Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9696 Posts: 5,299Member
    edited September 2019 #1262
    I think they overemphasize the threat level of hacks. There has not been a huge threat since Blaster and that was what 2004? Once the script kiddies loast thier ways into home systems and botnets have lost the power they have moved on to other things. it is mostly the spam exploiters that are a reail issue now and none of that is os targeted but server and client side attacks. It is like terrorism make a huge stink about it to make people fear things so they do not question other worse shit that is going on.

I have very little worry over security issues as MS has not provided anything for over a decade now. If anything the antivirius tools are more of a threat to a system. Damned subscription based malware.

The real issue for me is the HDW end and newer drivers/software out there that is divorcing from the basecode. So mostly .net and vb. These are the things that are going to push me to update.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804255 Posts: 11,034Member
    edited September 2019 #1263
    To be honest, most hackers are after companies, not individuals. Your ISP's router has a pretty strong firewall, and Windows has one too. I was just pointing out alternatives if you were worried about security or Windows "phoning home."

Oh, and Win10 Pro does still send in some telemetry data, I have it one one of my laptops. I think it's just the business one that allows you to turn that all off (supposedly.) Though, everything from smartphones to smart TVs these days sends back data, all a part of targeted advertising. Websites install tracking cookies and all they legally have to do is let you know that they use cookies. Companies all put this stuff on there and consumers allow it, by just clicking "agree" to that pesky terms of use agreement that reading it would take away from time using their new toy.

But, yeah, protect yourself as best you can, but you're not going to get rid of it all without reverting to the stone age.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    There's no keyloggers in Windows 10. :) You really think businesses all over the world (think: Fortune 500s, banks, companies that spend billions on R&D etc) would use it if that were the case? You can turn off pretty much everything that caused concern in Windows 10 out of the box now, during the setup sequence. For example - https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/03/06/windows-insiders-get-first-look-new-privacy-screen-settings-layout-coming-windows-10/#UZxgKc42vMRjVuwl.97

I share your suspicions and strong dislike of an OS that tracks you. I'd strongly suggest that your phone is doing orders of magnitude more to track your activity than Windows 10 is, with the privacy options shown in the links above turned on.

As someone who works in a security operations team, I can assure you that the threats you hear about a real and happening all the time. And that you're significantly better protected with a patched version of Windows 10 than you are with, say Windows 7. Spam is everywhere, but it's annoyance for home users more than anything else. Ransomware, cryptominers and botnets are far more likely to ruin your day. Whether you'll get popped yourself is another matter, and dependent on so many factors. But there's been plenty of widespread threats post-Blaster. NotPetya and WannaCry being two high profile, recent ones.

Aside from the stuff in the post Comco liked to (which is all turned off on my machines) there are other security options for the people wary of spies. You can deny apps being able to access your location, microphone, camera, contacts and a whole bunch of other things. Win10 actually has a lot of privacy options built right into it. Like he said, it has way more security options than a smartphone does.
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Heh. I didn't mention the app privacy stuff, because I didn't think anyone actually used Windows 10 apps, or whatever they're called. (Essentially, the stuff you download from the Microsoft Store).
    True, but I still like to turn that stuff off. You know, because I can. ;) I have a set of software that I use no matter what OS I'm using. Firefox, VLC Media Player, GIMP, Inkscape, etc. Good stuff, there's no need to have anything to do with the default Windows apps, in my opinion.
    edited October 2019 #1268
    Dunno not really liking how things look in 2017 in relation to mental ray. Guess that render optimizer spoiled me and I have forgotten all the files I need to alter to "turn" on all the extras in mental ray. So I again started farting around with photometric lights to light the scene but just not so happy with the results either. It might very well push me to see about getting arnold on this version or move everything bit by bit to 2019 and convert them little by little. Also means a massive learning curve, or de-learning curve for Arnold materials and that set up. Again it lacks a layered mapping system, so one has to stack shaders or something else I have yet to find.

it is part of why I sorta just went away from 3d for a while.

tsukuru-nx-0733.jpg
    tsukuru-nx-0735.jpg
    attempt using photometrics. I tried the sun systems but it just looked terrible and worked poorly as a "sun in space as it was tied to date and location on earth along with all the atmo related things and tone. issue with the photometrics is scale distance = massive fall off. I doubt this will be any different in arnold though. It is why I had held on the the MR lights as long as I have.
    tsukuru-nx-0736.jpg

FreakLizzy777Brandenberg
  • ViperViper1677 Posts: 716Administrator
    Sun system in Arnold is completely different an not tied at all to date and time. You just place the light around as a regular spot light. You can then turn off the atmosphere settings so you get the direct light. It is quite bright though, which is to be expected.

To be honest, the best renderer for this kind of thing is vray. You can disable decay on lights which makes things much easier in the scales we work at.
    Unfortunately vray remains as a addon and I do not have access to it short of well AHEMING it. And really I would rather not. Just one more notch to just moving my arse over to Arnold.

I also just want to get things set up so I can play with the multi chamfer tool and feel how much lazier I can be now they added that into it. :p
    Someone mentioned putting 4k renders on the tv and woah. Some of them are overdone as the tv has much more range on both ends than any of the pc monitors. One of the ones that stands out is the classic connie render.
    st-50th-01.jpg
    Luckily many base images were just a hair over 2160p or close enough that a slight upscale didnt harm much.

Sadly cannot share the experience of 4k 65" quantumdot.
    FreakBrandenberg
    Mostly just pushing around subdiv then collapsing the main nacelle object to map out the warp grids.
    Realigning all the stuff on the top and bottoms of the nacelle here as well as bumping them forward a bit.
    tsukuru-nx-0737.jpg
    Render to verify I am happy with things.
    tsukuru-nx-0738.jpg
    Here I have collapsed the main body of the nacelle optimized it and started mapping out what I want to do fore the warp grids. Not so sure now about the earlier design I had done for them.
    tsukuru-nx-0739.jpg
    Hate to say it too I am having second thoughts on the front end of the nacelles. Mulling over ideas to minimize the size as they are much taller than they would normally be due to housing the dual coil rows.
    BrandenbergLizzy777
    edited October 2019 #1273
    Oh man anyone know how to turn off wireframe backface cull and keep poly backface on?? It is really slowing my modeling dow as I cannot see shit from the other side of things as I hollow out stuff. It does provide a gray line shadow but it is so faint its extremely annoying and I just cannot stand having backface on for poly as it eliminates the ability to see pinched up faces or any other wonk.
    What I get,
    tsukuru-nx-0740.png
    what I want,
    tsukuru-nx-0741.png

Dunno why they do this at discreet, fix a mess of things a screw things that were fine up with each version. First it was cutting faces they turned the solid line into a dashed one so your never EXACTLY sure if something is square or in proper alignment, then they alter how hidden edges are shown from a solid colored line to dashes again when your working a large model its just a visual mess so you cannot see what your doing slowing modeling down yet more. And now they have to go and screw up backface cull so you cannot see wtf you are doing at any given moment without having to swivvle crap around and worse to see if things are aligned or to realign parts. AUGH.

Closest solution I have found is this script here.
    https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-forum/cannot-see-back-face-lines-in-wire-frame/m-p/7550941#M150038
    NitrousGraphicsManager.DarkerEdgeOption = #off
    options
    #Off
    #SubLevelOnly
    #Always

but it only affects that "outline" still leaving the wires borked.
    What it gives me.
    tsukuru-nx-0742.png

that url mentions possibly downgrading to dx9 but I think this might negate performance of the new card (not that I got the card for this pc just ended up using it here). Ok the dx9 thing just defaults to that white outline which is fairly useless if well you have complex shapes going on and your wanting to see how they align to other things. SIGH.

Found this but I cannot get it to do anything. The help files do not tell you how to or what to do with these enteries. Guessing BOOL is true/false but I tried that one as well as the cursor one that changes the mouse cursor to another icon when you move over a object. But true false didnt do or change anything.
    NitrousGraphicsManager.BackfaceCullWireframeEnabled : bool : Read|Write

NitrousGraphicsManager.ChangeCursorOnMouseMove : bool : Read|Write
    BTW I am pasting this crap into the max script entry in the lower left of max. I suspect this is needed to be put somewhere else vs the # based lines which DO work in this field. EG the darkeredgeoption.

About to just call it quits with 3d. Spending more time finding fixes to stupid shit than I am doing anything anymore.

where I am getting the code lines
    http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2017/ENU/?guid=__files_GUID_34892DB6_E840_4F52_9175_30332799B7B1_htm
    btw I am in no way a fing programmer. Only code I have ever done is markup, such as 1990s html.
    edited October 2019 #1274
    Another thing I need to find a solution to is cutting snaps FFFUUUCKKING aggro to go and cut and it snaps to a edge the other side of what you want that is some 20pixels away. So often times manually cutting a edge is impossible or a job of frustration as you have to zoom in so close you have to do a simple cut 10 to 30 times to get across the length of something.

Also (yes again) how to unhide things on a fresh ly opened max to never ask me to unhide non visable layers. WHY any git would want to unhide everything in one go all the time is beyond me but it asks every bloody time. I forget what I did to silence this crap in 2013 or it just never asked after the first time.

OK I think I found the last one to stop it asking

Prefrences/general/layer defaults/ change ask to DO NOT PROPAGATE.

Another annoyance the layer menu keeps defaulting to the original appearance location
    Clearly others have this issue but it seems like it is not default or shouldnt but no follow up from poster.
    Another reason to leave 2017 behind. . . . 2019 does not pull this crap.
    https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-forum/3ds-max-2017-layer-explorer-resets-position/td-p/6846815
    edited October 2019 #1275
    Guts and rough innards behind simple grills.

EFX are a bit off as I have lost some access to render set ups with 2017 as well as the shape is very different so the coils are set in further. ALSO, the old glow shader seems to not be as effective or work at all like it used to.
    tsukuru-nx-0743.jpg
    tsukuru-nx-0744.jpg
    And a half nacelle for anyone who cares about that sort of thing. And yes my ambient is all screwed up. Dunno what was changed in 2017 vs 13 but a lot of stuff just does not work the same.
    tsukuru-nx-0745.jpg
    well, inside of a upper half.
    BrandenbergLizzy777
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Have I told you this is an awesome ship? :3
  • LoopholeLoophole48 Posts: 67Member
    Definitely liking how the coils look. Also, are you planning to keep those side covers on the nacelles you teased? I think they look good, slimming out the bussards.
    Standing among giants
    Ribby bits in and a bunch of stuff you uh cannot see as it is all in the dark bits. . . . note lower warp grid only has the coils lit, no central plasma glow or emitter glow. (plasma bar is the cyan, the emitter end is the dark blue, you can kinda see it, sorta.

tsukuru-nx-0747.jpg

Bussard I have not decided how I will work with them as yet. The sample a few posts back was just me dumping hull mat on the subdiv shape.

Lit version to show the innards. Maybe too much junk in there vs just doing a large shape.
    tsukuru-nx-0748.jpg
    P5ych0p4thLizzy777ashleytingerevil_genius_180Brandenberg
    Not much short of planning some panels and planning the "break" lines on the hull. Added a few full ship renders to see how the nacelles look atm. I am not happy how the old warp grid material looks in this newer version of mental ray, vs how it looked in 2013.

tsukuru-nx-0749.jpg
    tsukuru-nx-0750.jpg
    tsukuru-nx-0751.jpg
    tsukuru-nx-0752.jpg
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180Brandenberg
    Quick test between 2013 and 2017. the 2013 one is sans the extra render tools. Scene is untouched between them. Kinda interesting the shadows and what is lit up from outside and internal lighting as well.

iowa-0554.jpg
    iowa-0555.jpg
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180Warp Propulsion LaboratoryBrandenberg
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    The differences are subtle, but I see what you mean. The 2017 version is a shade lighter and there are some minor lighting differences. Are the settings the same between the two?
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    Yup the 2013 has a warmer tone, while the "glow"shaders are producing light vs the 2017 one. I think they either rescaled the unit vol on those or the shader is broken/does not exist. Look at things like the torps rooms and other "lit" things and youll see how much dinner or how much it lacks reflected light. I should do is wipe all the lights and put a plain white omni in and have a go it would probably increace the differences. I have no idea why one is warm toned and the other is not. Maybe it is the Skylight is not working properly.

If I added the importation and irradience options in Render Optimizer it would have a much larger impact on the render results. EXP in time and bounced light. I have yet to locate the secret settings in 2017. not even sure if they exist or are in the same places.

What really bites is R-O really sped up renders. 2017 is one version off from being to direct save files as well as I figured if I could save to "2013" I could still just render in 2013 on another pc or something. But 2017 only goes back to 2014.

All of this jiggery and a few other issues has me wondering if I should give up and just accept 2019 and Arnold and spending months if not years redoing all my existing models in Arnold materials.
    I'm really liking those nacelle details.
  • cool65cool65332 Posts: 29Member
    That is look good nacelles.
    edited October 2019 #1285
    More details and bits on the nacelles.
    tsukuru-nx-0759.jpg
    tsukuru-nx-0760.jpg
    Still need to figure out what is up with the lights and my warp grill. I shrank the "neon tube" that is the cyan glow to half but still seems to flood it with too much light. Might be the blue injector box is the cause so that will go next.
    Lizzy777BrandenbergFreak
    Beginnings of the sub panels and adding in the required go faster stripes. Also a bit of fail on some decaling as the material is not defining as well as it should. Need to re-tune some of the materials. Also managed to regain some of the hotspotting in the warp grills. Part of it is the interior volume and the shapes inside do not play well to the effect I want. Also my want to keep things "real" vs cheating with gradients etc. The warp coil elements are going to need rebuilding to fill that cavity more. effect I am wanting to return to is more like the one seen on my Linerunner mesh. (See image attached at bottom) KIM though that is a scanline render. The MR version of the ship is still WIP and looking at it I do need to return to that model and well REDO loads of it. Anyhow that look gives me more leeway in post as well.
    tsukuru-nx-0765.jpg
    tsukuru-nx-0766.jpg
    tsukuru-nx-0767.jpg

Also addressing the bussards, I am thinking of doing cowling that is similar to the "previs" over the domes vs making the domes smaller, but I have to have a go at messing with it which is next on the plans as I step away from the micro detailing.

linerunner-v4-143.jpg?w=300

linerunner-v4-144.jpg?w=300
    Lizzy777Zhor2395BrandenbergFreakashleytinger
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    The nacelles are looking great!
    Mess of things no one will likely see outside of the WIP images! and some outer details. What isnt apparent is the removal of objects and integrating them into the main nacelle object and collapsing of a mess of subdiv objects to optimize them and add details.

tsukuru-nx-0769.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0771.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0772.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0773.jpg
    Lizzy777ashleytingerBrandenbergFreak
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    It's like they're alive. Nice!
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Nice, I love that you do think how thing work and do details that no one apart from us that follow the thread and you, know that are there.
    More nacelle stuff. Almost ready to move on to other parts of the ship, need to get in some of the larger details and leave the super fine stuff for another pass later on. Likely head over to the front of the ship and the area around the registry I think. Also before I leave the nacelles I need to decide how I am going to do those marker lights. I have them on those platforms to raise the height up for them but I just do not like the bulk of that platform.

tsukuru-nx-0775.jpg
    tsukuru-nx-0776.jpg
    tsukuru-nx-0777.jpg

A few full ship renders for overall feel of things.
    tsukuru-nx-0778.jpg
    tsukuru-nx-0779.jpg

FreakLizzy777