Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Has someone asked about the name "Jigoku?" Background? Meaning?

Loving it.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9786 Posts: 5,321Member
    Jigoku means hell. I forget why I chose it as the old model is from ages ago and as mentioned I have been considering using something else.

No updates, I am at that stage where I just spin the ship about in the viewport at a loss what to do next.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Lots of spinning about and just a few hull panels redone and will probably move them around yet some more.
    jigoku-class-369.jpg

Also found a fuk up. . . dunno how I missed it but the angle of the back area of the lower hull changes angle to a much shallower one and creates this ugliness. While it is not as evident in render it shows up clearly in the generic lighting mode.
    jigoku-class-368.png
    not sure yet what I will do about this. Leave it or fix it. Repairing it could involve loosing ost of the hull detail work on this part. It would all depend how easy it is to patch in a repair or how much things will get altered. Found a few more issues around the lower hull around the deflector which will have to stay, again they are only evident in certain lighting conditions. I must have really not been paying attention or goofed with smoothing groups to let these through.

Lizzy777lewisniven
  • kadenkaden799 JapanPosts: 219Member
    You could add some panels over top to disguise the areas that are strange.

Have you thought about continuing the black panels down the pylons? Not covering them fully, but coming off near the current panels to end up tapered at the nacelle end of the pylon under the phaser.
    Yeah, I have not yet decided if I will have any black paneling on the bottom or not. What I am not linking about the visual wobbles down there is it looks like the curvature changes directions. It could though just be a artifact from that "default lights" shading. As it does not present much in render. My original idea was to just panel right over it and see what happens but I have a feeling it will show right through it unless I do some surfacing alterations when I do the panels EG removing edges and messing with the geo some.
    Here is a render of that area, only thing sticking out is the change in angle, I dislike it but only fix for that is to redo the whole aft end so that undercut matches the forward saucer angle.
    jigoku-class-370.jpg
    still at odds to how I let it past. Might have been some of those app crashes and importing in backups and not checking this area had the current subcage prior to collapsing the thing.
    Lizzy777
    Forgot that I did have this started up in clip.
    jigoku-class-331a.jpg
    Lizzy777FreakZhor2395
    Ok, ended up patching up other parts of the hull as I disliked what was there and ended up addressing that lower area some by reshaping the curves some. It still has a voyager-esque bleh but instead it tapers into the main hull vs that weird union thing. It is still a bit naff due to all the loops moving as I had to alter the angle or parts due to work I was doing on the upper part of the hull. So simplified hull flow means less dead nooks. Now all I need to do is figure out how to greeb that backside of the saucer to allow the pulse phasers to sit in there and not look like odd pits. In hindsight I would likely model this part of the ship like I did the IOWA, where the upper and lower hulls wrap around into a pit detail so I could avoid this angled hull bit that is now a flat slope that if I cut anything in it just looks odd due to the 2 angles involved. BAH. I might still be able to do it but woah it'll be a pain as it'll all have to be manually box modeled. Gotta laugh at that as all the work I did tonight could have been simplified some by doing that, I will have to do a doodle I guess to denote what I am imagining.

Some bits-a renders of the carcass and a few shots of the whole ship with the areas in focus.

jigoku-class-371.jpg
    I think this shows the change in blending from the saucer to rear hull bits from what that shader image showed. Least I see it hopefully it shows well enough to you. Far side shows it better than the near side. There is some bleh in the flatter areas but that is just needing some topology changes (I HOPE)
    jigoku-class-372.jpg

At this point I think I will have to just leave it alone or I will end up having to rebuild this entire part of the ship. I mean I already want to fatten up the tail part given the ships scale and alter some other lines.

Euagh full renders will have to wait they are taking forever.
    Lizzy777Brandenberg
    Those full ship images mentioned last post.
    jigoku-class-373.jpg

jigoku-class-374.jpg
    Lizzy777FreakBrandenberg
    Ah a bonus a WTFH is that wireframe!
    jigoku-class-375.png
    yes a load of orphaned edges and WTF, all cause it is a planar surface and I let it roll as it may as planar surfaces are solutions to edge vomit as I can just end them there. remove them or do whatever as itll render flat anyhow! Anyhow it should clarify what is going on in that corner now. I am considering chamfering the vertical torp structure with the hull but have held off as I am not fully sure how I will plate or detail this area as it might lead to me not needing to chamfer it in (round it like a weld or molded corner) Anyhow you can see where my mentioning about being able to have wrapped the shuttle ledge part into a greeb pit in that backside of the hull by continuing that surface into the saucer as a recess.
    Ah heck with it a doodle over to show what I mean. It would have simplified this way, way back to have done thins instead of anything I had done prior in the first place!

oh well,
    jigoku-class-375a.png
    Sorry no real updates just some large wireframes. And more AMD freakys. Had to restart max after spamming my displays to do these caps. I lost all surfacing for solid materials in viewport! lol. Probably have to look to replace this card sooner than I wanted to. Too many gfx cards laying about with mediocre performance. Least I can say is they have better power draw than the old things do.

Anyhow the wires.
    jigoku-class-376.png

jigoku-class-377.png

jigoku-class-378.png

jigoku-class-379.png

Still mulling over my pc build and some of these amd gpu things have me a bit on the fence. BUT a gpu isnt the same as a cpu. . . so maybe there is that.
    xiaorobearLizzy777lewisnivenrojrenFreakLeoBerlinBrandenberg
    Ok new system order is in apparently amazon says itll all be here by sat. . . . heh. Now to see what comes NIB or what is someones tested changed mind and returned and reshipped out. . . sigh.
    Anyhow think this is what i will do for those pulse phasers and a aft facing greeb pit. Though probably sensors in a mount with pulse phasers of all things is probably not best. flash static fuzz clear up flash static fuzz repeat. I figure windows will just be cut on if I put any on that back wall.

jigoku-class-380.jpg
    Lizzy777ashleytingerFreakBrandenberg
  • komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
    I mounted my system for gaming and 3D. But I did choose a Nvidia card for MentalRay. In any event I found a NVidia GPU to be more stable with 3dsmax. I have a Gforce 1060, and it's goind well. That said my CPU is totally an AMD 8 cores something. I like the nvidia with corona and Max 2020, for now.

You were speaking about edges messes. Well, they are still there in 2020. They got a better chamfer, but only in the modifier menu. The one attached to the button is still crap.
    Yeah went for a 3900x 32gigs of ram and a nvme drive.

GPU will be the same rx570 for a while now as gpus are ridiclous atm. 1200usd for 2080s 700usd for 2070s etc. Likely this summer I might go for a 2060 or 2070 of some flavor or other ti super w/e.

Plan is to move to 2019, and vray if it works with 2019.

I was referring to the mesh I had of the edges in my mesh not how max edits em. I tend to avoid doing anything other than chamfers in edge mode. Even then max was always weak in that area as chamfering across in crossing edges not 90deg to the chamfer it will do so unevenly. Meaning all sorts of complex chamfers become a issue and req planning or reorganization of the mesh.

The update,
    small and a bit funny looking as there is no uvw so the surfacing is all stripy but plating in the inset for the pulse phaser emitter. Dunno might undo it all and do something else. . . . . . mmmm
    jigoku-class-382.jpg
    Lizzy777Zhor2395
    edited February 2020 #1485
    Not so exciting of updates, some more panels some roundy things and a few lights.
    jigoku-class-384.jpg
    jigoku-class-385.jpg

someone derped
    amd-derpo.png
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    Lizzy777Zhor2395Freak
    Boo dead stick of ram! ATM the boot drive thing is being a pain. So after 3 failed attempts to get the iso onto a fob, malware10 is installing. Giving the ltsc thing a go first.

So while typing the os installed, well showing the getting ready screen so nearly done. Once done gotta pack the working stick of ram back into the box and off to Khols to let them deal with boxing it up etc and then wait for the glitter ram to show up as everything else was sold out.
    234_678x452.jpg

Anyhow other than the intrusive agree to this crap that I went about turning it all off anything else any 10 users recommend?
    I might get start is back or something like it if I cannot find a way to sort the start menu better and remove a lot of the junk in there. Wont have access unless I steal a ram from my media pc least until monday night. Errands tomorrow or apparently amazon would deliver to me on sunday.

NUTS
    Not really found of flashy thing. It usually mount to more watts being spend. As memory goes I prefer Crucial, Corsair and Kingston. The said, I don't like HyperX from Kingston. I often wonder if gaming memory doesn't mean, less reliable.

Funny thing about 3dsmax, it doesn't use a lot of your memory. I have a 10G of ram, and it barely goes to 3-4G. I think it depends on the render engine, when you have movies to render. I have yet to test Corona in that regard.
    heh for me I generally use it all up. On larger models I have to restart max every 2 hours or so to free it up. Start texturing large ships or planets and youll quickly find yourself running out of ram. I also need it for painting and audio video cache. max 2017 is not as bad as 13 was but I frequently run out.

I have never really had issue with ram except some of the old non heatspreader stuff. I think this is the first time I ever got a DOA stick since I started building pcs back in the early 90s. Most issue were bare sticks getting old and heat killing them or crap collecting on the pcbs.

komaro
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Loving the pulse phaser emitter.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Your RAM just sits on top of your case?
    MadKoiFish
    edited February 2020 #1491
    No that just some photo I googled. I think it is a demo stand at some con, CES etc. They did sell a box with a powered slot set you can see them in some youtube videos but I think when that came out a few yrs back it was a 60usd extra.

I think I like these ram sticks in a box or off than on. When on they are quite bright. I have yet to get the aura software working so once I do I hope to do something simple and dimmer light wise. But I do like the more saturated look if I HAVE to have the lights on.
    2020amd-mkf-build03.jpg?w=300

Here it is in all of it's RGB unicorn puke glory. It is just mounted to a old pull out tray from a old pc as the case is still somewhere back east. The only thing RGB I am impressed with is the AMD cooler. It has frequency settings ffor each channel so as the fan spins up and down it will do that car rim thing you see on a tv. And as seen in the pic itll do strange things while changing color.
    Sadly it does not seem to work well, cpu idles around 52~58c. I have to get all the monitoring software in and do some load tests but I think it wont stick around for very long. Sadly intel amd cannot just go with a standard bolt pattern so I cannot really even consider using this on one of my crappy intel chips that has one of those junky all aluminum HSF on. (the 6600) Cause this AMD cooler is kinda nice except the 90mm fan.

Goal with the RGB crap is to have 2 colors fading between or 2 colors in contrast or something not so garish. Found a suggested vid of something I kinda liked which was a "violet crumble" build on youtube. I wont have RGB fans though unless I get the EKWB AIO that is due out at the end of the month but given how horrible it is to get EKWB stuff here in the US I dunno. Part of why I was looking at a open loop, might cost 300usd but it will be around and usable in 5yrs. AIO tend to get gurgley after 4yrs and thats another 170usd out the door. Maybe more in 2024 as 2013~2020 the things have crept up in price. Currently use redux fans from noctua. Also found most RGB fans use shitty motors and bearings. Rifle bearings on a 20~30usd fan is a joke as that will be dead or noisy in 2yrs or less. Go look those Corsair LL whatevers are like 30usd or more sheesh. Least I think those use a fluid bearing. Many though are rifle or ball raced each are low cycle designs.

Anyhow if anyone did not pick up on that last image a 3900x is 499usd, not a 3990x, which is 4000usd.

Oh also I might vinyl sticker the mobos RGB, it is 1 dim as heck. 2 looks lame, if I was to have lights on the mobo I want accents not stupid words or logos lit up. Light up those power phases or something on the board itself.

Oh another thing all these NVME heatsink things. Do not use em get a nvme drive with one on say like that gigabyte one, pcie4 but it has meh write speeds but the 10$usd more gets you that copper goodness. Because those mobo heatsinks are likely just going to transmit the stupid chipset heat to the nvme vs pulling any heat off the nvme. The lower slot on my board gets fairly hot without anything in there. I suppose this is where say the gigabyte mobo design is better, they just have some sucky IO options. EG low 3.2v2 usb. etc. And that stupid flexing bird logo. YES I avoid gig now because of that dumb logo. Bloody HATE it.
    Though using the master board means little as how many will spend 700usd on a mobo. Damn.
    https://static.bhphoto.com/images/images1000x1000/1568218087_1504836.jpg
    But I think all of thier boards least the 570s use the separate plates on the nvme.
    https://c1.neweggimages.com/ProductImage/13-145-160-V07.jpg
    msi
    https://storage-asset.msi.com/global/picture/image/feature/mb/X570/ACE/X570-ACE.png
    has unioned covers to the chipset like asus. why orange though, nice board otherwise except the IO options. and price.

And yes if anything you splurge on getting a nvme m.2 is a must for boot drive.

attempting to shrink images. . . . . bah they become LINKS!
    edited February 2020 #1492
    Oh man try installing anything in win10 without internet connection series of intteruptions from hell as it cannot connect and send stuff to MS servers. Yes most of it is win defender doing something a simple downloaded blacklist could do.
    And yes only now getting to some of this as I spent 4 hours cleaning cat piss outta the carpet. SIGH.
    And reboots for anything and everything. Matter less now as it takes me longer to type my password in than it does to reboot.

EDIT
    Ugh first lesson of win 10
    Any app be it from elsewhere or downloaded unblock all zips and files before installing or the damned OS will block it and make it run like crap.

Second NEVER NEVER install Amour crate from ASUS for anything Asus unless you want EVERYTHING asus offers. and I mean everything, like 9 updater, bunch of exe and managers for every known RGB devise known to man even if you do not have it present.
    Heck worst is it installs Patriot Viper SSD RGB and Patriot Viper RGB for my G.Skill trident Z Royal ram. . . .
    But seriously I have disabled UAE for its annoyance and about to disable this block crap for it's annoyance. Just on the mobo install files thats like 10 zips I have to unblock one at a time. Pointless to secure things so much that it is a nuisance and people turn it off or hack it out.

AUGH I would hate to have not found this out when Installing max or something else full of thousands of files!

Edit I have found some powershell commands but only pertain to the downloads dir.

Second lesson of win10, lock all network shares and disable full access or it will delete anything it THINKS is bad. Including anything with the word KEY or GEN. Lost a list of software keys and licenses I use for copy paste vs reading type on a crapload of dvds and cds i cannot even use on most pcs here. Also likely lost some images and files, god only knows as I had close to 6tb of shared folders. Still have not found what it is that is doing this to stop it so I might have wasted 1500usd on a pc I cannot connect up to my network for fear of it running amuck in a worse fashion than any VIRUS or Mallware I have ever had on a system INCLUDING blaster.

Can clearly say it is not Storage sense, and not defender as all of that bullshit is turned off. Installing winrar and amd drivers was enough to turn that crap off. Hell just copying the exe files was annoying enough.
    edited February 2020 #1494
    Busy here attempting to get something decent out of Vray.
    Boy aircooler suck! WHIRRRRRR and 81c. . . .
    first go had hope except the huge white thing in the sky that was the light I used. . .
    jigoku-vray-001.jpg
    latter attempts are a bit meh, slots and settings are the same but results are far from it. Does not help I am using 2019 and stock set up so everything is awkward. Attempting atm to get my hdri back in render but all I do and noting happens. Getting subtle hull stuff is well the render says plenty on that front HAH
    jigoku-vray-003.jpg

Might have to reinstall max as I think I deselected some options as all the tut stuff is missing as well as scene files max comes with. Might have disabled something when I thought it was junk extra baggage for software I do not use. :SHRUG

Also thinking of installing 17 to gain access to MR even if it is crap to test render times and as a way to ease into it but then again it could be too much of a way to ease back into using it. -_-. need to move on I think but vray eliminates a lot of the ways I got used to working least in the rendering and lighting sides of things. Materials and the like the UI is very much the same and it is able to use the standard shaders such as COMPOSITE that arnold is just divorced from.

anyhow renders are me just banging away and clicking things vs using any tuts to figure out what some of the terms mean in it.

also if anyone has any idea how to do HDRI without it rendering in the background. ATM everything I do it shows up as a backdrop unlike in MR I could have seprate environment and backdrops.
    RekkertLizzy777FreakBrandenberg
    edited February 2020 #1495
    Well here is another go after figuring out hdri stuff and still fighting exposure and shadows/contrast/ambient. Having to resort to the auto exp setting in the renderer, while results look good they suck because if I select a section of the render it will have a different level of contrast and ambient light. Because well it auto exposes for what is rendered not the entire scene. So need to fix that. As for materials I think I found a way to convert my MR stuff to vray then I can fine tune.

jigoku-vray-004.jpg

I also do not get more than half the render time as it seems to not be improving the render at all. ATM it is some overall updating vs a bucket, but this is roughly whatever vray had set up from the start except anything I mucked with so there might be better settings I have yet to find.

Think I picked up something while cleaning that cat piss that or from pulling the carpet and finding all sorts of GROSS underneath, so I need to go lay down and give this a rest.

vray has some neat tools like in viewport rendering and lq renders in viewport. Sadly gpu render is totally fucking useless as it is CUDA only. More reasons to sadly retire this 570. Though I dunno probably pushing the 3900x will get me output much faster than a 2060 or maybe if I am a prick a 2070. Real draw back is the same with MR at times and with arnold. Viewports are clearly made for some other tool. Often in vray atm it is blown out or atm everything is translucentish, It is like Xray mode. Go fig.

Auto saves sadly are just annoyingly slow and well, annoying. Oh well. Issue is I will once things get moved not have a server that keeps bluescreening every 5 hours. Probably in 8 to 10 hrs I might have more to show.
    FreakLizzy777Brandenberg
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    I love this Pic, it looks like a physical model but without the paint job.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    jigoku-vray-001.jpg

publiusr
    About Windows 10, you have to disable all the privacy stuff. A simple search on google will provide a lot of articles, but it's all time consuming. For all the benefits of a fast install (when it works), it takes hours to setup for privacy and performance.

Stay away from third parties Apps that comes with graphic cards, motherboards. The only one I have kept is Samsung SSD magicians, because it can be useful for diagnostic. Even for my NVidia, i don't install the Experience blah-blah. I can get my updates myself. I agree that it's not always easy to know which one will be useful. Not everything is well explained.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    niiiice.
    acually you need that samsung thing to get the speeds out of those evo gray ssds. I have one on my 4770k system and had to use it when they did the firmware update and it req the software for the write speeds for some reason. I was getting maybe 233Mb.

The settings was something I did right off, though there all over so heh who knows if I got em all. I think I have some group policy ones left. It still isnt as bad as android though Good example is my phone on battery and on metered internet just forced a update and tied my phone up for the last 5 min with it. Phones should never force update. If I had to make a call, if I was on the highway and someone was dieing and my phone was updating. . . . . just do not get it. Least this time it was at 70% last time I had maybe 15% batt left. heh.

Anyhow the worst win10 has pulled so far were those 2 things I mentioned. Deleting files and borking up installs with some annoying security bs. All fixed byt disabling defender and that thing pretending to be a OS file cleaner and a few group edit settings. Needless to say the win7 pcs are more secure. More so as win10 has a much higher target rate.
    but hey gotta have new hdw, cant avoid it unless you want to jump hoops and run across hardware related foolery as things do not work 100%

As for crapware I rip that shit out as it installs. I hate huge amounts of crap apps running in the bg. GPU software often you have to allow it to install to get the control panel UI. AMD installs or rather has a buttload of streamer BS packaged into the driver package. I am sure though I probably could have gotten by with just a raw driver file in the unpacked installer.

Ai suite went on cause I am being lazy and I wanted to see the silly cpu meters crank up (pool rate on new ver does suck though so not as satisfying) It also allows super lazy on the fly fan curves. (speed fan does not always install right or hook into the hdw nodes.

Oh on the 3d side I have to say the vray conversion thing is annoying in max2019 as max is geared for art or some other render as default and attempts it's buggy slow conversion itself. Vray one isnt available until you change the base render tool. Once there though it supposedly changes things but all the materials are still in MR UI not the promised VRayMtl. So I have to mess around with that likely I will have to manually convert things. YUCK.
    I think what I should do is return to installing package suites into the pc and get to converting over my system so I can get that pc set up with my main display set vs working on these tiny LG ultrawides. I think I have just wacomcrud, PSP7, SAI, MIRC and FIREFOX latter being the one I will need to spend a hour fixing and altering. Heck clip studio and max are going to take a while to bring over set ups and changes. Wish they all would just have some sort of full layout workflow back up system.

really hard as all I want to do is play around in max and vray.
    Freak wrote: »
    I love this Pic, it looks like a physical model but without the paint job.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    jigoku-vray-001.jpg

HAH that is just base material and took maybe 15sec to render.
    edited February 2020 #1500
    You should try Corona, if you can. I was pleasantly surprised with version 3.0. Not a very wide range of materials, but it accept most of the 3dsmax other textures (exception of metallic). I never got around Vray, tried it a few times without much success.
    Post edited by komaro on
    Well vray except a few rendering settings is much like mental ray. So it isnt that large of a change it is just how the settings affect things EG getting my subtle hull textures etc are a bit harder. I would set things one way and results were as posts way out there or not enough. It is just a matter of figuring out what i need to do to get the results. Example the HDR enviroment set up in mr I used a chromeball shader etc. In Vray I have to assign a HDRI shader to a dome light. It actually has more controls and I can even light entire scenes with it if I wish. Also vray was sorta free, I got a license for some work I did. I was just not sure if it would work with 2019. installed no issue. WELL that I know of!

Also I do not touch rental ware.
    komaro