Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    This is absolutely brilliant!
    Rekkert
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Thanks for the comments, I'm glad you enjoyed seeing the sickbay take shape! :)

@Freak: Well, we were doing just that back in the Stage 9 days, with both the Enterprise-D and Defiant (though the later was mostly a one-man job done by the incredibly talented @Aeries). Still, it takes a hell of a lot of time, not to mention that it's not that interesting to do so in a 3D modeling software without making it interactive, and we know what ends up happening with that...

@BlueNeumann: Agreed on the bigger doors, similar to those on NX-01's sickbay. The Enterprise-D supposedly had a big reception-like entrance to the sickbay complex (used mostly for civilians, as we saw on the show the crew just entered directly to sickbay from what's supposed to be the aft entrance.) While it's a big task, I'd love to do something like that, to give it a proper hospital-like entrance.

First, an update on the Probert concept bridge. I've been focusing on the ceiling to get some finalized lighting, and while I did manage to get the shape right, I needed to essentially destroy the viewscreen to get it to work, so now I have to redo the front of the set. I've decided to let that as it is for now, and to focus on the center of the bridge first. I've finished the area behind the main couch, though I have yet to fill it with plants and properly texture it.

tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1574628117

Second, another commission I have been working on for a while, the bridge of the Constitution-Class USS Gibraltar, brought out of mothballs and hastily modernized for the Dominion War.

The base for this bridge is the classic Constitution bridge, but given its "quick and dirty" modernization, some aspects will be brand new (like the pit area, inspired on the Prometheus), while others will retain the 23th Century look (like the ceiling and rails).

Still a lot to do here, like adding a tactical console behind the Captain, and modeling the 4 Prometheus-style consoles that will go on the pit.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1574628110
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180Lizzy777FreakBrandenberg
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    The Probert concept bridge is looking good. The updated Connie bridge is sweet. I like the updated LCARS and the added cutout with the doorways and MSD based on the Excelsior. The Sovereign class command chair is a really nice touch. The idea for the conn and ops (or helm and nav) stations and tactical station sounds cool too.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    That Constitution is going to look interesting!
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Rekkert wrote: »
    @Freak: Well, we were doing just that back in the Stage 9 days, with both the Enterprise-D and Defiant (though the later was mostly a one-man job done by the incredibly talented @Aeries). Still, it takes a hell of a lot of time, not to mention that it's not that interesting to do so in a 3D modeling software without making it interactive, and we know what ends up happening with that...

CBS are a bunch of D***'s for doing that.
    Can't remember but wasn't the Stage 9 project going to be realised for free when you where done?
    You guy's should have gone underground and carried on working and then realised it "privately" to a few people who passed it on etc.
    Then there would be nothing CBS could do about it.

The Prototype bridge is looking great!

• I14R10I14R1070 Posts: 140Member
    edited November 2019 #2407
    Freak wrote: »
    You guy's should have gone underground and carried on working and then realised it "privately" to a few people who passed it on etc.
    Then there would be nothing CBS could do about it.

I wouldn't play around with stuff like that. As much as we hate it, CBS owns it and in the case of lawsuit, the court will always rule in their favor.
    Post edited by I14R10 on
    Yeah CBS owns the IP Rights, but if you are creating something for a hobby and not for profit, there not much they can do.
    If they could that would mean that people making cosplay costumes would have to stop, us making models would have to stop. a little kids drawing Spock or someone writing fan fiction would have to stop, etc. There is no way they could sue all of these people.

The only reason CBS brought told Studio 9 to stop, was that the fan community was liking what they where seeing and it was far better than anything that CBS has plans for.
    Same with Fan films, Star Trek Continues and New Voyager and very popular as well as Axanar.
    Problem with Axanar was the money it brought it, even though it was not for profit but used to build studios and hire people many of who had worked on Trek in the past. They where doing something that fan have been more excited about that STD.
    CBS hated that and brought the law suit. It also did not help that Alac Peters has been playing around with the money they raised.
    edited December 2019 #2409
    Yeah, I'm not really in the mood to discuss IP laws, but yeah, CBS is in their right to shut down any fan endeavor they don't like, just as any IP holder does of any IP they own. Despite talking to their lawyers wanting to reach an agreement and make any change to continue forward, we were forced to shut down the project. Keeping it "underground" was not an option as they already knew who we were, they'd know who to go after once released. Not to mention, it's not the same to develop something just for yourself without being able to share it.

Also, as someone who was involved with a fan project around the same time and who talked with several people "in the known", what Alec Peters and Axanar did was 100% in the wrong, from pretty much every angle imaginable. The naive in me wishes that CBS would have allowed us to continue as non-profit, but Axanar deserved getting shut down for all they've done.

2019 won't go away without a fight, it seems. Last Tuesday my aunt passed away due to cancer, she was 46. My mother and I were the only close relatives, so we had to take care of things, it hasn't been an easy week... Can this year end already?

With this preamble, I did get some work done as I got a timely request for a very simple commission during the weekend. A redress of the Frontier bridge as the Galaxy-Class USS Nimitz bridge. A more militaristic ship launched during the Dominion War, the ship has bare metal components on the bridge replacing the wood seen in peacetime designs.

I'll be doing a battle bridge for the Nimitz as well, based on the designs of the Frontier and Galaxy battle bridges.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1575329464
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1575329468
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1575329472
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1575329475
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1575329479
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-nimitz-bridge-cutaway.jpg?1575329452
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    rojrenevil_genius_180ashleytingerBrandenbergLizzy777FreakslybrarianI14R10
    Alec Peters was trying to use Axanar to raise revenue to open his own studio. (he blatantly said so) That alone was reason to shut them down, as rule #1 of fan films has always been that you can't make a profit. Add to that the fact that he was selling unlicensed merchandise at cons. And, those are just two of the things he did wrong. So, as much as fans like to blame big bad CBS, he was totally in the wrong on many levels. All of the people who blame CBS for killing fan films and projects need to swing that finger around and point it straight at Peters, as other fan production companies were following the rules, so CBS didn't bother them much. I also was working on a fan film at the time and heard a lot of what was going on and how Peters was blatantly ignoring several C&D letters from CBS, so the ensuing lawsuit came as no surprise to me. He bit the hand, and CBS bit back.

I'm very sorry to hear about your aunt. She wasn't very old. Unfortunately, cancer doesn't care about age, gender, race or any other factors. It definitely seems like 2019 has been bad for you, I hope 2020 goes better.

Having said all that, the bridge looks great.
    RekkertPreViz
  • JMP11JMP1151 Posts: 130Member
    edited December 2019 #2411
    Sorry for your loss. Hopefully 2020 is better :)

Very sleek! The bridge gives me “Into Darkness” Galaxy class vibes (but not in a bad way lol). I can’t remember Admiral Marcus’ ship name... and I’m too lazy to look it up, but that’s what it makes me think of :p
    Post edited by JMP11 on
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Gosh, that's beautiful! @Rekkert

Sorry about the untimely passing of your aunt. 46 isn't enough years (but then technically neither is 90).
    A lot is actually known about why we get cancer. No one pays any attention to it though.

I hope 2020 is much better for all of us.
    edited December 2019 #2413
    @Rekkert Sorry to hear about your aunt.

Bridge look great, Loving the details you have put into this.

With Alec Peter, I heard some stories about him but did not want to make comment here.
    The guys comes across as a right knob. I subscribed to his channel, but after one video I unsubscribed.
    He is also suing the guy that stayed with him though the whole law suit again, Robert Mayer Burnett. Alec is claiming RMB stole money from the production, however RMB kept records of everything he spent from the money he was given for the production.
    Hell he was even paid a salary by Peters.
    Check out the TheBurnettwork.net it all there and everything they planned to do if they could have made the full fan film.
    Post edited by Freak on
    Sorry to heat about your loss. :(
  • ViperViper1678 Posts: 717Administrator
    My condolences man. She was far too young.

Love the bridge though. I know it's not the star trek look, but black is always an excellent choice ;)
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    edited December 2019 #2416
    Rekkert wrote: »
    2019 won't go away without a fight, it seems. Last Tuesday my aunt passed away due to cancer, she was 46. My mother and I were the only close relatives, so we had to take care of things, it hasn't been an easy week... Can this year end already?

I’m deeply sorry to hear about your loss, Rekkert. I know how you feel about 2019. Nice work on the Nimitz bridge, though I think the isolinear equipment could be switched with bio-neural circuitry... otherwise it’s literally a carbon copy of my Frontier bridge, just with different colors/materials. It would be nice to see more individual takes on design, rather than just copying what others think up.
    Post edited by BolianAdmiral on
    edited December 2019 #2417
    Thanks everyone for the nice comments, I really appreciate them in a time like this. :)

@BolianAdmiral: While I may agree with the sentiment, this is still my job, and I can't say no to a paying client just because "the idea is not original enough". You know I kept certain original ideas off limits to others, but I can't do that for every single design, I wouldn't be able to pay the bills. Besides, we're all playing is someone else's ideas box anyway, even the most original design I've ever done is still derivative of Probert, Sterbach, etc.

Been working on the Nimitz battle bridge, and I'll probably finish that commission before working on this some more, but I wanted to start the conversation about this, as I could use the feedback. Given recent events I've been working on a little side project: Fontana Station. A starbase orbiting above Babel, built in the late 23th Century.

tadeo-d-oria-c2-03.jpg?1575643355
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1575643087

I wanted to honor DC Fontana with something a bit more important (in-universe) than just a random "USS Fontana", so I retooled my old and unfinished USS Valkyrie bridge project into a starbase ops center. The location of the starbase obviously makes reference to what might be her most famous contribution to Trek, while all the red accents are a callback to the TOS era she helped define so much.

The name "Fontana Station" rather than "Starbase" in a callback to the fact she wrote 'Encounter at Farpoint', and on that episode the first term is used to refer to Farpoint, rather than the latter.

Finally, I was gonna make the starbase just a simple Regula I clone, but after reading about Babel in Memory Alpha I came to a realization. According to Star Trek Maps, it's a small planetoid with 3 moons, and that reminded me of a certain painting by Rick Sternbach.

station-picard-painting.jpg

So, I did a quick and very much low poly model of that station, which I always liked very much, and retconned the painting from Picard's quarters in my head-canon to be a painting of Fontana Station over Babel.

The ops set itself is mostly done, but LCARS and other details are still missing, and will have to wait 'till I finish the Nimitz. I decided to add the little model as an hologram, though I don't know how good it works in the late 23th Century aesthetics. What do you folks think, does it work in there?
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    GuerrillaFreakslybrarianevil_genius_180Lizzy777
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    The blue sphere makes me think Death Star, with Fontana Station looking like battle station innards. Maybe more of an LCARS look would fit better?
    Rekkert
    I the like the ops room.

Fontana Station is a nice tribute to who I see as the mother of Star Trek.
    Rekkert
    No worries, Rekkert... I understand about paying the bills and all that. And you’re right about us all playing in the same sandbox. I’m absolutely loving that Fontana Station hologram... very nice!
    Rekkert
    I never saw that concept by Rick before. I think to fit the TMP aesthetic better, I would change the shape of the saucer section to a bit more angular. The round shape like that fits TOS better. But it's a really nice station design. Do you have plans to model the exterior in more detail?

As for the hologram, I think it works. At some point we need to leave the constraints of the technology of when the movies were made behind. As long as it looks TMP, it should be fine :) I also love the red carpet. I'm going to try that on my ship interiors. I was trying blue and green but it was not working.
    Rekkert
    edited December 2019 #2422
    @Viper I think you can see it hanging in Picard ready Room in TNG.
    Post edited by Freak on
    Rekkert
    In his quarters, actually. :)

AccomGalaxy3.jpg
    Yeah, I would never remember that, lol :p
    Rekkert
    I'd keep the station hologram, but maybe change the circular part of it to be the planetoid below? Or drop it all together and have light floating highlights pointing to differing parts of the station?
    Rekkert
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918266 Posts: 451Member
    edited December 2019 #2426
    I sure have no problem with such a thing. Keep in mind there was a hologram game, albeit a crude one, seen in "Star Trek III: The Search for Spock:"

movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tsfshd/tsfshd0440.jpg
    Post edited by Rusty0918 on
    Rekkert
    I always forget about details from ST:III, TMP and FF =)
    Rekkert
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Yeah, we're going to miss DC Fontana. I'm glad you named a station after her. I hope you complete the station.
    Rekkert
    You know, thinking of that sickbay set... the wing of the hospital I’m in is basically a perfect circle... it’s giving me ideas for the layout of an Oberth or Miranda medical or science deck.
    Rekkert
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918266 Posts: 451Member
    You know, thinking of that sickbay set... the wing of the hospital I’m in is basically a perfect circle... it’s giving me ideas for the layout of an Oberth or Miranda medical or science deck.

Might be good for Fontana Station's infirmary! ;)

BolianAdmiralRekkert
    That's a nice looking space station ops center, and a really nice tribute to D.C. Fontana.
    Rekkertscifieric