Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• Captain SerekCaptain Serek419 Burbank CaliforniaPosts: 90Member
    Nicely done, looking forward to it's completion.
    Rekkert
    I've come a long way for the power of Genesis and what do I find? A Square Pegs reject, another actress playing Saavik and Leonard Nimoy's stand-in.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    @richiewilch: Glad to see you here mate! Indeed, I do have in-progress shots of some of those commissions, you know that very well as you've been seeing your own bridge commission take shape. :)

However my usual policy with those smaller 'redress' commissions is to post them here once their done; mostly as to not clutter the thread with too many different projects at once, and because feedback isn't as critical a component as on larger commissions or brand new rooms. I know people love the WIP stuff; I love posting the WIP stuff, but posting 6 WIPs at the same time would just confuse things and bring the conversation to a crawl. And for commissions that would be finished by the time people actually see the posts, it's not worth it.

@Captain Serek: Thanks! :)
    solaremes
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • richiewilchrichiewilch57 Posts: 41Member
    Rekkert wrote: »
    @richiewilch: Glad to see you here mate! Indeed, I do have in-progress shots of some of those commissions, you know that very well as you've been seeing your own bridge commission take shape. :)

Yeah, it's coming on very nicely indeed. I look forward to the finished product.
    Rekkert wrote: »
    However my usual policy with those smaller 'redress' commissions is to post them here once their done; mostly as to not clutter the thread with too many different projects at once, and because feedback isn't as critical a component as on larger commissions or brand new rooms. I know people love the WIP stuff; I love posting the WIP stuff, but posting 6 WIPs at the same time would just confuse things and bring the conversation to a crawl. And for commissions that would be finished by the time people actually see the posts, it's not worth it.

I totally understand that, I just had the hope that there was some other project that wasn't of the smaller variety that you could share with you adoring audience... haha =)
    Rekkert
  • solaremessolaremes27 Posts: 22Member
    Thanks Rekkert for sharing your latest bridges. I really like the Ranger, although personally I would have arranged the doors a little differently. The doors next to the viewscreen look very squashed. But otherwise excellent work.

Regarding the Lafayette Bridge: I liked the previous version of the aft section even more. Especially because of the previous similarity to the Odyssey Bridge. Since I had always imagined the Odyssey in the form of the Enterprise-D-Bridge, this would have been a perfect match.

I'm very happy that you continued working on the Enterprise C-Bridge. I'm looking forward to further progress on this, even though I know you don't have enough time for it.
    Rekkert
    edited October 2020 #2946
    Oh boy, it's been a very busy week (weeks? whatever). Besides the commissions here and the non-Trek stuff I was already doing, I've been approached to work as a 3D modeler on a commercial game project (nothing Trek related, but it's sci-fi); so I have my hands full.

Not that I'm complaining, it seems I have job as a modeler for a while, which was always a worry of mine; plus living with my partner and being in a healthier environment I'm able to cope with more projects than before, so in a sense good thing this happened now.

So, back to Trek interiors, that's what on the thread title, right? :p

First off are a couple of commissions I've actually finished a while back for @Rusty0918. These are both tweaks to previous commissions of his. The USS Lexington-B bridge got modified, replacing the Hathaway-style command section with a standard Captain's chair at the center, plus adding front-facing consoles at the sides of the bridge. See all the renders here.
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1601343373
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1601343428
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-lexington-b-bridge-cutaway.jpg?1601430043

Second is the auxiliary bridge for the Lex-B, which is a modification/replacement of his USS Indefatigable bridge. The colors, doors, and conn/ops consoles were replaced with the same styles as used on the main bridge of the Lex-B. See all the renders here.
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1602543344
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1602543377
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-lexington-b-auxiliary-bridge-cutaway.jpg?1602543386

Finally, I've finished a commission for @richiewilch, the bridge of the Excelsior-Class USS Kumari; made for his PBeM RPG, Star Trek: Kumari. The game is set in the 2370's, so the LCARS and colors reflect that. The bridge has a new floor pattern, with spaced out steps descending into a pit for the helm console; a pool table at the back, with a star chart and a ship status display graphic; and the perimeter stations next to the viewscreen were modified to include an extruded side panel, giving them an 'L' shape.
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1602983015
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1602983023
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1602983031
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1602983038
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1602983047
    tadeo-d-oria-c6-01.jpg?1602983055
    tadeo-d-oria-c7-01.jpg?1602983063
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-kumari-bridge-cutaway.jpg?1603133480
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    kadenWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777BolianAdmiralCaptain SerekFreakrojrensolaremessrspicer
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,565Member
    Oh, that Kumari bridge is just beautiful! I love it.
    Rekkert
    Excellent work on all the bridges.
    Rekkert
    I've come a long way for the power of Genesis and what do I find? A Square Pegs reject, another actress playing Saavik and Leonard Nimoy's stand-in.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Absolutely love that flight console and horseshoe!
    Rekkert
    Oh, that Kumari bridge is just beautiful! I love it.

Thanks, I'm really pleased with how @Rekkert brought my ideas to life. Excellent work as always.
    BolianAdmiralRekkert
  • trekkitrekki947 Posts: 1,399Member
    Very cool !
    Rekkert
  • Rory1707Rory1707232 Posts: 238Member
    As usual your renders are AWESOME!
    Rekkert
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918267 Posts: 453Member
    Another Excelsior-class ship that you might try doing (this is NOT a request, BTW) is the Lakota bridge, from that ship seen in the DS9 episode "Paradise Lost." You see a little bit of it in the episode behind Captain Benteen: the original set is a redress of the Defiant bridge with a few displays taken from DS9's infirmary. The Lakota had completed a refit and those console/displays could be temporary. As with the rest of the bridge, you take that oft-redressed bridge and change the parameter stations to be more Defiant esque with the Defiant-style buttresses. As with the center seat and Conn/Ops...you decide.
    solaremesRekkert
  • solaremessolaremes27 Posts: 22Member
    edited October 2020 #2954
    @Rekkert: Great job as always on the Kumari and Lexington bridges! Congrats to your new job, I hope you like it!

@Rusty: That's an interesting idea. I always imagined the Lakota Bridge to be the same as the Enterprise-B Bridge, only with modern consoles. I took your idea and made a quick sketch, incorporating the Defiant-esque consoles and taking into account the consoles we saw onscreen in the background (http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/4x12/paradiselost_564.jpg). What do you think?

tdow40rmod6o.jpg
    Post edited by solaremes on
    Rekkert
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    solaremes wrote: »
    @Rekkert: Great job as always on the Kumari bridge! Congrats to your new job, hope you like it!

@Rusty: That's an interesting idea. I always imagined the Lakota Bridge to be the same as the Enterprise-B Bridge, only with modern consoles. I took your idea and made a quick sketch, incorporating the Defiant-esque consoles and taking into account the consoles we saw onscreen in the background (http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/4x12/paradiselost_564.jpg). What do you think?

tdow40rmod6o.jpg

You guys should cooperate on this! It's a nice concept and Tadeo could use the new pieces in future bridges.
    Rekkert
    Nice sketch! Wish I had one of my Endeavour bridge!
    Rekkert
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918267 Posts: 453Member
    Interesting concept. However, I'm not sure about the single curved Conn console. On the Defiant, that was both Conn AND Ops. That may work on a smaller Defiant-esque ship but not on a bigger ship. I probably would stick with the TNG Conn/Ops (with modern instrumentation), or perhaps that Conn/Ops combined console seen on the Righteous in the "Star Trek: Borg" game.
    Rekkert
    @BolianAdmiral: Thanks! :)

@richiewilch: Thanks mate, glad you liked it! It was my pleasure bringing it to life.

@trekki: Thanks!

@Rory1707: Glad to see you here Rory, and thanks!

@Rusty0918: Yeah, the Lakota's certainly on my radar, but it'll have to wait until I do the Defiant bridge someday, as one way or another it'll have to reuse a lot of components from there.

@solaremes: That is a very cool concept! I do agree that the helm is rather lonely there given the smaller size it has, but it would still work.

@lennier1: I could always use new pieces for future bridges, ALL THE PIECES. ;)

More progress on the Lafayette commission. I've done the TNG-style chairs below the aft consoles, and started work on the ceiling. The chairs are of a different design than the Enterprise-D's, as the space is more limited, so they had to be shorter; I tried to make them obviously distinct yet in the same style. As for the ceiling, it's still very early, but it's going to be pretty much the same style as the Odyssey bridge.

You can also see the little MSD next to the Ready Room door now has the proper New Orleans shape. ;)
    tadeo-d-oria-c0-15.jpg?1603416768
    tadeo-d-oria-c0-16.jpg?1603416779

On another note, you might have noticed things are looking different since I posted the final USS Ranger bridge renders; that's because I recently heavily reworked my workflow; I'm using a higher number of light passes than before, more noticeable spotlights (which create sharper shadows), and a higher contrast setting.

Due to the big difference it makes on renders, I've decided to slowly begin updating the personal projects listed on my portfolio to this new standard. I resisted going back to finished rooms in the past (with various degrees of success), as I'm always been tweaking my workflow, but now things have gone to a point where I really didn't feel okay leaving these up otherwise, due to various reasons.

I won't be showing them all here as most changes are rather small or only really noticeable on the lighting, however I did take the time to correct some issues with the materials or meshes. Here's a list of all the modified rooms ones so far:
    Potemkin bridge
    Potemkin briefing room
    Potemkin shuttlebay
    Potemkin battle bridge
    Appalachia bridge
    Yeager bridge
    Cerberus bridge
    Emmett Till bridge

I do plan on redoing some more whenever time allows (mostly the remaining Potemkin interiors, the Budapest bridge and Fontana Station's OPS), though some really are too old at this point and I'd have to heavily rework them, I might just end up removing them from the portfolio entirely.

The only ones with truly different stuff are the USS Appalachia and USS Yeager bridges. Both previously used TNG style LCARS keyboards, which didn't really fit as they were newer vessels, so I updated them with the newer LCARS designs I had created for the Cerberus bridge. I've also done a brand new panel for the conn/ops console used in both bridges, modeled after Voyager's LCARS instead of the TNG style it had before. The Yeager LCARS received a brand new color palette as well, mirroring the colors from the First Contact Enterprise-E bridge.

Here are a couple before/after shots (left is before, logically) of the Yeager bridge. As you can see the LCARS are the biggest change, but the new lighting and contrast are also noticeable. You'll see the glass at the back is also clear now instead of darker as it was before, that's not a change in the material, but rather due to the higher number of light passes, which makes transparent objects of higher quality, this is how that glass was always supposed to look like.
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-00.jpg?1603416751
    tadeo-d-oria-screenshot-from-2020-10-22-22-08-23.jpg?1603416759
    BolianAdmiralWarp Propulsion LaboratoryslybrarianLizzy777Captain SerekJayru
    @Rekkert: I’m glad to be here. I may have a bigger request in the future, namely a ready room and a conference lounge for the Endeavour. I’ll let you know through your website.
    Rekkert
    Good stuff @Rekkert it will be nice to see them.
    Rekkert
    Rekkert, yeah, I think the Kumari bridge might actually be my favorite of the bridges you’ve done so far. It’s visually interesting, but just enough so that it’s not too “busy”.
    Rekkert
  • seanrseanr1113 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 599Member
    There's something distinctly "Section 31" about that Lexington auxiliary bridge. All of these are looking good, though on that last one, I think I actually prefer the original colors, at least for the ceiling - maybe use the new dome but the other color for the rest of the ceiling?
    Rekkert
    Rekkert, yeah, I think the Kumari bridge might actually be my favorite of the bridges you’ve done so far. It’s visually interesting, but just enough so that it’s not too “busy”.

One thing that I liked about @Rekkert 's work, particularly with the Potemkin Interiors, was that he tried to create something that could have been seen on Trek at that time, and wouldn't have looked like it was designed for designs sake. In my brief to him, and our discussions through the design stage, I tried to keep those ideas in mind, as this came together, so that what I had as a result wasn't at odds with what we have seen before, both on screen, but also in his other work. But whatever I provided as a brief, none of it would matter without the work that went into it from Rekkert, who as I said before, did an excellent job of bringing to life what I wanted.
    BolianAdmiralRekkert
    I’m kinda curious, though... on the graphics of the Kumari itself on the LCARS, the ship is a standard Excelsior, yet the nacelles are the 1701-B style. Was this intentional?
    Rekkert
    In respect to the canon bridges being discussed, which would you say will be the hardest to research and create, my choices are the Lantree and the Bozeman, mind you I love all the original bridges, just putting it out there for everyone's learned opinions.
    Rekkert
    In respect to the canon bridges being discussed, which would you say will be the hardest to research and create, my choices are the Lantree and the Bozeman, mind you I love all the original bridges, just putting it out there for everyone's learned opinions.

Or the Hood, from Tin Man.
    Rekkert
    edited October 2020 #2967
    @Rory1707: Looking forward to them, then. :D

@richiewilch: Thanks mate, though to be fair your brief was on point and super helpful with getting the whole picture for the bridge, would've been a lot harder without all that work you did before I even started! Pre-production's everything. ;)

@seanr: lol, now that you mentioned it, that one does have a Section 31 feel to it! As for the Yeager ceiling, I really wanted to get rid of that blue, though it's totally a personal preference thing. :p

@BolianAdmiral: Kumari's supposed to be a mix of the two Excelsior designs, with the secondary hull of the original, but the saucer and nacelles of the Ent-B. This can be seen more clearly on the pool table LCARS. :)
    Did we ever saw the bridge of the Hood? I was under the impression what we saw behind DeSoto was just his ready room, with some LCARS panels kinda like Sisko's.

@Captain Serek: Bozeman and Lantree are both rather easy IMO, as we got a very clear view of them in one angle, and both are reuses of sets which we know how they look otherwise. So what's there is easy enough to reproduce, and what's not there can be extrapolated from other episodes. :)
    The Brattain, Tsiolkovsky, Jenolan, or Rhode Island bridges come to mind as being a lot harder.

I'm waiting on some feedback for the Lafayette bridge commission (still unsure if I'll have to redo the aft chairs), so decided to toy around with an idea I've had on my head for a while in the meantime.

In my never-ending quest to expand on canon ships which interiors we never saw, I decided to start working on the mess hall of the USS Appalachia.

Externally, the windows appear to be the same shape as those on the Enterprise-D, hence I started off from my already modeled TNG quarters. I extended the room to mirror the large external row of windows below the ship's registry number, and started modifying the details to be a mix of the Ent-D, Ent-E, and Voyager aesthetics, just as I did with the bridge.

As you can see most things are already in place, and other than the new tables all items are modifications of existing props I already had modeled. I still have to add more wall details; some new light fixtures (I know, those tables by the windows are too dark); modify the chairs to be their Voyager versions; and most importantly add a glass railing between the two floor levels to stop people from falling. ;)

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1603680734
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1603680763
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1603680791
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    Lizzy777BolianAdmiralJayruCaptain SerekFreakashleytingerWarp Propulsion Laboratory
    Like the start of the mess hall. Can’t wait to see the finished renders. 🖖🏾
    Rekkert
    Sweet mess hall! As for the Hood... I just always assumed it was the Bridge. I mean, if that’s Captain De Soto’s Ready-Room, that’s a LOT of LCARS displays for a Ready-Room, lol.

wtb7qkfhaihy.jpeg
    Rekkert
  • JayruJayru1083 UKPosts: 676Member
    So many beautiful renders and designs here. I doff my hat to you sir!
    Rekkert
    The watcher in the tower... Waiting, hour by hour...
    - Mike Oldfield
    @Rekkert I had forgotten about the Tsiolkolvsky and I agree about the others, anyway nice work so far.
    Rekkert