Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTOS U.S.S. Enterprise Filming Sets

TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
edited July 2020 in Work in Progress #1
Not too long ago, I started working on the bridge of the TOS Enterprise as part of a plan to model all of the filming sets used in the series. I've blocked in most of the main components of the bridge for now. The models of Spock and Kirk were made in DAZ 3D Studio.

ts6w5yw2d4dw.png

110934.jpg
Post edited by Tralfaz on
Brandenberg

• BoogerMcBoogerMc176 Posts: 243Member
    Looks good, sounds like a long term endeavor, so good luck. It's funny, I just watched a video on YouTube of Adam Savage (Mythbusters) and his Captain's chair project, it was pretty cool, maybe you could use it for some references if you need them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaVi06DaTk0
  • BlobVanDamBlobVanDam0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks great so far! Can't wait to see the rest of the sets.
    What's your lighting setup for the bridge? I tried to replicate the original set lighting when I made mine, and it did not go too well!
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Thank you everyone.

Been pretty busy lately and haven't had much time to work on the bridge. I did manage to get the Captain's chair completed. Some of the controls were made using grainy screen shots as reference. So, if you see anything that isn't correct, please let me know.

Bridge_0005.jpg
    Brandenberg
  • BoogerMcBoogerMc176 Posts: 243Member
    Based on the one Adam Savage built, it looks spot on.
  • trekkitrekki935 Posts: 1,392Member
    Hi Al,
    very nice, the Captain chair.
    Love it !
  • bernard guignardbernard guignard334 Posts: 48Member
    nice work
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    You already know I love it!
    Thank you.

Did some more work on the Burke chairs. Scaled them up by 8% as they were just a bit too small. Adjusted some of the lighting as well. The major part that I worked on was the Helm and Navigation controls. The astrogator texture was an absolute bear to work on. Found a website called TOSGraphics.com that had a graphic that I used as a guide. There were some parts that I wasn't able to do since I am using an old copy of PaintShop Pro, but tried to get as close as I could. Still have the motorized scanner that pops up at the Helm station, but will do that a bit later.

Bridge_0012.jpg

Bridge_0010.jpg
    Brandenberg
    That is just out-flipp'n-standing!
    Awesome detailing!
    Quick update. Been working on creating animated GIF textures for use on the computer monitors. This is a first test. The separate GIF textures are all timed differently between the frames, but for some reason, they seem to kind of sync up when used in C4D.

[video]
  • trekkitrekki935 Posts: 1,392Member
    Hi Al,
    very beautiful. Can you use GIF animations in C4D as texture?
    greetings
    Trekki
    Tralfaz wrote: »
    Quick update. Been working on creating animated GIF textures for use on the computer monitors. This is a first test. The separate GIF textures are all timed differently between the frames, but for some reason, they seem to kind of sync up when used in C4D.

[video]

I don't use C4D, but is it possible it doesn't recognize variable frame times and just plays them all back at a fixed speed? Perhaps try exporting them as videos at a fixed frame rate like 15/30 fps possibly in a format like .mov (with png compression or something) if it supports it.
    It's going to look so cool with all of those animated boards in there!
    Thanks Trekki. Yes, C4D can use animated GIF images for textures. That is how I was able to get the computer displays to work. There are 4 separate GIF's being used here.

Thanks BlobVanDam. I believe when I created the animated GIF, I told the software that it was to be 24 frames per second. The timing between each frame was in 1/100ths of a second and I guess it averaged the time the best it could. In C4D, you can have the animation sync to each frame or second. I chose frame as it was more granular. At least I think that is how it works. So, at 24fps, each frame would cover .0417 seconds. And if this is true, then I can kind of see how things would appear to sync up.
  • SeanPSeanP218 Posts: 256Member
    Looks great, can't wait to see it finished. :)
  • seanrseanr1097 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 594Member
    All the images are broken (3rd party hosting temporarily disabled) - looks like you've hit some kind of download limit?
    Can't believe it's been 2 years since I worked on this. Well, decided to get back to it. Want to have a crew for the bridge, so started creating them using DAZ 3D.

nokh1bfz7xu1.png

RekkertLizzy777Freakevil_genius_180Warp Propulsion LaboratorypubliusrBrandenberg
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    Oh come on! Shatner isn't heroically sucking in his gut ... this is totally unrealistic! :-P

Other than that, it looks great! :-D
    Warp Propulsion Laboratory
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804255 Posts: 11,034Member
    They both look good, but something seems off about Kirk's hair.
    Thanks folks. Shatner started getting a bit pudgy in the later seasons. This is pre-donut era. As for his hair, it was the closest I could find for his haircut. Not perfect, but far better than I could have done from scratch.
    Tralfaz wrote: »
    As for his hair, it was the closest I could find for his haircut. Not perfect, but far better than I could have done from scratch.

Don't get me wrong, it looks good, way better than I could have done. It's definitely close enough. :)
    No problem. I appreciate all critiques whether good or bad. If it came off like I was a bit upset, I apologize. Have no social skills at all!
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1989 Central OhioPosts: 1,225Member
    Nice work! DAZ can be both a blessing and a curse ;)
    Tralfaz! Good to see you back in action, Sir! Especially on this project.
    Kirk and Spock in their native setting...

ts6w5yw2d4dw.png
    evil_genius_180P5ych0p4thLizzy777FreakAdam WarnockBrandenberg
    They look great. :)
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Very nice!
  • seanrseanr1097 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 594Member
    Quite well done! I have a lot of respect for anyone who models all of the buttons - I did that exactly once and am unlikely to repeat it (good thing I like Okudagrams better anyway!). :D