Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• Rusty0918Rusty0918267 Posts: 453Member
    edited July 2021 #3272
    @seanr, @BolianAdmiral

Sorry about that. I think it was best to give Rekkert (and others who post their work here) some space; he's probably got a whole bit more on his plate than just 3D modelling Trek stuff.
    Post edited by Rusty0918 on
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    @Rusty0918 Well for starters, no one is encroaching on Rekkert to begin with, he updated the thread, so he had all the space and time he could ever want. So I really see no point in your lashout and arguing about it.....
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    edited July 2021 #3274
    FFS let this tangent die already, it wasn't a necropost and a comment on the thread won't derail my life.
    I wouldn't be posting here to expect space and no comments, and if I have more important stuff then I wouldn't be checking the forum anyway.
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    darkthunderGuerrillaAresius
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • darkthunderdarkthunder408 SwedenPosts: 102Member
    Noone likes an armchair-moderator @Rusty0918

No necroposting was done. @Rekkert didn't mind the comments that were done prior to your offtopic discussion. Seems you have a bigger issue about this than he/she/they do.
    Aresius
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla795 HelsinkiPosts: 2,867Administrator
    Yeah, not sure what the issue was, but that'll be enough of this silliness. We have some people digging up decade old threads, so a couple of weeks is hardly an issue. Not everyone is here every day, after all. There's also automation in place to combat necroposting, although at times it seems the messages may as well be invisible. :eyeroll:

But the bigger issue here, is that even if there was a necropost (you can usually tell by the ominous Necropost tag on the index; has a skull on it and everything) it's very muchnot your prerogative to enforce the rules here. In fact, the Community Guidelines explicitly tells you not to, and leave any enforcement to staff.

So everyone chill. Case closed.
    Aresius
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
    I'm VERY sorry that I overstepped out of line here. I didn't know what I did would cause so much fuss. I will never, ever post anything like that again.
    edited August 2021 #3278
    Took a few days off of commissions and work in general to finally start on a personal project I've mentioned several times before: the Potemkin observation lounge. Despite the name and location behind the bridge, this is not a conference/briefing room, but rather a lounge for relaxing while off-duty, mirroring the TMP era officers' lounge. Thus this is also not supposed to be a mess or a Ten Forward equivalent.

Given the ridiculously tiny size of the Excelsior bridge module, it's impossible to fit any usable room into it, so I didn't even try to match the exterior on this one. The structure of the room itself is supposed to be the same shape as the Enterprise-D lounge, except for the flat wall opposite the windows and the added verticality. Still, I already modeled the standard TNG back wall for the room, so it'll be very straightforward to convert it into a regular conference room set.

Overall the project is nearly done already, despite having started it less than 30 hours ago. The benefits of having tons of items already modeled, I guess. There's still the usual props scattered through the room to add, and maybe some other elements I'm missing. I'm once again using Chris Kuhn's amazing Excelsior model for the exterior.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1628610558
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1628610568
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1628610577
    lewisnivenBolianAdmiralashleytingerDoctorShmullusraztovLizzy777Warp Propulsion LaboratoryTenaciousMCRory1707
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,565Member
    I absolutely love this. And I like the door design!
    RekkertRory1707
  • Captain SerekCaptain Serek419 Burbank CaliforniaPosts: 90Member
    Nice work per usual.
    Rekkert
    I've come a long way for the power of Genesis and what do I find? A Square Pegs reject, another actress playing Saavik and Leonard Nimoy's stand-in.
  • Rory1707Rory1707232 Posts: 238Member
    This is so amazing my friend! Great job! 🖖🏾
    Rekkert
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2014 Central OhioPosts: 1,245Member
    I love the layout and verticality of it. And yes, very much has that officer's lounge feel to it. Nice work.
    RekkertRory1707
  • DoctorShmullusDoctorShmullus54 Posts: 37Member
    I’m overjoyed to see the return of the Potemkin! I love the lighting in the observation lounge, it gives the entire space such a calm feeling. It is fitting for the purpose it serves.
    Rekkert
    ILM never cared much about scaling. I agree, the bridge module that was put in for the Excelsior for TUC was totally out of scale with the rest of ship; as someone commented, it "was meant for smurfs." Another such example is the Oberth which has ILM dimensions that seem a bit too small for it, as some have pointed out.
    Rekkert
    Thanks for the comments everyone, I'm glad you like the room!

@BolianAdmiral: Heh, I'm very pleased with those doors myself, even if they were something of an afterthought. I originally planned on using the Ten Forward style doors, but they're so tall that they wouldn't fit. So I grabbed the doors from the Potemkin engineering set and added the glass insets to it.

I've added insets for the ceiling lights, further pushing them upwards a bit. This was suggested to me by @Donny and it matches how I had tackled the ceilings for other TNG era rooms where the original sets didn't actually had one, such as the transporter room.

Other than that, I've scattered the usual red labels and props all over the room. I could've added more sconces or other props which I already have available, (not to mention paneling on the walls, like how I did on the Potemkin ready room), but I consciously wanted to leave this room clean, lowly lit, and a bit empty. This has two purposes: First, as a room for relaxation keeping it visually uncluttered makes sense as an in-universe goal for the designers; access panels and the like are kept at a minimum and hidden behind the acoustic panels rather than in plain sight, for example. Second, thinking about it as a "TNG redress", it fits in with the budget and time limits the set designers would've had to work with.

I did model a new 3D chess set for the room though, which is identical to the one used in Ten Forward. Well, I should say an idealized-version of that set, instead of "identical", as it has all matching pieces and all the stands for the secondary boards in place, while the TNG used prop often had stuff missing or the pieces replaced with cheap ones painted metal grey.

tadeo-d-oria-c0-01.jpg?1628727154
    tadeo-d-oria-c0-03.jpg?1628727817
    tadeo-d-oria-c0-02.jpg?1628727161
    ashleytingerdarkthunderBolianAdmiralDoctorShmullusWarp Propulsion LaboratoryTenaciousMCrojrenRory1707Lizzy777
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    Whoa how did I miss this one? Awesome work!
    Rekkert
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
    Great stuff per usual.
    Rekkert
    I've come a long way for the power of Genesis and what do I find? A Square Pegs reject, another actress playing Saavik and Leonard Nimoy's stand-in.
    I’m really enjoying this render! 🖖🏾
    Rekkert
    edited August 2021 #3289
    @Warp Propulsion Laboratory: Haha, well to be fair I only started it on Monday, hasn't been going for that long. :p

And it's done! The interior hasn't really changed from the previous renders, but I did model the exterior a bit, again just like what we saw on the TNG lounge.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1628807913
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1628807922
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1628807930
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1628807939
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1628807946
    tadeo-d-oria-c6-01.jpg?1628807954
    tadeo-d-oria-c7-01.jpg?1628807961
    tadeo-d-oria-c8-01.jpg?1628807968
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-potemkin-observation-lounge-cutaway.jpg?1628807976

Also, just because I find it funny, here's how the ship exterior looks; I removed all the bits that aren't visible to keep the file size manageable.
    tadeo-d-oria-screenshot-from-2021-08-13-02-43-34.jpg?1628833857
    raztovDoctorShmullusashleytingerBolianAdmiralCaptain SerekRory1707Warp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777
    It is a shame how they botched the scaling of the Excelsior Class, but I think you’ve done a fantastic job with scaling on your Potemkin interiors. This room turned out great and I can’t wait to see what you decide to tackle next!
    Rekkert
    Excellent per usual.
    Rekkert
    Beautiful lounge my friend! Love how you’re able to give us an idea where the lounge is (to scale) on board the Potemkin! Great job…as always! 🖖🏾
    Rekkert
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    Interesting how the bridge module would scale with the rest of the ship if the lounge were that size. Have you thought about doing the rest, including the exterior?
    Rekkert
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
    I recently thought that bridge module on the Excelsior isn't exactly a bridge module, but stuff mounted above the bridge module such as sensor goodies and stuff. It would make more sense.
    Rekkert
    @Warp Propulsion Laboratory: I certainly won't do the exterior, but I have already done the bridge itself, and the way I imagine it there's not really much else on deck 1; both the ready room and briefing room are on deck 2 in my view. Regarding the exterior and scaling, this is what just the bridge (which is the same diameter as the TUC Excelsior bridge) looks like next to the bridge module. As you can see, to make it (and the side turbolifts) fit it'd have to be pretty much the same size as the deck 2 structure:
    tadeo-d-oria-screenshot-from-2020-05-24-21-20-47.jpg?1592615573

@Rusty0918: Yeah, but then why would it be shaped like a bridge module and have windows in all the correct spots, with just the wrong scale. The whole ship has a bad scale, even leaving the bridge module aside; you either have to assume it's bigger than the official figure, or ignore it and work around it. Not even the Galaxy-Class was designed in a way in which everything actually fits inside the bridge module.

You all knew this was coming, didn't you? And yes, I'll be using the correct silhouettes for the ship sculptures, as I always do with MSDs and LCARS, I like to "correct" those little things.
    tadeo-d-oria-c0-01.jpg?1628901491
    Lizzy777ashleytingerRory1707Warp Propulsion LaboratoryBolianAdmiralDoctorShmullus
    @Rekkert - yeah I guess you're right there. Though one could take artistic license and pretend those viewports weren't there, making it quite possible that it's just some sensor crud and that the bridge is that lower part of the circle, which would make quite a bit more sense in scaling.

Looks like you're doing the Season 2-4 version of the TNG conference lounge (the Season 1 was a redress of the sickbay set!). Going to do the Season 5-7 one too?
    Rekkert
    That conference room is looking sweet.
    Rekkert
    edited August 2021 #3298
    Indeed, it's the "middle version" of the lounge, specifically early season 4 before the two other keypads were added on the other side of the screens. By season 5 (after its redress for 'The Undiscovered Country') the room was drastically different, with horizontal lights added below the windows; a new carpet pattern; always-on "screens" displaying generic LCARS; a replicator added near the port door; no space paintings on the walls; and the whole inner wall with the ship sculptures replaced by a new one with rather boring looking triangular patterns. I'll be doing just this version now, but I'm sure I'll do that other version someday. As for the season 1 version... we don't talk about the season 1 version.

I had to shorten the table a bit from what I had in the previous render, as it was clearly far too long once I placed the chairs around it. Speaking of which, I also tweaked the chairs; making the back a bit more angled and rotated backwards. I've also changed the materials of the whole room somewhat, to be more accurate. As with all TNG sets, it was very unevenly lit through the series, even in the same season, so this mostly targeting the lighting of BoBW 2. Mostly.

Finally, I added a small "exterior", simulating the view outside. Which as you can see isn't very interesting, but is accurate as to how it would look like given the shape of the Galaxy-Class, no nacelles or really any features are identifiable on the outside given just how big the saucer is and how low the nacelles are placed.

I'll probably sleep on it and tweak the lighting/materials a bit more tomorrow, but I think it's finished, as 90% of the work was already done when I tackled the Potemkin lounge (and the ships which I did years ago for Stage 9).

tadeo-d-oria-c0-01.jpg?1628921110
    tadeo-d-oria-c0-02.jpg?1628921119
    BolianAdmiralDoctorShmullusWarp Propulsion LaboratoryRory1707raztov
    Where is the Space Shuttle Enterprise?
    Rekkert
  • richiewilchrichiewilch57 Posts: 41Member
    edited August 2021 #3300
    The lounge is awesome stuff. I have a personal bias whenever you post images from your Potemkin project, as I love the Excelsior stuff that you do, and I get to feature your work on my rpg's website, along with the other Potemkin Interiors that you've done, being that its also Excelsior class. When you mentioned some time ago doing this one, I hadn't expected it to be this grand, but I love it.
    Post edited by richiewilch on
    Rekkert
    Perhaps it is simply the angle that’s throwing me off, but aren’t the walls a bit high up compared to the table and chairs? Otherwise, great work thus far!
    Rekkert