defiant access panels, vs Bradbury consoles, vs FC perimeter stations, etc). The result is something of a kludge, even with @Rekkert's careful modifications tying some of the elements together. With a few tweaks you could develop a solid identity. :)
    I definitely agree that the overall decor could be a bit more unified, but, in an odd way, this actually fits the story better. The Frontier is the very first “new” ship built after the Big Borg Battle by Starfleet - a battle in which out of a fleet of 500 Federation starships, only 12 made it out. Starfleet would simply not have the resources instantly on hand to build a completely new ship from the ground up. The Frontier was built from one of the Galaxy-Class hulls already in use, the interior spaces filled up and revamped as best as could be done, to bring the ship up to “complete” spec, and her bridge module installed with a ton of mission-specific equipment tailored to her individual mission of sailing into the complete unknown. As you will see soon, she has 4 dedicated science stations on the bridge. Science IV is an EMMA station (Emergency Multi-Modal Asset) that can be reconfigured to function as an additional Mission Ops, Medical Ops, or Strategic Cartography. Starfleet made the ship look as nice as it could, knowing it would be the first impression the new races of Andromeda would have of the UFP, while also cramming as much mission-specific tech into her bridge as they could. So yes, she’s a new ship, but she’s also a bit of a rush job, lol.
    edited April 2019 #1926
    A rush job I can buy, but the "lack of resources" idea is something I suspect you're looking at from the limited perspective of C21st technology, not the late C24th where they're using industrial replicators to fabricate the majority of components and entire modules en masse.

That said, I can certainly understand why you're choosing to do it that way -- and it's hardly the first time the science has taken a backseat to "dramatic necessity" (or dramatic frivolity, thankyouverymuch Riker's bloody Joystick :lol: )

The EMMA though I have to say seems quite redundant, since LCARS stations are by their very nature reconfigurable (as was indicated back in the TNG writers' bible, as well as the Technical Manual IIRC). It might make more sense to have the station specifically designated as an Auxiliary / Support console, to be reconfigured as necessary whenever any situation calls for it. :+1:
    Post edited by Starscream on
    Well, you’re looking at the lack of resources issue as it pertains to one ship, which is wrong. If a fleet suffers such a massive loss as the one I described above, you wouldn’t “waste” (for lack of a better term) the resources you DO have on a ship that’s not intended to be immediately sent back out into the field, or on the front. Lines. The Frontier had a mission that would have her on extended detached duty, so the resources Starfleet did have would mostly be given priority to restoring the active fleet, replacing the ships that were lost in the Big Borg Battle, so they could be sent out to defend key sectors of Federation space, and back onto the front lines of combat. That’s where the logistical priorities would be.
    No, I'm looking at it from the perspective that the available materials can quite readily be broken down via replicator system for re-use. And with a Federation that spans hundreds-thousands of star systems, today's writers often find it hard to conceive of just how much in the way of available resources that would entail. ;)

Consider: if you had a ship that you know will need to be intensely self-reliant and reliable due to its situation far from Fed space, logic dictates you'd equip it with the absolute best technologies you can muster, with as many redundant systems as possible (remembering that it's one ship, and you have the resources of an entire interplanetary alliance to call upon for the fleet rebuild). Meanwhile the immediate policing duties within Federation space would be taken up by older, "lesser" and where necessary reactivated mothball ships, so as to free the more capable vessels up for larger concerns (as happened with the previous situations post Wolf 359 and during the Dominion War).
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    edited April 2019 #1929
    Keep in mind, "the best" tech often has to make room for reliability. There are countless examples through history of designs that needed to be super reliable, and thus don't have the latest tech, because by definition it's not as well understood and there aren't many people who know how to use it. The old Liberty ships from WW2 immediately come to mind.

Several real navy vessels prepared for long term missions away from friendly ports are outfitted with older tech, because it has a higher reliability rating. This is true for all kinds of tech, from the operating systems to the engines used. Submarines still employ acid-lead batteries as their main source of electrical power, despite lithium-ion having been available, cheaper, lighter, and more energy-dense for a long while now; simply because they are more reliable.

On the specific case of the bio neural gel packs, even on Voyager they suggested swapping them for isolinear circuitry several times through the series because of the problems they had with them.

As for the bridge's aesthetic, that also cropped up on my thread on TrekBBS. For a counterargument as to why IMO that's not an issue, I offer the same explanation I offered there:

While I do agree that it's "all over the place" rather than following just one canon ship motif, it really isn't much of a stretch if you think about the timeframe. The Nemesis aspects were first seen in First Contact, and that's in 2373, just 7 years after TNG season 3. We saw ships launched 3 years later than that using TNG style consoles (the USS Sao Paulo), plus we've seen ships with all sort of color combinations in between (hell, the Odyssey had lilac chairs!).

Starfleet seems to leave a lot of design decisions up to each construction crew (or maybe it's Captain's discretion). We've seen a lot of ships launched the very same year with completely different styles, like Voyager and the Enterprise-E (they were designed at different times IRL, but due to the Ent-E's shakedown time mentioned in First Contact, their canon launch dates are pretty much the same). Plus we've seen a lot of reuse of "old style" elements in newer ships, The Ent-E reuses several elements from the original Enterprise refit and the Excelsior bridges, including those light sconces that were all over the ship. The "brand new, only 3 people know how to fly it" Prometheus has an almost 100 years old bridge module with a slight redress.

So, even if the brief for this design wasn't "let's copy this canon ship's style to the letter", I'd say it still fits rather well in the early 2370's era.
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • ViperViper1686 Posts: 717Administrator
    edited April 2019 #1930
    What you are describing is similar to the explanation Star Trek Online gives. Ships and uniforms in the 25th century can be any way the captain chooses as long as it's from the previous approved list. This is also something Doug Drexler describes as happening in the Enterprise J. The tech is advanced enough that the uniform and interiors can be anything the crew wants.
    Post edited by Viper on
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Keep in mind, "the best" tech often has to make room for reliability. There are countless examples through history of designs that needed to be super reliable, and thus don't have the latest tech, because by definition it's not as well understood and there aren't many people who know how to use it. The old Liberty ships from WW2 immediately come to mind.

I think you're conflating "best" with "experimental" and that wasn't my point. ;) The point was that resource scarcity isn't a valid reason for what Bolian describes - ie, a hastily slapped together bridge because they were short on components and time. If you have a ship that's going to be out on its own for an indeterminate amount of time you're going to put as much effort and resource (yes, with fully redundant systems) into that ship as possible. The cookie-cutter ships will be built practically on autopilot in the meantime. And I don't deny that isolinears would be utilised; though I strongly doubt that'd be all, since by that late date the BNGPs would be tried and tested - not "new" tech.
    As for the bridge's aesthetic....For a counterargument as to why IMO that's not an issue, I offer the same explanation I offered there:

I saw that. It comes back to the same point we've gone over before: Just because the production teams were forced to cut corners, doesn't mean that their results are rules to adhere to. We're not governed by the same budgets, time, manpower or studio politics, so there's no need to limit our imaginations to what was seen onscreen -- otherwise 3D starship modellers would all be trying to reproduce the filming models exactly, rather than embellishing them and bringing them to life. :)
    The Nemesis aspects were first seen in First Contact, and that's in 2373, just 7 years after TNG season 3. We saw ships launched 3 years later than that using TNG style consoles (the USS Sao Paulo), plus we've seen ships with all sort of color combinations in between (hell, the Odyssey had lilac chairs!).

There are instances of overlap, yes (and you well know I advocate some overlap, too!). But we're seeing several eras together here, hence it's a bit more jarring, and intrinsically makes it harder to determine what timeframe the bridge is supposed to be from.
    Starfleet seems to leave a lot of design decisions up to each construction crew (or maybe it's Captain's discretion).

Logic dictates you'd avoid major changes made to suit the whims of capricious SF Captains. Standardisation of equipment, labelling and layouts is inarguably done for good reason IRL.
    We've seen a lot of ships launched the very same year with completely different styles, like Voyager and the Enterprise-E....Plus we've seen a lot of reuse of "old style" elements in newer ships, The Ent-E reuses several elements from the original Enterprise refit and the Excelsior bridges, including those light sconces that were all over the ship. The "brand new, only 3 people know how to fly it" Prometheus has an almost 100 years old bridge module with a slight redress.

Let's not bother with the E-E: They royally screwed the pooch with that very obviously cheap set approach in FC. An entirely new ship, on film no less, and they resorted to scavenging leftovers to build it. :expressionless: The Prometheus bridge meanwhile, should -for exactly the reason you indicate- be taken with a Pluto-sized grain of salt...
    So, even if the brief for this design wasn't "let's copy this canon ship's style to the letter", I'd say it still fits rather well in the early 2370's era.

Oh, I'm not suggesting copying another ship outright. I'm saying that copying too many elements from too many design families gives it less of an identity. I feel your approach where you started to unify various elements was the right direction to go in. :)
    edited April 2019 #1932
    Starscream wrote: »
    I think you're conflating "best" with "experimental" and that wasn't my point. ;) The point was that resource scarcity isn't a valid reason for what Bolian describes - ie, a hastily slapped together bridge because they were short on components and time. If you have a ship that's going to be out on its own for an indeterminate amount of time you're going to put as much effort and resource (yes, with fully redundant systems) into that ship as possible. The cookie-cutter ships will be built practically on autopilot in the meantime. And I don't deny that isolinears would be utilised; though I strongly doubt that'd be all, since by that late date the BNGPs would be tried and tested

Oh not at all, and I agree that resource scarcity wouldn't be an issue in the 24th century. However, technical expertise would be, as well as long term reliability. As mentioned above, the example of submarines still using lead-acid batteries come to mind.

As someone who used to work on telecommunications, there are a ton of super old standards and equipment still being used on the enterprise sector simply because they are far more reliable and secure than modern technology if you're transmitting sensitive data. I've seen several banks that purposely leave their LAN core using ancient equipment with coaxial connections simply because of how much more reliable it is when it comes to doing transactions, without having to worry about parity bits or any of that. "New and flashy" is great when you have to sell something to consumers, as you expect them to buy a new one years later. But military or enterprise grade is usually at least a generation behind on the most sensitive stuff, because reliability and long term support is far more important.

Given all that, I can see a ship that's prepared for a long journey with no resupplies would rather use true and tested methods, with far more available experts and bibliography. Even if it would cost them the same to produce both, there's a greater chance of survival using the older technology, as catastrophic failure is far less likely.
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    edited April 2019 #1933
    I won’t get deeper into an argument about this , as I’d rather get back on topic of the actual renders and whatnot, but in the matter of resource scarcity... consider that even with the seemingly unlimited supplies of materials that could be generated via industrial replicators, Starfleet STILL had to resort to using ships haphazardly cobbled together from bits of various other older ship classes and parts during the Dominon War. Why? Because the demands of the war made it near impossible to keep up with the Dominion’s ability to build ships at such a fast rate, a fact that General Martok himself even commented on in an episode. And also remember that after Wolf 359, Commander Shelby said that they’d have the fleet back up “in less than a year”, and that was with a loss of only 39 starships, so if we had lost over 400, or the amount we lost to the Dominion, it’d take a lot longer than a year to replenish numbers like that.

Post edited by BolianAdmiral on
  • maranmaran178 Posts: 39Member
    I’d still like to think of something to fill up at least a bit of all that empty space on those rounded corners of the front side walls... maybe a TNG style vertical light strip?

I was thinking the same thing, it's a bit of a large empty area compared to the awesome level of details everywhere.
    Maybe some nice wooden handrails? It is near a step and Starfleet does love to carry old people around XD
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Starscream wrote: »
    I think you're conflating "best" with "experimental" and that wasn't my point. ;) The point was that resource scarcity isn't a valid reason for what Bolian describes - ie, a hastily slapped together bridge because they were short on components and time.

Oh not at all, and I agree that resource scarcity wouldn't be an issue in the 24th century. However, technical expertise would be, as well as long term reliability. As mentioned above, the example of submarines still using lead-acid batteries come to mind.

As someone who used to work on telecommunications<snip>

You're veering into the tech again, so I'll say this: It's a mistake to force modern day perspectives on a world 400yrs in the future. Basic rules still apply, but we're talking about a galactic alliance where the extent of safety standards, equipment testing, simulations, and AI analysis of field data would be absolutely unfathomable compared to modern day - and applied several orders of magnitude more adeptly. The amount of time it takes for us to consider something to be "tried and tested" in this day and age would be substantially reduced by the late C24th, when you consider both the analytical resources at their disposal, and on how vast a scale any new technologies would be implemented.
    Given all that, I can see a ship that's prepared for a long journey with no resupplies would rather use true and tested methods, with far more available experts and bibliography. Even if it would cost them the same to produce both, there's a greater chance of survival using the older technology, as catastrophic failure is far less likely.

WRT catastrophic failure, see above. That said, I'm not advocating experimental, "flashy" technology; I never was. BNGPs aside, I was talking primarily about the visual aspects of the bridge and Bolian's reasoning behind them. On that issue, technical expertise is inherently less relevant, since not only is the Frontier not a brand new design, but also because there'd be a far greater element of AI support involved, and existing interior templates available for the design of new vessels at this point.

Would I consider BNGPs etc to be tried+tested tech based on all of the above by the time Frontier ships out? Sure, but that really is besides the point when I'm talking about the bridge itself! :lol:

@BolianAdmiral Shelby's statement that less than 40 ships could be replaced within a year clearly indicated confidence in their existing construction assets' ability to either churn out new ships, or supplement the fleet with refit mothballed vessels. Now, consider how many more vessels were either destroyed or severely damaged by first the Klingons and then the Dominion. Combined, Shelby and Martok's statements indicate SF never bolstered their manufacturing assets before the war, because there was never a perceived need to do so. ;)

As far as the rounded exits are concerned, they might fit in better with angled frames similar to the E-E buttresses Rekkert has embedded in the aft wall. :)

@Rekkert did you want those Defiant refs sending?
  • JMP11JMP1151 Posts: 130Member
    She’s a fine looking ship for the era. :) My two cents for this bridge would be to recess the Defiant wall panels and the TNG brig panels into the wall slightly, like they were on the Defiant. I would also be tempted to request the glass panel display from “Parallels” seen behind Lieutenant Wesley Crusher added behind the horseshoe. Just because that aft area seems a bit too open, if that can be a thing. =)
    We considered the glass panel from “Parallels”, but IMO, it made the bridge look way too busy. Plus, that style of glass panel made it look more like the bridge of a warship, which is the exact opposite of what I’m going for with the Frontier.
    @Starscream: Yeah, those are some fair and valid points, I guess we'll just have different opinions in this matter. The fact that I always found BNGP super gimmicky and silly doesn't help. :p

Oh, and definitely send over those Defiant references! I thought I had asked you for them before.

I've finish work on the tactical console, adding in a black stripe across it and the LCARS displays.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-27.jpg?1554444695
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-28.jpg?1554444698
    Lizzy777
    Oh, damn, those tactical LCARS and display are absolutely beautiful!
    Damn, those lcars are indeed beautiful. Very nice job :)

BTW, I know it's consistent with the shows, and it looks pretty, but you'd think they'd have found a solution for anti glare on the screens by the 23rd century :tongue:
  • JMP11JMP1151 Posts: 130Member
    We considered the glass panel from “Parallels”, but IMO, it made the bridge look way too busy. Plus, that style of glass panel made it look more like the bridge of a warship, which is the exact opposite of what I’m going for with the Frontier.

Good to know, it sounds like it may work well on my next commission request.
    @maran: Sorry, I glossed over your comment between all the chat haha. That's a good idea, what do you think about it @BolianAdmiral?

I've started to work on the side LCARS, bringing some over from the Challenger and tweaking them when necessary.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-29.jpg?1554585243
    Lizzy777
    The LCARS are looking good, as always! Regarding maran’s comment, I do think those areas could use something, but as it is now, I think we should leave them bare... the bridge is already really packed full of stuff, and I don’t want to risk going full overload with clutter for the sake of filling up space. You’re welcome to test some ideas and show them to me, though, if you feel like it.
    Started work on the new chairs. I've done the base, and hope to start on the actual chair bits later today. The stand itself is very short when compared to the old one, so the new chairs will stand a lot lower.

The rough TNG beige material doesn't seem to make this shape as much justice as the Ent-E metallic material does though.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-30.jpg?1554752195
    ashleytingerLizzy777
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    edited April 2019 #1945
    Viper wrote: »
    Damn, those lcars are indeed beautiful. Very nice job :)

BTW, I know it's consistent with the shows, and it looks pretty, but you'd think they'd have found a solution for anti glare on the screens by the 23rd century :tongue:

True, the displays are also too dim in this work IMHO. I'd turn them up a bit which will eliminate a lot of the glare and he could also turn down the shininess a bit.
    Post edited by sorceress21 on
    Rekkert, if you want to make the base/stands metal, go ahead.
    @sorceress21: As Viper mentioned, it's consistent with the look of the shows. Plus don't forget that this is supposed to be future tech, I'd like to imagine than in 300 years we'd be able to come up with a screen that doesn't need to be as bright and doesn't damage our eyes so much. ;)

@BolianAdmiral: I'll experiment with some colors once they're completely done. :)

Still some work to be done, tweaking the shapes a bit and finishing the armrests, but they're well underway. They do look rather flat but that's true to the chairs on the Enterprise-E. :(

tadeo-d-oria-c1-31.jpg?1555052344
    Lizzy777
    Those chairs are looking great so far!
    You can use an Ambient Occlusion shader to darken the grooves slightly. Should give it a bit more depth.
    Rekkert
    @Viper: Ah, that's a great bit of advice, thanks! I ended up mixing in a slight AO shader to the main principled and it helped a ton. :)

I've further modified the shape of the back cushions, making them juuuust a tad rounder; plus that AO shader mixed in. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out now.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-32.jpg?1555109783
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-33.jpg?1555109785
    ViperLizzy777
    Yep, that looks great now! I would possibly do the same to the chair bases/stands.