Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    edited December 2019 #2432
    @rojren: I based the blue sphere on the similar wireframe scans from TWoK. I guess that early 3D was just too similar haha.

@ashleytinger: I thought about doing the planetoid on the hologram, but it's just way too big, no chance to have it in-scale with the station and having the latter visible.

@Rusty0918: Indeed, that little game is what gave me the "permission" to use a hologram on a 23th Century design (yes, I needed an excuse :p).

When I first imagined this Ops set, I thought about adding a big door that would go directly to the CO's office on the aft wall, replacing one of the screens. But then I recalled how on DS9 they mentioned that the big door going to Sisko's office was such a Cardassian display of the command chain, and not something that you would see on a Federation starbase, so I abandoned the idea, with the logic that somewhere on the same deck there would be an office for the CO.

Still, on another forum @slybrarian suggested to me to replace one of the screens with a window looking into the CO's office, and I liked the idea, so I went ahead with it. I've been toying with the idea of modeling a planetside office for a while, with flags and all that, so i guess that idea is now merged with the station.

The walls are still pretty bare, and I guess I'll have to design a TUC era desktop monitor, as I think we never saw one. Suggestions are more than welcome regarding what to add to the office. :)

tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1575795759
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1575795762
    tadeo-d-oria-c6-01.jpg?1575795766
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777Freak
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Excellent work, with a nice tribute to D.C. Fontana. But I'm really sorry to hear about your Aunt. My condolences to you and your family. That really is too young.
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918267 Posts: 453Member
    As with what goes on the bulkheads, one thing that should definitely be there is a status display, perhaps showing ship placement in the vicinity. Perhaps a map with ship placement a la one of the "Operation: Retrieve" images seen in "Star Trek VI" (the extended version of course).
    edited December 2019 #2435
    @scifieric: Thank you. :)

@Rusty0918: Yeah, I'll definitely add in a screen in there with some info. :)

Okey, as mentioned before I kept working on the Nimitz battle bridge and today all the renders are done. I've also went back to the main bridge and did some red alert renders, so those are the first two pics:

tadeo-d-oria-c5-01r.jpg?1575854818
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01r.jpg?1575854815

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1575854942
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1575854950
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1575854958
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-01r.jpg?1575854946
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01r.jpg?1575854954
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-nimitz-battle-bridge-cutaway.jpg?1575854931
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180FreakrojrenscifiericJMP11Brandenberg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Those are all looking great. I love the battle bridge.
    scifieric
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    That has to be one of the best battle bridges I have seen to date.
    scifieric
    @evil_genius_180: Thanks! :)

@Freak: Glad you think so!

More work on Fontana Station, and specifically the office (Ops is done really, other than the LCARS needing updating to showcase the station on several screens).
    I decided to go with glossy black for the desk, inspired by some Starfleet Academy furniture. The screen design on the wall is likewise based on that game. Right next to it, I've placed some storage compartments (probably where the CO keeps the Saurian Brandy).
    There's also a modified version of the TNG transporter room circuitry access unit next to the door, with a small plant on top. I'll probably add some diplomas or similar stuff on the wall above, based on those seen on board Excelsior in 'Flashback'.
    Finally, I've added a small model of the station on top of the desk. I had it already, so why not use it again? :p I do plan on making that model freely available for download on SketchFab once I finish this, as I won't be expanding on it but perhaps it might inspire others to do a proper exterior model of the station. It is a canon design that never got much love after all.

tadeo-d-oria-c6-02.jpg?1575886572
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-02.jpg?1575886568
    evil_genius_180FreakashleytingerLizzy777Warp Propulsion LaboratoryBrandenberg
    The office is looking great. Shiny black surfaces are always good for Star Trek.
    Rekkert
    Nice and I am loving that station model.
    Rekkert
    edited December 2019 #2441
    Added more stuff to the office. I've finished the screen, and I went with screencaps of DC Fontana written episodes for the opposite wall (from 'Yesteryear' and Friday's Child'). For the monitor, I initially wanted to go with something stuck behind the desk glass, similar to how these were on TVH, but I didn't like the end result very much. I ended up settling on a modified version of the sunken monitor seen on the TUC's transporter room console, among some others. This version is more sunken on the desk, and at a less pronounced angle. I think it works.

Also, I had the idea of using the biobed monitors from TMP as overhead displays for the center of Ops. I wanted to add something like this from the very beggining (inspired on Galactica's CIC), but I only just now realized how to do it in a way that fits in with the style and being a realistic reuse that might have happened.

I believe I'll call this one done, unless I'm missing something. :)

tadeo-d-oria-c9-01.jpg?1575937666
    tadeo-d-oria-c7-01.jpg?1575937659
    tadeo-d-oria-c8-01.jpg?1575937662
    JMP11evil_genius_180ashleytingerFreakLizzy777Warp Propulsion LaboratoryBrandenberg
  • JMP11JMP1151 Posts: 130Member
    That Nimitz battle bridge is inspiring me to dig up that modified Odyssey bridge idea I had :)
    Rekkert
  • ViperViper1686 Posts: 717Administrator
    Damn dude. That looks epic. Excellent work :)
    Rekkert
  • mdtamdta390 Posts: 95Member
    Rekkert wrote: »
    I believe I'll call this one done, unless I'm missing something. :)

tadeo-d-oria-c8-01.jpg?1575937662

I like the office and the window behind. I do find it hard to shake off the Constitution Refit Bridge core design. When doing future operation rooms, I would consider taller ceilings, and changing the walls up a bit to make them look less like bridge stations.

I think your work is always amazing, especially with what else you have been going through. Make sure you are looking after yourself, as well as your commission clients!

RekkertBrandenberg
    @JMP11: Haha, I can certainly see why. ;)

@Viper: Thanks, man!

@mdta: Oddly enough, a taller ceiling was the very first change I did to this room, adding windows on top similar to those on DS9. I ended up discarding it though, as I really like the "claustrophobic" feel of this era of Trek design. I do agree on not being able to see past the original Constitution bridge, particularly after doing so many redresses, but I kinda played with that on this particular design as I imagine this as essentially using the same building components. It's not a very big station after all (the "saucer" is approximately the same size as that of Excelsior, by my estimates, so a similar looking command center is fitting.

Aggg, last minute realizations... Okey, so all along it bugged me that the consoles on the pit don't correspond to the consoles on the walls 1 to 1; plus the fact that I wanted to avoid having a front screen, and with the addition of the office, I was kinda left with a front screen.

So, I went ahead and modified the layout of the room (on another file, the original is safe), making it a essentially symmetrical every 120º. This makes it look less like a starship bridge, while still leaving more than enough space for corridors and rooms if we assume that the window into space on the office is a circular perimeter of the station centered at Ops.

Thing is, does this work? I kinda like it, simply because it makes it more distinct, but I want to hear what you all think. :) Original 2-ways layout, or new 3-ways one?

tadeo-d-oria-screenshot-from-2019-12-10-04-29-40.jpg?1575963679
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1575963675
    ViperLizzy777Warp Propulsion LaboratoryBrandenberg
    I think the new one works a lot better as a station command room. It makes it looks like a central room, where several departments are connected.
    JMP11Rekkert
  • mdtamdta390 Posts: 95Member
    Rekkert wrote: »
    @mdta: Oddly enough, a taller ceiling was the very first change I did to this room, adding windows on top similar to those on DS9. I ended up discarding it though, as I really like the "claustrophobic" feel of this era of Trek design. I do agree on not being able to see past the original Constitution bridge, particularly after doing so many redresses, but I kinda played with that on this particular design as I imagine this as essentially using the same building components. It's not a very big station after all (the "saucer" is approximately the same size as that of Excelsior, by my estimates, so a similar looking command center is fitting.

Aggg, last minute realizations... Okey, so all along it bugged me that the consoles on the pit don't correspond to the consoles on the walls 1 to 1; plus the fact that I wanted to avoid having a front screen, and with the addition of the office, I was kinda left with a front screen.

So, I went ahead and modified the layout of the room (on another file, the original is safe), making it a essentially symmetrical every 120º. This makes it look less like a starship bridge, while still leaving more than enough space for corridors and rooms if we assume that the window into space on the office is a circular perimeter of the station centered at Ops.

Thing is, does this work? I kinda like it, simply because it makes it more distinct, but I want to hear what you all think. :) Original 2-ways layout, or new 3-ways one?

tadeo-d-oria-screenshot-from-2019-12-10-04-29-40.jpg?1575963679

tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1575963675

I really like the changes you are considering. I think there is still some scope for rethinking the "stations" on the outer walls.

Perhaps if the consoles were rotated so people are facing into the centre of the room. With information and access panels behind against the walls.

I think this image is one of the closest examples we have gotten to seeing an operations room in a station/orbital facility.
    50f9ft24s195.png

---

And Measure of a Man shows a taller multi-level room
    cxx8fvackpz8.png

I know those images are not entirely era correct - but they do feel different from a starship.
    RekkertBrandenberg
    I like the new layout.
    Though I think you could have the doorway area a little smaller, so you can have three work station on either side of the office.
    And still retain the two at the back.

Or you could still have one the same size (leading to the main corridor) but the other one smaller leading off to small transporter room/ Conference room or even rest room.
    Rekkert
    edited December 2019 #2449
    @Viper: Yes, I had the same thought, somehow it looks more like a nerve center with this layout. :)

@mdta: Again, that's not really what I wanted to do with this project. A larger station like Earth Spacedock (which is something absurd like 15 times the size of this station) might have a far larger control room and have it make more sense, but for this size and this particular design, I don't see a need for it. :)

Funny you mention Epsilon IX, the very first design for its control room was a hell of a lot bigger than the final set, probably more akin to what you're suggesting.

However in the movie it ended up being a reuse of some wall panels from the Orbital Complex transporter room, with a circumference and ceiling height both smaller than the Constitution bridge. That works for an "outpost" like Epsilon, but it's far too small for a station of this size.

tmphd0086.jpg
    tmphd0089.jpg
    As for the lounge from 'Measure of a Man', that's a totally different thing; we know lounges are always bigger. Even on the original claustrophic Enterprise from TMP, there was a deck-and-a-half tall lounge at the back of the bridge module, very similar to that from 'Measure'. I would imagine that if I ever do a lounge for this station, it would likewise be far bigger. :)

@Freak: The problem with either 2-3-2 or 3-2-3 configurations is that I've used those on ship bridges, so it creates the same problem of not being really all that different.

Okey, given the universal preference for the new layout, it's staying. And good thing too, because when I went to bed yesterday I designed a whole deck 1 for the station, which I've digitized today. :p
    tadeo-d-oria-layout-ops.jpg?1576040874
    I'll certainly be interested in returning to this project and doing other rooms on this station later down the line, having them laid out this way makes that a lot easier.

I've swapped the new screen for a dedicated area for the plaque, similar to that seen on the Nebula-Class USS Prometheus from DS9. Given the far bigger dedication plaque here (and the little homage it has to DC Fontana), I think it merits a special place.

Also, I changed the way the biobed monitors connect to the ceiling somewhat. The previous version just looked too much like a Cyberman head from Doctor Who to me.
    The LCARS and console placement is also somewhat changed, plus there are some more details on the alcoves (like the red labels in the ceiling). I'm quite happy with how this turned out, and I'll be giving it a close for now, moving forward with rendering out the usual barrage of pics. I wanted to take the chance to honor the unofficial mother of Trek, but it's time for me to get back to work now. :p
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1576040883
    mdtaevil_genius_180FreakJMP11ashleytingerLizzy777Warp Propulsion LaboratoryBrandenberg
    Absolutely love it :)
    I see your point, and after seeing the layout for the rest of the deck it make sense.
    The only thing I would change is the mess hall at the back. I am guess it just for uses by the crew that man ops?
    If that is the case it way to big. But I not sure what you could change it to. You don't really need a second conference room.
    though if it was a Mess Hall / Rest Room for office to take a break during their shift it would work. But that was personal thing.

One other thing that I find trek designs are missing are stairs to lower decks. This is not to knock on you design I love it.
    It has always bothered me that there never seems to be any on blueprints. Turbolifts are great for getting around ships and stations. But if the turbolifts go down, you need to use a Jefferies Tube. when stairs get you there quicker.
    As for issues of hull breaches, not a major issue really. Look at any navel ship and you will see a hatch that will close over the stair sealing decks off. For Trek these hatches could be built into the floor.
    I know why we never seen this on screen due to way the set where designed. IE always being on ground level and never have a multilevel set unless it was something like the Promenade or Ops in DS9. But there is nothing saying stair can't be used to get between decks on a Federation ship/station.
    I just don't get why fan never but them in their fan blueprints.
    Viper wrote: »
    Absolutely love it :)

Me too. :D
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2014 Central OhioPosts: 1,245Member
    That came out fantastic. I really love the thought put into the layout. :)
    edited December 2019 #2454
    Glad you all like this one, seems like the last minute change of layout was certainly the right call. I need to start giving these personal projects some time once I consider them done, precisely so that ideas like that one can occur. :)

@Freak: Yes, I imagine that mess more as a break room with a couple of tables for the people working at Ops. If it's too big, I could add in a couple of sofas. :)

Regarding the stairs, all ships are supposed to have them, in fact the Ent-D's neck was directly designed that way to house a big staircase. We never saw them on the show for budgetary reasons, but most deckplans have them. They usually start on deck 2 though, as the various bridge modules seen in Trek are usually super small and a staircase wouldn't fit in there. I used that same logic here, there are stairs on the station, but they start below Ops. :)
    tumblr_o2xqizY5KC1rzu2xzo1_1280.jpg

As I mentioned before, I made the exterior model available for download on SketchFab. It's super low-poly, but feel free to play around with it:
    https://sketchfab.com/models/e3afcbb30eb44fcabda657faa6cbaeb7#UNIQSKFBVANILLA

Here are the finished renders! I've added some more last minute changes (because of course I did), most notably a light above the dedication plaque. On the cutaway I've also named the station class as Tranquility. I wanted to use a synonym of 'armistice' or 'concord', given the diplomatic nature of the base, and I found that Tranquility worked in more ways than one.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1576103642
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1576103646
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1576103650
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1576103654
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1576103657
    tadeo-d-oria-c6-01.jpg?1576103635
    tadeo-d-oria-c7-01.jpg?1576103639
    tadeo-d-oria-fontana-station-ops-cutaway.jpg?1576112937
    evil_genius_180JMP11Warp Propulsion LaboratoryashleytingerFreakLizzy777Brandenberg
    I love it. It's clearly not a starship bridge, yet it has a great unified look with the bridges we've seen, indicating a common technology and design style. Considering how rooms like this were usually just put together using set bits that were available on the shows, it's nice to see one fully thought out and designed to be exactly what it is.
    Rekkert
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    Looking at this works makes it easy to imagine an entire show based on this station, like a TMP era DS9 :)
    Rekkert
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    At the risk of sounding like a McDonald's commercial - I'm loving it.
    Rekkert
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Ohhh, nce. Love seeing you put out starbase-OPS designs now :) Those really do get too little cred
    Rekkert
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,565Member
    That Federation flag is beautiful. And I love your new floor plan layout!
    Rekkert
  • Zhor2395Zhor2395344 MN, USAPosts: 92Member
    Love your work
    Rekkert
    "It's just like bumper cars...where everyone dies." ~Penny Robinson
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    That Federation flag is beautiful. And I love your new floor plan layout!

Oh goodness. I never thought about how hard it would be to do a flag on a vertical pole like that. I'm in awe and bow to the master.

Rekkert