Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Star Trek Thread

• BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    edited October 2019 #542
    Comco wrote: »
    Very nice. :) Are you using shadows in those renders above?

Thank-you Comco. On the shadows - no. I need to turn them back on eventually.
    Comco wrote: »
    Really like the internal detail on the Vor'Cha bussards. I'd recommend fogging the glass up a fair bit, though. None of the Trek bussards are transparent enough to see through them clearly into the interior - the glass always tends to be blured so that the internal components are inferred, or just visible.

Thanks, I'll do that. The bussards have bothered me, but I didn't have much inspiration on where to go next.

Post edited by Brandenberg on
    A few things on the underside. There is a protrusion in front of the main hull that will eventually be a large arboretum with a park.

x4hvxtzvap0u.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777
    This thing is going to be a blast to paint.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    The twin navigational deflectors aren't doing a lot for me. But, I like everything else.
    edited October 2019 #546
    At first I wasn't sure, but they've kind of grown on me. I was warming to the idea of having a backup deflector in case one failed.
    I suppose I could try joining them across the middle to make it one oval deflector. It's at least worth a look-see.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    You could have it look like an oval on the outside, but inside it still two deflectors.
  • ViperViper1686 Posts: 717Administrator
    TMP should really have round deflectors. I don't like the twin ones either. Why not just have one? It's a cargo ship after all so it doesn't need huge deflectors. Also, your renders are really bright. Is the hull pure white?
    Viper wrote: »
    Why not just have one?

That's what I was thinking in regards to the deflector.
    I redid the Bussard Collectors less transparent.

ls81q403dhs3.png
    Freakevil_genius_180Lizzy777
    TMP should really have round deflectors. I don't like the twin ones either. Why not just have one? It's a cargo ship after all so it doesn't need huge deflectors. Also, your renders are really bright. Is the hull pure white?
    Why not just have one?

That's what I was thinking in regards to the deflector.

Clearly I need to go another direction. :#

On the white, I discovered my 1701-A coloring was lost when I grabbed my old saucer from a much earlier version of Lightwave. I am in process of working out the new LW 2019 node rendering (Principled BSDF) to give color back to the saucer and hope to reproduce the same on the body. The Principled BSDF is less likely to show the "Lint" artifact in renders. It's working on the Vor'Cha above which is completely done in Lightwave's new Real World programming.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9786 Posts: 5,321Member
    Yeah atm it is less of a noise issue and more of a blown out light bounce. Max does this with a null shader or a object that has no material applied. As mental ray is attempting to get surfacing data it just goes whack and trebbles the bounced light.

My largest concern is the space given to the objects and around them EG the deflector has a small pod behind, torps have a small housing behind the tubes.
    Decided to doodle on one of your renders.

x4hvxtzvap0u-mkfed.png?W=400

The scribble hopefully shows the area with that "corner" next to one of the roll top holds as filled in to avoid inside corners. EXP if you plan to have this as some sort of hardened troop carrier. it also adds a bunch of volume and cuts down on total surface area. Though growing the torp housings to fill that area would look good too. I know in tmp the perceived internal mass is small but a good mechanical illustration to work from is the TNG image of the entire auto loader torp array.

https://i.stack.imgur.com/YKFim.jpg
    http://swiftsure.hyperjump.org/adams/ForwardTorpLau2_files/image006.jpg

I dunno how you would depict a redundant array, TMP the dish itself seems to have been relegated to just deflector and projected shields forward of the ship. Also depends what sources you consider canon.
    BrandenbergLizzy777
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    edited October 2019 #553
    Whoa. As usual, very helpful MKF. I will play with that. In fact I thought I would do a number of designs and get opinions. Here is a rough shot at a first idea I had. It needs refinement

sm88bwoikaxq.png

evil_genius_180Lizzy777Freak
    @MadKoiFish I looked closer at your "chalk" like drawing to the left of the render. Are you saying that is something for the two corners on either side of the Deflector, or is it a deflector shape idea and it's upside down. Is HDW short for hardware? "Use some sort of detail to hint at deflector hardware?"

There are two things in the chalk drawing. A rounder thing on the left and then the recessed area on the right where you suggest filling in to eliminate corners. So the round thing on the left is the deflector and the recessed area is some fill in hardware? I just want to make sure I understand.
    I like that deflector setup.
    edited October 2019 #556
    This one is closer to @MadKoiFish suggestion (I think).

22ekl5ckyddc.png

Lizzy777
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9786 Posts: 5,321Member
    The image is in the same view and angle as the parent render. So the quarter round bits are filling in that negative space created by the cargo spaces and that central superstructure. Yes HDW is hardware, suggesting using that bulged out bit of hull as a mount for say ribs or some other visual tell for additional deflector emitters. EG gubbins to give the idea that there is something going on and hint at the original intended redundancy. Also consider targeting and guidance greebs around the torps. (see the bays in the refit)

Idea of the filler is to avoid all those seams and give the torpedo tubes more hull over the central workings.

x4hvxtzvap0u-mkfed-2.png?w=400
    Here is a paint over with the doodle's idea in relation to the render. And a really loose example of ribbing.
    Lizzy777Comco
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    edited October 2019 #558
    Moving that direction @MadKoiFish

a7fcn8hhchso.png
    edited October 2019 #559
    Almost there:

k778s68xpsii.png
    Lizzy777Rekkert
    I invite people to vote on preference. There is a #1, #2, #3, #4 below each render.
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771259 PNWPosts: 756Member
    I think #4 is the better of the set.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Agreed on #4. :)
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    I like #4 as well.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2014 Central OhioPosts: 1,245Member
    Yeah of the options 4 is working for me
    Well, It looks like MKF's suggestion is the spot on favorite.

In this render it is painfully obvious that I need to do the bridge area again, high poly. You can't see it but I redid the bottom Sensor dome high poly.

m3yuc60gi6bn.png
    Lizzy777Freakevil_genius_180
    I found this page to be pretty useful in narrowing down noise issues in Lightwave:

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/plugins/servlet/mobile?contentId=1861427#content/view/1861427

It's not a direct how to guide on getting rid of noise, but I found it did help get me in the right direction.

Also, when you said 16 was enough previously, I assume you're referring to traditional anti aliasing. Traditional AA maxes out at 16 and is mainly used to smooth the edges on 3D objects. This newer style AA is totally different and 16 is a pretty low number that results in a lot of render noise. In Lightwave, I find 50 isn't bad, but 100 is even better for most scene noise elimination. But, it's all about playing with settings and rendering to see the results to find levels you're happy with. Also, LW does have a built in noise reducer, I think that's also in the render properties. I haven't played with that.

Went through this material. It's the bomb! I think the snow will be reduced on my renders from now on.
    The ship is looking great.

I'm glad that page help. It definitely helped me better understand Lightwave's 8 different sampling things.
    Brandenberg
    edited October 2019 #568
    The only thing it lacks is hyperlinks to instructions on how to altar the sampling count for each of the areas discussed. But I figured it out.

I REALLY appreciated it EG.
    I want to run an idea past all of you. I plan on this being a troop transport (not that Star Trek is really about troops). The bays will contain shuttles for decent to a planet's surface. I'm thinking of a structure toward the back and bottom of the main hull that is like a troop command center.

Thoughts? The structure facing forward on the top/front is an R & R (Ten - Forwardish) place for soldiers.
    The only thing it lacks is hyperlinks to instructions on how to altar the sampling count for each of the areas discussed. But I figured it out.

Yeah, it's a bit lackluster. It doesn't even show an image of the panel that's required to alter stuff. It just gives you a "it's here" type of thing and let you figure it out. But, once you do, it's not bad.
    I want to run an idea past all of you. I plan on this being a troop transport (not that Star Trek is really about troops). The bays will contain shuttles for decent to a planet's surface. I'm thinking of a structure toward the back and bottom of the main hull that is like a troop command center.

Thoughts? The structure facing forward on the top/front is an R & R (Ten - Forwardish) place for soldiers.

Well, it stands to reason that ground troops would be needed for planetary battles. Of course, the Klingons are all into that sort of thing. Had the Organians not forced peace, there would have been a call for ground troops to retake the planet in "Errand of Mercy." Federation ground troops were shown a bit on DS9 during the war with the Klingons. The good thing about your ship is that it was built during a time of heightened hostilities with the Klingons. Gene Roddenberry also wanted to have a contingent of marines aboard the Enterprise, but the idea got dumped at some point and we just got a bunch of redshirts instead. ;) There have also been some other (minor) references to ground troops during the other major wars in the Star Trek timeline. And, of course, they were finally realized with the MACOs on Enterprise. So, there's some precedent there for ground troops, and a troop transport is the best way to carry them to their destination.

Anyway, I think it's a good idea, precedent or not. After all, it's just kind of common sense that not every battle the Federation has fought is going to be starships vs starships.
    Brandenberg