Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Star Trek Thread

• ChiefBrexChiefBrex256 North CarolinaPosts: 110Member
    I think you can do recessed windows, and still keep the extruded plating. I feel like the Klingons would "reinforce" the windows by the extra layer of plating around them. It would continue to give the Vor'Cha that armored look.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1664 CaliforniaPosts: 1,940Member
    Yeah, good thought. I decided that @evil_genius_180 was right. I can’t put all the effort into other aspects of the Vor’Cha and then take the windows lightly. However I am still liking the (as you say) plating around them.
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Something I noticed with your reference images, @Brandenberg. It appears the 'struts' between the grills are not straight, like you've got on the model at the moment. See the red lines below...

p3o8yfzozyp9.png

The blue lines - I'd recommend some chamferred edges here to get rid of that very CG sharpness that's there right now.

Keep up the great work, mate. :)

One thing - It's hard to see some of the details on the model in the current lighting setup. Specifically - what edges are, in fact, sharp and which are rounded. Have you tried using a HDRI-lit scene? If you're using Vray - a few of us use them these days and if you're after some tips, jump into the Discord channel and some of the regulars can talk you through it.
    edited September 2019 #425
    @Comco Thanks. I'll fix that.

I looked up Vray. It seems to be available for almost every 3D package except Lightwave. Not being familiar with what it is or how it works, I wouldn't be able to determine if Vray for one of the other packages would work for Lightwave.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9792 Posts: 5,323Member
    Wow, great answers from all. More helpful than I expected.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    To me ignoring memory it looks like the model was planned to have rectangular windows and it was either changed or abandoned due to time or costs.
    In the end it is up to interpretation.

Do you think the little rectangle that some of the protruding fiber optic ends protrude from was the intended window size / shape?

@MadKoiFish That Romulan Warbird looks like it needs a shave.
    At most I think it was the modeler going in one direction and having to change directions later. IE the intent to cast this model in clear resin and fiber and light with one large cfl instead of fiber then having to go with fiber. So you get rectangle shapes which were likely the first intent of the windows they would paint the clear resin casting then scrap away the windows with a razor. The issue is the cost and time for a glass sculptor to make the shaped CFL tube for the light. Google around for the Galaxy internal light and youll see the huge cfl loops they used to light that ship. They could have also planned to do a reflective paint on the molded in windows and hit it with light perpendiclular to the ship . Think OG TRON. Instead they drilled a bunch of holes stuffed them with fiber likely cut them long then put the base paint on then cut the fibe down and did a weathering pass and detail pass. I really think the fiberoptics were a OOPS SHIT gotta get this done with half the budget! thing exp given how all the fiber windows are on a inside edge of those "bumps" Meaning it was easier to get the microdrill started and to do so FAST. Only one to really answer all of this would be Gregg Jein though.

Im not really seeing bubbles but more filth. Most of those images you have to accept this is when they were wired up in vegas and not cleaned or properly isolated from filth so there is likely tonnes of grease dust clothing lint and carpet lint all over those models.

Me I would do it in a way that there would be real room boxes behind the rooms. Even if it is just 4 blurry pixels that shift color in animation it is always a tell if you face map detail or just have a glowing hole. However model it as how you see those areas appearing as a real object.

Torps I think were intended to be that housing above the red thing labeled a deflector in the central "maw" however I think they just fudged it and had them come out anywhere near the front of the ship. KIM almost all the blueprints are not official blues but ones made by fans or unofficial 3rd parties who just put whatever on them. Hence why so much is labled this in one that in another and not labled at all in a third. There are like 4 different blues of schematics of this ship all are different.

A tip to pull detail out of ref images it to fool with gamma, levels and, contrast. it can sometimes reveal detail that just isnt clear. Just keep in mind you do not interpate a jpg artifact as detail! Usually if I see something significant I try to locate it in 2 other images before I accept it.

Those vanes I also think they drybrushed some of that hull mint onto the facing edges. Be it sloppy work or an attempt to dull the rust color down. Heck it could just be that a rusty wash on them to make the vanes stand out.
    Brandenberg
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    @MadKoiFish - Really helpful stuff brother. Thanks. B)
    All the panels on the bottom are chamfered. Nearly all the edges are rounded. I added conduit piping on the inside of the long (I think Impulse engines) that isn't on the original model.

xz9j1oy4zzaf.png
    Lizzy777MadKoiFishevil_genius_180
    This render has some subtle changes from the last. I put a bulge into the two Triangular shaped objects at the back of the hull. As you move down the surface from top to bottom the object bows out. I also added a small greeble at front of the top triangular object.

n5cl9q2rs511.png
    MadKoiFishLizzy777evil_genius_180shaved_apeWarp Propulsion LaboratoryRekkertashleytinger
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    The level of detail on this is insane. :)
    Brandenberg
  • shaved_apeshaved_ape433 USAPosts: 158Member
    Impressive...MOST impressive. =)
    Brandenberg
    Totally floored by the quality of this model.
    Brandenberg
    Wow, thanks all. It's nice to hear, especially from a talented bunch like you. I am going to be finalizing some details and attempting to tweak for accuracy. I also have the windows to tackle. Then on to surfacing.
    edited September 2019 #434
    Tweaked a little and then and began working on windows.

3t0yymlw57tb.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777MadKoiFishFreak
    From the side

l58fflwkhic7.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777MadKoiFishFreak
    A new angle

mgy6p3ujeixx.png
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerPhilArtLizzy777MadKoiFishFreak
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    edited September 2019 #437
    This is coming along great! :)
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    Brandenberg
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Exactly what Rekkert said.
    Brandenberg
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2014 Central OhioPosts: 1,245Member
    That is some great modeling right there. Nice work!
    Brandenberg
    Bless you all.

Working on window placement and bottom detail. Every time I look at it, there's something else. Eeeesh.

tyo9bd0zyrzd.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777Freak
    Dude, those details are sick. I love seeing this stuff on my monitor. Usually, I view this stuff on my phone at work, but it's one of my nights off.
    Brandenberg
    Thank-you. I got sicker and felt like the large part of the engines needed access panels.

u3c4g8v2jrt1.png
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180Freak
    edited September 2019 #443
    This new angle gives you a peek at the work I just did on Plating the underside of the triangular assembly at the back. There is also now a window on the side of the front section. It appears (barely) in the image above as well.

7s8ir36giae4.png
    Rekkertevil_genius_180Lizzy777P5ych0p4thMadKoiFishFreak
    That paneling looks really nice.
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    Lovely bit of work.
    Brandenberg
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Damn! That model is sick. Good going.
    Brandenberg
    Thanks guys. Yeah I seem to LOVE Klingon ships. I'm working on the color right now. Mapping and painting. Not sure I like what I have so far but will get it fixed eventually.
    Model looks great. Still think the windows should have that "reinforced" look additional panels, but that's just me.
    I’m actually working on that. There are 4 windows at the back that I did like that.
    edited September 2019 #450
    The color might be a reasonable match to the Christie's photos. I tried to make it slightly greyer to tone down the pink. Go figure. Klingons with pink paint. But then again, prune juice is a warrior's drink- Worf.

u03lg8xdqobg.png
    Lizzy777Freak
    edited September 2019 #451
    Looks good, dude.

You're not the only one who doesn't like the pink. Even though it's not entirely accurate, the Eaglemoss version dropped the pink altogether:

https://shop.eaglemoss.com/usa/star-trek-starships/klingon-vorcha-class-attack-cruiser
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on