Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• kvorshkkvorshk171 Posts: 76Member
    i wish you were designing the new trek mad this is amazing as usual.
  • christianSchristianS0 Posts: 0Member
    kvorshk wrote: »
    i wish you were designing the new trek mad this is amazing as usual.
    Still time to get on board, as CBS just delayed it again :-/
    Nice work!
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    christianS wrote: »
    Still time to get on board, as CBS just delayed it again :-/
    Nice work!

the bottom of the saucer looks more Pre-TOS than the top. It's giving me Sovereign like problems between the top and bottom.
  • JESJES392 Posts: 195Member
    I wasn't able to comment on this, ever since you moved away from TrekBBS. But I did want to say that I wouldn't have chosen Hyperion as a name, since one of Bernd Schneider's designs already have that name, and they'd share the same era. Let's just say if I ever wanted to write a fan fiction from that era, I'd want to use both designs, or at least acknowledge their existence. Hard to do if two designs contradict each other.

But I don't know how difficult it is to change a script on a model. But I suspect it would take a lot of effort (if not be impossible entirely to change), so it is what it is.

I suppose I might get some dirty looks/scathing rebukes if I only my post here only had to do with her name, so on another note, when I look at her, I'm almost under the impression that her secondary hull is modified from something like the Constitution (but earlier, due to the registry), and that the wedge might be some type of experiment in warp dynamics?

Then again, you probably didn't think about that. Just that it looks cool. Then again, you probably already stated any backstory you made up way back before I even knew she existed!
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    I love the saucer bottom.

You have a layered effect of an upside-down plateau one atop the other.

Just as a quick low-res "sketch"--how far could you take that--for something really large?
  • GeminiFanGeminiFan0 Posts: 0Member
    I have no experience at this kind of thing, so am utterly unqualified to comment on your work, so, here goes...with the idea of form following function, I wonder if the "hump", or more specifically the void created beneath it might be a connection point/area for, say, mission specific packages, sensor pods,cargo elements, something that would mate to this portion of the ship necessitating the wide out nacelles as the hump. Not trying to mess with or rework the design at all, so please feel free to disregard my comments completely. I do very much like this ship so far and look forward to it's final solution. And as always, your work is exemplary. Ooh, maybe a specialized communication array, or experimental weapons package?
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9777 Posts: 5,320Member
    Not sure what you mean by hump. The triangular hull is just a means to integrate the large impulse drives and machine equipment into a new geometry as well as gain internal VOLUME for such machinery. That and well to mimic the study model this is based on.

AHH I think you might be commenting on the bridge area. That is all officers decks and rooms as well as space for the telescope/astrometrics machinery. (some spec sheets denote a telescope below the markings on the connie)

Plateau saucer stuff: well I don't really follow this either as the stepping and valleys can scale to anything I guess. Hell you could probably take the basic shape and scale it up to a mile wide if you wish. I mostly built it to lend a similarity to the CBS discovery shapes and to fit to interior volumes.

Ship names registries etc I normally do a google search and look at the results if it is not a canon ship name or registry or even a beta canon IE books print etc I will avoid it but I do not have the time to rifle through and avoid every known name or registry number in use by everyone out there.

CBS uh no the design team was hired a LONG time ago. The recent hires in the summer were for work crew. IE guys to animate or model efx that has already been designed. Truth be I can bet CBS had the design work for everything nailed when they released that animation test.
    Eaves is lead in the sfx if memory serves.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • GeminiFanGeminiFan0 Posts: 0Member
    I'm apparently no good at these replies either, was trying to attach my reply to a comment you had made regarding some design issue with the 1st ship in this thread, it's basic profile being a hump shape
  • kvorshkkvorshk171 Posts: 76Member
    I think Eaves is in charge. But I still rather enjoy your take on the design better. Can't wait to see her finished.

Saquist: I think if you look up designs the command section does look proto TOS. The main reason being is its not totally smooth like the connie was.
    More small markings and little details.

wedge-trek-241.jpg

wedge-trek-242.jpg

wedge-trek-243.jpg
    JES
    Added some inspection/lounge windows in the rear and a mess of small decals and breaking up of some of the panel patterning. Alsop re uvwed some of the panels so they are individual vs one large uvw IE the texture pattern is varied flipped rotated etc. Likely wont show unless it is animated or at the right angle given the materials on the hull Doing some renders to show the extreme angles that best cause the materials to pop the surfacing. Direct light it is just off white. Anyhow same MO as the rest of the saucer etc. I only have some subpaneling I think I need to get the name down and cut the registry on the saucer before I can finish it with sub paneling. I do not think there is much more to do to the saucer as I do not want to clutter it up too much. I think once that is done it is just some detail on the nacelles and maybe some more clean up on the lumpy bits around the shuttle bay (simplification of it maybe) I do not think I will be adding full uvw unwrap to this model unlike the TOS connie.

wedge-trek-244.jpg

wedge-trek-245.jpg

wedge-trek-246.jpg

wedge-trek-247.jpg

wedge-trek-248.jpg

Then I think it is time to get to maybe finishing some old models. Maybe the onimaru though that might tempt me to do too much rebuilding as I have not touched it since the SOTL image. Mostly it is just windows along the bottom and other "stuff" on the belly. I do have the lethe variants the reboot balmung the re-reboot and a mess of OC works. I do plan to continue the Datasheet images too.
    JES
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Sweeeet man I wish YOU were making the new Enterprise design for the new show and the new movies, not the garbage they have now! Keep up the good work
    One of the best ships I've seen.
    Taking a break from the stats sheets.

wedge-trek-249.jpg

wedge-trek-250.jpg

Now at least I can get to some of the sub panels on the hull. The lighting pattern I am not sure about yet. Hoped to cheap out with simple gizmos but I might have to spend more time to make it look nicer.

also regretting making white emitter bulbs in the right of way lights as the red dims the light too much. Realistic as red glass does darken the same lumens but uh not what I want visually. SO I might have to fix that. . . . . .
    JES
    japetus wrote: »
    Sweeeet man I wish YOU were making the new Enterprise design for the new show and the new movies, not the garbage they have now! Keep up the good work

From the looks of things I will be done with this thing before they even start any of the vfx lol. I had always doubted any of the dates they have given for that show. Sadly I wont pay yet another monthly to see it.
    Panels decals and some extruded bits. Some of it probably does not show at this angle. The blue stuff I am thinking I should look at adding some sort of surfacing to it to get it less like matte paint as it does not shadow down like the hull materials. I also made that indented area main hull color vs that dark gray. Debate was to do this or go with the blue material in that ring or stick with the dark gray.

wedge-trek-255.jpg

Oh and I also got around to adjusting those sensor things so the lum doesn't blow through the hull. I would have needed ridiculous settings to keep it from doing what it was prior renders. So altering the geo under there was a better solution.
    JES
    Even more detail bits.

wedge-trek-259.jpg

wedge-trek-260.jpg
    JES
  • rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    Something about the proportions of the saucer is very pleasing to the eye.
    I honestly didn't think you'd change her name, but you did, even though you didn't have to! I don't imagine how I can thank you, but I can definitely see her flying with Masao's Museum designs (including the Hyperion class). Andraste hmm? Beautiful name. Roman war goddess. Good choice, and it surprised me that she wasn't used yet, from what I can find.

On another subject, do you imagine her receiving a refit like most similar vessels (Saladin, Alert, Larson, Loknar, etc.), or do you imagine she will be retired looking like this? I'd probably find myself way in over my head, and unable to top this, but if you weren't going to refit her, I might want to make at least some preliminary concepts.

Do you figure the Andraste as a one-off, or a series production?
    Really I only postulate the need or role a ship fills, if that. Often like this ship it is just inspiration or desire. I rarely sit down and work out the minutiae of a ship's history and future.

Refits I would suspect it would be like modern ships where none are at the same stage of refit or "clones" of each other. I doubt a full refitting like what was seen on the constitution class is a common occurrence. It is too often used by fans like "saucer separation" As mentioned I would expect ships to be refitted much like naval vessels on a as needed basis. Such as when parts wear out or need replacing. Maybe there would be some retrofit where a entirely global based upgrade that is required to maintain competitiveness or a change in role for a particular series of ships.

Given the timeframe of this ship I would expect her to have been pushed through into service to meet the Klingon War. I would think after the war they were likely retired or reconfigured to a more peaceful mission. Such as removal of the power hungry large sublight engines, lower demand weapons systems, etc. She could exist as a offshoot design, one that was not favored as much as the later Constitution Class. You see this a lot in reality where neither design is a failure but one is chosen through popularity or politics.

I would expect any ship in trek to be part of a series. Canon shows a lot is invested in to the development of any one given design. I would expect design failures or flawed ships to not get past computer models.

So in conclusion, I'DUNNO hah. Really, I think it would receive some updates and changes that would affect the exterior but I doubt you would see them all updated to TMP hull configuration. I think it would be cheaper for the Federation to just make new ships vs kludge new technology into a old space frame not engineered for it.
    JES
    More decals all over and some registry markings. YEAH, they cross over onto those cargo hatches. BOOO I just brain farted or something when I put those there. So they just painted over it all! hah. And yeah, I made the latches those pill things when I had intended at one point for it to be just rectangles with maybe some detail inside. . . . . (forgot)

wedge-trek-261.jpg

wedge-trek-262.jpg

OOPS, forgot to do the lower lighting. That brings up something I am not sure on if I should suggest surface detail that is emitting the light on the markings or other lighting on the ship as I do plan to do TMP like ship lights.
    JES
    Well, got the shuttle guide lights in and the rear ships name thing in and then distracted with lighting the thing. Dunno maybe too much.

I do need to readjust some of the things like the sensor domes etc as they are too bright. Maybe just diffuse it more or add some vanes or something.

wedge-trek-268.jpg

wedge-trek-269.jpg

wedge-trek-270.jpg

wedge-trek-271.jpg
    JES
    Seems like you're better at postulating your ship's background than you think. You're way of thinking is probably more realistic than complete refits, actually.

I probably should keep that in mind with my own designs.
    Lovely work as always.
    A processed image. Really need to get around to mapping the interiors.

wedge-trek-287a.jpg
    JES
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    She looks great out and about.
    Some dish stuff and mostly small th8ings like interiors to all the rooms and messing with color temp of the interior light. Clearly i used the wrong material on some of the external lighting too. Hard when all these lights show as a white glowing ball with only the name showing. SIGH I hope that later versions do not just white out when using the photon emitting settings. . . . . . I usually use the glow shader but it really is superseded by the arch design light settings. Anyhow room lights I am going for that warm incandescent look.

wedge-trek-292.jpg
    This could probably use more work.
    wedge-trek-294.jpg
    heh docking port has the wrong light material.

wedge-trek-295.jpg
    Still bits of things needing alteration. Maybe interior lights are leaning too far to the orange.
    JES
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann628 Posts: 1,283Member
    Oh Madman, I love that! Gorgeous work.
    That has got to be a model.

Round 2?
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    kvorshk wrote: »
    Saquist: I think if you look up designs the command section does look proto TOS. The main reason being is its not totally smooth like the connie was.

That's an interesting way to look at it.
    When I think about this style problem of the original TOS, I prefer not to try an justify something from a newer series appearing more advanced. Rather, I just presume (Like with TMP) that TOS really just needs an updated look to bring it in line with the feasibly realized 23rd century.

MadKoi design does just that.
    I can see this a the new TOS. They should have hired him for this job.
    John Eaves (even 14 years later) is only good for alien designs not Federation Starships.
    He needed 2 passes at the Enterprise E and he admits he still didn't get it right.