Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9786 Posts: 5,321Member
    edited September 2019 #1232
    Thanks have to give it a try, so far everything I kept running across was all for archviz.
    I just gotta get my head around the materials and how to trick them into working the way I am used to with composite and other things. That and getting myself viewports that are not all white. I can just imagine what a rigged ship would look like.
    A update helped a lot which is cool as in the past max came with what you got and there were no updates to things like MR. Unless you bought it as a standalone. Even then I do not think older versions would accept it. EG v8 v9 etc.

As mentioned I was pretty much given 19 so no reason not to keep playing with it. Makes me want to do interiors though. Loving how the lights are kelvin etc. Much easier than pecking around with colors.

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max
    Also trolling this place for things too. a few neat toys there I wanna try. Completely forgot to keep looking at what people are coming up with.

Is it what you are using on your TMP Akira and the other models recently? I am planning to gear up to do my own connie at some point and I figure as I can export to 2017 through 2019 that I might build her in 2019 and assign materials from Arnold to give it a real go from scratch vs screaming at converting files.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • ViperViper1686 Posts: 717Administrator
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Is it what you are using on your TMP Akira and the other models recently? I am planning to gear up to do my own connie at some point and I figure as I can export to 2017 through 2019 that I might build her in 2019 and assign materials from Arnold to give it a real go from scratch vs screaming at converting files.

Actually no. I know my way around Arnold because all the modern path tracing engines work similarly. I use Vray Next which has all the same features. Corona is similar. My Connie renders are all Vray as well.

It is an adjustment to work with modern renderers. If you haven't already, probably a good idea to brush up on PBR workflows and all that jazz. At first it might look like a lot of work, but then as you start using it you see how arcane things were with Mental Ray. Corona specially is insanely easy. Very close to a "Make render pretty" button.
    Well that update finally finished. heh Must have been super compressed or something.
    Ship arse render 11min with all the same settings sans the render optimizer tool which usually gave me better renders and lower times but max 2013 would have taken 45min on that same render.

tsukuru-nx-0728.jpg
    P5ych0p4thLizzy777ashleytingerFreak
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    ... ship arse render ...

and what a nice arse it is :-D

Thanks, finally getting to some work.
    Issue I am finding outside of the gripes about colors, icons etc is with the way it backface culls. I do not want to see the backface polies as this makes a mess when making sure hidden edges are not crossing wrong etc. BUT in 2017 and 2019 they cull the edges as well. THis makes it a mess again for those hidden edges when they twist or overlap where they should not. It also looks really bad to me.

So the question is. Anyone know how to restore the display as seen in 2013? I know already backface cull options are in 2 or 3 separate places so I am hoping there is some radio box or option somewhere I have not found yet.

Max 2013, how I am used to seeing backface on a object.
    backface-2013.png
    How it appears in 2017, 2019.
    backface-2017.png
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Yeah, backface culling can be a good thing or a bad thing. It's good if you're trying to figure out if you have flipped polygons, but bad if you want to look at your geometry. I hate when they change stuff like that in software.
    Yeah they always change it for the worst too. seriously wtf.

What is really rough is the backface cull is culling the wireframes so it makes it really hard to align edges and stuff in the ortho views.
    Not a huge update but not a huge amount of time spent. Redoing the bracket things in the bussards. Dunno might abandon the idea entirely. Shrug.

tsukuru-nx-0730.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0731.jpg

Something to note it really seems super grainy and has a odd noise or distortion in the edges of things. so I dunno if my mr settings have changed or there is a old setting that is lost or changed. Have to look at it. But definitely that grain in the bussard dome is eugh.

I am looking to do something small and fast to work with that Arnold rendering set up. As it is like MR and uses it's own materials. Actually I think it will only use it's own. So maybe a small ship or something.
    Lizzy777ashleytingerevil_genius_180FreakBrandenberg
    Ok in their great wisdom they eliminated the FG point interpo. Not yet found whatever they replaced it with so far. But yeah all my FG settings were wiped. I see why there is no render optimizer in 17 as they have altered so much the guy making it would have to start from scratch.
    It seems like a lot of render engines these days produce a lot of noise. I don't know why anyone thinks that's a good thing.
    edited September 2019 #1242
    Well I know if you use too heavy of a interpolation it produces MUD. So there are those on both camps of which is more acceptable. I fall in the middle as I cannot stand a inconsistent feature. EG noise in the bussard when there is none elsewhere. I have found ways to avoid the noise in the edges and contrasty areas but have not found a way to get rid of the "grainy" light in the bussards.

The layer menu is another one of these WTF were they thinking
    All the tools they add they remove all the IMPORTANT ones like DELETE a layer. ATM I have no idea how to remove a layer, no idea how to move an object to a selected layer. All the tools they add are useless and duplication like freeze all or unhide all which are in another location that is so much easier to access. Some other tools add thigns but there is no way to REMOVE them.

AUGH al;l of this headache cause 2013 wont display the viewport controls SIGH.
    I remember that something like this was the reason I actually stopped using Max. One Update changed so much for the worse that I thought, I might as well start learning a new software. Since Blender now has Industry standard keymap I didn‘t really have to relearn a lot of the hotkeys.
    edited September 2019 #1244
    Dunno as much as I point people to it blender would have me having the same fits. I really do not get what they have done to the layer manager. I mean I LOVE having the ability to make folders in folders as now I can sort things up and speed up unhiding things but the thought of removinf delete layer move selected object to highlighted layer is just asnine. Instead they added move selected to selected layer. Something that makes it a worse mess down the road as if you forget to reselect your WORKING layer itll create all further objects in the layer you had to select to move a bit of mesh to.
    As for deleting layers I still have yet to figure that one out.

In the past you had a HUGE red X to click, or you could select that layer (highlight) and press DELETE. Now if you create a layer your sorta stuck with it.

help is of no help

Delete a layer:

You can delete an empty layer at any time during a 3ds Max session. You cannot delete the default layer (0 (default)) or a layer that contains objects. If you delete the active layer, it makes the default layer active.
    On the main toolbar, click Toggle Layer Explorer.
    In the Layer Explorer dialog list, select one or more layers, and then right-click and, from the quad menu, choose Delete.

There is no QUAD menu.

So something in what I spent 5 hours setting up has eliminated the quad menu apparently. Even though I hav enot altered anything but the icon arangement theme colors (what idiot thinks dark gray with darker gray is good for entry fields?

I mean sticking key needs in those crappy buggy quad menus.

Add in all the layer menus and other stuff default to wherever max wants vs where you last left them. and for some stupid reason the layer menu goes trans blue when you drag it.

Managed to restore quads everywhere but all my other settings like getting FILE back all has to be redone.

Getting sick of this.

Also noticed anytime something in the background goes into effect max allows it to release whatever it is I was doing. So wallpaper rotates out it drops everything in max. Service runs in the BG max drops the cutting routine.
    I am not on 2019 so can't comment, but i can delete layers just fine in 2018.

Also, the reason for the noise in modern renderers is because they all work by rendering multiple passes in low settings and then combining them to get the final image. So to get a noise free render you need to let the render sit for a good time. I'm not proficient enough to know how to solve it in Arnold though. Vray and Corona are relatively easy to get noise free renders.
    Dunno as much as I point people to it blender would have me having the same fits.

Yeah, Blender's Cycles render engine creates a lot of noise and white spots, (fireflies) especially when using emissive materials as light sources. So, your bussards would likely still be noisy in Blender. I haven't played much with the new Eevee render engine they have in Blender 2.80, but I was getting weird shadow artifacts with it earlier. Knowing their release structure and how things get done, they'll probably be hunting and dealing with issues with it for a while yet.
    edited September 2019 #1247
    Using 2017 atm, 2019 would force total reskins of all my models as arnold is completely incompatible with them. Arnold is something I will play with when I start something new.

Mental ray does not do multi pass, I think it is iRay that does in the pre removal of MR from max. But it does not play nice with a lot of shaders and materials. The missing settings in MR allowed you to control a balance of inaccurate artifacts from interpolation and more accurate but longer render times. This is more of a pixel dot noise. Like looking at 90s gifs that should be jpgs. Usually mr noise has a patchy look. Itll take some time as they have more options and I am guessing it is a means to globalize something. Id rather they left it in render vs allowing it say in material as going through a large file means a lot of materials to adjust one at a time. Again I just gotta waste a few days hunting down solutions to tips to get around the issues.

The layer delete is in a quad menu that somehow got removed from the right click. Likely when I was attempting to import shortcuts and custom menus. Loads of stuff are made more complicated eg connecting verts is now under a different name so I had to remap that one. Even all the caret overrides do not work 100% with the radio box max includes. I should go see if the UI files are screwed up in 2019 too. Probably have to redo all of that as well.

Anyhow the quad menus have always been a buggy mess in max. They do not work smoothly and I have had adverse mouse effects from them EG mouse jumping around, menus not appearing in the same location as the mouse or aligned to the mouse. Randomly choosing an option in the menu etc. They have been like this since forever and for me through 4 or 5 pc builds. If anything they are worse now. So sticking something so often used as delete into a mouse menu is just stupid. Also removing the place object into highlighted layer was so much better than what they have now which you have to activate the layer your wanting to dump the object to adding 2 times the work just to move some template object or whatever from one layer to another.

Its just a load of small annoyances and inconsistent behaviors. EG the layer menu does not behave like any other op up menu. Resize it it freaks out move it it goes trans blue and contents flicker out, it reverts to the same location on reboot or loading of a new project. It does not remember where it was last(unlike 2013) I could understand it if it was a docking menu of some sort.

A lot of these issues I feel stem from this abandon ware mentality of new soft every year. Instead of fixing problems and maturing the codebase they are just caring only about the new toys to add.

I just wish I was not so stuck in max that I could get by brain around blender as I would shift in a heartbeat.

Speaking of blender I have to verify but I have seen updates for max mentioning linux. So I gotta look and see if they have a linux ver that is official and not some hack job using emulators. Might solve my windows issues. lol. Though linux dependencies lol it is like all the annoying dll calls in win8 that no one thinks to consider are not there.

Anyhow got so pissed at having to re do all my stuff in max I just didnt bother doing any modeling afterwords and then while eating the cats decided to freak out and one landed on my dinner. So i rage quit max and ate edamame and rice as my chicken was all over the floor. Then moved my media pc into that fail wallyworld case frame that apparently is too short to allow a standard ATX psu into so a few bent rom tabs and some scraped off paint later I got it in and case up but the unicorn poop MSI leds were too much so I put the cover on and hid all the nice white paint. Again all the LED software is written for win10 so stuck with unicorn shit. Oh and apparently Nvidias experience is apparently able to control the leds but it is buggy as shit and does some freak crap with windows scaling so I get 2 versions overlapped and what I could see it as everything now wanted MEMBERSHIP sign up before I could do crap.
    Anyhow will probably lean on shopping for a case for it sooner than later, just put it off originally as itx cases generally suck. Well cases lately seem to just suck period.

Funny I do not think the gpu fans have ever turned on. Thing sits at 38c when in use. Likely try to install a few games later to see if I can get them to turn on. :p
    ... and then while eating the cats ...

again ... not a native speaker ... but I feel that part is missing a comma =)
    As to the topic at hand: if those were rendered in blender (cycles) I'd say, your samplecount is way to low. Or you need to adjust the denoiser (the one in 2.81 is pure magic) ... however it's been ages since I rendered anything in 3dsMax, so I have no Idea ...
    For the heck of it how I got 2017 set up atm. Remmoved all the dark bits on similar dark text. Default it is like those icons on the tabs. Dunno why buit it made it hard for me to see what was what. It had similar contrast to the deactivated options "ring" "loop" Only thing bugging me now is all the fat gutters everywhere. Sadly so far I have not found a way to deal with that so menus take up a lot more space than before. Stuff like the space above "selection" to either side of the menus and between every object. I do want to change out icons but I think they removed that at some point and turned it into a more entire UI change thing. Oh yeah the undo redo arrows cannot make up their minds on how they want to look skinny or fat. I would think it is some sort of HISTORY thing but it is fairly random so far.

max2017-ui.png

I do still need to find out of there is a fix for the backfaceculling of the wireframes and retain backface on faces. It makes for a nightmare in wireframe mode. Dunno what got changed there, but it wasnt so much an issue in 2013.

Oh I did manage to fix that AA puke it was a bug that got patched as they have again too many places to control this feature and well, they were stepping on each other so when it was off in viewport it was applying elsewhere. Thank goodness as that progressive AA was distracting exp on transparent objects.
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777
    edited September 2019 #1251
    Speaking of blender I have to verify but I have seen updates for max mentioning linux. So I gotta look and see if they have a linux ver that is official and not some hack job using emulators. Might solve my windows issues. lol. Though linux dependencies lol it is like all the annoying dll calls in win8 that no one thinks to consider are not there.

Looking at the system requirements on the Autodesk website, I don't see anything about Linux at all. There's no mention of it on the Wine HQ website, which shows if/how Windows programs run on Linux. (it's a crap shoot either way) The Autodesk software that I see that runs in Linux is Maya. It supports Red Hat Enterprise Linux and CentOS, which is based on Red Hat. CentOS is free, RHEL isn't. But, that's Maya. Everything else in their catalog just shows Windows. Unless, of course, they're getting ready to roll out Linux support for Max. **shrugs** Anything is possible.

Also, dependencies usually aren't a problem, as long as you have internet. If you don't, it's crap. But, there are also newer container packages that some software devs are using called Flatpaks and Snaps, those are supposed to come with everything, dependencies and all. They're pretty similar in concept to a Windows .exe file.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    I'm in the same boat. I've used max for at least 18 years, if not more. Any move would mean stopping all my projects for a few months so I can learn the new software properly.

Ideally, I would like to move to Houdini, but their modelling tools aren't up to snuff yet. A combo of Blender and Houdini might work though.
    Lizzy777
    Moving software is no joke. Every 3D package has its own way of doing things. Just learning the names of tools to do what you could do in your sleep in other software is a pain, not to mention UI changes and keyboard shortcut changes. I've fought tooth and nail with learning Blender over the past decade, but it hasn't been an easy road. I keep finding little things that push me back towards software I've used in the past. There are still things that I can do quite easily in Lightwave that seem like way more of a chore in Blender. Plus, it doesn't help that every X amount of years they completely overhaul everything in that program and it's like you did just switch software, but you didn't. You just switched versions.
    Lizzy777
    Yeah I cannot find the linux thing I saw it was when I was checking for updates patches etc for the software. Likely it was some component like Arnold that had mention of CentOS. Been too way too many sites this last week and then getting a headcold ontop of it all. UGH. Got tonnes to do around the house too.

Largest thing I had ossue with blend and LW was the linux like file systems. Just absolutely loath em. Dunno why but ewww.

Issue I had was dependancies with dependancies in a never ending chain of hell and locating them on random crappy ftps. It took me 8 hours to attempt install of a irc application. But that was some time ago.

Yeah, if a dependency you need isn't in your Linux distribution's repositories, that can be a huge issue too. I've had that before, then it's either trying to find a packaged file to install or source code to build the required program. It can be really hair pulling sometimes. But, I mostly stick to the software in my distribution's repositories. Though, sometimes even then you can have issues, but not often.

Things are usually not that bad in Windows. Usually, if a program has a dependency, like a specific version of Visual C++, or DirectX, or something, it comes packaged with the .exe. That's the kind of thing I was talking about happening with those Flatpaks and Snaps I was talking about. They're supposed to be everything you need in one file. I haven't actually messed with them, though.
    yeah that one dll I was needing was a c++ one issue is all the installers would fail claim they are ok etc. I had to install visual studiop bullcrap to even get a soso working solution so now I have all this coder bullcrap in the media pc UI.

That is another thing about AMD that is shit. They puke the catalyst crap in all right click menus. And they do it in a way it is all or nothing. So instead of a right click on the desktop to get it where it SHOULD be you have to either have nothing or it in EVERY right click menu.About as bad as nvidias permanent run once reg entry that reinstalled the nvidia installer every time you reboot. Leaving rundll running permanently on the system. And of course slowing boot with a installer. I think it was an attempt to keep people from ripping all the crapware services out of the run entry or in services.

That irc thing was like the only irc app for linux back then and I was up to some 30 files I had to locate and dl to find it needed yet another or another 5 or 6 files. I quit and formatted the drive after a day of that crap.

Anyhow all those annoyances. lol I expect win10 is far worse. But thinking at some point I will HAVE to accept it. EUGH. Too many apps outside of my 3d stuff req fukdows. Sigh.
    I have Windows 10 on two computers, it works OK for my needs. At least I don't have BSOD issues like I did in Win7. Though, of course with 10 one of the first post install steps is to disable every bit of telemetry spy crap that you can.
    Well from what I have read most of it still goes. Thing I want to axe is the whole update enforcement shit. I also hate an os that nags me constantly with bullshit. Notifications about some social bs or another or what they think I care about. I do not need that shit in a OS. Oh and aI really hate all the default apps since win8, the fugly ass fullscreen crap. It is a desktop os not a fing tablet or phone.

Image of a render I set to gfo a hour ago, still going . . . . . so clearly some setting need adjustment and it shows the lack of interpo means lower quality images or fucking horrible 3hour long renders.

tsukuru-nx-0732.jpg
    also note as typical of max all the lum effects are on some other ratio so things just look completely different and need readjustment.
    edited September 2019 #1259
    The part of the render that finished looks great to me.

I have all of the unnecessary notifications in Win10 turned off. It never bothers me, except for things like security updates. Really, the only other thing that pops up notifications is my antivirus, but that's a given. As for telemetry, you can't totally turn it off in Windows 10 Home, I think you can in Pro. I have it sending minimal info on my Home machines, though. **shrugs** It's honestly not any worse than a fully update 7 or 8, I'm sure. Also, 7 is getting ready to reach end of life. It's only got about 3.5 months left. After than, no more security updates, though people will still run it. There are still people who run XP. :#
    edited September 2019 #1260
    win 7 has not had any real security changes in years. If anything it is all spyware and other dodgy updates being passed off as security or important.

I just do not like the botnet behaviour of win10 as it is always acting like you have 5 or 6 open torrents. As it is serving updats in a similar fashion to other users as MS wants you to pay for the update service then themselves.

Again much of what I know is just from people bringing over win10 or work pcs. I have not done that much research into all the possible fixes that may or maynot be out there. but from what I have seen there are not many who are doing anything to defeat the issues ms is constantly putting out.

Really unless I can turn off the keyloggers the entirety of the update system and any and all notifications off. I wont touch it. Win7 and 8 have ways to avoid or deactivate all the telemetry. Really as I use UWA I have not had to deal with anyof it really as it auto blocks all the annoying DRM crap as well as all known spy updates.

I am considering a OEM copy or something similar to a business distro. Wont ever touch plain consumer builds of anything MS. Ever since ME the plain flavor os is just too crippled to even make effort to support.

I had hoped some of the AHEM people out there would build a install that has all that stuff tuned or removed. There were some cool win7 build distros that had all the good updates applied and special tools preinstalled into them but that seems to have fallen out of trend/favor. People today just seem to not care about it all. Resigned to just not care about privacy or rights to something they own.
    Shrug.

I also worry about some of my apps again as some really do not like win8 and I am sure some of them just wont work in 10 at all. But it is where I thought the media pc would be a good trial system as there isnt much on it that is important short of my bookmarks.

I held out on XP for a while as I did not want to let go of the customization of the os. but the whole netbois bs had me change over all the pcs within a week. That and win7 survived a mobo and cpu transplant and booted! and add in the install was not a all day affair that XP was as well as all the hacking and gutting of the registry etc.

Render might look ok but the time is utter bullshit. That image should only take 20min at most not 89min.
    edited September 2019 #1261
    Ugh, 89 minutes and you still had a while to go. I can see why you're unhappy.

Of course, there's always the other option. Physically disconnect a Windows 7 computer from the Internet and use it mainly as a 3D machine, then do a Linux install for web surfing. With all networking physically removed, the Win7 machine will have no attack vectors other than physical access, and no way to phone home. Then you can transfer image files and whatnot the old fashioned way to the Linux machine to upload to the web. A few more steps, but that's one way to go.

At the end of the day, you have to do what works for you.