Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Looks good! The support framework will doubtless come in handy for future projects, too :thumb:
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918267 Posts: 453Member
    You know, I did notice looking at Trekcore screencaps of Roddenberry's "Cage" introduction that the transporter room used in TMP, TWOK, and TSFS, with those discs removed, the upper parts of the pad did indeed use those Fresnel lenses that were later seen on the upper parts of the TNG/VOY transporter rooms.

If I were Zimmerman, I still would have replaced those TNG back panels for "Star Treks V and VI" with something different, like again, the honeycomb panels that were used in earlier Trek movies (and of course replace 'em back with TNG).
    The honeycomb really doesn't match the overall aesthetic of the later TOS movies; it'd look quite glaringly out of place.

Replace the TNG backing, certainly. But with something that acts as a bridge between TOS and TNG eras - much like the Okudagrams did. :cool:
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    The honeycomb, but with the metallic zigzag pattern of the TNG transporter on top, could work as a bridge between the eras. Or the other way around, the TNG graphic, but without the metallic bits.

I've been working on another project a bit more heavily than usual this last week. I hope it's something that I can show you soon, but it's not up to me. Also, the Internet issues never really stopped, so that's been great...

I've redone the support columns to be more accurate, and also added in the door and some other details.
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-09.jpg?1548792047
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    I don't see that working; the honeycomb doesn't look right aesthetically for STVI IMO, and tbh I feel like it would be a bit of a cop-out to have the TNG decals.

STVI had something of a visual theme going on in terms of sets of parallel lines, and this carried on through GEN, so personally I'd likely make something of that; maybe with the top-right corner of each graphic cut off at 45 degrees. A "matrix code" lighting effect running up and down the graphics (not the symbols, just the lighting effect!) would replace the flowing lights of the TWOK era.

Just an initial idea, but I might put my money where my mouth is in 2D next week. ;)
    For the time being, let's just focus on the USS Galaxy transporter room and not the TOS movie ones. I was just commenting there.

I'd like the transporter console to be the same color as it was in TNG, pretty much.
    It's Rekkert's thread, Rusty.
    I know seanr did his variation of a transitional transporter room some time ago, combining the honeycomb with an earlier version of the TNG pattern and such, for a ship called the Avenger (a Miranda-class ship).
    I don't recall that one, and I used to have all of his WIP images on file from his online temp folder... I'll see if I can track it down though
    I quite like the variations used on the Jenolan and Yosemite (which were redressed versions of each other).

I've done the small pattern on the walls, which was achieved using a displacement map, as a normal map certainly wasn't enough to achieve the effect here.

I've also tweaked the room structure somewhat, and started working on the vertical lights at the sides of the platform (the grid pattern is very temporary as I used it as a measuring tool).

tadeo-d-oria-c1-10.jpg?1548969693
    The Jenolan version does look quite attractive, though the blatant TNG decals are a bit much. But again, this is an instance where time and budget don't permit an "ideal" solution. :)
    Starscream wrote: »
    The Jenolan version does look quite attractive, though the blatant TNG decals are a bit much. But again, this is an instance where time and budget don't permit an "ideal" solution. :)

Well, to be fair, the Enterprise-A transporter had the back TNG panels as well.

I had an idea where bridges of larger ships would have a Yosemite/Jenolan transporter booth, which was also seen on the particle fountain base seen in "The Quality of Life" (a non-Starfleet interior), as well as on that outpost in "Second Chances" (though it wasn't working) as well as on the bridge of that mercernary ship in the two-part "Gambit" episode.
    A bit more work, almost done with the back wall.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-11.jpg?1548979680
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,565Member
    Nice work on the wall.
    Actually, I call it a bulkhead. Since on ships, walls are bulkheads and floors are decks.
    And in real life it's a set, thus "wall" is equally suited. We're well aware of the in-universe nomenclature. ;)
    Finished details on back wall, plus started work on the side alcove. Plus, both the floor and ceiling got some attention. The ceiling lights are based on Donny's transporter room, but with the details from the Galaxy sickbay ceiling lights, to better tie the ship together.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-12.jpg?1549340197
    That looks great! Might be lit better than the Enterprise-D transporter room too!
    That ceiling is beautiful!
    Solid modelling as usual! Shame it's not the same grey as Sickbay etc; that would have worked well here - could maybe even have done the ribbing in the dark turqouise of the sickbay padding. :)
    @Rusty0918: Thanks! Lighting's still very much fluxing from render to render as new bits are added, I hope to achieve the same overall lighting levels as on the season 7 transporter room, unless you have something else in mind. :)

@BolianAdmiral: Thank you! :)

@Starscream: Thanks! Yeah we can certainly try out different colors if Rusty wants, though some details certainly have changed to reflect the color pallet used on the Galaxy. Most notably the wall section housing the ""Transporter System"" LCARS screen, which is brown on the Enterprise but grey here. Plus the carpeting and labeling, of course.

I've replaced the grid on the vertical lights with the screen accurate pattern, and started work on the steps and floor level details.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-13.jpg?1549474534
    Yeah we could make the bulkheads the turquoise on the sickbay padding, might fit better. Not to mention also making the operator's console a similar color (hoping that it's not camouflaged).
  • JMP11JMP1151 Posts: 130Member
    Beautiful work, I always loved the floor of the transporter pad. But, I never understood/liked that awkward step-up to the pad.
    I always liked to think that the step up was there out of functional necessity... that it held under it elements of the transporter system's equipment that didn't directly fit under the pads themselves, like maybe the pattern buffers or whatnot. I mean, this is basically a machine that's tasked with deconstructing and then reconstituting a sentient being - without killing it. The equipment required for that can't be that compact, lol.
    @Rusty0918: I feel like the turqouise from sickbay might be too dark, but I'll do some tests tomorrow and share how they look. :)

Regarding the step, I always liked it, it gave the transporter more presence. You didn't just walk into it, you needed to climb a little set of steps.

I needed a break from all the research and all the getting obsessed over the transporter room, so I wanted to create a quick new room. So, I've worked on the briefing room for the USS Potemkin.

I simply had the idea for it earlier today and I couldn't get it out, so it was better to just do it haha. I'm pretty happy considering I spent a total of 6 hours on it. Of course a lot of stuff is simply reused, the only new bits are the table (recognize the shape?) and the cylindrical room itself.

I will add some final details to it tomorrow; like keypads, more details on the holoemitter at the table, and a new graphic for the screen showing the UFP logo, but overall, it's done. :)

Also, I'm going under the assumption that, just like the Constitution-Class, the Excelsior has an observation lounge that's more laid back on the back of the bridge, while the serious business is done in a separate briefing room located somewhere else on the ship (deck 2, I guess?).

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1549535670
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-02.jpg?1549535673
  • mdtamdta390 Posts: 95Member
    I love it, an Intrepid Excelsior ship. Have you considered trying out more of the warmer colours from the Sovereign class interiors?
    I love the table shape (but then, you know I'm quite fond of motifs and nods to the exterior ;) )!

The reused buttresses are a good idea too, though I'd have probably used a variant of the bridge style myself. Solid design overall, IMO! :thumb:

ETA: for the transporter I was suggesting a turquoise color only for the molded ""grilly"" panels, with the rest in SB/Bridge grey - it'd make the rest of the architecture pop out, particularly the neat framework. :)
    @Rekkert - I'll go with @Starscream's suggestion for the transporter room with the olors; the turquoise only being for the molded ""grilly"" patterns, with the rest being in the SB/Bridge gray.
    Something like this?

tadeo-d-oria-c1-14.jpg?1549568686
  • JMP11JMP1151 Posts: 130Member
    Oh, I like a step there, I just feel like it's more narrow than it needs to be. I didn't understand why they went with a mini cat walk in TNG :lol:

Very cool briefing room! I love the Y supports, they remind me of the briefing room seen on the Enterprise in the episode, ""The Cage."" Not having a window is a nice and different look.

thecage179.jpg
    112946.jpg