Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9696 Posts: 5,299Member
    Maybe not much visibly different just a mess of fine alterations and darkening of panel zones. Also added 2 renders with the old gloss maps and aniso stuff set to a different ID after messing around due to comments here. So it gives a preview of what the final surface would look like.

miranda-tos-283.jpg

miranda-tos-284.jpg

Surfacing samples.

miranda-tos-286.jpg

miranda-tos-288.jpg

more grime updates >_>
    miranda-tos-291.jpg
    JES
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Over done leaky oil look. Need to smudge it down some.
    miranda-tos-295.jpg
    JES
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Incredible texture work, I love the little impact near the ship's name on the saucer top.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Probably be a few more of those debris strikes here and there. . . .

Lower saucer and misc bits UVWed now. Just the nacelles left to do, maybe some minor adjustments here and there. There are some bits that are distorted a bit more than I like.

miranda-tos-301.jpg

miranda-tos-302.jpg

miranda-tos-303.jpg
    JES
    Oh man I am SOOO sick of unwrapping polygons and messing around in this crappy UVW editor. . . Would be cool if there was an alternative to this heh.

miranda-tos-304.jpg

miranda-tos-305.jpg

Still have the intercoolers radiators and some of the more fiddly bits to unwrap. Yes, there is stretching in places but I just cannot be bothered to fuss with those areas to get them perfect.
    JES
  • FabioFabio171 Posts: 20Member
    Nice work! Keep it up - I know how annoying UV's can be but stick with it! ;)

Always been a fan of your texturing style and this one's coming along great :)
    Thanks man it helps me push through lol SOO tedious lol. I think it is probably worse than windows, and that is something (least for me) to be worse than windows. >_> I do love seeing things on the model that says this isn't procedural and not post grime. Probably behind the times manually painting my maps in clip studio (painter like version of PS) Seeing some of the work others do in add on apps really makes me drool but $$$$$.

Welp everything I think is done. I did find a few things missing like the torp tubes but I think I can let those slide? I also over the last week found I forgot to model somethings like a few closures of grids and details I wanted to add like those 3 grouped lights in the saucer bottom. Though they would I think be blocked by the nacelles in a line of sight manner. I imagine they are like the 3 forward ones and they had something to do with deflection or sensors. And then finally I think, I forgot to add the red lines on the saucer bottom too. (these will likely be textured on.)
    So with that starts a long haul of painting maps and doing gloss aniso and rotation maps. I would lover to be lazy and lave those latter sets as ID#1 materials the tiling does not break on the grids well enough for my tastes. So loads of fun later on exp that lower saucer as that is planar mapped.

miranda-tos-307.jpg

Oh and yeah I do need to figure out what happened to my bussards as the efx glass has gone whack. Likely got instanced somewhere and then altered. . . been having issues with material editor not reacting the same. IE eye dropper it seems to randomly decide to instance or copy a material. In the past it would instance it if droppered off the object but now seems to more often copy it which is troublesome and damned annoying.

miranda-tos-308.png
    ohhhh the seams the nasty seams, tried to hide them the best I could. Should have planned some breaking panels to avoid them.

One more thing for anyone seeing the nacelles seemingly chopping off the test material or other visual wonk it is because the nacelle is broken up tiles and I have spaced them out to eliminate any over paint from one to another and allow me room to slap those gloss and aniso maps in.
    Some quick paintwork on the 2 lower maps. Renders are full GI with a dim key so super lit. I however might forgo to heavy green and drab that layer down on all maps. Got a lot of evening out to do on the saucer bits.

miranda-tos-317.jpg

miranda-tos-318.jpg
    Some more updates on the maps. Yes there are a few diffuse textured details that likely will get bump mapped later on. Normally I would have modeled them but slip of the mind when I was in that phase. Same thing can be said of some details like the trio of sensor lights on the lower saucer.

miranda-tos-329.jpg

miranda-tos-330.jpg

miranda-tos-331.jpg
    Cleaning up more of the sloppy grime on things and adding in some extras and testing bump maps. Oh yeah mess of hull markings that I did yesterday. KIM the grid polies are not present in some renders so you might see broken panel lines these are objects behind things. Oh and also testing to see how "clean" panels appear as I could see a failed panel being replaced or damaged one and having a different wear pattern or none at all. Including patches etc. Not going to go to crazy with this but just ideas. ATM I am mostly cleaning up the heavy hand of texturing as I think I went a bit too heavy.

miranda-tos-333.jpg

miranda-tos-334.jpg

miranda-tos-335.jpg

miranda-tos-336.jpg

miranda-tos-337.jpg
    Mess of hatches and those red lines, need to double those up I think. Top saucer bits have a aniso and rotation map set. I will likely bypass these on other surfaces except places like the saucer bits where I want the patterns to not cross panels. Elsewhere it is just a waste. Gloss maps I think will be a combined mapset with the current generic and just a overlay of grime to dull down reflection.

miranda-tos-340.jpg

miranda-tos-345.jpg

Oh ignore some of the heavy bumps as some of those hatches were too thick
    Well it is aniso and aniso rotation. Prior is how reflections pinch and rotation is how they align to anything. I forget exactly which side of each value is. IE white and black I think are 0 while gray is 90deg from 0.

Where I left the upper saucer and rim surfacing. It does not include the bridge and some of the aft structure. I still have some work to do on a few places as the aniso maps are white in a few places as I have not covered them over.
    Latter images are diffuse nacelle work. They only have diffuse work atm.

miranda-tos-351.jpg

miranda-tos-352.jpg

miranda-tos-353.jpg
    JES
  • SeanPSeanP218 Posts: 256Member
    it's looking great MKF! Looks like all your frustration with unwrap was worth it. :)
    dunno if it is a huge difference for everyone but loads of fine tuning, added in the gloss grime map over the new tiled gloss maps. Decided to just go with it and put those to the uvw id 2 so it patterns like the diffuse maps. I ten replaced all the old tiled gloss maps. These will later get composite layers with the grime as a matting layer to the gloss. Again one of those things you can rarely see but helps I think in the overall. I am also debating on adding in a reflective color map so some of the grime has a different reflective tone. That or just a overall gloss reflective color vs the basic white.

miranda-tos-360.jpg

miranda-tos-361.jpg

miranda-tos-362.jpg

miranda-tos-363.jpg

nearing being done mostly just need to match things up and maybe doing a few heavier passes. So I am tempted to move forward with some of the other things related to this project.
    JES
    First go at a tholian ship. NOW the issue is the TOS spinners are listed as 15m, so I will need something far larger to do the job. I am thinking something around 50m or so. There isnt much to go on besides the original TOS ships the TOS r ones and the ENT ships. Given they never showed up elsewhere in trek well heh. I would like to retain the pearl effect and maybe give the ship a more crystal effect than the heavy plated metal seen on the other examples. I know the games have expanded a lot on the ships and tech but I am only consider book and film canon for this work.

tholian.jpg
    I have 2 "wing" examples here and I am leaning most towards something like style A. The ships overall form will retain the fattening winglets like the original TOS models had but mixing the faceted central hull of the TOS R ships.
    JES
    Started setting up the Daedalus class for the Lovell makeover. First is to get a tos like hull finish as I am sure they would have quickly ditched the old polarized hull stuff and older hull finish. Be it a resin or just entire panels. Plans are to rip out the arboretum, the weapons system (old phase cannons for phaser nipples) and pulling the nuclear payload module. Figuring out how to manage a separation system to work with written description. Additional updates would be the nacelles be they just alterations to the endcaps and moving to a more TOS like bussard set up to say altering all the sensor palettes to something less greebly. Hard part I think is to work these things into a finished mesh as Many sub objects and detachments for WIP are all welded back in or collapsed.

lovell-002.jpg

lovell-003.jpg
    JES
    Ohh, so you're making a larger Vanguard project? it's my favorite Trek novel saga, so I'm looking forward to all these! :)

Regarding the Tholians, nice concept! I must admit I prefer style B for the wings though, looks a bit more basic geometry wise, and I think that lines up better with what we've seen of the Tholians.
    Messing with the bussards and replacing all the phase cannons with phaser banks. I am wondering if there are not any unique mentions of weapons systems or physical additions on the ship in relation to stories of it on it's own outside of vanguard. I might halt this work up to a point until I read those books. (assuming it appears int he SF engineers books) I also hate to say it but this ship will probably need UVW unwrap as well. Or at least portions of it.
    lovell-005.jpg

Render to give a idea of scale. Kinda forget how small these were/are.

lovell-006.jpg

probably start on the tholian in a few days. I still need to fix a size and finalize some design ideas before then, but a lot might just get done on the fly as I model.
    JES
    Ok started work by quickly making a TOS Tholian ship, played with some materials that are not working. (MR car paint is a bit to large to just fool with atm) But the purpose is to compare them to the Bombay. 15 30 and 50m. 15 being the ones from TOS. Now in order to do what was done in the books I think something far lar5ger than 15m is required. Be it 30 or 50m. 50m I think is the more workable size right now.

tholian-cruiser-001.jpg
    JES
    Dunno why but I am wasting time tweaking the TOS ship. . . . . lol. Even though the nose is all wrong and I think the central pencil is too fat.

tholian-cruiser-002.jpg
    JES
    AAAAND here is the other reason I think 15m is too small even for the TOS ships. Those things would HAVE to have another ship or be larger than 15m. Even at 50m it is pushing things to get a A/M reactor fusion core propulsion systems and then house 12 tholians or so. Even more so given their need for in an environment. Funny how you can measure up a ship and compare etc but until you add a person or representation of it that you get a real idea of size. I think this is a case for the 15m measurement.

tholian-cruiser-004.jpg

tholian-cruiser-006.jpg
    JES
    Some updated renders of the rough in on the ship. Engine glows and housings of course are just simplified objects. Working on this thing in this tri arrangement is annoying at best.

tholian-cruiser-009.jpg

tholian-cruiser-010.jpg
    JES
    New plasma torp thing and misc adjustments.

tholian-cruiser-014.jpg

tholian-cruiser-015.jpg

tholian-cruiser-016.jpg
    JES
    Messing with an idea for the disruptors. Placing them in a little dome so they work more like a turret than the original fixed emitter idea. It also eliminates ugly holes in the hull.

tholian-cruiser-020.jpg

tholian-cruiser-021.jpg

tholian-cruiser-022.jpg

tholian-cruiser-023.jpg
    JES
    Compared to the Bombay in size. Ignore the failed surfacing. I was looking to try to do a cut opal effect but it just was not working. Mostly it is too over powered to subtle or just took way too long to render.

tholian-cruiser-024.jpg

tholian-cruiser-025.jpg
    JES
    I love the light effects on those impulse engines.
    Thanks, though they might be changing. >_>

some small detail changes. Added some glowy crap to the butt, be it a rear weapon or a spinner emitter for the shield web. Not sure if I will retain those rings on it though. Some of the "steps" might get removed or restored out as they are not looking that good in render as they do in viewport. SIGH restoring things at these odd PITA angles is a pain exp as it is impossible to verify planar faces. Loads of undoing a mess of other things to repair a bad decision!

tholian-cruiser-028.jpg

tholian-cruiser-029.jpg
    JES
    Added some things to the glow elements that were a mistake I think. Might look at other things to do with these if not going for my original idea of doing them like the TOS mirandas drives even though canon the drives were yellow glowing boxes. Rest is a mess of small changes all over and some attempts to narrow up the front end without actually changing the size of the weapon itself.

tholian-cruiser-032.jpg

tholian-cruiser-033.jpg
    JES
    Panels, though I wanted to avoid it originally. Messed with the impulse drives as well and made the grills more "faceted"

tholian-cruiser-041.jpg

tholian-cruiser-040.jpg

tholian-cruiser-042.jpg
    JES
    Interiors mostly. Spend most of the time planning them out and clearing space in there. Not sure if it is obvious she is not built in a linear gravity layout. Areas where the crew rooms with the windows are are all stacked so that the engines or butt is the floor. Some have a central shaft through them with 3 lifts surrounding the crew rooms and leading out to mechanical spaces in the lobes. The lobes are where warp coils are along with cargo and weapons systems and access hatches. I have not really decided how or where the CIC would be. Not that it matters much unless I tear one of these open in a image and show it.

tholian-cruiser-045.jpg

tholian-cruiser-046.jpg

tholian-cruiser-047.jpg
    JES