Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    @evil_genius_180: Haha, thanks, I try to keep them realistic for the show's budget; some times I succeed more than others.

@Zhor2395: Thank you very much! :)

@Freak: Thanks! I quite like the bridge designs for Discovery myself, though the Disco itself could've used a bit more color and rails. The Shenzhou and "Discoprise" bridge are amazing designs IMO, which isn't really surprising as they were done by Ryan Dening, who worked on the original Star Trek Online from Perpetual and came up with some incredible designs for both interiors (here) and exteriors (here and here) of 24th Century Starfleet ships.

Here are the finished renders of the Omaha, plus some at red alert:

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1580508113
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1580508120
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1580508127
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1580508106
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1580508110
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-01r.jpg?1580508116
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01r.jpg?1580508123
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-omaha-bridge-cutaway.jpg?1580508113
    evil_genius_180Zhor2395ashleytingerLizzy777kadenBrandenbergFreak
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That looks outstanding, as always. Great work. :)
    Rekkert
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    This is exquisite work!
    Rekkert
  • mdtamdta390 Posts: 95Member
    Another great bridge @Rekkert looks like a good TMP era upgraded bridge with those LCARS.

Quick question, have you ever modelled a damaged bridge, after modelling the pristine version?
    Rekkert
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Oooooooooo. A bridge for my Enterprise C. I just love your work.
    Rekkert
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Nice,

I like the look of the Discoprise Bridge. It the lighting I have an issue with on that one.
    Rekkert
    Glad you all liked the Omaha bridge! :)

@mdta: Not really, I wouldn't even know how to damage it hahaha. For Stage 9 we were planning on having the Enterprise-C bridge damaged as it appeared on the show, but that would've been done by Rob over my "pristine" version of the bridge. He ended up using the know-how for that on the USS Zodiac video, to show a damaged version of another one of my bridges. I'm still amazed at how great he made it all look.

So... remember how when I first showed the Cerberus bridge like a month ago, I mentioned I had started working on the Excelsior-Class main shuttlebay, for the USS Potemkin?

I had been trying to make a shuttlebay for a long while, mostly due to the wish of using my existing shuttle meshes more. After some failed starts with other classes, I finally managed to get a clear picture in my head of how the Excelsior one could work.

The outer shape is based on the Excelsior mesh from Chris Kuhn, though of course it's smaller to accommodate for the thickness of the outer hull. Said shape ends up being very inefficient due to the large space doors. A lot of space near them is pretty much unusable. I also had a hard time finding a good parking spot for the shuttles, given the curved walls, I had at least a dozen revisions with different number and location of shuttles; it might still change if someone has a better idea. :)

Of note is the fact that due to its location at the tail end of the Excelsior's secondary hull, it's not possible to add a lift to the deck below for maintenance. The deck below is very short and a Type-7 won't even fit.

I've been able to reuse some meshes that I had done for Stage 9's shuttlebays, like the tractor beam emitters (which will be on rails) and the aforementioned shuttles. I did spend a lot of time optimizing my old meshes though; I'm embarrassed by how extremely overdone they were. The Type-15 had 60k polys, now it's at 30k, arguably still too much.

Still, I'll have to model some new stuff, particularly cargo containers of different designs to make the room busier. The control room on the deck above will feature existing consoles from the other Potemkin sets, just with new LCARS. This is to mirror the Enterprise-D main shuttlebay control room as featured on the official Sternbach blueprints and as we reproduced on Stage 9.

Ignore most textures (particularly those ugly patterns on the space doors) and materials, everything will change. Same thing for the shuttles, I'll have to modify them to be turned off, plus come up with names for them all. :p Lighting will likewise increase heavily as I model more sources.

Comments and suggestions more than welcome on this one. :)

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1580766105
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1580766108
    tadeo-d-oria-screenshot-from-2020-02-03-18-36-18.jpg?1580766106
    Lizzy777FreakashleytingerBrandenberg
    Some more work done, particularly in the control room. I made it a bit smaller than before, and decided to go with standing consoles rather than the TNG bridge style ones, just to make it look different than the Enterprise.

I've also added in some cargo crates. These were originally done for S9 but I had no copy of them; fortunately they were still on the old repositories and Jeff_the_Sloth was able to send them my way. Also, as you can see the shuttles are now powered off.

tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1580788357
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1580788361
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180ashleytingerBrandenberg
    It would be interesting to see some older Ent B era equipment in that Shuttlebay - alongside some of those TNG era upgrades.
    Rekkert
    I like it so far. Also, nice reuse of the Galaxy class pool table console.
    Rekkert
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2014 Central OhioPosts: 1,245Member
    Very nice!
    Rekkert
    edited February 2020 #2533
    @mdta: Mmm, the rest of the Potemkin interiors are very much TNG only, except for the outer structure. I was planning on doing the same thing here, but I'm open to ideas; we never saw any Ent-B era shuttlebay, so what sort of equipment are you suggesting? :)

@evil_genius_180: Thanks! Indeed, the TNG blueprints reuse the pool table all over the ship, so I'm just following along. ;)

@ashleytinger: Thanks!

Some more progress done. The ceiling received a lot of attention, with the support ribs now extending all the way to the central structure, and light sources further detailed all along. I've also added in the rail for the two tractor beam emitters. The logic being that one would move to the central position when a shuttle is about to land, to help with the final approach. Then once the shuttle is ready to be moved to its storage position, the emitter would accompany it along the opposite rail in order to always have a clear line of sight over the shuttle.

Shuttle control also got an overhaul, with a new window in place, more in line with the Enterprise-D's shuttlebays, among several other smaller changes.

Finally, I've started adding back the textures to the shuttles themselves. The Type-15s are still blank, but the Type-7s got new markings with the Potemkin name and registry, plus new names. Shuttlecraft 01 got named Sorensen after Jeff_the_Sloth (aka @Nayslayer ); former Stage 9 dev who as mentioned before helped me recover some of the assets used here; and Shuttlecraft 02 got named Kuhn in recognition of Chris Kuhn's amazing model which was instrumental in starting this whole project.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-05.jpg?1580854059
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1580854063

Also, here you can see how the shuttlebay fits into Kuhn's model. On the side view you can clearly see a problem with the Excelsior's exterior: window misalignment. Assuming Kuhn's model is accurate (which from what I've researched, it is in this particular area), each window row on the front end of the shuttlebay structure is approximately 2 meters apart from each other, and thus the 3 window rows are located in a space that only fits two decks. This won't affect this particular model, but it's interesting to note, at least for me.

tadeo-d-oria-screenshot-from-2020-02-04-18-38-51.jpg?1580854719
    tadeo-d-oria-screenshot-from-2020-02-04-19-19-05.jpg?1580854760
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777FreakBrandenberg
    Looking great. I really like your Type 7 shuttles. :)

Unfortunately, window misalignment is the bane of the Star Trek interior creator. Even just taking a model you made from blueprints of a ship and trying to line it up with a deck plan can be a nightmare.
    Rekkert
    Oh man, that looks cool!
    Rekkert
    Love seeing how it fits in with the exterior model. And yes, the windows on the Excelsior in particular are an issue. So many fan write-ups on that.

Still loving your shuttles!
    Rekkert
    edited February 2020 #2537
    @evil_genius_180: Thanks! Yeah, I'm particularly proud of how the Type-7 turned out, particularly as it was my first real foray into organic modeling via subdivision surface. I've been really itching to show it off more. :p

@scifieric: Thanks! :)

@ashleytinger: Haha, thanks!

I've finished the front wall of the shuttlebay, adding in panels and recessing the access doors somewhat, all similar to details from TNG. I moved the central line with the "VARIABLE GRAVITY AREA" text upwards a bit, to make the panels above and below it the same height. This meant that the extruded line on the sides of the shuttlebay was removed. I'm unsure at this stage if I'll redo that detail or do something completely different for those walls.

I added a 5th shuttlepod, as it easily fitted between the central two; and rotated the outermost Type-15s 90ª so that they're facing away from the side walls now. This gives them a bit more clearance to get in and out with the tractor beam.

I've also started working on the floor. Still more lines and text to add there (not to mention texture), but it's taking shape. The red markings indicate where a shuttle's access is, so Type-15s have them at the sides, while Type-7s have them at the front. Shuttles ready to launch are taxied to the central yellow area via tractor beam; while the reverse happens for arriving shuttles.

Finally, as you can see I've added the textures back to the Type-15s. I decided to name them all after Argentine space scientists, so excuse me while I list them all, I bet you never heard of them. ;)

Shuttlepod 01 is named after Jorge Sahade (1915-2012), an astronomer who specialized in binary star systems and lay much of the groundwork for their modern understanding. He also served as president of the International Astronomical Union.

Shuttlepod 02 is named after Pedro Zadunaisky (1917-2009), an astronomer and mathematician who was a pioneer in celestial mechanics. While working at NASA's Goddard Space Center he was responsible for calculating the orbit of Explorer 1 and other early US satellites. He was also the first to calculate the orbit of Saturn's moon Phoebe, and of Halley's Comet, among many other bodies.

Shuttlepod 03 is named after Adela Ringuelet (1930), an astrophysicist who specializes in stellar spectroscopy. She founded the Argentinian Astronomical Association, and is a member of the IAU's 'Stars and Stellar Physics' division. She's also the widow of Jorge Sahade.

Shuttlepod 04 is named after Carlos Varsavsky (1933-1983), an astrophysicist who founded the Argentine Institute of Radio Astronomy, and oversaw the construction of the Southern Hemisphere's largest radio telescope.

Shuttlepod 05 is named after Gloria Dubner (1950), an astrophysicist who specialized in supernovas. A leading member of the IAU, in 2015 she lead a collaboration between 5 observatories (from NASA, the ESA and the NRAO) to better image the Crab Nebula supernova remnant.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-04.jpg?1580889709
    tadeo-d-oria-c6-01.jpg?1580889712
    Lizzy777Zhor2395Freakevil_genius_180ashleytingerlewisnivenBrandenberg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    oooo, a shuttlebay. :) Nice. I recall you once making an engineering section (and I'm not sure if it was you or someone else, but wasn't there once a sickbay, too?), so you're branching out? I love it.
    Rekkert
  • kadenkaden799 JapanPosts: 219Member
    Nice shuttle bay, I have to make my own for the fighter once I am finished with it.

Have you ever tried to make that STO concept bridge? I like it too, although it doesn't need that delta in the floor lol.
    Rekkert
    @Rekkert I didn't have anything specific in mind. The Enterprise D had a few older blue and green panels, and with it being an Excelsior Class ship - I imagine there may be some integrated hang overs, from their earlier days that could not be easily removed or replaced.
    Rekkert
    Man, that is beautiful work!
    Rekkert
    edited February 2020 #2542
    @Aresius: Yup, I made a sickbay, engineering, and briefing room for the Potemkin already, plus a few other non-bridge rooms for commissions. I do like making different stuff, but work is understandably mostly bridges haha.

@kaden: Yeah, that floor delta is a bit much lol. I haven't tried to do that one but I might as well tackle it some day. :)

@mdta: I think the only blue and green panels were isolinear banks, and I do intend to add those into this room, just as I did for the Potemkin's engineering. :)

@scifieric: Thanks man!

More work on the floor markings, I think they're finished now. I added a second, smaller yellow rectangle closer to the shuttlepods, which is where they would be placed before launch. Hence the bigger rectangle would only be used for the larger shuttlecrafts. Because of this, I connected them with the white lines only to the parking space of the crafts that are supposed to use them. I think this works. :p

Also, the space doors are now finally in place. They are flat with one another, just as on the filming miniature, even if this means they wouldn't really work as they're supposed to.

The ceiling now is pretty much done as well, with more lights added near the doors. I've also added a light strip on the floor, similar to that on the Enterprise-A shuttlebay. The logic is that it would light up in the direction needed when a shuttle is leaving or arriving (again, just as on the Ent-A).

tadeo-d-oria-c8-01.jpg?1580951164
    tadeo-d-oria-c7-01.jpg?1580951161

Here are some quick and dirty renders of the shuttlebay as it currently stands placed inside Kuhn's exterior model. Please ignore the gap between meshes, again this was just quickly put together to see how it would look.

Notice on the last image that given the weird shape of the doors you can see the shuttlebay open from an angle that doesn't let you see what's going on inside. Hence the light strip on the floor also serves as a visual guide to see current bay operations, which could be really useful in a busy drydock.

tadeo-d-oria-screenshot-from-2020-02-05-23-03-19.jpg?1580954811
    tadeo-d-oria-screenshot-from-2020-02-05-23-03-54.jpg?1580954814
    tadeo-d-oria-screenshot-from-2020-02-05-23-04-20.jpg?1580954816
    ashleytingerJMP11Warp Propulsion Laboratoryevil_genius_180Lizzy777FreakZhor2395Brandenberg
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    Jeez where have I been? This is awesome! I'm impressed that you were able to create a realistic shuttle bay in such a weird shape.
    Rekkert
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
    furswift wrote: »
    Jeez where have I been? This is awesome! I'm impressed that you were able to create a realistic shuttle bay in such a weird shape.

Just don't ask how the doors work. ;)
    RekkertWarp Propulsion Laboratory
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771259 PNWPosts: 756Member
    furswift wrote: »

Just don't ask how the doors work. ;)

The same way that Voyager's Batmobile Armor works!

Rekkertevil_genius_180Warp Propulsion LaboratoryZhor2395Brandenberg
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    @furswift: Haha, thanks, I'm glad you think it's a realistic layout!

And yeah, those doors... No wonder they wanted Scotty to be the Chief Engineer on the NX Excelsior, they needed a miracle worker to make those function!

A small update today, as I'm taking some time to work on commissions, which I'll be showing soon.

Added back the LCARS for the control room, I'm still unsure what graphic to do for the pool table. One idea is to have a map of the shuttlebay, but it's a bit pointless considering how (unlike on the Ent-D) the entire bay is visible from the window a few steps away...

Also, I modified the existing cargo containers to create another variant from TNG.

tadeo-d-oria-c9-01.jpg?1581025619
    tadeo-d-oria-c10-01.jpg?1581025623
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777FreakBrandenberg
    Pool table options:

Shuttle schematics
    Maintenance Rotations
    Shuttle paths vs warp field generators
    Rekkert
  • Zhor2395Zhor2395344 MN, USAPosts: 92Member
    "All I ask is a tall shuttlebay with enough room for my shuttle's fancy rollbar" ;) Excellent work :)
    Rekkert
    "It's just like bumper cars...where everyone dies." ~Penny Robinson
    edited February 2020 #2549
    @ashleytinger: Thanks for the suggestions! :)

@Zhor2395: Haha, this one's certainly tall! :p

Been quite busy with commissions, I have 4 small ones currently in various stages of completion, plus a few larger ones that I still haven't progressed enough to warrant showing. Still, I want to try and complete the shuttlebay, given how few pieces remain to be done.

I've added some more detailing to the side walls of the bay, inspired by similar designs from Defiant's engineering. Not entirely sold on it, but it's what I've got so far. As you can see at the left on the render, I've also modeled those octagonal containers so often seen in TNG. I was gonna model some more containers, but I think there are more than enough, I have nowhere else to place any without getting in the way of the shuttles. :p

tadeo-d-oria-c11-01.jpg?1581492761
    FreakashleytingerWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777evil_genius_180JMP11Brandenberg
    I love the containers. I don't know why, but seeing set pieces like that recreated in CG makes me happy. :)
  • murbymurby174 ItalyPosts: 2Member
    kucz60c4gore.jpg
    Ds9 Ops Room by trekkie:: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/e16e8d6584ab82c53be30a3d3c80fc0/DEEP-SPACE-NINE-OPERATIONS-CENTER-in-progress
    Added to converted sketchup model some doors, stools, ladders, main screen, railing, turbolift, 2 consolles and new materials and textures before rendering with daz studio engine 3Delight and Uber Enviroment.
    Lizzy777BrandenbergBolianAdmiral