Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9712 Posts: 5,302Member
    small break from the nacelles to address the engine pit.

iowa-0105.jpg

iowa-0106.jpg
    JES
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    really like this ship - this is what the defiant should have been - it feels far more aggressive looking while still looking more like a federation ship
    Well given the times back when DS9 was on I think they wanted to distance from the classic look of trek for some reason. I do not have the pecs but I can bet this thing is at least 2X maybe even 3X the size of the defiant. Not sure if I could use this shape as a ship that size without issues. but yeah I do know what you mean though.

back to dem nacelles.

iowa-0108.jpg

iowa-0110.jpg

Ignore the warp grids and bussard grills as they are reuse materials and not tuned yet. I am still not sure what I want to do with these parts. Too many TOS era ships of late I think :p
    JES
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Digging those nacelles.
    Quick update to the surfacing on the glow bits.

iowa-0112.jpg

iowa-0113.jpg
    JES
    Probably the last update of the year :p Mostly small changes and fooling with the warp guts etc. Cloned them onto the ship to give everyone a look as to how they appear on the ship itself.

iowa-0115.jpg

iowa-0116.jpg

iowa-0118.jpg

iowa-0119.jpg

iowa-0120.jpg
    JES
  • CreativeZollerCreativeZoller61 Posts: 0Member
    Amazing :) Can I ask what materials and light setup do you use for the w.i.p renders?
    mr-settings.png
    give or take as I adjust as needed due to lum elements lighting and detail.
    Lights are all MR omnis. I have mentioned all of these things in detail i think in this thread.

Biggest tip is your materials matter more than lighting or render set up. EXP when using mental ray.
    Apollo1701
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    I like the aft pincers....
  • BarricadeBarricade198 Posts: 180Member
    Madkoifish, keep that current nacelle layout for later. Something tells me you could make one hell of a lightsaber handle out of it with barely any alterations to it.

-=-

Although, on the newest batch of warp nacelle images, the second image (the one with the bussard collector facing left), is that a mesh error I see just behind the bussard? Where the lower 'lip' of the hull turns about 45 degrees upwards? Or is that just a trick of the lighting?

-=-

As an aside: Are you going to update that Klingon WIP you posted over at pixiv? Because I -miss- seeing that design get worked on.

As a further aside: Good taste in Touhou (but needs more Youmu). :D
    That is just the surfacing map being pinched and picking up a gloss hit from the lighting. Least that is the only thing I can think of that could be seen as a mesh error. I dunno where this ship is going atm as I am mostly working on OC models and the textures for the tos connie, well updating and altering them. I was getting a bit tired of all the I WANT SHIZ FOR FREE related to trek work and kind of moved away from original trek design work.

The Klingon ship is dead. I probably wont touch it again.

But she is a DORK. . . . heh
    maybe that is a bit dated have some radioactive raven instead.

WIP
    okuu-01color1c.jpg?w=500

speaking of stale memes
    touhou-dorks-002.jpg?w=300
    JES
  • the Animaniacthe Animaniac179 Posts: 138Member
    You said the Klingon Cruiser is dead and you wont touch it again, i would Love to Finish it, when you allowed it?
    More Utsuho is always awesome, but once an Okuu, always an Okuu.

Me, I'm a Sakuya, Youmu, Reisen fanboy.

-=-

And yes, please put up whatever you have left of the Klingon ship for adoption. It really -is- a good looking hull (I know, I've commented enough about it over at your Pixiv account), and I'd hate for it to just rot away.
    Sorry I do not hand out meshes anymore. If someone wants to use the design and work from the WIP images be my guest.
    No Problem, if you have the WIP-Images i give it a Try.
    Just realized with F3d gone/down I do not have much of anything online right now in regards to the WIP progress. So give me some time to upload or locate the content and make a blog post/gallery.

I lost a tonne of WIP images/links when I tried to sort media on WP. Still wish they had some sort of folder organization thing vs ALL IN ONE PLACE as it is a real PITA to back link content or reference content on forums etc.

Last wip images I am seeing in the base gallery, have to check the WIP gallery though but I think that whole blog came after.

man this site is a PITA to do linked images.

cruiser-3461.jpg

cruiser-3421.jpg

cruiser-3411.jpg

Looking at the dates this is almost a year ago.

I MIGHT readdress this in a loose design sense but likely it would be going way back to the early block in phase as it has a lot of stuff I liked back then that was lost over time. The gallery is up on the WIP blog and should be downloadable.

Not sure how much help they are other than what I uploaded at wp.
    Some old old wip images I found on the other wp account. They might be here in this thread too.

https://madkoifish.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/shiplight-02.jpg
    https://madkoifish.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/cruiser-010.jpg
    https://madkoifish.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/cruiser-009.jpg
    https://madkoifish.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/cruiser-007.jpg
    https://madkoifish.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/cruiser-008.jpg
    https://madkoifish.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/cruiser-006.jpg
    https://madkoifish.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/cruiser-005.jpg
    doodle
    https://madkoifish.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/klingon-001b.jpg

Everything on DA is gone so rely on the blog or PIXIV
    JES
    Even if you let the model die, might I suggest that you tuck away those disruptor mini-turrets spread across the hull, for later use? Those things have serious potential for possible future models.

I also always did like how you made it look like there -could- have been two cramped shuttlebays on either side of the head section. Only big enough for a single shuttle (fighter?) but still, those notches you left there are a neat change from the standard 'bulb' shape Klingon ships seem to prefer.
    If you mean those large round things those are airlocks.

Sort of mulling about aimlessly atm as I do not feel like painting more gunge on the connie and do not want to work on the existing OC stuff so after messing about and looking at old meshes I found this old romulan raptor model used in the Daedalus SOTL image (2015). So far all I have done is correct the background enviro settings and some alterations in the AO mapping on the ship and some fooling with those "feathers".
    The idea is to go in and replace all the quick mapping to at least make the paneling be a separate uvw and add in some detail. I also am thinking of adding in the bird decal as that was hand painted in post. I ended up having to model this ship in like a week so it is not really suitable for close ups. I could probably find more wrong with it design wise that I would want to redo but for now it is just a facelift while my interest in it exists. :p

raptor-094.jpg

raptor-095.jpg

raptor-096.jpg

raptor-097.jpg

raptor-098.jpg
    JES
    Mostly ran about upping poly count in areas and screwing around with the materials as I sorta lost that blue green effect was was wanting to eliminate the TMP plating look. So in the end I got this army green thing going on. . . . oops. Still need to tweak the surfacing so that the highlights are a bit stronger and not to muted. I think this is due to retaining falloffs on the reflective color vs just setting it to 0 which is white.

I have a feeling I will be redoing the nacelles from scratch as the narrowness still bothers me.

raptor-099.jpg

raptor-100.jpg
    Dark AngelJES
    Make you no Stress, i had to finish one of my Models, that can take One or Two Weeks, but thanks in advance!
    No prob. I just put that stuff up as I had the time not to mention the realization that a lot of the WIP content was not accessible, least through ways I know of.
    Mess of chamfering and some altering of parts added in something onto those flat gray areas and put some aft vents in for no particular reason other than to make that flat area look like it was there for some reason vs just adding visual form. Guessing they would be early stage plasma flush vents. I am still racking my head about what ideas I had intended for this model way back when I slapped it together.

I do vaugely remember wanting the fin to be a large sensor array to justify the presence of it as well as some slight canon of the BOPss being atmospheric and a large fin like this would stabilise the hull some in an atmosphere. Maybe why this thing makes me think of a car with wings at times. EXP those low 3/4 front renders.

Things I am considering changing are the feather struts or struts themselves to be more than large blocks. And then look at doing something with those aft nacelle bits as I really dislike the narrowness of them. Maybe dump the TOS like chrome vent things for something more like the ENT version. Which if I remember is much larger than this, I did not use those in the image originaly as I did not have time to spend making a acurate model of the ship seen in ENT, that and I figure with one of my renders people look forward to something new. I hope. . . . .

raptor-103.jpg?w=400

raptor-104.jpg?w=400

raptor-105.jpg?w=400
    JES
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    I think this is one of the best Romulan designs I've seen. Nice work, Dan. :thumb:
    raptor-107.jpg
    Changed the curvature of the central blister thing and while I was modeling other parts I decided to clean up the layers on this project as I was getting insane crap like "box 234897" this is due to a issue of importing a mesh from a while back that somehoe screws up the max numbering. I I went hunting for the one object that is miss numbered and to rename all objects. I found some ghost objects not allowing me to remove some layers GRRR (still looking for those)

ANYHOO, I found these nacelles in one of the layers.

raptor-109.jpg
    I think I dumped them due to time and relation to ENT and the fact I had to repurpose this to SOTL.

Not a big update as the most current work really is not on these renders (visible) but hey figured I should put these up and see what others think. Sorta fenced myself but lots of other things have sapped up desision making lately with the HTPC takeing a turd on itself (spewing caps)
    JES
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice, remember loving this when it was first being developed, one of my faves of your designs, wasn't it a more TOS style creamy white before? Am liking the TNG style Romulan green make over though.
    Nope it was green from the get go as it was modeled to go with the daedalus class ships for 2015.

You are likely thinking of the model for the post balance of terror set ups, a much older model. But a just post TOS one.

startrek-ambush-v2-1920web.jpg

rom-raider-189a.png
    Not much visual difference in shapes but this one sort of had to fall into line with the ENT model we saw as the Romulan Wars as shortly after ENT. I had not time to model a replical model so I slapped this thing together. This one though is probably a third smaller in scale to the latter gray/white ship.
    JES
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Aaah, yeah, that's the one. Love that design.
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    I like the shape of these nacelles better.
    Chamfered up the existing panels and added some more to the upper hull. Still som eplaces that need more chamfering to eliminate some of the obvious segs. I am not to happy with how things are joined up on this model as it really seems to break the existance of it. Maybe breaking it up into more paneled parts and doing something with the way some parts intersect will help some. ATM I am mostly eyeing the central hull as I plan to work outwards. The struts are likely to be replaced entirely. Times I think maybe I should have rebuilt this from scratch instead of polishing the turd. It all could also be the colour is putting me off. I do plan to add some other shades of green like on the ENT model as that had 3 or 4 shades.

raptor-112.jpg

raptor-113.jpg

raptor-114.jpg
    JES
  • floodcasso2floodcasso2259 Posts: 124Member
    really liking this romulan ship. The "feathers" are a cool touch! I agree there is something off about the color but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's just that there isnt enough contrast between the hull and some of the panels on the surface? Not sure.