Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice. I like the pattern.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    Getting the little holes in, I might have lightened that grid material a bit too much. Wanted it to be just more metallic but eugh. I do need to go around and unify everything on this ship. ATM I dunno what outside trim material is used on the panels on the saucer. Well more like do not remember. Likely do that once I get these windows and rooms in.
    tsukuru-nx-0540.jpg
    tsukuru-nx-0541.jpg
    I also need to look at adding more interference edges into the base of the struts (AO shading errors) or adjust the shader to higher settings so it does not shade the wire frame loops. Also need to decide what materials I want around that docking port.
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777FreakBrandenberg
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    It's looking great.
    Holes with rooms and mapping lights etc. Gotta reweld those window polies in and detach and remap the panels to break up that texture, probably should adjust it some to tone down the darkside reflectiveness.

tsukuru-nx-0542.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0543.jpg
    evil_genius_180FreakLizzy777Brandenberg
    Those look great with the interior boxes behind them.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    agreed
    Ok other side has complete holes rooms etc. Maybe time to move elsewhere for a while and return to the belly glass if I put any down there.

tsukuru-nx-0544.jpg
    tsukuru-nx-0545.jpg
    evil_genius_180McCashleytingerLizzy777FreakBrandenberg
    Well, spent most of the free time so far screaming at FF as I hunt for a new cookie manager as this quantum crap has made almost all of my addons jump ship and something is changed so I have to use container tabs to run any of these managers. -_-. None properly ID the cookies either so it is a guess which are logins prefs etc.

ANYHOW rest of it is spent fooling with edges to eliminate that AO puke in the root of the strut. I have gotten most of it, rest will have to rely on higher settings in the shader. There are some bits I probably should have merged in the detached bits and chamfered the edges across. This close up you can see some of the segments. I doubt I will ever render this close. Ok well I spent a few merging bits in and chamfering out that stuff anyhow sheesh. lol

tsukuru-nx-0550.jpg
    tsukuru-nx-0551.jpg

scroll up to see this area before in roughly the same view.
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777Brandenberg
    edited July 2019 #1090
    All the panels are rewelded with the window sections then detached in groups for UVWing. Thinking about it I wonder if I should detach the sub panels and be uvwed vs the larger panels.
    tsukuru-nx-0554.jpg
    tsukuru-nx-0555.jpg
    One thing that bugs me is how the lifeboats go all muddy in the shadows vs in the sun. Been fooling with those on and off but they still seem weak.

render from lastnight as a overview of the topside of the ship.
    tsukuru-nx-0548.jpg
    Post edited by Guerrilla on
    FreakChlorelevil_genius_180Lizzy777BrandenbergZhor2395
    Screaming at Firefox is a one sided argument. (the voice of experience)

The model is looking fantastic. That top render is really hot.
    Been a real flitty day today, only a half hour so far and most of that was looking about what to do decided that I needed to clutter up these window areas. Basicly looking to replicate what I did with the IOWA model. I probably should just blank these and redo them with a more complex face than just poly shaped openings on a flat surface.

tsukuru-nx-0558.jpg
    tsukuru-nx-0559.jpg
    hate to say it looking at the ship there are other areas I would like to alter if I were to restart her. mostly balance of the saucer size to the rest of it and likely messing with the struts and nacelle placement in height and how far apart they are.
    evil_genius_180BrandenbergLizzy777
    Attempting to break up the sides of the neck upper secondary to get mapping on it without unwrapping crap. Also allows visual break up across this area as well. Having a hell of a time as detaching and applying symmetry has lost me work multiple times so far.

tsukuru-nx-0560.jpg
    tsukuru-nx-0561.jpg
    evil_genius_180BrandenbergLizzy777
    I think the windows look good and I see nothing wrong with the shape.
  • Cannj12Cannj120 Posts: 4Member
    Love all the updates. Fantastic looking model. Thanks for sharing.
    edited August 2019 #1096
    Start a render from last night,
    tsukuru-nx-0562.jpg

Next up is messing about with those panels on the strut undersides as I decide how I want these to appear. I think I need to sit down and rethink all the materials on this and get myself some more subtle changes in tone and color. I am leaning at making this Galaxy/VOY blue, that bluegreen egg color. It is somewhat that tone now but the lighting is warm on the ship atm so it hides it a bit. Only issue is this is a 80700 registry that puts it post Titan (luna) and much further along than my IOWA and the Onimaru (thought that is suppose to be prior) I suppose I could go find a 75K registry string someplace and stick this post D.

tsukuru-nx-0564.jpg

And yes, the deflector looks like it got broken. Likely some lum mats got overwrittren. Somehow when I was merging in things materials got swapped around or got multiple instances IE hull was ID1 and later became ID 24. -_-. Max does do this sort of thing once in a while be it a cat smashing single button hotkeys (who's fucking idea is that???) Or freaks out. EXP when models get large. It also does not help I think this one was started on 2010 and migrated to 2013. ANYHOW. None of that really affects I need to redress materials placement and the materials themselves.

Also been mulling over if I want to put sensor valleys like on the VOYAGER around the flat areas of the deflector housing area and along the struts. I had planned to do greeble pits like on the Onimaru in select areas of the hull hence why the saucer has those rounded valleys in it.

oh lol I had planned to post some images of them but none are online. have to upload some.

overview image of the onimaru
    onimaru-v7-1176.jpg?w=600
    almost cringy. Shie was almost the filler project as the whole underside is unfinished but the materials and some areas are eugh.
    Some of those pits mentioned,
    onimaru-v7-1005.jpg

since I mentioned it here are some overviews of the IOWA model
    iowa-0521.jpg
    iowa-0509.jpg

Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    evil_genius_180ChlorelLizzy777Freak
    edited August 2019 #1097
    Sorta hate to bring this up as I have done so much work on the struts so far but pushed the nacelles inboard a bit. Not sure if I will commit to it but figured I would put it out there. Opinions?
    Screen caps once sorta positioned like the last posts angle to compare. Oh and ignore that 8m poly count. If you can believe it most of that is the "crew" for the SOTL render. I should excise them from the file. Also I think those 2 aft interiors are very poly heavy too trees n shit.

tsukuru-nx-0565.jpg
    tsukuru-nx-0566.jpg
    tsukuru-nx-0567.jpg
    old spacing.
    tsukuru-nx-0568.jpg
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    evil_genius_180
    Some wires of where it sits. you can see there things align for patching in and what will be lost in that action. Red is new bits pink is the old ones, or rather what will be patched into.

I however am really tempted to block out that inner detail on the nacelle so I can draw the nacelles further back and have the strut intersect over that detail. The nacelles are mirrored centrally so each half is reflected of the outside so nothing says I can just yank off that detail when I get to collapsing the nacelles for asymmetric detailing.

anyhow mess of wires and PNG cause well the png were much smaller than jpgs of the same thing. . . . . lol
    tsukuru-nx-0571.png
    tsukuru-nx-0572.png
    tsukuru-nx-0573.png
    tsukuru-nx-0574.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777
  • LoopholeLoophole48 Posts: 67Member
    I've always liked wider nacelles but the narrower spacing looks alright as well. Personally I would keep them how they were, but ultimately it's your choice. Either way it's a really good looking ship. It's amazing how you can design something so original without compromising sensible design choices.
    Standing among giants
    Patched in new strut bits a while back and decided I should render out a sample to test it.
    tsukuru-nx-0578.jpg
    Reason why I am going through with the change is due to top down views and a few other areas the wider nacelles just look odd and ill fitting as they are nearly as wide as the saucer. While I liked the angles of the struts to the nacelles on the old layout better in multiple views it just works out better and gives a feeling of height to the ship even though it is not any taller. As I think about it I probably should have dragged the front corner of the strut instead of sweeping the rear forward.

tsukuru-nx-0577.jpg
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777ashleytingerFreak
    I like it. It's a subtle change but a nice one. :)
    All the final welding and rebuilding of the edges I need, rather want on the strut are cut. I wanted a specific amount of edges to flow parallel to the leading edge to a certain point so cutting and excising the original geo. Most of the grids are back in except the few near that transporter emitter and the junction areas are all worked back in. Also managed to smooth out some of the remaining AO shadowing from my last attempt to clean that up without adjusting parameters.
    tsukuru-nx-0579.jpg
    tsukuru-nx-0580.jpg
    He looking at those multimonitor caps I sure hope max does not do that funky super wide angle lens effect when I migrate to a large 4k display.
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777ashleytinger
    That looks really nice. :)
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    That is such a beautiful ship. It is a once-in-a-lifetime design with gorgeous lines. And of course you did it beautifully. Hats off. Now to go home and cry in my soup (I wish I'd thought of it).
    >_>

Well, the exhausts are back in. Renders are probably taking longer than the work.
    delayed even more by food tv and laundry! hah

tsukuru-nx-0581.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0582.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0583.jpg

evil_genius_180Lizzy777
    Suckers are back in, collectors or whatever they are.
    tsukuru-nx-0584.jpg

tsukuru-nx-0585.jpg

watched some old anime had a good laugh 2019 Neo Tokyo. . . . more so the 2020 Olympics. god I feel old.
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180Lizzy777Brandenberg
    Whatever they are, I like them.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Watched some old anime had a good laugh 2019 Neo Tokyo. . . . more so the 2020 Olympics. god I feel old.

If you don't mind my asking, what decade are you in?
  • LoopholeLoophole48 Posts: 67Member
    Maybe they're something along the lines of a Bussard collector.
    Standing among giants
    According to the old technical manuals, the pylons have flush intakes. Though, that makes no sense on a space ship, so maybe we'll not go with the old tech manuals. ;)
    Well space is a rarefied environment. Look at fluid dynamics if you have a cup of stuff in order to get that stuff to come out you need something to push that stuff out as it will remain in the cup. (I say liquid environ as it negates gravity some. Watch some of the ISS footage and youll see liquid stays in the cup. So if the cup had a hole in the other end you can get that fluid to either leave by that hole or use that hole to displace that liquid. Now I have no idea if rareified matter or whatever in space has enough "push" to flush a closed system out but they could emit particles at the mouth of the intakes to push the plasma out the exits. Think of a hoop shaped ion thruster or one of those stupid overpriced dyson fans.

You could argue though that the palsma is under pressure and would just push out into space. So eh SHRUG.

This ship specificly has a lot of deflection and field shaping on the belly for wavefront transwarp exp stuff and other experimental things. (think of the things said in that OH SO GREAT VOY ep where janeway and paris turned into salamanders and had babies. . . . . . ugh. I had originally made the nacelles as clamped on devices but later did not use that idea due to time constraints of building the model.